Start by marking “Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)” as Want to Read:
Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)

Absolution (Anderson & Costello #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  39 reviews
It's been twenty years since Police Detective Alan McAlpine has set foot in Patrickhill Station-and more than twenty years since he fell forever in love with the mute, faceless woman he called Anna as she lay dying in Glasgow's Western Infirmary. Daily, he'd watched over her, and they had begun to communicate with each other, she by moving her wounded fingers. Her fingers ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Pegasus Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Absolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolution

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinBlack and Blue by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBride
Tartan Noir
136th out of 244 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Colin Murtagh
I tried this out on the recommendation of a friend, who I recommended Stuart MacBride to :).
Another Scottish crime novel, this time based in my home town of Glasgow. I'm really pleased I tried it out. Looking at it now, it's advertised as book 1 of Anderson and Costello, although while reading it, it looks like book 1 of McAlpine.
All 3 are detectives searching for a serial killer stalking the west end, seemingly randomly slaughtering women, in a manner reminiscent of Jack the Ripper.
At the sam
Linda Strong
A thoroughly good mystery!

Alan McAlpine is a young rookie when he's given the 'babysitting' job of a young, once-beautiful, very pregnant woman who had the misfortune of being the target of someone with a vat of acid. The baby is delivered, but the woman who has not been identified cannot speak and thanks to the acid she has no face. Alan spends a lot of time with her, knows she is dying, and falls forever in love.

Skip forward 22 years later, DCI McAlpine is called in to head the investigation
Tracey Alley
Absolution was one of the most brilliant character driven novels I've ever read. The pacing is perfect with ever increasing tension and twists and turns exposing new questions to be answered. I had never heard of this author before but I will certainly be looking for more of his work.
I read this book under a bit of a false premise, I thought this was the beginning of a series featuring DCI McAlpine rather than Anderson and Costello......only realised my mistake at the end when for obvious reasons I went looking for the reason why I had thought this.....must have mistaken Anderson for McAlpine before starting to read, which obviously left me with the understanding that this was the beginning of a series, just got the wrong bloke.....anyway enough of that! Although that's real ...more
Alan Hughes

When no less an authority on the crime genre than Val McDermid grants the royal seal of approval to a novel, attention must be paid. Caro Ramsay's Absolution is the latest recipient of the McDermid largesse, and this is undoubtedly one of the most impressive debut novels in the field in some time. Of course, the Glasgow setting is familiar territory for aficionados of the tough modern crime novel (and hard-edged Scottish crime writing has been pretty thoroughly colonised by such writers as Ian R

RATING: 4.75

I think most readers are on a universal quest to find books that are exceptional and in which they can completely immerse themselves. On average, I read ten books per month and although I may enjoy many of them, very few knock my socks off. So imagine my surprise when I found that a debut novel by an unknown Scottish writer did exactly that.

Alan McAlpine is a police detective who has been unable to put away the ghosts of his past. Almost twenty years earlier, he was involved in a cas
ABSOLUTION is the first book from this Scottish author, with the second - Tambourine to be released 2008. There's obviously something in the water in Scotland - or maybe it's all that time stuck indoors in the long cold winters, but the number of assured, confident books coming out of that place is getting to the startling stage. ABSOLUTION is definitely assured, with a story-telling style that is absolutely enthralling.

The main component of the book is the hunt for the serial killer - the 'Cruc
Sep 11, 2010 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beth by:

"Glasgow, 1984

Police Cadet Alan McAlpine has just returned to duty at Partickhill Station after the death of his brother who, while serving with the Customs Service, drowns when he tries to save a man who fell from a boat that has been rammed. To ease the twenty year-old back into the service, he is assigned to protect a young woman who is dying, her body so damaged after an attack with acid, there is no hope for her recovery. The police know where she lived, but there is nothing there that give
ABSOLUTION (Pol. Proc-Alan McAlpine-Glasgow, Scotland-Cont) – Okay
Ramsey, Caro – 1st book
Michael Joseph, 2007, UK Hardcover - ISBN: 9780718150020

First Sentence: White.

In 1984, PC Alan McAlpine, working out of Partickhill station, was assigned to stand guard over a young woman who had been attacked with acid. McAlpine becomes obsessed with the young woman and devastated when she commits suicide.

Now in 2006, is a Detective Chief Inspector and back at Partickill. He and his team are faced with a k
Iain McGregor
A well written, interesting, true to life tale of mistreatment and subsequent murder, populated by a cast of misfits, the down-trodden and tired but dedicated police personnel. It certainly makes you wonder who would want to be a detective after reading this! The story jogs along at a decent pace and each twist and turn brings one nearer to the discovery of the identity of the murderer - dubbed 'Christopher Robin'.

An extremely good book for those who like their tales to be rooted in reality, th
Amy Rhodes
Interesting; just finished this and was a bit un-taken with the main detective but now that I see the title here, I realize that I had the emphasis on the wrong syl-LA-ble as my mother would say. Now that I see there are more titles with the more junior cops at the center, I think I will keep going. Oh, yes, another Scottish series. (figured all my followers assume as much these days :))
From the back cover:
1984 - It looked like a simple job. That was why they gave it to him. Guarding a woman - nameless and almost faceless after a savage acid attack - at a Glasgow hospital, PC Alan McAlpine has no idea that this simple job will haunt his career and change his life forever.

2006 - Two decades later, Alan steps into Partickhill police station and back in time. Now a celebrated Detective Chief Inspector, McAlpine has been drafted in to lead the hunt for a man the press are calling t
Really really good. Once again I wish Goodreads had more stars in its rating system: this is a qualitative leap from the average 3 star mystery. Characters, not caricatures. Grit not glitz.
3.5/5 stars. It was entertaining, and I would try another one from her. I found there to be too many coincidences and the writing was rather disjointed/hard to follow at times.
Flora Wyllie
This was a new author for me and it was a great read. It was good yo relate to the characters and places. Lots of twists and turns and a great ending.
Tedious. Didn't finish it
enjoyed this and am now lookibg for the next one in the series
Tracy Grant
I loved the book, really fast, easy to read and lots of twists. I did guess the killer, fairly early on and thought they were a bit stupid not to see it. But there was a lot else going on to confuse them. It was really two stories twisted into 1. The only issue I had was that I felt there was too much left unsaid about the lives of the main characters and I didnt understand most of the undercurrents that went on. This may be explained in other books though.
I am a quarter of the way through and loving it so far. Interesting characters, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Finished it. Didn't mind how it ended, just didn't like how the ending was written. I had the murderer figured out, and I had the "other part" figured out, although some red herrings throughout to make me wonder a bit. Four stars because it is a first novel.
Mary Kay
As we know, I am very fond of British police procedurals. This one takes place in Scotland & involves a very nasty serial killer of young women the killer perceives as immoral. There's a 22-year-old back story with the DCI in charge of the case that sends him right around the bend. The characters were all very well rendered & I'm looking for a sequel.
Lynda Irene
Loved the twisting, unexpected plot. I could have used a chart to keep track all the different characters. Some of the lingo was a bit confusing as well, but that foreignness was also charming. Towards the end of the book a few the story elements were handled awkwardly, but all in all it was a compelling story that I was hard pressed to put down.
I don't usually go for murder mystery, but this one hooked me with it complex characters and the emotional yearning the main character felt throughout the span of the story. The love stories where lovely and the ending was what I expected (and felt was poetically perfect). Note: brief sex scene about 2/3 way through.
For a first novel this wasn't bad, but it could have been tightened up quite a bit. Too much time spent on the lives of the investigators and not enough on the actual investigation. The atmosphere was good, the characters well drawn and I will certainly read her next novel as this one showed great promise.
A very good first novel. A detective story set in Glasgow. I would think Caro's next books will be even better as I have heard her talking about how she wrote this book and although it is a great first book, I think she has learnt a lot from writing it and her next books should be even stronger.
A procedural set in Glasgow. This is a first book for the author. It had more promise than it delivered. For one thing it seemed people were popping up in scenes unexpectedly, like they had snuck into the room when you weren't looking. I'd consider reading the next one.
Rosa Macpherson
Enjoyed although signposted too much as we draw near to the conclusion. Could tell who the villain of the piece was but the array of charcaters and their relationships grabs you . There's unexpected stuff too. Yes, Caro Ramsay is definitely on my list from now on.
Instantly, thoroughly enjoyable. Characters complex and very well depicted, writing workmanlike, by which I men well done and, for me the perfect balance of place and description and with excellent dialogue. Multiple plot strands well-worked.
This was actually a gift from Christmas 2009 that I seemingly took forever to get round to reading. I’m glad I did though, as it’s a very good read and a strong debut novel. It did something that most crime novels don’t any more-it surprised me…
Great to read the first in the series, to fill in some of the gaps-I had read these out of order-once again Ramsay has produced believable characters and situations, totally rocks the whole police force etiquette or lack of!
Pretty good, especially for a debut novel. The story ran a little long, and some parts of the plot seemed a little too coincidentally intertwinned, but certainly looks good as the start of a promising series.
  • The Bullet Trick
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Random
  • Bad Blood
  • Crimespotting: An Edinburgh Crime Collection
  • Spider Light
  • Where It Hurts (Gus Murphy, #1)
  • The Storm Without
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • The Blood Detective
  • The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #1)
  • The Collaborator of Bethlehem
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • All Fall Down
Caro Ramsay was born and educated in Glasgow. She has been writing stories since she was five years old, developing a keen interest in crime fiction and a passion for the genre that lead her to write Absolution, her first novel.
More about Caro Ramsay...

Anderson & Costello (6 books)
  • Singing to the Dead (Anderson & Costello, #2)
  • Dark Water (Anderson & Costello, #3)
  • The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello, #4)
  • The Night Hunter (Anderson & Costello # 5)
  • The Tears of Angels ( Anderson & Costello, #6).