Start by marking “Laying a Foundation (Love Under Construction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Laying a Foundation (Love Under Construction, #1)

Laying a Foundation (Love Under Construction #1)

He has no idea how sexy he is.

Even as a successful construction business owner, Tony Walters' ex-wife's mental illness almost drove him over the edge. Living too many years loveless and abused has left him afraid to try to meet another woman, much less form a relationship.

She's just too shy to even meet his eyes.

In one instant left a childless widow, Nikki Wilkes could
Published August 10th 2013 by Deanndra Hall

To ask other readers questions about Laying a Foundation, please sign up.

Annette The big reveal of the family secrets. Specifically Clayton's monologue. I laughed so hard. Unfortunately it was after midnight and I woke hubby!
Early One Morning by Aubree LaneTropical Dreams by Kelly CozzoneThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDeadly Thyme by R.L. Nolen
Summer Page Turners
186 books — 357 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesBackstage Pass by Olivia Cunning
Best Erotica
2,030 books — 2,151 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara Ingram
Heat Level: 4 flames out of 5
Rating: 5 stars out of 5

Review:
*****5 Fanning Myself Stars*****

After reading the short novella of this series, The Groundbreaking, I knew I was in for a wild ride, but never in my wildest dreams would I become so connected to the Walters famil
Angie
Apr 12, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads Review Team.

Before reading Laying a Foundation be sure to read The Groundbreaking, it will introduce you to all the characters in the Love Under Construction series.

Laying a Foundation is Tony Walters and Nikki Wilkes book. Tony is the owner of one of Kentucky’s most successful construction companies. Nikki works in a flower shop. Nikki is still dealing with the loss of her husband and two grown children, Tony is miserable
Deborah Bean
Apr 16, 2014 Deborah Bean rated it it was amazing
OMG, you just have to read this book! At first I thought it was just going to be a romance/erotica story. It was so much more. There was a mystery that lasted until almost the end of the book. Then just when you thought that everything was sunshine and roses, BAM!, there comes a twist that you were not expecting. This book had me laughing, mad, tearing up, and shaking my head. These characters are just so colorful that you cannot help but to fall in love with them. One thing that I loved about ...more
Erica
Apr 06, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
I don't do spoilers, just know that this is an amazing love story, Very well written, characters you can identify with, no whiny heroines and believable relationships.
Good, strong characters dealing with circumstances that are real to life, not some out there made up kind of thing that nobody would believe.

Laying a Foundation is an emotional story, I recommend reading The Groundbreaking to get acquainted with the characters and their stories, it's a big help getting to know the history behind e
Shelly
May 31, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it
I read ‘Laying a Foundation’ after reading the prequel, ‘The Groundbreaking’. I don’t’ think it’s necessary to read these two stories in that order because The Groundbreaking, a novella, only introduces the characters who are going to be in the series. It delivered a nice bit of background for each main character but I wouldn’t say that it’s required reading for full enjoyment.

This self-published piece is a plus novel; my ePub version was about 320 pages of single spaced story, there’s a lot of
Lisa Zeigler
Oct 06, 2014 Lisa Zeigler rated it really liked it
I enjoy a book where the main characters are older and an opportunity for second chance love. Tony Walters is 57, and owns a very successful construction company. His personal life is very sad based on his ex-wife’s comments, tearing down his self-confidence with women.

Nikki Wilkes, 51, works in a flower shop and spends her free time alone. She lost her husband and two grown children five years ago in an accident. Her parents cut her out of their lives and she is on her own.

Nikki and Tony see e
Peggy
Aug 11, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
Tony and Nikki Are the main characters and most of the action is played out between those two. It’s certainly easy to get into the story. Both have an interesting background story, and initially it’s all about how these two meet and get together. I though: ‘yes, finally!’ when it did happen, yes, I was rooting for them. The story with Tony’s deranged ex-wife and the problems experienced with the ‘Eco Group’ will keep you interested rather than just reading about the budding relationship between ...more
Jennifer Hines
Apr 24, 2014 Jennifer Hines rated it really liked it
*I received this book free from Drue’s Random Chatter in exchange for an honest review*

First of all I have to say that this book had me conflicted. It is so very long and I thought that some of the scenes could have been edited out without loss to the storyline, but at the same time I enjoyed reading every last detail. However, it did start kind of slow for me and with its length it seemed to take FOREVER to get to the really good stuff, but it was well worth the wait.

Tony Walters, Walters Const
Beth Jones
Oct 20, 2014 Beth Jones rated it really liked it
Like many reviews before me....I do have to say I was unsure how I was going to feel about reading about an older couple and their possible detailed sex life. Well I was pleasantly surprised. Nikki lost her family in a horrible way. After 30 years with her husband and her children grown one trip to get ice cream changed her life forever. Five years later after four years of admiring from a far she had a possibility of a second chance at a life, love, & a family.

Tony is a damaged divorcee wh
Hooked On Books
Oct 22, 2014 Hooked On Books rated it really liked it
4 Hooked Stars

Tony is a damag
Heather
Dec 03, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

*Note: I HIGHLY suggest you start with “The Groundbreaking” Prior to reading this book. It is very handy in introducing all the characters for this series and giving their background.

Laying a Foundation is Book 1 of The Love Under Construction Series by Deanndra Hall. It is the story of Tony Walters and Nikki Wilkes. Tony owns a very successful construction company and Nikki works with a florist. Tony has been divorced for more tha
Cindy
Oct 24, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Now that I had read the prequel The Groundbreaking. I thought I was ready for book one Laying A Foundation. WOW!! I read both of these books in about 2 weeks. This is a non stop edge of your seat book.
First we get to know Nikki a sweet lady who has known some major tragedy. She is widow and no family to speak of. She works in the local florist shop. Keeps to herself and just seems to go through life one day at a time with no real purpose.
Then we meet Tony and oh my. He is walking, talking piec
Felicity Nichols
Apr 25, 2014 Felicity Nichols rated it it was amazing
After reading this, I really had to take time to process before I wrote a review. I was immediately drawn in from the first few pages. When you begin Laying a Foundation, you are in Nikki's mind and thoughts. You learn of her heartache, struggle, and her fondness of "The Italian"

This story is about more than sex, I wouldn't even categorize it as erotic. For me, this is a story about two souls who've endured more than their fair share of heartache finding love and happiness. They are older (50's)
Liz Crowe
Feb 06, 2015 Liz Crowe rated it really liked it
"Laying A Foundation" is the first book of a popular series by Deanndra Hall (Love Under Construction) and sets the stage very nicely for a set of books to follow. The introduction to Tony Walters and Nikki Wilkes was my favorite part of the book--I really like a compelling narrative back story and Ms. Hall delivers that in a way that made me care about what happened to them and to the rest of the vast cast of characters she introduces. The book contains a copious amount of very explicit sex ...more
Samaris Creech
Nov 30, 2014 Samaris Creech rated it it was amazing
Tony loves his family more than anything else and will do anything for them yet even surrounded by them he feels all alone. While almost everyone in his family has a significant other, whether it be in the form of a lover, a wife or a partner he is all alone. Love has not been kind to him and after what he went through with his ex it is not something he is willing to try again.
Nikki had it all. A husband, kids and pets that made her life complete and filled her with a love she never got from he
Mary
Apr 02, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Love is just a fairy tale -- there are no happily ever afters. At least that has been the case for Nikki Wilkes and Tony Walters.

Nikki is just going through the motions, life has no meaning to her since the death of her husband and kids.

Tony is immersed in work, it is what keeps him going - that and his kids. Two great kids, awesome daughters-in law, and one bat-sh#t crazy ex-wife.

While Nikki has accepted her lot in life,
Annette
Sep 29, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing
Wow, let me just say if you have not read the prequel do it. It really helps keeping all the players straight. Nikki and Tony are two folks whose lives are nearly unbearable and then fate brings them together. Watching these two fall in love, battle to keep the life they have built and finally triumph over the bad guys was just too much fun. Not to mention all the steamy hot, amazingly written sex these to share. I am pretty sure I melted my reading chair with this one.

One of my favorite scenes
Barb
Aug 01, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! If you love a book with down to earth people who have a past that really can happen in real life and not just something made up to sound good, an older couple who have fears and bad days. This book also has crime, passion, murder and plenty of very HOT SEX! If you love all the above then you will love this book!

Tony has an x-wife who thinks of him still as her husband and won't leave him or his kids alone. Nikki has lost her husband and children in a bad car accident and is a
Christine
Oct 24, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
This was a great book! I loved every word. This is one of the best books I've ever read because it has a little bit of everything, drama, comedy, mystery, romance and all the kinky sex you can think of!

This story is about Nikki who has lost her husband and children during a horrible accident who falls in love with Tony who has lived through a horrible marriage to a crazy women bent on making his life hell.

Tony is the owner of Walters construction and unknown to him, he has enemies. This unknow
Johanna Panko
Apr 21, 2014 Johanna Panko rated it really liked it
I received a free book to read and review for Wicked Reads.
Well written but a really long book. The book has really great characters that are developed really good. The cast of the book though is a really large Italian family with a lot of family drama. I read the prequel before this and I don't think it's really necessary to read it but it made a few things stand out so that was kind of unique. At first I was wondering what kind of genre this was it seemed like a contemporary romance with a sli
Ruthie Taylor
Apr 21, 2014 Ruthie Taylor rated it it was amazing
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

What a fabulous book. I have just ignored my family for a whole Sunday (well I did cook lunch) so that I could keep reading. I have laughed, I have been quite tearful, and felt pretty hot under the collar too. This is a gem of a story, with so much going on, and so many possibilities for future stories - brilliant fun.

It starts off as a lovely romance between two people who have been dealt some hard knocks. It then gets re
Tami czenkus
Oct 29, 2014 Tami czenkus rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with all of the suspense and emotion that this book has. Deanndra takes you on an emotional rollercoaster ride that you will not soon forget!! Tony has has bad luck when it comes to loves as he deals with his ex that is not mentally all there and he is left to raise his children the best that he can with the help of his phenomenal family. Nikki has lost the love of her life and is battling everyday to go on living after losing her entire world.
WOW, the characters of th
Amy
Oct 27, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Nikki has been alone for so long, she forgets what it's like to be loved. Until she meets Tony. The fireworks are immediate and they both share a secret. Nikki lost her family years ago and Tony was never truly loved by his estranged wife, who just won't go away. They have a whirl wind romance, plagued by strange happenings at the construction company that Tony owns. It's only when they put 2 and 2 together do they realize what is going on and act on it.

Good read, lengthy but good. There were so
Ajs  Book Reviews
Apr 16, 2014 Ajs Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
***We received a copy from the author for a honest review***

This is book one of the Love Under Construction Series but I recommend you read The Grooundbreaking before this one, it introduces everyone in this series.

Nikki barely has a life shes dealing with the tragedy of losing her husband and two children in a accident for the past five years. Tony operates a successful construction company, but that’s about it thanks to his bat shit crazy ex-wife. Now the sex between these two is scorching!!!
Terri
Sep 09, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it
I was a little hesitant to read something in the 50+ age range for the characters in a book but I found that I really enjoyed reading about nikki and tony. I loved their story. I didn't really read the prequel at the beginning. you can it'll tell you more about the characters and their stories. I personally prefer to find out about the characters in their stories rather then before I read their story (that's what keeps me interested). I didn't really want to put the book down when I started ...more
Jai Brown
Dec 02, 2014 Jai Brown rated it it was amazing
The chemistry between Tony and Nikki is great, though in the beginning they're both dragging their feet and making me wish I would reach into the book and shake them. This is such an entertaining read.
Tony sending flowers to the flower shop was the sweetest, sexiest thing I've ever read.
They had been eyeing each other at the gym, then Tony's daughter tried to set them up and then a mutual friend tried as well... can we say fate?
I'm impressed with their pre-sex talk, they both expressed their w
Linda Cotter
Jan 04, 2015 Linda Cotter rated it it was amazing
So, I had the prequel of this story for a while, and just couldn't get into it. Maybe because it was written after the others, maybe not. I have to say, I grabbed this, read the prequel (now included in this book) and blew through the whole thing. I absolutely loved this story and am so glad that I gave it a chance. I will be looking for the others once I get a few more books dwindled out of my TBR.
The characters are slightly older, but more my age and some of it felt as though it could be real
Sassy Ray Book Reviews
Apr 24, 2014 Sassy Ray Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is a must read! This is a love story packed with murder, suspense, and family drama. I loved all of the characters and couldn't name just one for a favorite!Deanndra has a passion for bringing characters to life. Laying a Foundation is well written, Deanndra kept the suspense going until the end of the book plus there is a couple that is in there fifties that are still hot and steamy in the bedroom.. ***I will be adding more of Deanndra Hall to my book shelf and recommend you get ...more
Lindsey Armstrong
Apr 27, 2014 Lindsey Armstrong rated it it was amazing
This was a really great story. It might have been about an older couple(50's), but you never really think too much about that at all. I know you are now saying 'yuck I'm not reading about people that age' but you really need to give this book a chance. This was the first book that I read with a over 40 aged couple and I really enjoyed it. There is so much love, suspense and action. My fav quotes: 'I love you and I'll love you forever and a day. Until the last star fades.' 'I'll love you forever, ...more
Danniell
May 02, 2014 Danniell rated it really liked it
A Mad in Wonderland/Danniell Hampton Review

Laying a Foundation was 4 stars for me. This book was pretty good. I don’t normally read romance with older couples, but this was a great book. I loved that fate really wanted Tony and Nikki to get together. I liked that Tony wasn’t a power-hungry man only looking for a quick hook-up. It was a nice change that he was a nice man who believes that relationships are important. I really recommend this book because it is a great read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Unsure (Sure Mastery #1)
  • Paradise (The Masters of the Order, #2)
  • Tastes Like Candy (Lean Dogs Legacy, #2)
  • Brie's Mile High Club (Submissive in Love, #7)
  • Fantasy Forfeit (The Sera Diaries #1)
  • Claiming Catherine (Montana Maiden, #1)
  • Topping the Domme (Crime and Punishment, #1)
  • Royally Trained (Royals of Colania #1)
  • Broken
  • Naughty Bits Part II: The Training Session
  • Apartment 21: Part 1 (Erotic Romance Novella Serial, #1)
  • Touch (Pagano Family, #2)
  • Hot to Trot (Pony Tales, #3)
  • Friday Afternoon
  • Wicked Ways (Dark Hearts, #1)
  • Carmen's New York Escape (Carmen's New York, #2)
Deanndra Hall is a working writer living in far western Kentucky. A free spirit and chronic jokester, she and her partner of over 30 years enjoy visiting their two adult children and their partners and playing with their three crazy little dogs. When she's not writing, Deanndra can be found kayaking, working out at the gym, cooking something healthy, or reading. After writing for business, ...more
More about Deanndra Hall...

Love Under Construction (5 books)
  • The Groundbreaking (Love Under Construction Introductory Volume)
  • Tearing Down Walls (Love Under Construction, Book 2)
  • Renovating a Heart
  • Planning An Addition (Love Under Construction, Book 4)

“It features characters well over 40 having the best sex of their lives, not a bunch of college kids or post-college kids who have no idea what great sex is. They’re honest, raw, sometimes raunchy, and very often funny, not to mention willing to explore and have a little frisky adventure.” 0 likes
“Aw, hell no. My lesbian sister’s wife is having my baby, my new four-year-old son is Black, and my wife is expecting an eight-year-old. Plus I just found out one of my uncles is just my half-uncle, I have a new half-uncle, and I had a cousin who was shot and killed by my mother. Unless some dead relative comes back to life or I’m a zombie and nobody’s told me, those damn soap operas got nothin’ on me. Nope, I think I’m good over here,” he said, looking kind of shell-shocked.” 0 likes