Start by marking “The Culling” as Want to Read:
The Culling

The Culling

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Carl Sims, a young virologist, discovers a plot hatched by a group of international scientists to cull, in a matter of weeks, two-thirds of the world's population - some 4.5 billion people, by releasing a deadly virus that kills two thirds of those it infects. Their goal is to reduce Earth's population from an unsustainable seven billion to two billion. What is he to do? T ...more
Published January 24th 2014 by The Permanent Press

To ask other readers questions about The Culling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Culling

Natylie Baldwin
*Review origianlly published by the New York Journal of Books*

Robert Johnson's first novel tackles an issue that most in the media, the arts, and entertainment industry—even the environmental community—are afraid to discuss directly: overpopulation.

The fear of offending powerful individuals who profit in the short-term either culturally or monetarily from the nonstop propagation of our species is strong.

This thriller explores various angles of the problem, including this reluctance to challeng
Kelly
Sheila
There’s a strong clear message in Robert Johnson’s The Culling, but there’s a strong clear storyline too, and neither overwhelms the other. It’s appealingly different to read about plausible scientists, speaking real science, giving well-reasoned arguments, and backing them up with facts. These scientists have genuine character too—their relationships aren’t glued onto the message to turn it into fiction, and their arguments aren’t imposed on the adventure to give it weight. Instead a thread of ...more
Hilary
Written in the present tense to add a sense of immediacy, and including frightening information about the world's population, climate, resources and the crushing poverty that increases every day, it's also full of philosophical questions.

What if the only way for a population to survive were to cull the herd? We do it already with animals - should we cull the human herd too? Dr. Carl Sims is faced with an impossible choice, where neither option is desirable and both outcomes are terrible. Our wo
Sardonyx
A possible plot to cull the Earth of 2/3s of its human population using a deadly virus? Oh the intrigue!

As I read the first couple of chapters, I felt like I was watching a movie: the way the characters speak to each other, the way their first adventures are set up. A little later, I read the author's biography and lo and behold, the fellow writes screenplays!

This book was a thought provoking read! Lots of food for thought. I actually found myself making notes of things to look up online to see
CJ
"The Culling" by Robert Johnson is a fictional tale told about a very real concern, the overpopulation of our world. The premise is that our world can effectively sustain a population of approximately 2 billion people but we are already hitting the 7 billion mark. Many species of plants and animals are becoming extinct as our population destroys more and more habitats for these species. In effect, man is the main culprit in its own kinds coming extinction. This story portrays the not unimaginabl ...more
Kara
This is, by no means, a feel-good read. It is filled with fascinating (though terrifying) scientific facts and data and opens up a whole new world of the Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization that most of us are never privy to.

The driving storyline revolves around Carl, a virologist with the CDC, who discovers a plot by other scientists to release a virus on the world at large. That alone would make for a fast-paced thriller, but what makes The Culling a unique story is the
Anthony
Thanks to the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program, I was able to get a early preview copy of The Culling by Robert Johnson. Similar to Michael Crichton and James Patterson, Johnson takes a stab at entering the world of technological thrillers, mixing both high tech science and technology with storytelling to create a high-stakes roller coaster through something that doesn't seem too far off from reality. I really enjoyed The Culling and the message of creating a sustainable environment for futu ...more
Kendra
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaway & boy, am I glad to have had a chance to read it! Carl Sims (the protagonist) is virologist with the CDC in Atlanta. He lost his father at a very young age while his father was overseas trying to convince the world that the rate at which the population was growning would result in more poverty, more CO2 production, resulting in the mass extinction of plants and animals, and eventually humans themselves. His message was that people should voluntari ...more
Faith

In this book, a young virologist named Dr. Carl Sims is sent to China by the CDC to obtain samples of a flu virus. He is to assist a famous epidemiologist, Dr. Jenna Williams, and her two interns. Their search leads them to a small village in Laos where they encounter a particularly vicious virus that infects everyone who encounters it and kills two thirds of the afflicted. Carl discovers that the viral outbreak is part of a plan to cull the worldwide population.

Carl is the son of a man whose mi
John Johnstone
The title tells all but what is doesn't say is the magnitude of problem facing the human race. This is expertly described within the storyline by Robert Johnson. With the worldwide population increasing beyond comprehension Dr Carl Sims of the CDC finds himself at the centre of a plot to dramatically reduce the planet's populace, to allow it to recover from the decades of over exploitation and pollution. Carl's father had originally highlighted the problem by establishing population clocks in ma ...more
Kevin
Amazing and thought-provoking. Found myself unsure on how I hoped it would end since I found both sides of the conflict compelling, and I think the author was challenging the reader to not be a bystander to the story and its connection to real world challenges. If you really want to feel inside the story, read this when you have a cold. If you enjoy authors like James Rollins, you will definitely enjoy this author's book.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Mal
compelling, riveting, frightening..could not put it down. hollywood grab it quickly..would make a great movie. overpolulation will be our demise..not an enviromental demise. it is fiction but at the beginning has quotes from ronald reagan,dali lama, jacque cousteau, stephen hawking and others agreeing with that..once you get into it you find it thoroughly absorbing...5 stars +.
Mallory Heart Reviews
Realistic horror in a novel whose potential horrors are factual and scientifically documentable, "The Culling" stands on a scientific foundation which renders its implacability all the more terrifying. Forget zombie apocalypse and nuclear war; it seems now environmental apocalypse lurks at our doorstep.
Clio
Although this book incorporated some interesting ideas, it was not very original, and had a very predictable ending(view spoiler). Some of the events were random and did not add to the ambiance of the book or the main storyline(view spoiler).
This book could have been thought-provoking, but did not leave anything up to the reader's im
R.M.
See the rest of my review here

The title alone drew me in to this little gem of a novel. Yes, some of us are very aware of how overpopulated the planet is, but culling the herd is most def an inhumane way to go about it. This novel takes a look at scientists who are looking at the bigger picture. Save the earth by taking out a good percentage of the reckless population who can't seem to stop breeding.

This actually got me thinking about deer. How every year we have a season where hunters are allow
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Culling by Robert Johnson had all the earmarks of a great novel choice for me.
Deals with a plague/virus/outbreak - check
Main characters work for the CDC - check
Action packed and includes sound scientific facts - check
A team is exhuming the graves of flu victims in Alaska - check
Sadly, despite all it had going for it, The Culling needed culling for me - a so-so novel

In The Culling by Robert Johnson 27 year old Dr. Carl Sims is a buff doctor with the CDC who aspires to work with the lethal Bio
Traci
I recieved this book for free from Goodreads. Scary and fascinating at the same time. Tough decisions that had to be made. Startling and educational information.
David Marshall
A dire book which desperately tries to reinvent the terrorist release of a supervirus trope.

Ken
I do not like getting preached at when I read a novel, even if it is one that contains a lot of good science that I happen to agree with. The basic plot is familiar and the story line developing the plot seems weak. Characters are not really likable or well developed. Again, I have to come back to the preaching tone of the novel. It just does not work for me.
Anji
Nicole
Just could not get into this book.To be fair I was also in the middle of a trilogy I really loved so this book may deserve more credit than my attention was willing to stretch.
Linda Mays
Listened to the audio version of this book during a recent road trip. It was interesting, and I liked it fairly well. Not one I would consider 'great' though.
David
This book is an entry level Michael Crichton story. Very straightforward plot with one-dimensional characters. Could be a screenplay. The story: a group of scientists are convinced that only by significantly reducing the world's population can humans survive. So they set themselves out to infect the world with a potent virus. I like Dan Brown's population explosion solution in The Inferno better - that book is better too.
Debby Dimeglio
this was the first book I've read that i won on goodreads. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed.
It took me a while to get into this book. I thought the characters needed more development and the story was pretty much predictable. About page 200 it did get more interesting and held my interest a little more. It was a book i could put down and not rush to keep reading as I usually do.
John
Jan 04, 2014 John added it
Shelves: need-to-read
Can't wait for this to go to e-book format
Kasey King
Kasey King marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Silviavg
Silviavg marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • The Wood of Suicides
  • Ride Away Home
  • Parker Field
  • The Anarchist
  • Vaccination (Vaccination Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forever Engine
  • The Last Israelis
  • Code Blood
  • A Fairy  Tale
  • The Tenth Witness
The Afghan Way of War: Culture and Pragmatism, a Critical History The Afghan Way of War: How and Why They Fight Robert Johnson for Ukulele Songbook The British Empire: Pomp, Power and Postcolonialism (History Insights) 17 Day Diet: Delicious Cycle 1 Recipes For Fast Weight Loss!