Start by marking “The Witnesses” as Want to Read:
The Witnesses

The Witnesses (The Believer )

Welcome to New America, where patriots are traitors and religion is a crime. After government agent Daniel Lansbury fakes the executions of three believers on national television, he and the fugitives--Alisa Kent, Ian Roshek, and Ian's sister, Jill--face the perilous task of outwitting President Amanda Ryce and her power-hungry Council long enough to escape to freedom. ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Covenant Communications (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Witnesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witnesses

Lucinda
Nov 18, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
When I read The Believer, despite the somewhat open ending, I didn't know Stephanie Black planned to write a sequel. A few months ago, I saw her talking about The Believers on FB, and I got really excited about it. It was totally worth the wait.
In The Witnesses, the story picks up right where The Believer had left off. Ian, Jill and Alisa are in hiding, and everything around them is uncertain. Daniel is helping, but it's hard not to have any doubts. As tensions and problems mount, it was hard to
LAWonder10
Oct 28, 2013 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it
'The Witnesses' is a fast paced, futuristic novel of the New America. Let us hope the New America never comes to fruition! This is a very interesting, yet horrifying account of what could happen if greedy, power-hungry people in government were allowed full reign. It is very unsettling to realize there are actually people in one's own country who are so inhumane that the events leading up to New America could, in reality, transpire.

This book is very well-written. The descriptiveness of individua
Emily
Apr 15, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
While reading The Witnesses, I kept thinking to myself that the story really seemed like more of a sequel than a stand-alone and I wished that Stephanie Black had told the story of Ian Roshek and his sister that led to the events on The Witnesses first. And then after finishing the book I discovered that she did exactly that!

The Witnesses is a sequel to the novel The Believer, though on Black's website, she notes that she wrote it so that you didn't have to read the first book to understand The
Shanda
I’ve been anxious to read The Witnesses, sequel to The Believer, for many years. It did not disappoint. The Believer was Stephanie’s first published novel, and I loved it so much it earned 5 stars and made it onto my taking-with-me-on-a-deserted-island bookshelf. Well, I’ll be adding The Witnesses to that shelf as well.

I was turning page after page, at times wondering how in the world Ian and Jill and Daniel would make it through, who would betray whom, who would live and who would die. I was in
Karlene Browning
Nov 22, 2013 Karlene Browning rated it it was amazing
I was a big fan of The Believer, so I was very excited to see that the sequel was finally available. The Witnesses was a great read. I loved the characterizations in this story. They all rang true for me. I especially liked Alisa Kent, former hard-case enforcer, now shattered by guilt and the mind-bending drugs given to her by the government she helped protect. Her journey to healing was inspiring. I also really liked the character of Amanda Ryce, power-hungry president of New America. I found ...more
Samantha
I wish that somewhere on the cover or in the blurb on the back that it was noted that this book was a sequel to The Believer. I managed to figure things out anyway (I think I read The Believer years ago, because the story was familiar even if the details were fuzzy). I didn't love the story, but it was ok, meaning I didn't hate it but I'll not be telling all my friends to go read it. The characters didn't give me much reason to care about them one way or the other. I probably wouldn't have been ...more
Verona
Dec 23, 2013 Verona rated it liked it
This was one of the most confusing books we have listened to on audio CD. In part, I think it's because it's a sequel, and we didn't read the first book. The description said it wasn't necessary to read the first book, but we were lost from the first CD, and never really felt connected to the story or the characters. It was quite an intriguing story, and one I usually would embrace because it's about America and freedom. But because I could never really tell what the goal was, and who the "bad ...more
Robyn
Apr 30, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it
I never really got into this story, apparently it is the second in a series and it was not a stand alone book. There was too much information, too much going on and was too quickly resolved.

Set in the future, the United States is divided into two countries and one rules with an iron fist. People are not allowed to practice religion of any sort and there are rebels who do.

This book starts with a group of rebels who just escaped some prison and are hiding out and trying to get out of the country
Stacy
Apr 10, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, suspense
It's actually a very exciting book. I did not read the first one and so was confused for quite some time. You have to read 'The Believers' before even considering this one. The premise is excellent, the delivery maybe a little too brief. I think the main character is Daniel, but he almost seems robot-like for most of the book. I get more from Ian but don't like him and he doesn't get as much face time as Daniel. Of the other two refugees, Jill is almost ghostlike and practically useless.

In spit
Renae Mackley
Jun 12, 2014 Renae Mackley rated it it was amazing
I typically enjoy Stephanie Black books. Black's level of complexity in layers that peel off the further I read is the reason for my 5 star rating. A fascinating, dystopian world is the backdrop for conflict where there is much more room for politics than religion. I liked exploring how my own religious beliefs might be challenged and what possible reactions could follow. I did not read the prequel and recommend readers do it on order, but only suffered slightly with understanding and getting ...more
Hollie Robb
Mar 20, 2014 Hollie Robb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, dystopian
This was really good LDS type dystopian.....type book. It was very interesting. The climax of the book almost made me want to throw the book, it was nail biting, something I haven't read for a long time.

I really liked how she did both the Believer and this The Witnesses. Both are intriguing, this one really wraps up the Believer nicely, but if Black wanted to she could do another book. On how the changes to this society would work, and how the oppositions against the changes to the government.

Shauna
Nov 13, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing
RIVETING! THRILLING! AND OH SO GOOD!

This story will capture your attention and you will be totally enthralled until the last page is turned.

A story of patriots, traitors, and convicted escapees.

Alisa, Ian, and Jill are trying to escape to freedom, and Daniel is trying to help them.

But the way is blocked and hideouts keep getting found and time is running out.

Faith will be tested...

Lies will keep you a captive...

And truths will set you free.

Does the Lord really have a plan for them?

THIS. BOOK. IS
Dlora
The next installment in this dystopian SciFi was a nonstop continuation of The Believer, and I actually like it better than the first book. You've got the same bad guys: the police and the anarchists, with lots of power hungry politicians trying to gain power. There was less of the brainwashed populace turning in neighbors who dare to complain about mean-spirited rules and regulations this time. Our good guys are in hiding trying to cross the border to the U.S. and trying to bolster up their ero ...more
Oct 24, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
It has been years since I read the Believer. I picked this one up to see if it had to be read as a sequel. The answer is a resounding yes. NO summary--it picks up almost immediately after the first one finished. I liked the premise of the book, but I felt like it dragged. It was too much wait and see--it made it very easy to put down and not pick up again. It was nice to have all the hanging questions answered, but not one I will be adding to my shelves.
TK
Dec 25, 2013 TK rated it liked it
I've really enjoyed this author's mystery/suspense novels, so I was excited to read her first scifi/dystopian foray. The ending was a terrific nail-biter, but the novel didn't grab me until then. I had trouble connecting to the characters and understanding their post-apocalyptic world. I still do, but I did like reading the last quarter of the book. 2.75 stars
Katelyn
Jan 17, 2015 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
To be honest, I didn't know The Believer had a sequel until I happened to spot this in the library. I thought the story was finished, but this book proved me wrong. We get to see more characters in this book, and explore the protagonists a lot deeper, which I really liked. If you liked The Believer, then you really need to get a hold of this book.
Debbie
Dec 11, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is a great sequel to "The Believer". It is the continuing story of Ian, Jill, Daniel, and Alisa. They are still trying to make their way to The United States, but are having a lot of trouble getting there. Daniel's parents are still alive and on the run. Ian, Daniel, Alisa, and Jill are caught by the police and taken to President Ryce. There are interesting twists and turns in this book.
Heather
Dec 09, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is evidently a sequel. I just saw it at the library, and since I really like Stephanie Black (my favorite is Rearview Mirror), I picked it up. It was different than the other books I've read from her. Suspenseful and intense. Interesting. Not my most favorite, but a thrilling ride.
Mindy
Dec 02, 2013 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Absolute breathtaking sequel to The Believer. The story picks up right where the last one left off. Full of action, suspense and questionable loyalty. I loved it. Full review this week on both blogs.
Elizabeth Reid
Nov 17, 2013 Elizabeth Reid rated it liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
3.5 stars. A great ending to the two-book series. I'll be reading more Stephanie Black.

Deseret News review here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86...
Thebarrys10
Feb 15, 2014 Thebarrys10 rated it really liked it
This is Stephanie' s best one so far in my opinion! As four 'traitors' to the New America hide out in order to stay alive, the gospel of Jesus Christ is their anchor.
Peggy
Apr 09, 2014 Peggy rated it liked it
Good suspense but there was so much going on with so many people I had a hard time keeping track of people. (That may be because I was reading so many other books at the same time.)
Becky
Oct 20, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing
I loved the journey of the characters as they were faced with obstacles. Encouraged me to think about what I would choose if I faced those challenges.
Cindy
Sep 23, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Exciting, quick read. Sequel to The Believer and I'm not sure it would have made much sense if I hadn't read it first.
Alisha
Sep 15, 2015 Alisha rated it it was ok
The concept of the story was good but I had such a hard time getting into it. It had a few good parts but not enough to make it worth recommending. I did like the part about forgiveness.
Chad
Chad rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2014
Cindy Anderson
Cindy Anderson rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Tai
Tai rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Shelah
Shelah rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014