Start by marking “The Vibrant Table: Recipes from My Always Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, and Sometimes Raw Kitchen” as Want to Read:

The Vibrant Table is a feast for the senses. From small sides to savory meals and sweet indulgences, each nourishing recipe tells a story of a balanced and well-fed lifestyle, centered around the family table. Amaranth Pumpkin Porridge, Fingerling Potato Pizza, Squash Blossom Quiche, Roasted Plum Ice Cream, Swirled Acai Cheesecake—you will never run out of inspiration for ...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vibrant Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vibrant Table

Rachel
Oct 09, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because it had a nice cover and it had been recommended to me by one of the food blogs I frequent. The author has a food blog of her own, but I found that I liked the recipes in the cookbook better. The pictures were gorgeous and featured vegan and vegetarian food that was relatively easy to make and looked ridiculously delicious. Things I wanted to try out of here were the Brazil Nut Oat Yogurt, Key Lime Pie Breakfast Parfait, Chestnut and Buckwheat Crepes with Leeks and ...more
Astrid
Aug 06, 2014 Astrid rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
It's beautiful to look at, gorgeous pictures, but, to me at least, not very useful. The recipes sound good, but I think they are too cumbersome and have way too many ingredients, I got discouraged just looking at them. Not a book I will add to my collection.
Dree
Jun 01, 2014 Dree rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads program.

The book is gorgeous, with beautiful pictures. It is also nearly gluten-free (is wheat-free), which is NOT advertised in the title. I have a kid who is allergic to rice (exact status unknown, as processed rice seems to be OK now, and he won't eat actual rice), so this is very frustrating for me.

I don't really understand why carob and chocolate are both used, but whatever, I am a chocolate girl.

On to some recipes!

Cauliflower Pie I am gl
Tina
Mar 01, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, with wonderful photography and delicious recipes.
It has definitely inspired me and given me food for thought, however if I'm honest, I know that I would have difficulties getting to this level of amazing ness in my kitchen.
I am surely capable but feel I wouldn't have time for much else.
I know we all have busy lifestyles and as a casual teacher I may have more time on my hands than some.
Even so, I tend to seek out recipes that have easy to find, simple ingredients, th
Lara
Dec 01, 2015 Lara rated it it was ok
This one really didn't work for me for several reasons. The first thing I noticed was that the print is tiny, and that there is a LOT of it. The author is extremely wordy in the way she describes everything, and I just felt like, "TOO MUCH EXPLANATION!!!" Plus a full third of the book is pretty much dedicated to desserts, which I do not care about one bit. But even in the other sections there wasn't really anything at all that actually made me want to attempt it. Everything just seems...too ...more
Michelle
Nov 17, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: diet-health-food
Pros: Great photography and recipe directions are a little offbeat (still clear to understand, but conversational in a way many cookbooks aren't.)

Cons: These are good recipes, but the're really all over the place and not categorized by specific diet. If you were a vegan, or raw, for example, you wouldn't know if you could eat something unless you read the whole recipe.

Read-Alikes: I don't know how Ms Kassoff gets her child to eat fava-bean patties and some of the other things she claims her ki
Megan
Jan 24, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
I got this cookbook through the First Reads program, and although I really enjoyed reading the author's stories she includes in both the introduction and with each recipe, I don't think I'll be making too many of the recipes myself. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and although I know many of the items called for would be good things to have on hand, I don't right now.

I will definitely pass this book along to someone who will be able to use it. I think if you have the time, money, and patience to s
Niya B
Mar 09, 2015 Niya B rated it it was ok
I rarely associate Russian/Easter European cuisine with vegan & raw cooking. Kassoff's text reminded me that it's a rather close minded stance to take. Her adaptations of traditional foods, including buckwheat, oats, beets and farmers cheese into novel and very fresh looking preparations are a useful cue that even the most ancient of foods can be adapted into new forms, textures and flavours. It's a fun way to explore traditions and modify them to suit your purpose.
Holly
Feb 21, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is the best veg cookbook I have read because the author understands how important it is to explain to the cook why a certain ingredient is important to the whole of he recipe. The recipes are interesting and delicious and combine lots of terrific flavors that are not usually paired together. The photographs are spectacular and add much for the home cook who wants a beautiful As well as delicious dish.
Janet
Feb 07, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Some of these recipes were downright weird and unpalatable to me--like a Chocolate Loaf with 3 entire whole persimmons baked in the middle---or the Zucchini Spaghetti with Nectarines and Pumpkin Seed Pesto. But overall it's a beautiful book with a lot of healthy recipes, a handful of which I will try to recreate in my own kitchen.
Dana
Aug 16, 2015 Dana rated it liked it
I totally love the beautiful photographs in this cookbook! I am going to try a few of the recipes, but for me, most of the recipes had too many exotic and difficult to find ingredients and/or were more labor intensive than I wish to be. I would totally eat all of it if someone would make it for me though! It looks fabulous!
Oct 09, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
The recipes look feasible and that a larger audience may enjoy - though very healthy as well as primarily gluten and refined sugar free. Anya Kassoff's writing style is endearing and fully shares her love of cooking. Definitely a book to add to your shelf!
Hilary
Jan 25, 2015 Hilary rated it really liked it
I am glad I picked this up. There are definitely recipes I want to try, and reading about the author's journey was nice.
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Kerri
Kerri rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Sophie Boven
Sophie Boven rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Harriet Layhe
Harriet Layhe rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Roost Books
Roost Books rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Жанна
Жанна rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Liz Winn
Liz Winn rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Christie
Christie rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Alisa
Alisa rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season
  • Food52 Vegan
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • The Kinfolk Table
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille
  • The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at Night