Start by marking “Bulletproof Vest: The Ballad of an Outlaw and His Daughter” as Want to Read:
Bulletproof Vest: The Ballad of an Outlaw and His Daughter

Bulletproof Vest: The Ballad of an Outlaw and His Daughter

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The haunting story of a daughter’s struggle to confront her father's turbulent—and often violent—legacy

After a fourteen-year estrangement, Maria Venegas returns to Mexico from the United States to visit her father, who is living in the old hacienda where both he and she were born. While spending the following summers and holidays together, herding cattle and fixing barbed-...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Bulletproof Vest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bulletproof Vest

J
Wow! I simply could not put this book down. Amazon gives a good but simple introduction to this book...

"After a fourteen-year estrangement, Maria Venegas returns to Mexico from the United States to visit her father, who is living in the old hacienda where both he and she were born. While spending the following summers and holidays together, herding cattle and fixing barbed-wire fences, he begins sharing stories with her, tales of a dramatic life filled with both intense love and brutal violence—...more
Laurel
Bulletproof Vest: The Ballad of an Outlaw and His Daughter pays homage to a man, a father, and a larger-than-life style made completely believable by Maria Venegas’ excellent writing. Not your typical memoir, almost a novel in its scope, I was captivated by this story from beginning to end. Caught up in the waves of the author’s emotion, I began to feel I personally knew this family, was a part of it. It’s an outlaw’s story, a daughter’s tribute, and a look at Mexico from the inside rather than...more
Don
A remarkable often poetic chronicle of a young woman's reconnection and reconciliation with her absentee, alcoholic, criminal Mexican father. While I sometimes found myself asking why, I had a hard time putting this book down and in the end emerged with profound respect for the author as she tries to explain away her father's many sins. Great read.
Okay, first things first, I received this book for free from the publisher and goodreads (thank you!). The prose is beautiful, the story is compelling, it is all very well written.

And now that those things are out of the way, I want to talk about the portrayal of the father, which was incredible and is haunting me a bit.

Bulletproof Vest is a memoir about a strained, incredibly complex father-daughter relationship. Maria Venegas' father, José, has murdered people. He's pulled a gun on her when sh...more
Raul Ortega
This memoir was exciting and honest. My dad is from the same region in Zacatecas, Mexico. He never talked much about it except to speak of the "bandidos" in the 1920's and how desolate the physical environment was. This book filled in a lot of spaces in his story for me about the people and the country. Even though the setting is more contemporary (1950's to present day). The bandidos are different now and it can still be a scaary place to go. Maia Venegas if you are reading this, thank you!
Cole
Maria Venegas has written the kind of book that is impossible to put down once you've begun. She offers up a story that is both honest and vulnerable about the life of a Mexican American family; painting scenes that are beautiful and heartbreaking all at once. Bulletproof Vest examines the inner conflict experienced when one life is left for another and illustrates the complications and indestructible love that comes from returning to where you've come from and revisiting your roots.
Daniel Levin
2 things are remarkable about this book. First, is how different the daughter (and author) can be from her father and her origins. Second, is how strongly she is emotionally connected to, and influenced by, her father. It's like Monet's 12 Cathedrals; depending on how she is lighting up the scene, she is totally a Mexican outlaw / she is totally a sweet American intellectual college girl.

Stephanie
Loved this beautifully written story of a woman's journey toward understanding her father and their relationship. It was like peeling back the layers of an onion in dealing with a relationship that I believe affects all of us whether or not we acknowledge that fact. Our father is our father, and we all need to figure out what that means in our context.

I also appreciated gaining some cultural insights as I read about her life as a Mexican American.
Leah Sosewitz
Just finished this fantastic memoir which I couldn't put down. Maria Venegas is a real talent! What a roller coaster of a childhood. It really speaks to the inner drive that some people have to get to an unlikely place given their circumstances. The story itself is fascinating but the writing brings it to life.
Bonnie
What a powerful account of life in a Mexican family written from a daughter's point of view. This is our book club selection and I can't wait to discuss it with my GNO. thanks Bonnie

The life of a Mexican family living in both the US and Mexico. there is so much brutality to understand and we see it played out in the father-daughter relationship.

It's a first novel and I can't wait to read more.
My only frustration is in the last section of the book. For me it dragged and soon I was coming in and o...more
Peggy
Takes awhile to get going and a bit too long, but a touching and well written book
Jesamarie Acosido
I thought this book was beautifully written. The author showed us her life and how her father affected her. I thought it was really good and I really got to know the author. I recommend this to everyone.
Jeanne
Fascinating story of a man as told by his daughter. Jose Manuel Venegas was a bandit, murderer, illegal immigrant, a criminal. He was also a father. Maria conveys the stories of his life woven with her own memories and perceptions of Jose. For many years she shut him out of her life. Then, she reconnected with him. At the very least, this is a complicated relationship.
Samantha
I liked this book more than I expected- not great, but very enjoyable.
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Samantha Chapnick
Samantha Chapnick marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Memorie Johnson
Memorie Johnson is currently reading it
Leah James
Leah James marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Diana Sadighi
Diana Sadighi marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Charles Shepherd
Charles Shepherd marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Book Keeping: Bulletproof Vest by Maria Venegas 1 6 Jun 25, 2014 12:29PM
Tales of Two Cities: The Best and Worst of Times In Today's New York Svenska Granta 3: Jakt