Start by marking “The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)

The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie #11)

Riley Brodin is the granddaughter of Walter Muehlenhaus - a man as rich, powerful, and connected as anyone since the days of J. P. Morgan. Despite her family's connections, it's McKenzie she reaches out to when her relatively new boyfriend goes missing. Despite his reservations about getting involved with the Muehlenhaus family - again - McKenzie agrees to look for one Jua ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil May Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil May Care

CarolineFromConcord
Apr 08, 2016 CarolineFromConcord rated it liked it
McKenzie is a former policeman and unlicensed private investigator in the Twin Cities who loves danger. In this mystery, David Housewright has McKenzie hunting for a rich girl's missing boyfriend. I was not crazy about the long lists of possessions that the author employs repeatedly to show that characters are wealthy, and I was not crazy about some overused thriller memes, but I found the plot satisfyingly complicated.

The missing boyfriend may not be who he claims to be, his intentions toward t
Marca
Jul 07, 2014 Marca rated it really liked it
I accidentally picked up this book at the library. Wasn’t wearing my glasses and saw “David” on the cover – thought it was David Baldacci. The cover art kinda looked like a Baldacci book. I decided to read the book anyway since it was a mystery and was glad I did. Rushmore McKenzie, a retired police officer who is now wealthy, is approached by a young woman from the town’s richest family to find her missing boyfriend. Adventure ensues. I liked McKenzie; he was a sensible guy who played well with ...more
Sherri
Aug 15, 2016 Sherri rated it it was amazing
well this is a delightful book for many reasons. Great author with great characters but since it is set around Lake Minnetonka it was just a TRIP to see all the references. Loved it !!!
Karl Jorgenson
Jul 26, 2015 Karl Jorgenson rated it liked it
David Housewright writes like Robert Parker. I told him so at an author chat and he said, 'I've been accused of that.' Their detectives are similar: wise-ass tough guys with a powerful streak of cool sophistication, right down to their weird names: Spenser (Parker) and Rushmore (Housewright).
The problem I see fits the work of both authors: Rushmore is too cool for school. It's hard to credit this sharpie running around loose, poking into stuff, packing a piece and ready to use it. Housewright d
Sharonm
Oct 17, 2015 Sharonm rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, review-copy
In this 11th Mac McKenzie book, "that fucking McKenzie" is prevailed upon by the granddaughter of his rich nemesis, Walter Muehlenhaus, to find her missing Spanish boyfriend. Riley Muehlenhaus, the Muehlenhaus Girl, has been more than dating Juan Carlos Navarre, when he suddenly disappears. As McKenzie begins the search among the über-wealthy Minnesotans whose company Riley and Juan Carlos keep, he runs afoul of the reincarnation of a Hispanic Mafia group that seems just as intent to locate Juan ...more
Joe O'c
Jun 29, 2014 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; a missing person's case turns more mysterious when in becomes apparent other, more nefarious people, are looking for the same person - and are willing to hurt others to find him
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
If you like a well written mystery with good characters and a satisfying conclusion please read David Housewright. I was so surprised when I discovered him that I hadn't heard of him before - he writes good quality mystery fiction.
Su
Aug 18, 2014 Su rated it it was amazing
I will say outright that Housewright's works are equal to John Sandford's writing. Both are Minnesota authors and both have what seems to be an inside workings of the knowledge a Minnesota cop would have. Wonderful!
Elisabeth
Sep 27, 2014 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Introduced to David Housewright last year by a co-worker -- and am caught up in the characters ... terrific read. Enough surprise and suspense to have me looking to the next one ...
Vontel
Sep 10, 2014 Vontel rated it liked it
Would have rated it a 3.5 if possible. A lark, and very enjoyable. I have read at least one previous book in this series. At times, it reminds me of Robert B. Parker mysteries.
Al Stoess
Jun 11, 2014 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. McKenzie fans.
Not his best but it became more interesting as it moved along. I would have liked a better ending.
Lynn
Sep 08, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it
Fast paced murder mystery. Lots of Twin Cities/Minn detail.
Laura Jordan
Jan 10, 2015 Laura Jordan rated it really liked it
Definitely one of his best by far.
Frank Carll
Aug 22, 2014 Frank Carll rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Harvey
Jul 03, 2014 Harvey rated it really liked it
Very solid entry in this consistently well -written and well plotted series.

Rushmore McKenzie is a great character...the now wealthy, retired-young ex-cop with too much time on his hands.

Also enjoy the Twin Cities and Minnesota lake locations.
Joanne
Jul 17, 2014 Joanne rated it liked it
A McKenzie mystery set in Minnesota. Always fun to read
Annie
Oct 03, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh, another satisfied customer!
Cosmos
Cosmos marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Susan Parrish
Susan Parrish marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Karen Bevers
Karen Bevers rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Bec
Bec marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Judith E. Smith
Judith E. Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Shelly
Shelly rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Danthurk
Danthurk marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Kay  Kopp
Kay Kopp rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ride the Lightning: A Crime Novel
  • Skinjob
  • Among Thieves: A Novel
  • City of Rose (Ash McKenna, #2)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • Deadly Ruse (Mac McClellan #2)
  • The Detective & the Pipe Girl
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery #10)
  • The Watcher in the Wall (Stevens & Windermere, #5)
  • Shutter Man
  • The Fraud (Carter Ross, #6)
  • The Ghost Runner (Makana, #3)
  • Summer of the Dead (Bell Elkins, #3)
  • Fifty Mice: A Novel
  • Hollow Man
  • A Little More Free (Eddie Dougherty Mystery #2)
  • The Squandered (Bruno Johnson)