Start by marking “Pray for Us Sinners” as Want to Read:
Pray for Us Sinners

Pray for Us Sinners

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In Pray for Us Sinners, Patrick Taylor's thrilling series set during the Troubles in Northern Ireland, a British Army bomb-disposal expert goes undercover to try to identify the source of the bombs being used by the Provisional IRA

In Belfast in 1973 the Troubles are raging. Two Ulstermen. Two sides. On one, British Army bomb-disposal officer Marcus Richardson; on the other
Published June 3rd 2014 by Forge Books (first published September 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pray for Us Sinners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pray for Us Sinners

Shelley Fearn
Taylor tells the story of Northern Ireland during the violent period of the 1970's. Marcus Richardson, an explosives expert in the British Army, is sent undercover to infiltrate the Provisional IRA when a bomb he is diffusing goes off and the army is able to proclaim him dead. On the other side is Davy MacCutcheon, an IRA bomb expert who has been fighting the British since his teen years. These two men's lives transect and intertwine within the backdrop of the "Irish troubles".

Certainly, anyone
Autumn Blues Reviews
Sep 22, 2013 Autumn Blues Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Thrilling, fascinating fictional portrayal of significant times in Northern Ireland.

My main interest in Patrick Taylor's stories has a lot to do with how fascinating and factual his stories are. For me they are like a history lesson and when it comes to the audiobooks the voice overs of John Keating never let me down. In Pray for Us Sinners I learned about the battle between the British Army and the Provisional Irish Republican Army in the town of Belfast in 1973. Although fiction this audiobook
Cphe
Oct 12, 2013 Cphe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
Set in Ireland in the early 1970's, it's a thought provoking thriller. The story of two men each fighting for Ireland in their own way.

Marcus Richardson is a British bomb disposal expert who is nearly killed when dismantling a car bomb on the streets of Northern Ireland (shades of The Hurt Locker) When he recovers he is recruited, to infiltrate the Provisional IRA and find a mole who is in the high echelons of the Provos. He resurfaces as Mike Roberts an ex pat Irishman returned from Canada, his
Dan Smith
Sep 09, 2014 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding tale of two men during the troubles that hit Northern Ireland in about 1974. One man working to infiltrate the IRA to find out who is building the bombs and who is ordering the bombs.. another man, a bomb builder who struggles with the reality of killing innocents..

Patrick Taylor has done an excellent job of telling the stories of two men from different sides and their struggles.. even as they come together for a time.

A must read by all.
Marcus Richardson is from Ulster, but in the British Army. He's trained as a bomb disposal expert and is sent home to work undercover in the PIRA in 1973. Going undercover is hard, but he begins to understand a bit about why the working class Catholics hate the British. There is a lot of unexpected sympathy on both sides of the religion coin in Ulster, and a feeling that the fight is almost over. Even the die-hard PIRAs aren't sure why they are bombing innocent people when it hasn't brought abou ...more
Carmen
A story about two men against the background of the Irish Troubles in Ulster in the 1970's. Each man feels driven to do what they do, sacrificing love and family for honor. It doesn't end well for both of them. It does help put a face on the political situation that used to exist in Northern Ireland.
Lynn Corrigan
May 23, 2014 Lynn Corrigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We honeymooned in Ireland in 1973 and visited my husband's family farm in Co. Roscommon. I never fully realized that all this was going on. Although there were whispered conversations, no one would discuss "the troubles" in public. Life in the Republic went on as usual. This book is a page-turner!
Debbie Sencenbaugh
Historical fiction revolves around the lives of rebels against British occupation during Ireland's "Troubles. Heartwrenching story filled with the hopelessness and tragedy of the situation, reasons for the conflict seen through both the eyes of the British and the Irish. Would read again
Judy
love Patrick Taylor--& his usual remarkable character development, along with the grand narration by Keaton. Maybe it's the bad patch I'm in & feeling overly sensitive to issues back on the streets here, but it was too much for me. I was a blow-by-blow follower of Belfast events during the time of this story--but it doesn't make it any easier to 'relive' it all over again; maybe worse.
Tom Wascoe
Nov 25, 2015 Tom Wascoe rated it really liked it
Taylor is a wonderful story teller. His characterization is excellent. This is a well-researched snapshot of the Protestant/Catholic fighting in Northern Ireland. A gripping tale, full of suspense but without the humor, due to the seriousness of the subject matter, of Taylor's "Irish Country Doctor" series.
Cindy
Apr 09, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad and very long mystery, with a sadder and unsatisfying end involving "Irish troubles" circa 1970's. Well-written so 3 stars. Narrated extremely well by John Keaton. Some language. 2000 text/2013 ...more
Dáithí Ó
Feb 08, 2015 Dáithí Ó rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale of fictatious events, based on real times in the North of Ireland.

On a personal note, growing up in the North of Ireland, this book is dead on.
John
Oct 07, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not often I give five stars to a book, but Pray for Us Sinners deserves it. The characters were a step above who you usually meet in spy novels, there were a lot of unexpected twists and turns, and Taylor cuts to the chase. A British spy heads into Belfast to infiltrate the Provisional Irish Republican Army and ends up tangled up in a plot to assassinate the prime minister.

Kudos to Taylor for an engaging, original thriller, especially the series of twists at the end that take the book in an
Susan
Jul 14, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has had me on edge and agitated from its first words, but that Is what terrorism is about. Written in Taylor's usual captivating style, I can only take it in small doses. I know I will want to revisit Ballybucklebo after it. I have to say I could hardly wait to finish this, which I did mostly because I had bought it. I really hated this. It was well written, but spies, wholesale dishonesty, violence, frustrations, terrorism, all are part of a formula that is not entertainment to me.
Brenda
Wasn't easy to read. Always hard to understand this kind of hatred.
Sandra
Jan 08, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
Stephen Boiko
unexpected ending.
Janelle
Great book, I highly recommend it if you want to learn more about the Irish troubles of the 1960s and 1970s. I was a US high school and college student at the time and hardly remember it all except for the Lord Mountbatten assassination. It is a departure for Patrick Taylor, but I sincerely liked this book as I have loved all of his Irish Doctor novels.
John Monaghan
Jun 06, 2016 John Monaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taylor's writing style in this book was similar but the subject was a dark and disturbing look at the Troubles in the mid-70s. Unlike the Irish Doctor series, this book ended with a stark and even upsetting climax. I had expected a tough ending but Patrick nailed it.
Iris
Aug 30, 2013 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite a good thriller, which takes place in N. Ireland in the 70's during the times of the troubles. It is perhaps a little onesided .
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Laura Prokosch
Laura Prokosch is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Josh
Josh added it
Aug 08, 2016
John Phillips
John Phillips rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Cathy Monteiro
Cathy Monteiro rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
  • War at the Edge of the World (Twilight of Empire, #1)
  • Middle Man: A Lieutenant Rollie Waters Novel (Rollie Waters, #2)
  • The Death of an Ardent Bibliophile (Peter McGarr, #11)
  • Red Winter
  • The Emperor's Knives (Empire, #7)
  • Harry's Game
  • In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four
  • Rapscallion (Matthew Hawkood, #3)
  • Wrack
  • One Man's Flag (Jack McColl, #2)
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State
  • Before the Dawn: An Autobiography
  • Blue Nude
  • Stolen Souls (Jack Lennon Investigations #3)
  • Lucky
  • Live Life Aggressively!: What Self Help Gurus Should Be Telling You
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one
More about Patrick Taylor...