Start by marking “Pray for Us Sinners” as Want to Read:
Pray for Us Sinners

Pray for Us Sinners

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In Pray for Us Sinners,Patrick Taylor’s thrilling series set during the Troubles in Northern Ireland, a British Army bomb-disposal expert goes undercover to try to identify the source of the bombs being used by the Provisional IRA

In Belfast in 1973 the Troubles are raging. Two Ulstermen. Two sides. On one, British Army bomb-disposal officer Marcus Richardson; on the other
Published June 3rd 2014 by Forge Books (first published September 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pray for Us Sinners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pray for Us Sinners

Shelley Fearn
Taylor tells the story of Northern Ireland during the violent period of the 1970's. Marcus Richardson, an explosives expert in the British Army, is sent undercover to infiltrate the Provisional IRA when a bomb he is diffusing goes off and the army is able to proclaim him dead. On the other side is Davy MacCutcheon, an IRA bomb expert who has been fighting the British since his teen years. These two men's lives transect and intertwine within the backdrop of the "Irish troubles".

Certainly, anyone
Autumn Blues Reviews
Thrilling, fascinating fictional portrayal of significant times in Northern Ireland.

My main interest in Patrick Taylor's stories has a lot to do with how fascinating and factual his stories are. For me they are like a history lesson and when it comes to the audiobooks the voice overs of John Keating never let me down. In Pray for Us Sinners I learned about the battle between the British Army and the Provisional Irish Republican Army in the town of Belfast in 1973. Although fiction this audiobook
Cphe
Set in Ireland in the early 1970's, it's a thought provoking thriller. The story of two men each fighting for Ireland in their own way.

Marcus Richardson is a British bomb disposal expert who is nearly killed when dismantling a car bomb on the streets of Northern Ireland (shades of The Hurt Locker) When he recovers he is recruited, to infiltrate the Provisional IRA and find a mole who is in the high echelons of the Provos. He resurfaces as Mike Roberts an ex pat Irishman returned from Canada, his
Dan Smith
An outstanding tale of two men during the troubles that hit Northern Ireland in about 1974. One man working to infiltrate the IRA to find out who is building the bombs and who is ordering the bombs.. another man, a bomb builder who struggles with the reality of killing innocents..

Patrick Taylor has done an excellent job of telling the stories of two men from different sides and their struggles.. even as they come together for a time.

A must read by all.
Carmen
A story about two men against the background of the Irish Troubles in Ulster in the 1970's. Each man feels driven to do what they do, sacrificing love and family for honor. It doesn't end well for both of them. It does help put a face on the political situation that used to exist in Northern Ireland.
Lynn Corrigan
We honeymooned in Ireland in 1973 and visited my husband's family farm in Co. Roscommon. I never fully realized that all this was going on. Although there were whispered conversations, no one would discuss "the troubles" in public. Life in the Republic went on as usual. This book is a page-turner!
Dáithí Ó
A gripping tale of fictatious events, based on real times in the North of Ireland.

On a personal note, growing up in the North of Ireland, this book is dead on.
John
It's not often I give five stars to a book, but Pray for Us Sinners deserves it. The characters were a step above who you usually meet in spy novels, there were a lot of unexpected twists and turns, and Taylor cuts to the chase. A British spy heads into Belfast to infiltrate the Provisional Irish Republican Army and ends up tangled up in a plot to assassinate the prime minister.

Kudos to Taylor for an engaging, original thriller, especially the series of twists at the end that take the book in an
Susan
This book has had me on edge and agitated from its first words, but that Is what terrorism is about. Written in Taylor's usual captivating style, I can only take it in small doses. I know I will want to revisit Ballybucklebo after it. I have to say I could hardly wait to finish this, which I did mostly because I had bought it. I really hated this. It was well written, but spies, wholesale dishonesty, violence, frustrations, terrorism, all are part of a formula that is not entertainment to me.
Brenda
Wasn't easy to read. Always hard to understand this kind of hatred.
Janelle
Great book, I highly recommend it if you want to learn more about the Irish troubles of the 1960s and 1970s. I was a US high school and college student at the time and hardly remember it all except for the Lord Mountbatten assassination. It is a departure for Patrick Taylor, but I sincerely liked this book as I have loved all of his Irish Doctor novels.
Iris
This is quite a good thriller, which takes place in N. Ireland in the 70's during the times of the troubles. It is perhaps a little onesided .
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Kari Gammell
Kari Gammell marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Mary Jane Smijan
Mary Jane Smijan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Shael
Shael marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Allissa
Allissa marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Michelle Becker
Michelle Becker marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Caravan of Thieves (Rollie Waters, #1)
  • The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr, #13)
  • Red Winter
  • The Emperor's Knives (Empire, #7)
  • Harry's Game
  • Rapscallion (Matthew Hawkood, #3)
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State
  • In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four
  • Stolen Souls (Jack Lennon Investigations #3)
  • Wrack
  • The Haunted Ebook
  • New Self, New World: Recovering Our Senses in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Land of Darkness (The Gates of Heaven, #3)
  • Freedom's Stand
  • Lucky
  • Treasury of American Poetry
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one
More about Patrick Taylor...
An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1) An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3) An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4) An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)