Start by marking “Flight of the Golden Harpy” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Golden Harpy

Flight of the Golden Harpy

Kari, a young woman, returns to her jungle planet of Dora after ten years in Earth’s schools and is determined to unravel the mysteries surrounding the harpies, a feral species half-bird, half-mortal. The residences of Dora believe the harpies are dangerous game animals and hunt them for their trophy wings, but Kari thinks they are intelligent and not just wild animals. A ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Golden Harpy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Golden Harpy

Jana Hoefling
Mar 06, 2014 Jana Hoefling rated it it was amazing
Great book! You will love Shail! Very unique story that pulls you in and makes you love the harpies!
Maryann Burchell
Mar 17, 2014 Maryann Burchell rated it it was amazing
This has become my new favorite sci-fi book! The characters are interesting and well developed. The lore of the Harpies is well identified and played out to perfection. I think the ending was fantastic!
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Someone said there isnt too many books about harpies
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jun 19, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it did not like it

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog

I put this book down at around 24% and could not pick it back up again. Typically, when a book doesn't connect with me I'll skim a lot to get through it so I can at least put up a review that represents the whole book (some books really do get better later). But the problems I had with this book were from the writing rather than just the plot (such as it was) and therefore not something that was going to change.

First and
Ash Wednesday
Apr 04, 2014 Ash Wednesday marked it as to-read
The book is dedicated to Brad Pitt who apparently inspired the character, Shail.

Curiosity is piqued.
Had an old fantasy feel. Dialog was stilted at times and romance a bit clinical but I loved the idea and the descriptions of nature. World building was also very good.
Be warned: deals with abuse and rape.
Heather McCorkle
While the world building is intriguing and the characters are interesting, there were several issues that kept me from enjoying this book. While it is subtle and not overly done, there are several point of view changes within chapters that bothered me. There is also a hint at bestiality and when I came to not one, but two violent and very detailed rapes over two-thirds of the way through the book, I could not go on. That said, I believe some may truly enjoy this story for its world-building and ...more
Jan 07, 2015 Diamond rated it it was amazing
Honestly I tried not to use a lot names and major scenes; just in case those of you who still wish to read it wont be totally ruined for reading this reveiw, as possible. So I call them by their role instead of their name. SO please do read this and tell me what you think I would enjoy the feedback. Oh and if you catch an error please tell me. :') Enjoy

Okay this book is certainly not for the light hearted or people that have an unrealistic veiw of human nature. First off it is true that Klaus hi
Apr 24, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Lina (From the Verge)
Will post review 2 weeks prior to release date.
KeriLynn Engel
May 01, 2014 KeriLynn Engel rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned

The cover is awesome, and the worldbuilding is very interesting. I love the idea of harpies, so I was excited to read this book. But I just couldn't enjoy it at all for a few reasons:

The dialogue was incredibly stilted and unbelievable. "I don't deal well with people, and become overly offensive when it comes to harpy hunting." Who talks like that?? The main character Kari sounds like she's reading from a text
May 18, 2014 Linguana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy, dnf
Don Burchell
May 12, 2014 Don Burchell rated it it was amazing
What a great read! I'm always looking for authors who come up with original ideas. I love the concept. Many of the science fiction books I've read over these many past years are all action, or all talk. This book has just the right combination. This book would make a great CG movie!
Lisa Turnage
May 24, 2014 Lisa Turnage rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and rate it with 5 stars! This book had me filled with so many emotions. I felt like this book was a suspense, romance, science fiction, drama and horror all rolled up in one book. I would love to see a sequel to this book. Big kudos to the author. The book was well written. I received this book for free through Goodreads contest.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jul 25, 2014 Mogsy (MMOGC) rated it did not like it
1 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum

It always pains me to write a negative review, especially for a book I had high hopes for and had looked forward to so immensely. As mythical or legendary creatures go, harpies don’t get near enough attention in fantasy, and I was very excited to see a novel feature them with such prominence and with a background that sounded so incredibly fascinating and unique. Unfortunately, I couldn’t enjoy this book. I try to look at
I would like to thank NetGalley & Tor Books for granting me a copy of this e-ARC to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Chris Klaus
Jun 03, 2014 Chris Klaus rated it it was amazing
My mother did a great job on this book! Worth checking out.
Bradenton Bill
Jun 06, 2014 Bradenton Bill rated it it was amazing
The story was very entertaining and uplifting. It was a very enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the next book. My mom, Lois, also read it and she stayed up all night until it was finished. She couldn't put it down.
I couldn't finish this book. I got about halfway through and then skipped around to the end. The world was well crafted and very creative, but the dialogue was very clunky and the characters were boring.
The book just took itself too seriously.

--The book was provided by Netgalley in exchange of a fair review.--
This book is not for me.

The first things I noticed were some racial stereotypes, such as the Hispanic housekeeper named Maria and the old Indian mentor named Charlie. On a new planet, I would expect a different, unique societal organization - not a repeat of these stereotypes that come from 19th and 20th century America.

Secondly, the harpies seem over-simplified - as gentle creatures misunderstood and persecuted by humans because they have pretty feathers and cannot speak human languages. Yes,
Ray Ryder
Jun 17, 2014 Ray Ryder rated it it was amazing
I found this an extremely interesting and unique story. The author uses a vivid blend of fantasy, romance and suspense to convey a much deeper message that we share this planet we call Mother Earth, and we must be vigilant not to take its wonderful beauty and nature for granted. Definitely worthwhile reading.
Jun 24, 2014 Yvette rated it liked it
I have mixed feeling about this book. I liked it a lot but think some incidents that happened in the book were totally unnecessary like abuse and raping, it could've been mention in passing but it shouldn't have been so descriptive. Hated that part. The rest I enjoyed it.
Christine Spry
Jul 01, 2014 Christine Spry rated it it was amazing
I usually don't review books, but fell in love with this one. It starts as a mystery. What are these winged creatures. Are they good or bad? Moves to forbidden love with the same passion as the Thorn Birds. And the second half of the book is on the edge-of-your-seat action, the realistic horrors capable of mankind, and a race of survive. It had a great underlining environmental message, but most of all, this book has Shail, the golden harpy. A true fantasy male that's to die for.
Jun 09, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. So much so that I don't believe I can put a star rating on it because my emotions while reading would often completely change from one chapter to the next. I will say that upon finishing it I was happy with the book, and I felt compelled to keep reading pretty much the entire time (except for the very beginning.)

I think the biggest issue for me with Flight of the Golden Harpy is the author's writing itself. I've general found that if the reader is aware the
Jul 14, 2014 Johanna rated it liked it
*I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Initially, I was drawn in by this stunning cover and now I also know that it fits the novel so perfectly well. Flight of the Golden Harpy was a very interesting book. I thought the concept was convincing yet the book itself a little bit too long.

Kari has always been a child of the Dorian jungle. After her ten years of exile on Earth, she finally returns to Dora and the golden harpy boy that has once saved h
Jul 13, 2014 Maggie rated it it was ok
So think of the planet as Jurassic Era Earth with angels flying around. The angels are called harpies, and they are considered to be extremely dangerous. They kidnap and rape women regularly, at least according to rumors. Flight of the Golden Harpy has an interesting world, and it was definitely my favorite part of the book. I could read descriptions about it for days.

Enter Kari, our main character. She is saved by a golden harpy when she is a child, the most reclusive of the harpies. Her father
Jul 13, 2014 Deforce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Starts a little bit slow, but once you start reading, you just can't stop.The ecological message is obvious.Just wondering if people would have learned their lesson if they really got a second chance from Mother Nature and if Mother Nature would be so clement as Shail? I strongly doubt it.
2.0 out of 5 stars A Political Statement, July 18, 2014

This review is from: Flight of the Golden Harpy (Kindle Edition)
This book was just one big statement on animal cruelty/anti-hunting using the guise that animals have emotional feelings like humans do. At least this was my impression on this book. I couldn't see any other point to it. Many other authors try to get away with this type of orating and it doesn't usually work out too well for them...I hope it works better for Ms. Klaus.

This may
Feb 06, 2015 Claire rated it did not like it
Review published at Bitches With Books. To read, click the link!

Nope. I know I received this an ARC and I would normally try to find 1 good thing but I can't. The writing is stilted, the dialogue is so very painful to listen to and the drama unnecessary. The idea of the world building is nice but executed in a way that I, personally, could not connect with. I'm not saying this book is bad, but I didn't like it. If you check out its GR page, some people gave it glowing reviews.

« previous 1 3 next »
Brad Pitt's Connection to Flight of the Golden Harpy 1 12 Mar 08, 2014 06:04AM
Do you know what a harpy is? 1 4 Jan 25, 2014 10:16AM
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
  • Archon's Queen (The Awakened, #2)
  • Assassin Queen (Majat Code, #3)
  • The Very Best of Tad Williams
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Fragile Destiny (The Aether Chronicles, #3)
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • The Elementalists
  • Nightmares of the Queen (The Brajj, #2)
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • Sword of Deaths (The Scythe Wielder's Secret, #2)
  • In Real Life
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Darkness Fair (The Dark Cycle, #2)
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • Sacrifice (Daughters of Lilith, #3)
  • Out of the Pit (Five, #2)
  • The Empress Chronicles (The Empress Chronicles, #1)