Start by marking “Little Dump Truck, The” as Want to Read:
Little Dump Truck, The

Little Dump Truck, The

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Meet Hard Hat Pete and his little dump truck as they haul stones and rocks, carry debris, and unload at the landfill. It’s hard work, but the Little Dump Truck is always ready for action!

Preschool children will revel in the day-to-day activities of this happy dump truck. The lyrical text and bright pictures are just right for budding truck enthusiasts.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Little Dump Truck, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Dump Truck, The

Heidi
Cute pictures and fun text. I actually read this whole book (each page) to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot." While that could get old after a few pages, the kids might really like it. Of course, reading it will allow me to go a little slower for all the actions listed. A few pages that I think unnecessary, so I'm going to paper-clip them out when I read. Perfect addition for my Trucks theme. We'll see how it goes.

1/23/13 Sang each page to the "Teapot" tune in my Truck theme. The kids enjoyed th
Mike
Jun 04, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does your little one obsess over trucks and construction equipment? Have I got a book for you!

Margery Cuyler's The Little Dump Truck recounts a day in the life of a dump truck and her driver, Hard Hat Pete. They drive through the city, visit a construction site (visiting bulldozers, excavators, forklifts, and lots of other trucks) and then dump their load, all with a good pace and a nice rhyming scheme. Bob Kolar's vibrant illustrations blend nicely with the text. From the sullen garbage truck t
Rosa Cline
Jul 28, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: special needs older children that need easy reading books
Shelves: kids
I read this to my grown special needs son and we both loved it. It was a board book so when I picked it up I figured it would be a 'baby' book with only one or two words per page and very simple illustrations. Was I pleasantly surprised! It was like any other regular children's book. A story inside about the little dump truck and his driver. It talked about 'little dump trucks' friends at the construction site and named them excavator, forklift etc. introducing children to construction vehicles, ...more
Jessi
Mar 28, 2014 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aleksandr
My two year old lives this book! It took me a bit to piggy back it onto the tune of I'm a little teapot. But once I got it down he wouldn't let me not sing it. The copy from my library had nice thick sturdy pages, which made it easy for him to turn the pages.
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can't go wrong with a dump truck book, and this one is nicely done, with rhyming text, simple, blocky illustrations, and the excellent inclusion of women as truckers and construction workers.
Roben
Little Dump Truck loves his job! And this colorful and fun rhyming book will tell the reader all about a Little Dump Truck's day. Good for PreK - some rhymes a bit awkward.
Dolores Colarosa
I loved this little gem that we read in baby storytime this morning! We actually sang the words to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot!" The moms and babies LOVED IT!
Deidrah Reeves
Apr 11, 2016 Deidrah Reeves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit long for wiggles if the whole thing is read.
Rhyming text is good and cute simple illustrations.
A little abstract for the youngest story time kiddos
The Book Box
Mama read this to me this morning. I really liked the rhyme and pictures!
Susan
Fun; can be sung to "I'm a Little Teapot"
Peacegal
Jul 15, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
Cute!
Nancy Jo Lambert
This little book is great for young children. Is it new and different? No. Is the rhyme and topic something exciting? No. Is there anything about the illustrations that grab you? No.

Is it a good little book? Yes! Young children will love the rhyming text, the little truck as it moves through the pages doing its job, and the end papers of different types of trucks. This a perfectly appropriate and fun book for little kids.
Viv
Jan 23, 2014 Viv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhyming text with fun/color illustrations.
Emerson and Theodore
A little too simply for Emerson now in terms of story but he picked it out and loves it due to the nice truck drawings.
Beth
Blocky and colorful illustrations. Rhyming text is lively and descriptive. Dump truck does a lot in a day, and other vehicles are featured as well.

All this, plus sturdy, quasi-board-book pages and the popular theme make this a great recommendation for toddler and preschool truck fans.
The Library Lady
Dec 18, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice rhythmic couplets with plenty of action and attractive art will make this a truck loving kid favorite. This book will get a lot of handling and I like the sturdy, thicker than usual paper and the rounded corners--well thought out design!
Kim
Mar 01, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the repetition and rhyming couplets on these books (though rhyming "today" with "hooray" at the end is a stinker of an ending). I think this would be good for a really young storytime.
Asho
We read this book about a month ago and, to be honest, I don't really recall much about it. So, I suppose that's my review: basic, and not particularly memorable in either a good or bad way!
Danie P.
Feb 28, 2011 Danie P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome for a toddler storytime about trucks. Each page starts off with "I'm a little dumptruck" which you could get the kids to say along with you. Nice for audience participation.
Jodie
A story about a little dump truck and the jobs it does. Preschoolers will enjoy this story and kids who like stories about trucks. Illustrations connect well with the text.
Robin
Apr 24, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dig-into-reading
Hard Hat Pete drives his dump truck all around town. He even stops for a coffee break at one point. This is a picture book but with heavier pages so great for toddlers.
Kim
Dec 11, 2009 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, nothing too educational, marginal kids book, no storyline.My son liked the inside front and back covers best with pictures of the trucks.
Paula
Little dump truck is going through a days worth of hard work. Bright illustrations accompany this cute rhyming picture book.
Leahjoypro
Mar 19, 2011 Leahjoypro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is one of the best, cutest, most sturdy books we've come across for little boys. They never tire of it.
Jennifer Heise
A cute little truck book with rhyme. Good, I think, for the 3-4 age group of truck enthusiasts.
Baranie
Oct 19, 2010 Baranie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot" I don't mind reading it over and over to Adam.
Miss Pippi the Librarian

Theme: Diggers 'n' Dents
Additional themes: travel, dump trucks

Reviewed from a library copy.
Christopher
Aug 15, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun illustrations and a rhyming story make this book lots of fun for little ones!
Denise
Nov 07, 2009 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This would work well for toddlers in storytime, especially with a transportation theme.
Melissa
Solid rhyme, bright illustrations, sturdy pages.
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Roadwork
  • Train Man
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • If You're Hoppy
  • The Biggest Kiss
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more
More about Margery Cuyler...