Start by marking “Little Dump Truck, The” as Want to Read:
Little Dump Truck, The

Little Dump Truck, The

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Meet Hard Hat Pete and his little dump truck as they haul stones and rocks, carry debris, and unload at the landfill. It’s hard work, but the Little Dump Truck is always ready for action!

Preschool children will revel in the day-to-day activities of this happy dump truck. The lyrical text and bright pictures are just right for budding truck enthusiasts.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Little Dump Truck, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Dump Truck, The

Heidi
Cute pictures and fun text. I actually read this whole book (each page) to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot." While that could get old after a few pages, the kids might really like it. Of course, reading it will allow me to go a little slower for all the actions listed. A few pages that I think unnecessary, so I'm going to paper-clip them out when I read. Perfect addition for my Trucks theme. We'll see how it goes.

1/23/13 Sang each page to the "Teapot" tune in my Truck theme. The kids enjoyed th
Mike
Does your little one obsess over trucks and construction equipment? Have I got a book for you!

Margery Cuyler's The Little Dump Truck recounts a day in the life of a dump truck and her driver, Hard Hat Pete. They drive through the city, visit a construction site (visiting bulldozers, excavators, forklifts, and lots of other trucks) and then dump their load, all with a good pace and a nice rhyming scheme. Bob Kolar's vibrant illustrations blend nicely with the text. From the sullen garbage truck t
Jessi
My two year old lives this book! It took me a bit to piggy back it onto the tune of I'm a little teapot. But once I got it down he wouldn't let me not sing it. The copy from my library had nice thick sturdy pages, which made it easy for him to turn the pages.
Dolores Colarosa
I loved this little gem that we read in baby storytime this morning! We actually sang the words to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot!" The moms and babies LOVED IT!
The Book Box
Mama read this to me this morning. I really liked the rhyme and pictures!
Susan
Fun; can be sung to "I'm a Little Teapot"
Nancy Jo Lambert
This little book is great for young children. Is it new and different? No. Is the rhyme and topic something exciting? No. Is there anything about the illustrations that grab you? No.

Is it a good little book? Yes! Young children will love the rhyming text, the little truck as it moves through the pages doing its job, and the end papers of different types of trucks. This a perfectly appropriate and fun book for little kids.
Viv
Rhyming text with fun/color illustrations.
Emerson
A little too simply for Emerson now in terms of story but he picked it out and loves it due to the nice truck drawings.
Beth
Blocky and colorful illustrations. Rhyming text is lively and descriptive. Dump truck does a lot in a day, and other vehicles are featured as well.

All this, plus sturdy, quasi-board-book pages and the popular theme make this a great recommendation for toddler and preschool truck fans.
The Library Lady
Nice rhythmic couplets with plenty of action and attractive art will make this a truck loving kid favorite. This book will get a lot of handling and I like the sturdy, thicker than usual paper and the rounded corners--well thought out design!
Kim
I like the repetition and rhyming couplets on these books (though rhyming "today" with "hooray" at the end is a stinker of an ending). I think this would be good for a really young storytime.
Asho
We read this book about a month ago and, to be honest, I don't really recall much about it. So, I suppose that's my review: basic, and not particularly memorable in either a good or bad way!
Danie P.
Awesome for a toddler storytime about trucks. Each page starts off with "I'm a little dumptruck" which you could get the kids to say along with you. Nice for audience participation.
Jodie
A story about a little dump truck and the jobs it does. Preschoolers will enjoy this story and kids who like stories about trucks. Illustrations connect well with the text.
Robin
Hard Hat Pete drives his dump truck all around town. He even stops for a coffee break at one point. This is a picture book but with heavier pages so great for toddlers.
Kim
Ok, nothing too educational, marginal kids book, no storyline.My son liked the inside front and back covers best with pictures of the trucks.
Paula
Little dump truck is going through a days worth of hard work. Bright illustrations accompany this cute rhyming picture book.
Leahjoypro
This is one of the best, cutest, most sturdy books we've come across for little boys. They never tire of it.
Jennifer Heise
A cute little truck book with rhyme. Good, I think, for the 3-4 age group of truck enthusiasts.
Baranie
Almost to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot" I don't mind reading it over and over to Adam.
Miss Pippi the Librarian

Theme: Diggers 'n' Dents
Additional themes: travel, dump trucks

Reviewed from a library copy.
Christopher
Fun illustrations and a rhyming story make this book lots of fun for little ones!
Denise
This would work well for toddlers in storytime, especially with a transportation theme.
Melissa
Solid rhyme, bright illustrations, sturdy pages.
Tina
"construction site, dump truck, good review"
Kim
Nice easy picture book for all things boy.
Don Gubler
Great for kids who like machines.
PWRL
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Red Truck
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • We Planted a Tree
  • Dinotrux
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more
More about Margery Cuyler...
Skeleton Hiccups That's Good! That's Bad! The Biggest, Best Snowman 100th Day Worries Hooray for Reading Day!