The Baklava Club

The Baklava Club (Yashim the Eunuch #5)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Join Investigator Yashim for a final exotic escapade in this rich Edgar Award–winning series

In four previous novels, Jason Goodwin’s Inspector Yashim, the eunuch detective, has led us through stylish, suspenseful, and colorful mysteries in the Istanbul of the Ottoman Empire. Now, in The Baklava Club, Yashim returns for his final adventure—and his most thrilling yet.

Three n...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Sarah Crichton Books (first published June 3rd 2014)

Denise
This is the last book in the Yashim the Eunuch series, which are set in 19th century Istanbul and are a really fun little jaunt through that period in the history of the Ottoman empire, and this 5th book came out in mid June. And I was sooo excited to get my hands on it when it came out and then I was soooo sad when I finished it, because man, this book is just really grim.

Those who are fans of The Hitchhiker’s Guide series probably know its last book (Mostly Harmless) is also really grim, and D...more
cathy

" I am delighted to be back in Istanbul - a city I have never seen and know only through books, particularly the Yashim novels by Jason Goodwin,whose introduction to the most exotic place on earth is an assault on the senses and a joy to read. The 5th book in the series is a well paced thriller and our favourite characters encounter danger and deception love, sex and betrayal and very uncertain future. Splendid stuff. Love, it
LJ
First Sentence: The man lives, or the man dies.

A group of young Italians, spending much of their time with Yashim’s friend Ambassador Palewski, are part of the revolutionaries striving for the reform and unification of Italy. At the moment, they are exiled in Istanbul with instructions to kill a Polish Prince. The assignation becomes kidnapping and the wounding of Palweski, causing him to become involved.

The book has an excellent opening with wonderful descriptions…”the sea is smooth like watere...more
Stacy
I want to give this three stars but I was quite bored while reading this even though I wanted to see how everything would get tied up. I think parts of this book went right over my head-especially the ending. Perhaps someone can clear some questions I have up for me: (view spoiler)...more
Elizabeth Grieve
The writing was excellent, and the author's descriptions of Ottoman Istanbul were quite wonderful. Having lived in Istanbul for 10 years, I could recognise the streets and buildings described, and I especially liked the emphasis on Yashim's cooking skills. The recipes are probably familiar to anyone who's tried Turkish food, and made my mouth water.

Having not read any of the previous books in this series, I was a little disappointed to find quite a few references to events outside this story.The...more
Steven Bragg
Once again, the author shows a great deal of descriptive skill, not only concerning Istanbul, but also when he gets going on one of those unearthly culinary feasts. If he ever wants to switch careers, just do restaurant reviews. The author brings back all of the old characters and expands on Yashim's personality a bit more. The plot does not contain quite enough characters, so you can begin to guess who "did it" a ways before the end. Still, there are enough twists to make this a seriously inter...more
Judi

The Baklava Club is detective Yashim's final "and most thrilling" adventure yet. The mystery follows three naive Italian's exiled in Istanbul who have bungled their instructions to kill a Polish prince. Instead they have kidnapped him and run off to a discreet country farm house. Unfortunately, they do not realize their revolutionary "cell" is being given false orders by an impersonator. It's up to Yashim to unravel the mystery for us.

Author Jason Goodwin does an incredible job describing Istanb...more
Ruth
c2014: effendi, Italians, Russians, kidnap, Ottoman. An easy read. Reading this almost straight after Evil Eye, I was disappointed that there was not more about Yashim's background and Istanbul which had been so well done in EE. I know that the author had been considering killing off Yashim and you can see the set up for this plot line. I am not altogether sure whether it worked or not. So, whilst it was an enjoyable read, I don't think that it was the best of the lot which is a pity if it the l...more
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
Ok, this is the 5th and final (?) book in the series about Yashim the Investigator. I really hope it isn't because I just love the stories. Again, they're set in Istanbul in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire and have historical detail that doesn't get in the way of a good story. I sincerely hope the author finds that he must write another book about Yashim.
Argum63
Not sure what to make of this entry into the series. A bit more higgely piggely than usual, but all the pieces do come together in the end. I wouldnt recommend this as a starting point in the series, very much written for the series reader despite not having plot spoilers to previous books. It just seems that if you didnt know and love these characters and already understand their relationships and their world you wouldnt understand a single thing that was happening.
Leo Africanus
A damp squib of a finale to an otherwise masterful quintet. Sadly this final installment seemed rushed. There were glimmers of the suspense, action and culinary prowess that became the hallmarks of the series and Yashim, the protagonist himself, fails to disappoint.
Jenny
slower than the pervious books but I still enjoyed it.
Janet
what a great mystery; never saw the ending coming!
Colleen
thought the ending was very tricky. Much like the ending of great expectations open to interpretation.
Sorry to see the series go. This one had all of the usual-food- sex despite the main character being a eunuch- the friendship of Yashim and the Polish ambassador. Wouldn't reccomend unless you were already familiar with the series.
Rachel
Review to follow soon.
Liz
Not up to par with past Yashim stories
the_cat
the_cat is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Gautam Patel
Gautam Patel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Anne Dunning
Anne Dunning is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Murat Aydogdu
Murat Aydogdu is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Claire Gardner
Claire Gardner marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Jason Goodwin studied Byzantine history at Cambridge University - and returned to an old obsession to write The Gunpowder Gardens or, A Time For Tea: Travels in China and India in Search of Tea, which was shortlisted for the Thomas Cook Award. When the Berlin Wall fell, he walked from Poland to Istanbul to encounter the new European neighbours. His account of the journey, On Foot to the Golden Hor...more
More about Jason Goodwin...
The Janissary Tree (Yashim the Eunuch, #1) The Snake Stone (Yashim the Eunuch, #2) The Bellini Card (Yashim the Eunuch, #3) Lords of the Horizons: A History of the Ottoman Empire An Evil Eye (Yashim the Eunuch, #4)