Start by marking “People of the Morning Star (North America's Forgotten Past, #21)” as Want to Read:
People of the Morning Star (North America's Forgotten Past, #21)

People of the Morning Star (North America's Forgotten Past #21)

Award-winning archaeologists and New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear begin the stunning saga of the North American equivalent of ancient Rome in People of the Morning Star.
The city of Cahokia, at its height, covered more than six square miles around what is now St. Louis and included structures more than ten stories hi
Published May 6th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about People of the Morning Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Morning Star

Ernest Spoon
Aug 04, 2014 Ernest Spoon rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have ever read by the husband and wife team of W. Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear in their long running "North America's Forgotten Past" series.

"People of The Morning Star" concerns an internecine "power"--an all important concept in the book--struggle within the ruling Four Winds clans at the ancient city of Cahokia, now in the state of Illinois, at the height of its religious, political and military influence in the 12th Century CE.

The Gears weave sex, violence and
Sue
Jul 28, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
This is another fantastic book by the Gears. It’s hard to believe that this is the 21st book in their series “North America’s Forgotten Past”, also called the People series. Most of the books in the series are stand alone books so they can be enjoyed separately rather than feeling like you have to read the entire series. Having said that, I can hardly believe that anyone wouldn’t want to read the entire series. I’ve loved every book.

This particular book is on the second and even more resplendent
J. Ewbank
May 20, 2014 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
The Gear and Gear books have been a favorite of mine. This book is no exception. The stories and characters are well drawn out and the history of the tribes is developed in an interesting manner. Along with the story you learn about their culture, which is a plus and enjoyable. A wonderful series.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
John Hahn
May 25, 2014 John Hahn rated it really liked it
Good read in the tradition of the Gears. A little more bloody then previous ones.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 21, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
The short opening with a modern era tale sets the focus and background for the Mound Builders of the Central Midwest. The main story is a fictional account of a clan's plans to topple the ruling clan of the Mound Builders. The fast moving pace keeps the story from bogging down.
Sherry
Oct 19, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by the Michael and Kathleen Gear. In this installment we visit the Cahokia in Illinois, the largest civilization in North America around AD1000. Great story and intrigue. This book was more real to me as I visited the Cahokia Mounds in Illinois last summer and climbed the steps to the mound where Morning Star would have had his palace. Looking forward to the sequel due out soon.
Nick
Sep 19, 2016 Nick rated it liked it
The premise really interested me, but the execution disappointed. I would have liked less mystical stuff, more archeological/antholopological notes (the authors have some, at the beginning and the end, but nearly enough) and a tighter story. Too many narrators, some quite superfluous. The ending left me uncertain and annoyed as to what really happened. Some very good aspects, too. The story had action and suspense, enough to keep me wanting to read. Some of the characters were amusing and ...more
Theresa
Aug 04, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
People of the Morning Star by Kathleen O’Neal Gear, W. Michael Gear
Review: Another hit, by the phenomenal duo of writers that bring American history to life.
People of the Morning star, is a remarkable start to a new series of stories continuing the seven books by the Gear's relating to Cahokia. Cahokia is a remarkable unknown fact in American history. Cahokia is something that the history books have over looked, or have not given ample information.

The Morning Star is a god brought to life. The
Theresa
Feb 10, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Present day story introduction: John Wet Bear, a young man in St. Louis is taught by his uncle his personal history as a descendant of the Cahokia and why he should be proud of it. As an adult he stands up to a slick television commentator who’s trying to say that the Cahokia mounds were built by aliens.

The main story takes place entirely in Cahokia and its suburbs and concerns both political and family intrigue between the ruling Four Winds clan of and those below them. The crisis is being or
J.S. Dunn
Jun 13, 2014 J.S. Dunn rated it it was ok
2.5 of 5...In more holistic terms than the rating stars, much about the characters has been recycled from the Gears' numerous (overly?) prior titles. Characters are recognizable types from previous stories regardless of which particular culture was portrayed. There is the Wise Old Shaman, a pair of hot young Lovers, the Thief/Miscreant, the berdache (term used by the Gears for LGBT tendencies), and so forth.

Within this novel, descriptive terms get much repetition and overuse. One more muscled t
Pamela
Jul 23, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing

Spirit Adventures

As usual, I can hardly wait to lay my eyes on the next book in the North America's Forgotten Past series by the Gears. And, as usual, I became absorbed with this intriguing take on pre-history that is based on actual archeological evidence. Present day discoveries from the Cahokia site dictate a more in–depth look at the people and culture that created it. And an in–depth look at the circumstances surrounding Cahokia's creation and demise.

Any reader of this series knows that

Lynn
Sep 16, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, it is gratifying to see references to characters from previous stories, to learn of the repercussions/results of their actions. Hiding the main antagonist in plain site is quite ingenious; it kept me guessing from beginning to end. Perfect example of how power (of whatever ilk) can be a dangerous commodity.
William
Well-researched from an archaeological point of view, with well-developed characters from a storytelling point of view. Set in pre-Colombian urban center, a cultural/political metropolis the authors refer to as Imperial Cahokia, the characters are both vibrant and, as the authors pointed out, unique to this time and place (one of the main characters, a roguish thief, could not have existed without the anonymity created by Cahokia's cultural melting pot. Like Gears' previous books, the ...more
Fantasy Literature
Aug 16, 2014 Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
People of the Morning Star, by the archaeologist couple Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, is pretty interesting once it gets going. It is set in the Native American (Mississippian) settlement of Cahokia, a city located near modern-day St. Louis, whose population in the 1200s would have made it one of the largest cities in the world. In this book, Cahokia is ruled by the Four Winds clan, led by the Morning Star, a god incarnated into the human flesh of Chunkey Boy, a Four Winds clan ...more
Billy Dominguez
Aug 25, 2015 Billy Dominguez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"People of the Morning Star" is a great addition to the People series. Action, politics, betrayal, assassination, mystery, comedy, religion, and fantasy are all elements to this novel. Following the Four Winds Clan breaking one if their long time enemy tribes Red Wing, assassinations are executed and attempted on the highest ranking nobles of Cohokia. The mighty houses of Cohokia are stunned and are suspecting each other all while there is a plan to take out the ruling clan which contains the ...more
Martha Mcmurry
Sep 14, 2014 Martha Mcmurry rated it it was ok
I read this quickly, skipping over a lot of it, because it is due back at the library. I checked it out from the library because of its cover, which described "A novel of North America's forgotten past." I am always looking for another "Clan of the Cave Bear." That this is not. However, it was interesting to learn about this book, which is one of a series. It is loosely based on archeological findings about Cahokia, a large city near St. Louis, that was built on mounds. There is evidence that ...more
Cindy Matthews
Jul 06, 2014 Cindy Matthews rated it really liked it
Fascinating look into the Mississippian culture at Cahokia of a thousand years ago... I lived across the river from the mounds and always wondered what its citizens had been like before they disappeared. There's a large cast of intriguing characters in this story--from a thief on his way to become the first P.I. to a captured/enslaved warrior on his way to becoming the first paramedic--and the story has more twists and turns than the Big Muddy itself. There is a lot of graphic violence in the ...more
Britt Lauren
Apr 04, 2016 Britt Lauren rated it really liked it
A nice addition to the brilliant "People" series by the Gears. Well written and very suspenseful, with the usual rich detail and knowledge of the subject matter. However, I do feel the violence in this book was a bit gratuitous even if the culture itself was a violent one. I feel one character in particular was needlessly killed. Barring that, it is a good book and I recommend it to those who enjoy the People series. I do suggest reading People of the River prior to this book, as it will lend ...more
Allynn Riggs
Mar 04, 2016 Allynn Riggs rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I last read one of the Gear's books. I love how they fit in all the archeological information and still manage to give us a good story. Some of the explanations can get a bit long or rather complicated but in the overall scheme it fits and gives the reader a better understanding of the politics, society structures and the characters. While it was educational it was also an engrossing read. Did I enjoy the story? You bet! If you like murder mysteries tied up with ...more
Michael
Aug 13, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining book from the Gears. I love the way they take meticulously researched archaeological theories and weave them into very engaging and entertaining (and EDUCATIONAL) stories!

Michael and Kathleen Gear have written many books on the native Americans, all based on their years of real-world archaeological and anthropological experience, yet all of the books are very entertaining and well written and hard to put down.
Steve Baxter
Jul 01, 2014 Steve Baxter rated it did not like it
Sorry, can't recommend this book. Extreme violence. Not much in the way of redeemable value. I read that many of the stories from these authors are recycled. If this is an example of what they write then I won't be back for more. I was very interested to learn more about the Mississippian culture and all I got was a explicit crime drama about crazy people. I was VERY disappointed.
Barb Martin
May 24, 2014 Barb Martin rated it liked it
Took a bit to get into this book, but once I did it was a familiar ride. We had a nice cast of characters, some really appealing characters. It is set up for a sequel. You know the drill. Someone wants to use Power to do evil. The good guys visit the underworld to save their own.
Rick
Jun 26, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
Another good book from the Gears. Not great though, seems like all these books have a similar plot theme............maybe books based on real history have that as a challenge. keep em coming, I'll keep reading them.
Darren
Aug 04, 2014 Darren rated it it was amazing
Characters and places and realities so real you know what they taste, smell, and feel like; possibly one of the best books yet written by this couple. Characters, again, some of the BEST yrt created for aaFantasic story.
Brian Palmer
This is the first book of the Gears I read, and it turned out to be a pretty good read. (Other than the first chapter, which used cardboard characters to knock down badly enough I put off reading the book for quite a while).
K.S. Jones
Sep 16, 2016 K.S. Jones rated it it was amazing
People of the Morning Star takes place around 1100 A.D. in Cahokia (Illinois area) and has an in-depth thriller-esque story line with assassins, magic, spirit forces, and powerful clan leaders. One of my favorite Gear books!
Alan Lampe
Aug 05, 2015 Alan Lampe rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy reading the Gear's work. This is a fantastic story of Cahokia with a mystery that goes all the way to the top. Seven Skull Shield was a joy. I am very happy that the Gear's developed him into the rogue that he is. Well worth your time to read.
Peter Hakkenberg
Jul 15, 2014 Peter Hakkenberg rated it really liked it
A great journey into the life of the 12th century Cahokia Mound civilization in present day Missouri. Great story telling.
Teresa
Jul 05, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
With the last few trilogies, I became bored, but this book shows me they haven't lost it. I put it up w/my favorite by them, People of the Owl.
Janet
Jul 13, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
As always a fantastic book by inspiring writers. Love the details, as the story unfolds there is twists and turns the entire way. A book you just can't put down.
  • People of the Black Sun (People of the Longhouse #4; North America's Forgotten Past #20)
  • The Man Who Killed the Deer
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • The Massacre at Fall Creek
  • The Farfarers: Before the Norse
  • The Strange Case of the Rickety Cossack: and Other Cautionary Tales from Human Evolution
  • The Serpent and the Staff
  • The Children of First Man
  • Indomitable (Intangible, #0.75)
  • Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)
  • Tender Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #5)
  • Roman Dusk (Saint-Germain, #19)
  • Sins of the Flesh (Carmine Delmonico, #5)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

North America's Forgotten Past (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)
  • People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • People of the Lightning (North America's Forgotten Past, #7)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)

“Success is not granted to the talented, rather it is reserved for the doggedly tenacious.” 8 likes