Start by marking “The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  48,927 Ratings  ·  7,321 Reviews
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some tradit
Published July 8th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss of Deception, please sign up.

Lindsay yes its a great book but if you love epic fantasy please read Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas , best book ever full of magic
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Summer I'm another reader who fell victim the Mary E. Pearson's creavity/totally sly writing style! I was utterly confused and stunned at the reveal that…moreI'm another reader who fell victim the Mary E. Pearson's creavity/totally sly writing style! I was utterly confused and stunned at the reveal that Rafe was the Prince and Kaden was the Assassin.
Which actually make me kinda sad... I mean it's more interesting when a princess falls for an assasin rather than for a prince .. (less)

Khanh (the meanie)
I present you a short version of the book: Kiss of Deception: A Greek Dramedy . A Dramedy, not to be confused with a dromedary, because a dromedary only has one hump. This story has two humps. THAT'S RIGHT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A FUCKING LOVE TRIANGLE.

The entire play can be set on one stage with almost no scenery changes because I swear to fucking god nothing fucking happens in this book. It is not a high fantasy when the main character spends the entire fucking half of the book preten
Emily May
Feb 07, 2014 Emily May rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2015
“Is he the first boy you ever kissed?” I asked
“Who says I’ve kissed him?” Pauline replied mischievously. We both laughed. Girls of the royal staff were not supposed to indulge in such unrestrained behaviours.
“Well, if you were to kiss him, what do you think it would be like?”

I have a question - who cares?

Ugh, this book. I rarely give much weight to fantasy titles. They're almost always called "dramatic word of dramatic word" or "dramatic word and dramatic word", but I realize in hindsight that
Kat Kennedy
Two stars. One for each love interest that I didn't care about.
Lola  Reviewer
description

What a beautiful and captivating story.

I’ve always had a soft spot for princess stories, true, but this one is like no other. Our lovely main character, Lia, wants free will…to fall in love with someone she actually knows and cares about. She is tired of always having her life decided, as princesses’ usually are, and the one thing she wants most, love, is up to her to find not for her father to plan.

For her to feel trapped no more, she escapes from her arranged marriage with someone who didn’t
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Review in a GIFfy -- This can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue. FULL REVIEW BELOW.

I must admit, I've never read a book by Mary E. Pearson. So when Kristen practically forced her copy on me (hehe), I was all:

And then I got to chapter 2, and it was on.

Not only is Lia fierce and determined not to be pushed into a marriage she does not desire, but her friend a
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let's talk about first impressions: they are IMPORTANT.

If, for example, you start reading a new book, and the first glimpses you get of ALL THREE main characters are less than flattering, you might be tempted to toss said book aside in disgust and hope the next one goes better.

YES. You might.

And honestly, in this situation, I would not blame you. Not even a little bit.

So here's the deal: I'm not one of those the-less-romance-the-better types. I'm the opposite, in
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads
Zzz...DNF...Zzz...

After turning page 165 of this book over and realizing that half of my attention was asleep...

description

...and the other half was contemplating whether or not I should trim my toenails before tomorrow's pedicure, I decided to call it quits here. You know, before my brain died.

Long story short...

1) I had no feel for the characters.

2) Could give two shits about what happened to said characters...

3) And not one single fuck about berry picking and horse travel.

One through three up there^^^
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
May 15, 2015 Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy-all
This book is a re-read so I can continue on with the trilogy and I liked it the first time around but I loved it this time! Woot!

I loved this book, the atmosphere, the characters, the settings and the descriptions.

Lia is a strong character who decides she wants to live life her way and runs away with Pauline on her wedding day. Lia's family wanted to set her up in an arranged marriage to keep the peace, but it seemed to me they were already in a war regardless so I'm not sure how it would have
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 05, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I forgot how much I love fantasy and this book just sparked my desire to read more. I was captivated from page one. The writing of this book swept me off my feet and transported me to Lia's world. Everything was so vivid and encompassing and every emotion displayed was so relatable that I found myself deeply enjoying the story. Lia is such a great main character. She's strong and sassy unlike the generic YA heroine. Her wit and her class, combined with her capacity to feel such emotion came off ...more
Wendy Darling
I liked this overall, but man, did this love triangle weigh everything down. And STOP SMIRKING, boys. Just stop it.

Review to come, when I'm less cranky.
Angela
Sep 22, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badass-females

Imma need a mani after this book, because it sure was a nail bitter! Whoosh.

Pretty sure by now you all know what the big hook of this book is; you have no idea who the assassin is and who the prince is. I'll let you in on a little secret, I tried to guess and guessed wrong.

This story goes between switching Povs with Lia, Rafe, Kaden, the assassin, and the Prince. I'm becoming more and more a fan of switching views in stories, and this story is an added reason to why. Mary Pearson did an exc
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
This book is a triumph of its genre!

Okay, that may be overstating things only slightly (there were a couple of tiny things I took issue with) but I think it fair to overlook those small things in this case. Especially considering how unfair, reactionary and very nearly malicious I think some of the top-rated reviews for this book here on Goodreads are.

Warning: strong opinions incoming!

I want to start out here by apologizing for what's to come.
I was a bit heated while I wrote it and tried to go
Cait • A Page with a View
This is my third time reading Kiss of Deception and I'm still having an identity crisis. Like which one is he, who do I actually like, WHO AM I EVEN. I love this series so much.

I'm so excited for the final book that I'm reading all of these again to get ready. And this perfect little book is still everything YA fantasy should be. Like the pacing started to kind of drag a little in the last bit but I didn't even care because I loved the world and characters so much.

The basic plot: Lia doesn't wa
Andreea Pop
4.5 STARS

Hello there, instant book obsession.
Hello there, instant need for sequel.
Hello there, instant love for Rafe and Kaden.
I welcome you all with open arms, because I brought this upon myself by reading The Kiss of Deception.

Gods above, this book is unputdownable deliciousness and it is totally worth the raves and hype. So this review won't exactly be a review -- my lips are sealed and my hands tied because I'd hate to give anything away from the glorious slow-burn and anticipation this
sana  °¤°
May 15, 2017 sana °¤° marked it as i-need-this-rn  ·  review of another edition
I had a dream I read this series.

Is this a sign???
Simona Bartolotta
"Who was this girl who thumbed her nose at two kingdoms and did as she pleased?"

It seems 2017 set out to be a year of surprises for me. And if all (most?) of them will be as pleasant and delightful as The Kiss of Deception, we're in business.

•First of all, what I didn't expect to connect with Lia, our MC, so much and so easily. And, strange as it may seem, I don't feel like criticizing her for her decision to flee minutes before her wedding (no spoiler, it's all in the blurb): I was happy to see
Booknut
Move aside Daenerys Targaryen...a new badass princess is coming!
 photo tumblr_mopbb4HBGy1r8t03jo1_500_zps947b4920.gif
Kings throw away your crowns. Queens start practising your curtsey. Because Princess Lia is here to show you how being royal is supposed to be done - going on a journey that will tear her apart & put her back together again as she becomes the woman she was always meant to be.

She doesn't accept lies or deception. She wants to make her own destiny. And she's so badass it's not even possible to describe the insane amounts of badas
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 Wow. I didn’t expect to like this as much as I did!

The premise sounded interesting but I’m very often disappointed with YA romances and even though there were some cheesy moments I ended up going to bed way too late every day until I was done with it!

Totally recommend and I will be continuing the series ASAP!
Faye, la Patata
AND IT IS UP!!!!!

My video discussion of Kiss of Deception can be found here! Only watch it if you've already read the book. Don't forget to discuss with me in the comments and to subscribe if you haven't yet!

Click on the picture below to watch!!! (Yes, there are reenactments)

--------------------

The many faces of Faye while reading Kiss of Deception...

Yup.

VIDEO DISCUSSION TO COME CAUSE THIS NEEDS LEGIT SPOILING AND FANGIRLING AND JUST HAND GESTURES TO GET LES POINTS ACROSS.
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Apr 07, 2014 Jillian (bookishandnerdy) rated it really liked it
Fantastic. I LOVED IT. I need the sequel now!!!
Jiana
Mar 29, 2017 Jiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy reading with Cait!!

Do you hear that? Yes, it's the sound of me crying because I am disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad book, I was just expecting so much more. I was expecting to be blown away. Oh well. Expectations are the worst, let's be real.

As the blurb states, princess Lia escapes the day of her arranged wedding because she doesn't want to abide by traditions and she doe
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 08, 2015 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I AM SO GLAD I REREAD THIS OMFG THIS BOOK EBFEFBFBEJ
Jacqueline
Jul 07, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

The Remnant Chronicles Spoiler Free Series Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMS-6...

Loved rereading it can't wait to read the sequel!
Wendy Higgins
This was my beach read this week. Loved it!
Jessica (priceiswong)
Apr 28, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Finally finished!! I definitely liked this book, but I'm not in love. (my interest REALLY picked up towards the end though, so maybe the next book will be even better!!) (view spoiler) Can't wai ...more
Tami ReadingTeabag
Ich bin absolut überwältigt. Und baff. Und verzaubert. Und benebelt. Rezension folgt nächsten Monat auf meinem Kanal :)
Maureen
2.5/5
This was just okay to me. For the most part enjoyable for me to read but nothing spectacular.
I really liked Lia, she was the one shining star in the whole book. And for the most part, I really enjoyed the characters. The development could use some work but I really liked reading about them.
The world building was not great, and the fact that we didn't know who people were until 300 pages in was frustrating to me in a bad way. There's good and bad frustration and this was bad frustration. (Ev
Mila BlackSheep BS
“We looked at each other, and he sent me a message with his eyes. It only lasted a brief second, but it was a full, knowing look that said everything I had felt and imagined about us was true.”

description

EYES CAN’T SEND THINGS, THEY’RE NOT FUCKING WHATSAPP.

Truth is I tried reading this book a while ago, but DNFed it at around 30%. Recently I read the author’s other book “The Adoration of Jenna Fox” and really liked it, so I decided to give this one a second chance. The first time I tried this I had seve
Anja
Feb 25, 2017 Anja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5 HEART SHATTERING STARS*

"It can take years to mold a dream. It takes only a fraction of a second for it to be shattered.”

I know I'm really late to be jumping on the Remnant Chronicles train, but... Oh shit. This was GOOD! Yup, instant book obsession right here.
It's been a while since I enjoyed a book this much (probably ever since the ACOTAR books or something). I'm so glad I decided to finally pick this one up after having this on my tbr list for so long. I don't have any regrets.

This once
Vitor Martins
Comecei a ler The Kiss of Deception morrendo de medo de não gostar. Meus melhores amigos AMAAAARAMMM e eu não queria ser o demônio do grupo. Ainda bem que não fui :)

Esse livro foi uma jornada incrível! Logo de cara eu já adorei a protagonista. Tive medo de rolar triângulo amoroso princesa x príncipe x assassino mas isso não acontece. Desde o começo já sabemos de quem a Lia realmente gosta, e eu me apaixonei por ele junto com ela. (view spoiler)

Adorei a am
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1)
  • The Wizard’s Promise (The Hanna Duology, #1)
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Deception's Princess (Deception's Princess, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • Plus One
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • The Queen's Choice (Heirs of Chrior, #1)
  • Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
I suppose I have always been enamored with story and character. My mother tells me I could be the most annoying little kid, waking up each day as a new character. Every morning she would have to ask me "who" I was for that day, because unless properly addressed I refused to answer anyone.

One time when I was about four years old, my parents were out shopping at Sears. They each thought the other h
More about Mary E. Pearson...

The Remnant Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)

“It can take years to mold a dream. It takes only a fraction of a second for it to be shattered.” 302 likes
“I will find you.
In the farthest corner, I will find you.”
232 likes