The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)

The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The war that they had feared is now upon them. Ashe and Rhapsody, leaders of the Cymrian Alliance, are gathering their allies to combat the machinations of Talquist, who will soon be crowned emperor of Sorbold. Gwydion Navarne remains by Ashe’s side. Anborn, Lord Marshal, has taken to the field. And Rhapsody has been forced into hiding to protect the life of her infant son...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Merchant Emperor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Merchant Emperor

Lindsey Faire
OH SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THINGS HOLY!!!!!! I have NEVER been this excited over a book in all my life! This series is *the* reason I am an avid devourer of books. I had completely given up any hope of Hayden ever finishing it. And in fact it is due to the MIA #7 that I outright refuse to read incomplete series. I heartbreak I experienced was so much that about 100 pages before finishing Assassin King I had to stop because I couldn't bare leaving the story where it was headed. I've looked longingly...more
Taisin
2 and a half.
I like the series. I love some characters. I was so glad to see the series continued and to meet all the cast again. But... But the book is so badly written, it's just painful. Nothing moves. Everything is drowned in overexposure and repetition.
It's the 7th book in the series! It stands to reason, that no-one will start the series with this one. Then WHY are we "treated" to the summaries of the previous 6 books in endless monologues? Why?
Why every scene of importance is first shown...more
Suretha Thacker
I started screaming when I saw this! I had absolutely no idea that it was coming out - and so soon! I have been waiting for this since Assassin King came out years ago. I kind of want to call out sick to work just so that I can read the series again before I get the new book.
Anna
Oct 21, 2013 Anna marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
SO EXITED! Love this series!
Roger
I just got too bored to even finish this, nothing seems to happen other than the author showing us that the bad guy is really bad and that none of his cohorts can be bothered to check his amazingly horrible stories.
Liz

AH MY GAWD.
Come one, girlfiend please please please don't leave me hanging on like this :(

Original:Oh sweet June, come soon
I've waited so long, to complete this song
Linda Vega
I had no idea this book was coming out or that it was even being made. I have been waiting for ages (hehe, see what I did there? XD) for this book to even hear rumors about a seventh one being made. This was my initial reaction when I saw this in the newsletter.

And then this ensued.
description
So it's safe to say that I really can't wait for this to come out in paperback.
Redfox187
May 30, 2014 Redfox187 marked it as to-read
Why oh why can't they put out the paperbacks at the same time??? I get so excited about a new title coming and then I have to wait an extra year to buy it in my format of choice!
Brian Palmer
One thing Haydon has done well since introducing the series has been changing -- and scaling (pun somewhat intentional, given the increasing number of dragons involved) -- up the conflict from the first books of the series. The main characters are now being confronted with a serious opponent who has many advantages, and yet *isn't* the at-times overpowerful demons of the past. Moreover, in this book, there are strong hints that the main characters are making some serious mistakes that will come...more
Carol
Here's what I have to say about this book: it was almost, almost worth the wait!! Many questions still unanswered, obviously still great chances for beloved characters to die, but I tell you this- - what an ending!!!!! I wanted to cheer out loud at the ending, as well as an earlier part! FINALLY!!! Several wrongs have finally been righted. They're no where near out of the woods yet, but this book was a very satisfying read.

Now to begin the wait for the next book. I've heard it won't be as long a...more
Mathew Whitney
I received this book free through Goodreads' First Reads program.

The first book (Rhapsody) is the only other book I have read in this series. However, the author does a good job of covering the important points of what has occurred in the previous books as needed to help in understanding the events occurring within The Merchant Emperor. I believe I could gain a lot by going back and reading books 2 through 6, but I don't feel that not having reading them slowed me down after the first few chapte...more
David Teachout
The characters in this series are such that they not only come alive in the telling (which is brilliant), but as people who, despite their fantasy-nature, the reader would know if passed on the street. There is no cardboard cutouts here, no simplicity. This is raw living and the sometimes horrible decisions that need to be made to fight evil. There was not a moment that this could be put down and the ending is, well, utterly perfect and a great way to assuage the reader from the acknowledgement...more
Sandy
Welcome back to the Mid-Continent Ms. Haydon. There were lots of loose story lines at the end of Book 6 and a long wait find some closure. I eagerly awaited this book and for the most part was not disappointed. There was however, a lot of talking and character interplay but very little of the action from previous books. Still, catching up with Achmed, and Grunthor and Rhaposdy and friends was welcome. Hope we don't have to wait long for Book #8.
Zoë
I read the earlier parts of this series many years ago, and was enthralled. Naturally, I was thrilled to see this new installment come out years after I thought the series had ended. This didn't flow for me as much as the books of the past had. It could be in part because it had been so long since I read the previous books, but I also found it to be initially slow and uneventful in general. Though it picked up in the last 150 pages or so, it wasn't as engaging as earlier books in the series.
Marya Murphy
I really liked the first three, but the subsequent books slip into self-parody. Such wholly GOOD and wholly EVIL characters. Though Achmed remains. One moment with Achmed made me gasp and tear up. I'm still massively fond of Achmed, Grunthor and Anborn.
Traci Dirom
Read it loved it amazing. 8 year wait and read it in one day…here’s hoping it’s not 8 more years until the next one comes out…yes it does leave things on a cliffhanger so there is a book 8
Becky
This book brought back the excitement I had when reading the first book Rhapsody. I hope that Elizabeth Haydon does not take eight years to write the next book.
Joe Aguiar
I absolutely loved the original trilogy in this series and have enjoyed the other books in various degrees but, to make us wait 8 years for a book that takes close to 400 pages to really get going and spends most of it's time wallowing in soap opera-ish melodrama, is nothing more then a disappointment coming from a writer like Haydon.
Liz Neering
A beautiful world with some very unique elements, but overall just not my bag. A lot of buildup and conversation and foundation-laying, but not much HAPPENING. Not a great entry point into the series for new readers.
Rick
Well done. More to come. Die Talquist!
Kimberly Ann
I guess so much time between the last book and this one didn't help in my enjoyment of this installment in the series. It was hard for me to start and to finish and I will be honest, I skipped some pages. But I will say this...Achmed is still great! I love him and Grunthor and they really make the book readable for me.
Landon
She never ceases to impress. Engaging characters, complex and detailed plot lines, innovative cultures, and virtuosic prose all contribute to making this a great book, worth the wait.
Karen Cinnamond
A big disappointment-8 years or 8 months. I wonder what is going on for Ms Hayden?
Lisa Kelly
Lisa Kelly marked it as to-read
James Murray
James Murray marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dubnoreix
Dubnoreix marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Cover art 1 14 Mar 06, 2014 03:39AM
  • Cast in Flame (Chronicles of Elantra, #10)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords, #9)
  • Little Knife (The Grisha, #2.6)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • Blood Red (Elemental Masters, #10)
  • Full Fathom Five (Craft Sequence, #3)
  • The Seat of Magic (The Golden City, #2)
  • Child of a Hidden Sea (Hidden Sea Tales, #1)
  • The Friendship
  • Temptation in Shadows
  • Summoned (Redemption's Heir, #1)
  • Tribute
  • Fire Rising (Dark Kings, #2)
  • Steles of the Sky
  • Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,...more
More about Elizabeth Haydon...
Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3) Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4) Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)