Start by marking “The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)” as Want to Read:
The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)

The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  404 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The war that they had feared is now upon them. Ashe and Rhapsody, leaders of the Cymrian Alliance, are gathering their allies to combat the machinations of Talquist, who will soon be crowned emperor of Sorbold. Gwydion Navarne remains by Ashe’s side. Anborn, Lord Marshal, has taken to the field. And Rhapsody has been forced into hiding to protect the life of her infant son ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Merchant Emperor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Merchant Emperor

Lindsey Faire
May 27, 2014 Lindsey Faire rated it it was amazing
OH SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THINGS HOLY!!!!!! I have NEVER been this excited over a book in all my life! This series is *the* reason I am an avid devourer of books. I had completely given up any hope of Hayden ever finishing it. And in fact it is due to the MIA #7 that I outright refuse to read incomplete series. I heartbreak I experienced was so much that about 100 pages before finishing Assassin King I had to stop because I couldn't bare leaving the story where it was headed. I've looked longingly ...more
Taisin
Jun 11, 2014 Taisin rated it it was ok
2 and a half.
I like the series. I love some characters. I was so glad to see the series continued and to meet all the cast again. But... But the book is so badly written, it's just painful. Nothing moves. Everything is drowned in overexposure and repetition.
It's the 7th book in the series! It stands to reason, that no-one will start the series with this one. Then WHY are we "treated" to the summaries of the previous 6 books in endless monologues? Why?
Why every scene of importance is first shown
Linda Vega
Jun 02, 2014 Linda Vega rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I had no idea this book was coming out or that it was even being made. I have been waiting for ages (hehe, see what I did there? XD) for this book to even hear rumors about a seventh one being made. This was my initial reaction when I saw this in the newsletter.

And then this ensued.
description
So it's safe to say that I really can't wait for this to come out in paperback.
Suretha Thacker
May 29, 2014 Suretha Thacker rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I started screaming when I saw this! I had absolutely no idea that it was coming out - and so soon! I have been waiting for this since Assassin King came out years ago. I kind of want to call out sick to work just so that I can read the series again before I get the new book.
Anna
Oct 21, 2013 Anna marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
SO EXITED! Love this series!
Christina
Feb 05, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
It took a while for things to really get moving & while I notice that many other readers have been complaining about the rehashing & summaries in this book, I don't agree with them. I love this series & normally with such a great gap in time between book releases I would reread the series but I just didn't have it in me to do so as I was too impatient after such a long wait to read this book. So the rehashing was very useful to remind me of a few things I had forgotten over the years ...more
Roger
Sep 04, 2015 Roger rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I just got too bored to even finish this, nothing seems to happen other than the author showing us that the bad guy is really bad and that none of his cohorts can be bothered to check his amazingly horrible stories.
Liz
Jul 09, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing

AH MY GAWD.
Come one, girlfiend please please please don't leave me hanging on like this :(

Original:Oh sweet June, come soon
I've waited so long, to complete this song
Dawna
Jul 29, 2015 Dawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping installment in the Symphony of Ages

If you've been following the epic story told in Haydon's previous six books, then this next book in the series will pull you into the world of The Three once again. The multilayer plots build as the Alliance is under attack by the scheming merchant emperor, Talquist.

They also face dragons both friends and foe, old pantheon F'dor, an evil indestructible monster made of living stone, Ashe losing his sanity, Achmed's anger at Rhaspsody, the protec
Brian Palmer
Sep 07, 2014 Brian Palmer rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One thing Haydon has done well since introducing the series has been changing -- and scaling (pun somewhat intentional, given the increasing number of dragons involved) -- up the conflict from the first books of the series. The main characters are now being confronted with a serious opponent who has many advantages, and yet *isn't* the at-times overpowerful demons of the past. Moreover, in this book, there are strong hints that the main characters are making some serious mistakes that will come ...more
Solace Winter
Sep 03, 2015 Solace Winter rated it it was ok
I was so excited for this book. I have waited 10 very long years to read this book. And it seems like Ms. Haydon forgot everything that happened in the 5 previous books. Seriously. Rhapsody somehow doesn't know in this book why Achmed is treating her so poorly, despite the fact that he's never made it secret he's in love with her and thinks she should have chosen him over Ashe (I agree). Grunthor is an afterthought to Anborn, of all characters, who wasn't all that interesting to begin with. The ...more
Marya Murphy
Jun 10, 2014 Marya Murphy rated it liked it
I really liked the first three, but the subsequent books slip into self-parody. Such wholly GOOD and wholly EVIL characters. Though Achmed remains. One moment with Achmed made me gasp and tear up. I'm still massively fond of Achmed, Grunthor and Anborn.
Erica
Mar 31, 2015 Erica rated it it was ok
Redfox187
Jan 03, 2016 Redfox187 rated it really liked it
Why oh why can't they put out the paperbacks at the same time??? I get so excited about a new title coming and then I have to wait an extra year to buy it in my format of choice!
Carol
Jul 29, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
Here's what I have to say about this book: it was almost, almost worth the wait!! Many questions still unanswered, obviously still great chances for beloved characters to die, but I tell you this- - what an ending!!!!! I wanted to cheer out loud at the ending, as well as an earlier part! FINALLY!!! Several wrongs have finally been righted. They're no where near out of the woods yet, but this book was a very satisfying read.

Now to begin the wait for the next book. I've heard it won't be as long a
Brian Peterson
Sep 23, 2014 Brian Peterson rated it really liked it
I had been waiting for this book to be released for a while, and was excited to discover it was available. I don't recall all of the previous books, since I have been reading them as they came out for the most part.

I feel like I am missing something since I haven't read the other books set in the same universe, or haven't read the other books in the series.

That said, there were some excellent parts in this book, and it reminds me of some of the original reasons why I liked the series originally.
Crystal
Sep 29, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
Leigh
Jan 23, 2015 Leigh rated it really liked it
I, like many others, have been waiting forever for this book. I absolutely loved the initial trilogy when I read it in high school, and continued to fall in love with them as the series continued. This book was both a joy and a disappointment. I was glad that my favorite characters were featured more heavily then in the last book, and some of my less favored characters were more absent. I very much enjoyed reading it. That being said, I only enjoyed reading it because I am already six books in, ...more
Mathew Whitney
Apr 24, 2015 Mathew Whitney rated it really liked it
I received this book free through Goodreads' First Reads program.

The first book (Rhapsody) is the only other book I have read in this series. However, the author does a good job of covering the important points of what has occurred in the previous books as needed to help in understanding the events occurring within The Merchant Emperor. I believe I could gain a lot by going back and reading books 2 through 6, but I don't feel that not having reading them slowed me down after the first few chapte
David Teachout
Aug 01, 2014 David Teachout rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
The characters in this series are such that they not only come alive in the telling (which is brilliant), but as people who, despite their fantasy-nature, the reader would know if passed on the street. There is no cardboard cutouts here, no simplicity. This is raw living and the sometimes horrible decisions that need to be made to fight evil. There was not a moment that this could be put down and the ending is, well, utterly perfect and a great way to assuage the reader from the acknowledgement ...more
M.Q. Barber
Dec 26, 2015 M.Q. Barber rated it really liked it
God, I missed these characters. After so many years, the opening was a bit slow for my taste; I would've preferred to start at Rhapsody's side. But as I settled back into the Symphony of Ages world, I lost myself in the story.

This is absolutely a series that must be read in order. The majority of the story's emotional beats depend on knowing what has come before -- who these people are to themselves and who they are to each other. Much of the plot here is preparation for war; the advancement (o
Sandy
Jul 16, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Welcome back to the Mid-Continent Ms. Haydon. There were lots of loose story lines at the end of Book 6 and a long wait find some closure. I eagerly awaited this book and for the most part was not disappointed. There was however, a lot of talking and character interplay but very little of the action from previous books. Still, catching up with Achmed, and Grunthor and Rhaposdy and friends was welcome. Hope we don't have to wait long for Book #8.
Colleen
Nov 02, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I read this series quite some time ago and it has been one of my favorites. When I saw that the new one in the series was coming out I decided to reread them. I was absolutely thrilled when I won this new one in a first reads drawing! I know it was a long time in coming but I believe it was well worth the wait as the story continues of our beloved characters who have been doing a lot of planning for the beginning of this war as they try to hold onto all they hold dear. All the while the evil Tal ...more
Mike O'brecht
Jul 01, 2015 Mike O'brecht rated it really liked it
I always loved this series. I'm really happy to see Elizabeth Hayden back on the map again after years of looking for more books by her and always coming up with nothing.

With that said, this book brings about the up coming war of the main continent, something I've also been waiting for for books to come. I loved reading it. My only negative comment would be the amount of crying going on in the book. It was a little much and unnecessary. I'm liking the change near the end, which kind of puts a lo
Mallery
Aug 10, 2015 Mallery rated it liked it
This seemed to take a very long time to get going. On the one hand, it was good as it has been almost a decade since I read the previous book and it took a little bit to remember everyone... But on the other hand, I didn't really enjoy hearing about Talquist's raping and pillaging. I do hate him pretty thoroughly now though. And I did love when it finally got back around to Rhapsody. It was good, just a lot of set up for the finale.
David Sikora
Aug 04, 2015 David Sikora rated it liked it
It has been so many years since the original books ended, it took some time to remember who all the characters were and their relationships with each other. Not much happens in this book, so I am hoping that this is just the set up for more action in the next 2 books.
Rose
Nov 12, 2014 Rose rated it liked it
I did a double take when I saw this on the shelf at my library. Finally a new book! I was able to pick up on where things left off and I love all the character interactions.
Overall the book was good, not great, and I hope we get more without the long wait.
Kelly Martin
Jan 26, 2016 Kelly Martin rated it liked it
I tried to find this book a long time 15 years or so. In that lengeth of time my taste in books have changed. No longer do I enjoy books where the fate of the entire world is held in the balance. For most in the world (even the great ones) only the fate of their country or their world is held in the balance.
Zoë
Jul 02, 2014 Zoë rated it liked it
I read the earlier parts of this series many years ago, and was enthralled. Naturally, I was thrilled to see this new installment come out years after I thought the series had ended. This didn't flow for me as much as the books of the past had. It could be in part because it had been so long since I read the previous books, but I also found it to be initially slow and uneventful in general. Though it picked up in the last 150 pages or so, it wasn't as engaging as earlier books in the series.
Cover art 1 16 Mar 06, 2014 03:39AM
  • Path of Revenge (Broken Man, #1)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)
  • Elsewhens (Glass Thorns, #2)
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • Wolfsbane (Rebel Angels, #3)
  • Untold Tales (Legends of Fyrsta #0.5)
  • No Ordinary Day (Extraordinary Days, #1)
  • The King of the Vile (The Half-Orcs, #7)
  • In the Still of the Night (Black Knight Chronicles #5)
  • Once We Were Like Wolves (Tears of Rage, #2)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Haywire
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • The Seedbearing Prince: Part I (World Breach #1)
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • Shadow (Scavenger, #1)
  • The Wizard, The Farmer, And The Very Petty Princess
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,
More about Elizabeth Haydon...

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • Dirge (Symphony of Ages #9)