Start by marking “Wyatt Earp: A Vigilante Life” as Want to Read:
Wyatt Earp: A Vigilante Life

Wyatt Earp: A Vigilante Life

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Finalist for the 2014 Weber-Clements Book Prize for the Best Non-fiction Book on Southwestern America

In popular culture, Wyatt Earp is the hero of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona, and a beacon of rough cowboyjustice in the tumultuous American West. The subject of dozens of films, he has been invoked in battles against organized crime (in the 1930s), c
Published July 8th 2014 by Hill and Wang (first published June 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wyatt Earp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyatt Earp

Garryvivianne
Wyatt Earp as everybody thinks they know about him, was a law abiding lawman. Movies like Gunfight at the OK Corral made him to be a hero & always against crime. Well, this book, filled with historical notes about the times was very interesting & showed that the "hero" & "lawman" stories were pretty much made up by Wyatt Earp himself. He & most of his family were law breakers, he himself was a con man, a gambler, a brothel bouncer & a thief. Even his family did not know what ...more
Jack Buechner
I forgot to decline the HBOMC distribution that included this…so why not read it? No pressure which allowed me to truly skim the pages as I went from this cousin with Confederate allegiances to this brother who was a recruiter for the Monmouth, Il. Dragoons (USA). The gunfight at the OK Corral (spoiler alert) took place in the vacant lot behind the corral. I learned more about the politics of the southwest up to an including the early days of Hollywood. Worth reading and now it goes to the AAUW ...more
Gaylord Dold
Isenberg, Andrew, Wyatt Earp: A Vigilante Life, Hill and Wang (Farrar Strauss and
Giroux), New York 2013 (296 pp. $30)

Gardner, Mark Lee, Shot All to Hell: Jesse James, The Northfield Raid, and the
Wild West’s Greatest Escape, William Morrow (Harper Collins), New York,
2013 (309 pp. $27.99)

Like the Lincolns half a generation before them, the Earps migrated from the semi-feudal upper South of Kentucky, crossed the Ohio River, and settled in rapidly commercializing central Illinois where Walter Earp
Scott
Andrew C. Isenberg argues against the Hollywoodized portrayal of Wyatt Earp as a righteous lawman called into violent action only as a last resort. But these paper-thin imaginations had started to crumble long ago. Where the book succeeds greatly is in rounding up all of the information available, comparing it all to the myths that Earp largely spread himself through fawning friends and writers (and sometimes "writers"). Sure, Isenberg doesn't seem in any special awe of Earp, but in reality, Ear ...more
Hal
Andrew Isenberg presents in the book on Wyatt Earp a more realistic biography of the man that became an icon of the lawless as wells as law and order western frontier. Earp through his own devices as well as his connections particularly to early Hollywood and publishing houses managed to portray his own select view of how he led the way for law and order in this rough and tumble environ.

The book seems honest and forthright in clarifying the facts behind Earp's real life as opposed to the glorifi
Michele
This was a good biography of Wyatt Earp. There wasn't any information that particularly jumped out at me as being new, but it was a fairly unbiased and realistic look at the man, separating him from the legend that television made of him.
This was a fascinating biography, though it made me glad I didn't have an idealized picture of Wyatt Earp in my head. As it turns out, Earp was a horse thief, gambler, and con artist among other non-admirable traits. He was also a master of constructing his public image in the dawning age of media celebrity, and that's perhaps the most instructive element of this book. It made me want to write about anti-heroes with a good sense for the public mood.
Brenda Dobson
Wonderful book - couldn't put it down - highly recommend it!
Dave Kempf
Book is well researched but author a definite dislike of his subject, Wyatt Earp. I appreciate his refutation of various myths but feels he goes a bit far when interpreting a comment by Bat Masterson to accuse Earp of homosexual activity. Isenberg really dislikes Earp & therefore has a difficult time being unbiased.
Rachel Parrott
Isenberg gives a good unbiased view of the life of Wyatt Earp seeking the man behind the legend. Readers also get looks at many aspects of the Old West painting the landscapes of Earp’s life.

My copy came through Goodreads First Reads.
Nichol
Wyatt Earp: A Vigilante Life left much to be desired. It was scant and the author completely glosses over the women of Earp's life. The last third of the book barely mentions Joesphine. I was very disappointed in this telling of Earp's story.
Dave Kempf
John Walker
Interesting book that shows Wyatt Earp probably the way he really was. Interesting information on the dark side of Dodge City, Wichita and of course Tombstone in Earp's time.

Great Read
Bob
I've read quite a few books about Wyatt Earp and this one ranks as one of the best! Takes apart the "myth" about Wyatt Earp in a very well written and concise manner.
Elizabeth
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I was really disappointed with this I thought it would be really interesting but I found it rather dry and boring.
Clay Davis
You would think with Wyatt Earp in the title he would be in most of the book at most he was just in half of it.
Shannon Burrows
It's sure going to be hard to watch those reruns of Wyatt Earp now on the Western Channel!
Leslie A Cowart
Leslie A Cowart marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
sabrina
sabrina marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Samantha Dunn
Samantha Dunn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Doc Holliday: The Life and Legend
  • Old Man River: The Mississippi River in North American History
  • Brothers at War: The Unending Conflict in Korea
  • Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend
  • Broken Markets: How High Frequency Trading and Predatory Practices on Wall Street Are Destroying Investor Confidence and Your Portfolio
  • Deep State: Inside the Government Secrecy Industry
  • Thieves of State: Why Corruption Threatens Global Security
  • Forgotten Ally: China's World War II, 1937-1945
  • The Secret Sentry: The Untold History of the National Security Agency
  • Humboldt: Life on America's Marijuana Frontier
The Destruction of the Bison: An Environmental History, 1750-1920 Mining California: An Ecological History The Nature of Cities: Culture, Landscape, and Urban Space The Oxford Handbook of Environmental History The Hunting of the Buffalo