Start by marking “All Those Vanished Engines” as Want to Read:
All Those Vanished Engines

All Those Vanished Engines

2.86 of 5 stars 2.86  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In All Those Vanished Engines, Paul Park returns to science fiction after a decade spent on the impressive four-volume A Princess of Roumania fantasy, with an extraordinary, intense, compressed SF novel in three parts, each set in its own alternate-history universe. The sections are all rooted in Virginia and the Battle of the Crater, and are also grounded in the real hist ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about All Those Vanished Engines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Those Vanished Engines

Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/12/05/b...

All Those Vanished Engines was a real doozy to read and rate, as you would expect of meta-fiction. I admit I’m quite inexperienced when it comes books that use it as a literary device, and my feelings for this book remain rather mixed. On the one hand, the ideas and themes in here intrigued me and I found the execution of those themes to be quite clever. That interest alone fueled me throughout the novel, but on the flip
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

2 stars

Alternate past and alternate future mingle with a proto-memoir by Paul Park.

I first encountered Paul Park via The Starbridge Chronicles, a brilliant SF trilogy that was somewhat opaque, even difficult. I followed that to Celestis (disappointing), and The Gospel of Corax (very good, if surprising in nature). When his subsequent series A Princess of Roumania came out, I bought it right away - excited to at last see another Park novel, and about Romania, which I know
Annie
I am left with one question after reading Paul Park's tripartite novella, All Those Vanished Engines. That question is "What the fuck?" All my other questions about this strange book can be summed up in that one useful phrase...

Read the rest of my review at Summer Reading Project.
Gerhard
“It’s all meta-fiction, all the time.”

“I always warned students against complexity for its own sake, and to consider the virtues of the simple story, simply told.”

These two quotes sum up what I found both fascinating and frustrating about this short novel of three inter-linked meta-narratives by Paul Park. On the one hand, Park rather dazzlingly conveys not only the potential of the written word, but the plasticity of the novel format itself.

We are so habituated to traditional narrative formats
Melliane
1.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was hesitant to start this novel and it is true that the reviews were very mixed and it made me anxious. But I think you always have to try a novel by yourself to see how the story really is. The synopsis is rather vague so it’s pretty difficult to really know what will happen here.

I did not know Paul Park or his other series but it’s true that even if the idea is really intriguing and interesting for its originality, I struggled to get into the story.
Althea Ann
This is one of those cases of a whole being less than the sum of its parts.

There is some good writing here. I've had Park's 'Princess of Roumania' on by TBR for a while now, and I'm not revising my plans to read it.

However, this is very explicitly not in the vein of Park's other novels. It's more of a piece of writing *about* his novels (and a number of other things). It's metafiction that explores the differences between (and the intersection of) reality, memory, and imagination.

It's an ambitio
Kit
Perfect for fans of William S. Burroughs, Thomas Pynchon, or J. G. Ballard--by which I mean that the narrative involves a semi-fictional version of the author, multiple stories within stories (all of which affect the tenuous reality of the plot), unreliable narrators, and a hyper-sexualized male gaze regarding any female character. I am not a fan of those authors, and I did not enjoy this book, but clearly I am not its target audience.

I received a free ARC of this book as part of a giveaway offe
Tom Gregorio
I read a review that indicated this book was pompous and pretentiously unreadable. 50 pages in and I had to concede that that was an accurate review. I could give many examples of why I thought it sucked but I won't waste any time: Either the author, publisher, and editor were all wasted or I was. I'm sober, straight, and sane so I'll let you make the call while I add Paul Park's Civil War reconstruction deconstruction to the list of books I'd use as digital toilet paper.
Shaun Duke
"It occurs to me that every memoirist and every historian should begin by reminding their readers that the mere act of writing something down, of organizing something in a line of words, involves a clear betrayal of the truth." -- All Those Vanished Engines by Paul Park (Pg. 173)
Of the novels I've reviewed in the last year, this is by far one of the most difficult. All Those Vanished Engines (2014) by Paul Park is not your typical SF novel. It is layered, divergent, and postmodern. If I were to
Stacy
There was very little science fiction in this book. Sure, science fiction-y things were mentioned but while reading it I just felt like the author had just spewed verbal vomit all over the pages. I thought the first story was science fiction but the other two parts...well, I'm not sure what they were supposed to be...it was more like "here, I have all these ideas...all these thoughts drifting in my mind and I'll try to arrange them in some kind of order..." Good thing this was free (library book ...more
Matthew
Great hard sci-fi. Wonderfully imagined meta-meta-fiction. I'll be looking for more by Paul Park.
Alan
Nov 04, 2014 Alan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My future self
Recommended to Alan by: Title and synopsis
It occurs to me that every memoirist and every historian should begin by reminding their readers that the mere act of writing something down, of organizing something in a line of words, involves a clear betrayal of the truth. Without alternatives we resort to telling stories, coherent narratives involving chains of circumstance, causes and effects, climactic moments, introductions and denouements. We can't help it.
This is even before we start to make things up.
—p.173

All Those Vanished Engines co
Carl
I give this two stars only because he manages to use the Civil War Battle of the Crater as background for each of the three "interconnected" stories.

This has to be one of the most disappointing reads I have come across in quite a long time. Paul Park's name has bounced around the library- particularly about his 4 book fantasy series A Princess of Roumania, and the book has very positive blurbs from writers like Gene Wolfe, whom I have a great deal of respect for.

All three of these "Alt history"
Bob Milne
Aug 31, 2014 Bob Milne added it
Shelves: dnf
Dense, thickly layered, and far too self-aware, this came across as a difficult read that attempted to be clever, but which was just confounding. Part of me wanted to admire the narrative effort behind the meta-fiction, but admiration is not entertainment. I persevered for as long as I could, hoping it might become clear, but eventually just lost patience with it all.
Nigel
The two stars are earned, necessary, even though as the book rolled on to its later sections it managed to be far less unpleasant than its first third. There's just such a brittle, slight connection between the book's alternating pieces, and only the barest sense of a point to any of them being there at all. Other readers have expressed a sentiment similar to "What the fuck did I just read?" but that's more a knee-jerk response to the book's soupy premises and lack of narrative reliability. Park ...more
Fantasy Literature
I'm not a big reader of avant-garde fiction. In fact, I'm SO not a big reader of it that I'm not even sure if I'm applying the term correctly to Paul Park's recent novel All Those Vanished Engines. I'm probably not. But the thing is, I'm not sure what term to apply to it: meta-fiction? Experimental fiction? Alternate history with several unreliable narrators who may or may not be Paul Park himself?

All Those Vanished Engines is a novel told in three parts. The first part is about a child, Paulina
Ian Mathers
I will admit, I took this for review partly (largely?) because the blurb compared it to Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus, one of my favourite novels ever. I can see why; three sections that could be set in different universes or in the same place, viewed different ways; a certain level of ambiguity and self-reflexiveness; no real conclusion or the most definite conclusion, depending on your sensibility. There are definitely differences, though; few people write prose as beautifully as Gene Wol ...more
Ron
Be forewarned, you will loose track of who the main character(s) is/are, what time you are in, what is supposed to be happening. There are interlocking tales that recycle characters, location, and events while spinning the readers expectations and perceptions with little to no clue when the author is switching out tales. The way this novel struck me is the author sees this as one authorial stream of consciousness peering out of different eyes and speaking through diverse mouths. If you enjoy thi ...more
Jacqie
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I think another reviewer expressed my sentiments quite succinctly: WTF?

I haven't read Paul Park before, but knew that he had written "A Princess of Roumania", which I understood to be a YA series somewhat in the vein of His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. So I saw an opportunity here to try his writing out. It was NOT FOR ME.

Everything felt dreamlike, and I couldn't put anything together in a fashion that made any s
Julie
I only read half the book, and that was mostly with confusion and dislike. I finally just couldn't do it anymore. There were glimpses of interesting and well-written work, but not enough to hold me. I think he tried to do something very different, and it just didn't work for me. I wish he had written it straighter because I think he has a lovely voice when he is using it in a language I understand.
Machalla
Couldn't finish it. Don't waste any of your life on this. You'll regret it.
Natalie
This book was neither good nor bad, it just was...
Kirsten
One of the stranger books I've read.
Heather Penner
Abandoned at page 50.
Chris Haggqvist
Still digesting this one... review to come.
Elden
I won this book on goodreads as a first reads giveaway. I unfortunately did not finish this book. I simply could not get into it as the plot was all over the place. There was too many threads and I just could not get into it. The idea behind the story was great, and if the author would have stuck with the story that was happening at the beginning I would have enjoyed it way better. Maybe I stopped too soon but I did get too about the 200th page and was just not enjoying it.
Panzer
I'm not sure what this book wanted from me.
Daniel Cunningham
This was a strange book. To say the least.

Apparently, many people strongly disliked it; I actually found it interesting, confusing, misleading, meandering... and a good read.

But I fully understand people not liking it. This is a book that requires a certain... reader? attitude? patience? point of view? ...a certain something to enjoy, and is definitely not for everyone.
Ian
Excellent metafictional genre novel which ought to be on a few award lists next year but I suspect it won't be - see my full review here http://iansales.com/2014/10/29/all-th...
  • Hurricane Fever
  • Trafalgar
  • Child of a Hidden Sea (Hidden Sea Tales, #1)
  • Upgraded
  • The Dark Between the Stars
  • The Waking Engine
  • War Dogs
  • Copper Magic
  • The Cage
  • The Very Best of Tad Williams
  • Unwept (The Nightbirds, #1)
  • Zero Sum Game
  • Echopraxia
  • Last Plane to Heaven: The Final Collection
  • Sherwood Nation
  • Defenders
  • The Causal Angel
  • Maze
Paul Park (born 1954) is an American science fiction author and fantasy author. He lives in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, with his wife and two children. He also teaches a Reading and Writing Science Fiction course at Williams College. He has also taught several times at the Clarion West Writing Workshop.

Park appeared on the American science fiction scene in 1987 and quickly established himself
More about Paul Park...
A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1) The Tourmaline (Princess of Roumania, #2) The White Tyger (Princess of Roumania, #3) The Hidden World (Princess of Roumania, #4) Soldiers of Paradise (The Starbridge Chronicles, #1)

“The heroine might be unsure. And the reader. But I don’t think the author should be.” 0 likes
“There’s nothing cruel about a vampire or a parasite, she said.” 0 likes