Start by marking “Dead Heading: A Sloan and Crosby Mystery” as Want to Read:
Dead Heading: A Sloan and Crosby Mystery

Dead Heading: A Sloan and Crosby Mystery (Inspector Sloan #25)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Jack Haines reports a break-in at his greenhouse, the motive of the intruder is unclear. Other than the destruction of some expensive orchids, no damage has been done and nothing seems to be missing. But Detectives Sloan and Crosby sense something sinister, and soon their suspicions are confirmed. Similar reports are multiplying and sabotage is the word on everyone's ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Ivonne Rovira
Detective Chief Inspector C.D. Sloan return with the incorrigible Detective Constable William Crosby in tow in Dead Heading, the 25th in the series. Sloan, an inveterate gardener, brings his knowledge to bear in what at first appear to be two unrelated cases: two acts of sabotage involving delicate orchids at two plant nurseries and a prickly spinster named Enid Maude Osgathorp who appears to have gone missing.

Dead Heading boasts clever plotting, memorable characters, and infusions of subtle hum
Joanne
Lynn
This is the first of her mysteries I've read, and it was very well done indeed. All of the pieces kept being obviously connected--somehow--until the end when they all finally did connect. Well plotted and good characters. The main character, Sloan, is consistently interesting. His assistant is a bit less so, and of course the superintendent is a dope. I do wish all superintendents weren't dopes.

But this plot worked nicely, with the reader figuring out the problems along with the detective. And n
Damaskcat
DI C D Sloan decides crime is declining in his area of Calleshire when he is asked to investigate the loss of some valuable orchids at a nursery where it appears the greenhouse doors have been deliberately opened on a frosty night.

A missing person – a former doctor’s receptionist – from the same village seems a bit more like his usual work but there do not seem to be any leads to either crime. When another nursery also loses some valuable orchids in a similar manner it looks as though someone ju
Peggy Ritchey
This is a good British series! Sloan and Crosby investigate break-ins and destruction at two nearby greenhouses, and the disappearance of a local woman. It takes a while to see the connection between these events, and I thought the beginning was a little slow, while the two devoted their time to the greenhouse break-ins, as I am not a gardener. But then the plot gets going and I enjoyed it. I did figure out the killer and where the body was rather early, but it was still a good read.
Susan
Though an eager gardener in private life, Detective chief inspector Sloan thinks he has more significant crimes to investigate than vandalism at a commercial nursery, even though the company lost two greenhouses full of young plants. He also has to look into an elderly woman who hasn't come back from her vacation, even though she's probably just extended her stay. But he--with the dubious aid of Detective Constable Crosby--finds out there's more to both stories than he expected.
Karen
I don't think I've read any other Sloan & Crosby mysteries. I don't usually recommend jumping in mid-series, but it doesn't seem to have hurt me much here. This is just like a favorite Brit mystery on PBS or something: the practical, decent detective and his earnest, but less talented sidekick.

Fine choice for a cozy(-ish) read on a rainy day. Or if you've run out of Midsomer Murders episodes.
Carol Best
I cannot really identify what I enjoy about Catherine Aird's books but they are all good reads and this one hits the mark as well.
Polly
Quite good, definitely more enjoyable (to me, anyway) than the last couple have been.
Mary Hauer
Aird always delivers a good, light, funny read
Tamara
Love this series. Who killed three greenhouses of plants? What happened to an old lady who has been reported as missing?
Rog Harrison
Catherine Aird has been writing this series featuring Detective Inspector Sloan since the 1960s and I have enjoyed most of her books. She has a light style with a lot of humour but there is always a puzzle and the crimes are often murder. Although I could see where this was going I was not quick enough to spot the murderer though looking back all the clues were there.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jaxie
Jaxie is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Marts  (Thinker)
Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Dolores
Dolores marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Oct 28, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
92062
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire
More about Catherine Aird...
The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1) Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2) A Most Contagious Game The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3) A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)