Start by marking “D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 [The Young Readers Adaptation]” as Want to Read:
D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 [The Young Readers Adaptation]

D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 [The Young Readers Adaptation]

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Adapted for young readers from the #1 New York Times–bestselling The Guns at Last Light, D-Day captures the events and the spirit of that day—June 6, 1944—the day that led to the liberation of western Europe from Nazi Germany's control. They came by sea and by sky to reclaim freedom from the occupying Germans, turning the tide of World War II. Atkinson skillfully guides hi ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about D-Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D-Day

Barbara
Filled with detailed descriptions of the preparation and assault on the beaches of Normandy on June 6, this account puts readers right into the thick of the action. Although history books often celebrate D-Day because it spelled the end of German dominance in WWII, they do little to account for the many lives lost and the brave men and women involved in that effort for the Allies. Relying on first-hand accounts and snippets from journals and letters home from the battlefront, Atkinson has simpli ...more
Aaron Maurer
Dec 08, 2014 Aaron Maurer added it
Shelves: 2014
I started off reading a book that defines survival perfectly. D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 by Rick Atkinson is a YA book that brings the larger volume of The Guns At Last Light into context for a younger group of readers. I have read and studied about WW2 more times that I can count, but this book did a great job of sharing the story in a new light. It intertwined the many layers of battle with stories and facts that would hold the interest of a reader wanting to know more. What stood o ...more
Heidi
With the 70th anniversary of D-Day having recently passed, I thought it appropriate to highlight this title this month. Overall, I thought the book was beautifully designed with plentiful photographs and highly readable text. I did find one factual error on the caption of one photograph (Teddy Roosevelt Jr. did not establish the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War, his father did), but I'm assuming that will be fixed in coming editions.

The book breaks up the book into several sections:
Staciel
Jun 08, 2014 Staciel rated it liked it

There are several things that you need to know about us before you continue reading this review... and those things are that my husband is a World War II buff, and that Rick Atkinson is the only author that my hubby 'follows' (get his email updates, etc.), and lastly, my husband heard that this book was coming out & that it was a 'condensed' version of the section on Normandy from the last book in the Liberation trilogy, 'Guns at Last Light' written for younger readers and that he bought it
Alex Baugh
Jun 06, 2014 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
I have to be honest and say that, from a military standpoint, I don't know much about the actual invasion. I have read some books about it, but most were fiction and they were more about the protagonist than the invasion. In truth, when I look at a photos of the Normandy beaches on D-Day, the dyslexic in me sees so much chaos, I don't know how the invasion succeeded.

But now, Rich Atkinson has adapted his adult book The Guns at Last Light for younger readers, focusing on the plan. the preparation
Wayne McCoy
Oct 09, 2014 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
'D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944' by Rick Atkinson is an attempt to create an interesting and informative work for younger readers. For the most part, I think it works.

Pulitzer priae winner Atkinson is best known for his Liberation Trilogy, an exhaustive and excellent history of the Americans in the European theater of war during WWII. This book takes material from the final volume, 'The Guns At Last Light,' to focus just on D-Day. From a brief overview of the war to this point, and the pl
Lev
Oct 23, 2014 Lev rated it it was amazing
Book review By Lev Rubin
I read the book D-Day the invasion of Normandy and it taught me some interesting facts like how many soldiers were used during the battle and how massive the preparations were. The battle was not easy, and as a kid who read many books on battles and WW2 I can vouch for every survivor of the battle and back them up when they said it was a massacre! I bet that the author would agree with me about it to. Many men died during the invasion, about of the men who landed didn’t
Ms. Yingling
Apr 08, 2014 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
This is a shorter version of the adult book, The Guns at Last Light, but still weighs in at 224 pages. This was a very complete overview of the planning that went into the implementation of D-Day, the events of the invasion itself (including the badly flawed air drops), and the consequences of the operation, from the fatalities to the worldwide implications. Period photos on almost every page illustrate this nicely. Lists of key players, maps, and other appendices make this particularly valuable ...more
Elijah J
Dec 16, 2014 Elijah J rated it it was amazing
it was a very well done book i love learning about history as much as i can so this book was a good one for me.
Quinby6696 Frank
Jun 22, 2014 Quinby6696 Frank rated it liked it
Serviceable condensation of Atkinson's Guns at Last Light. Enough facts and statistics to satisfy the hungriest of young D-Day fanatics. More Churchillian quotes or Ted Roosevelt's famous remark after landing on the wrong beach ("We'll start the war right here!" or something similiar), dummy parachutes, the two lonely Luftwaffe pilots sent to repel the entire invasion (so wonderfully portrayed in "The Longest Day" ) so many more iconic human interest stories to include that would have made the b ...more
Tabby Shiflett
3.5 Stars
This work is a condensed version of an adult D-Day history book meant for a younger audience.
3 Stars for the first 3/4 of the book; the flow of the writing and some vocabulary may be difficult for some of the intended audience. This should be for older YA. On the other hand, the statistics and sheer volume of information bumps the book up 1/2 a star.
4 Stars for the end of the work. The lists and other sections are great! I love the section on Operation Fortitude and inflatable tanks. R
AnnieM
Apr 06, 2014 AnnieM rated it it was ok
I'm so disappointed in this book. I'm sure the printed and final copies will be much better, however I won't be buying it for my library. the content is great. The author is known in this field, and I commend him for simplifying his book for younger readers.

I love the publishers for giving us a preview for librarians. I have rated this so low because, I couldn't see 90% of the photos, the photos messed up the content layout and made it impossible to read at points.

this is a perfect example of
Annie Oosterwyk
Jun 15, 2014 Annie Oosterwyk rated it really liked it
This is one I will be buying for my library. Excellent time lines in the front and back provide quick context. The major players are followed throughout and quoted, lending immediacy to events. Strategies are disclosed, and their consequences. Also, the Pacific portion of the war is mentioned, reminding us that we fought WWII on two fronts. The book also follows the German response and strategy.
Maps and photos are a welcome addition to this nonfiction text. Very readable, despite the lack of nar
Parker Steach
Jun 01, 2015 Parker Steach rated it really liked it
Shelves: yal-read
I really liked D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 by Rick Atkinson. This historical, non-fiction book describes the events leading up to the invasion of Normandy and then everything that happened on D-Day, June 6, 1944. It is written in such a way that is easy for a a young teen reader to understand and follow. There are photographs that include captions which provide a visual account of this point in time. I really like how the author wrote the book and sectioned out the chapters.
I thought
Sharon Lawler
Jun 18, 2014 Sharon Lawler rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book but I felt the writing style confused the delivery of events and facts. The author is an authority in the field and this book is based on his highly regarded adult version. Unfortunately, the transition from the adult audience to the youth audience produced a disjointed delivery. The narrative is frequently interrupted by dialogue and quotes, which confused the flow of the story. Excellent back matter with glossary, index, and bibliographies
Joyce
This is a great history for middle schoolers. It's filled with all the main details and enough statistics to please any reader--including adults who might pick it up as a refresher. Well read, too. My complaint, and why is doesn't get a higher mark, is that this material is surely too tough for this age group to absorb without pictures and maps. The book version has them. Perhaps a PDF on disc would have helped.
Janet
Jun 02, 2014 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Concise but compelling story of D-Day for 5-12 grade, lots of pictures, detailed but not too much, lots of supplemental matter. Probably should be in most MS and HS libraries--and depending on the interest of your patrons--especially boys--would work for elementary.(On the other hand, it is probably more than a lot of us really want to know.)
Dec 09, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I was disappointed with this book. I was hoping to use it with my fifth graders but the writing is way too challenging. I think it would be difficult for eighth graders to comprehended. The appendix though is packed with useful information. This book will have to be a supplement for my library.
Tom Blumer
Jun 03, 2014 Tom Blumer rated it liked it
This is a very high level overview of the plans leading up to and including D-Day. Two-thirds of the book is devoted to briefly telling the story. The remaining third I actually found to be the more interesting part of the book. Lots of facts and figures about the war. I have enjoyed the authors previous books, but was somewhat disappointed by this simplistic book.
Braxton
May 09, 2015 Braxton rated it really liked it
I didn't really know very many facts about D-Day, just the horrors of the invasion. This book changed that. It was very packed with all kinds of information, facts, and pictures. Worth one book.
Maria
Written for younger readers, this is a quick look at D-Day the decisions that lead to it and brief description of what it was like to live through it.

Why I started this book: I loved WWII since I read Number the Stars and The Devil's Arithmetic and this is the perfect book for someone starting out in their historical exploration.

Why I finished it: Short, interesting and factual. That's very hard to do with something so epic as the invasion of Normandy.
Missy
Jan 24, 2015 Missy rated it really liked it
A good read for the high school set. Teddy Roosevelt, Jr. was not, however, the leader of the Rough Riders as the caption on page 100 erroneously states.
Kim Bahr
Jun 04, 2015 Kim Bahr rated it liked it
Discusses the planning and execution of the invasion. Hard to follow unless you have a strong background of the invasion
Kirsten
Dec 09, 2014 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Very thorough analysis of the magnitude and magnificence of the D-Day invasion of the Normandy beaches in June 1944.
Stephanie
May 19, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Y.A. version of an adult book. Fascinating history with so many brave men and women giving their lives.
Donald Pryde
Jun 07, 2014 Donald Pryde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, owned, history
A short book but just as good as the rest of Rick Atkinsons books. Especially poignant on the 70th anniversary of D Day.
Daisey
Jan 03, 2016 Daisey rated it really liked it
This book did a great job of explaining the events leading up to and throughout D-Day. It is full of clear description and interesting facts. There are lots of photos to go along with the information and lists of facts and figures to add more detail. I thought it was a little slow in the beginning as it described all the planning and preparation, but once it got to the actual invasion I was fascinated. I would highly recommend it to young adult readers interested in WWII history.

* I received an
Apr 01, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Packed information, but highly readable.
Colby.urban
Mar 24, 2015 Colby.urban rated it liked it
This book is about d day the story of all of the people in it what happened to the reporters what the reporters did to get there great photos and what events lead up to d day and how this part of ww2 was won. I recommend this book to people who like books about all the facts on the true events.
Beth
ARC supplied by publisher via NetGalley
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • Dead in the Water (World War II, #2)
  • Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • "The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—From Cleopatra to Camus
  • Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
Born in Munich, in the Federal Republic of Germany, Atkinson is the son of a U.S. Army officer and grew up on military posts. He holds a master of arts degree in English literature from the University of Chicago. He is the best-selling author of The Long Gray Line, a narrative account about West Point’s class of 1966; Crusade, a narrative history of the Persian Gulf War; and An Army at Dawn , the ...more
More about Rick Atkinson...