Start by marking “Forty-one False Starts: Essays on Artists and Writers” as Want to Read:
Forty-one False Starts: Essays on Artists and Writers

Forty-one False Starts: Essays on Artists and Writers

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
A National Book Critics Circle Finalist for Criticism

A deeply Malcolmian volume on painters, photographers, writers, and critics.

Janet Malcolm's In the Freud Archives and The Journalist and the Murderer, as well as her books about Sylvia Plath and Gertrude Stein, are canonical in the realm of nonfiction—as is the title essay of this collection, with its forty-one "false st
Published May 13th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published April 24th 2013)

Wendell
The haphazard, somewhat thrown-together quality of the essays and profiles included in Forty-One False Starts keeps this collection from being a truly satisfying record of Malcolm’s writing on contemporary artists and writers. Several very brief pieces, including two near the end, should simply have been left out: they’re notebook jottings, not finished pieces; and Malcolm’s famous, long article on Ingrid Sischy, “Girl of the Zeitgeist” from 1986, has aged rather badly, perhaps because the petty ...more
Bernie
Jul 11, 2013 Bernie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first sentence in Janet Malcolm's controverisal book, "The Journalist and the Murderer," is probably the most provocative line she's ever written. The book was about the relationship between Jeffrey MacDonald, convicted of murdering his family, and Joe McGinnis, the writer who pretended to befriend him. The sentence is, "Every journalist who is not too stupid or too full of himself to notice what is going on knows that what he does is morally indefensible." McGinnis never recovered from the ...more
Alex Sarll
With one exception*, these essays from publications with 'New York' in their titles concern writers I have no interest in reading, and artists whose work means nothing to me; the one of them I even put into Google Images was a grave disappointment compared to how luminously intriguing Malcolm had made him sound. A quarter of the book is taken up with a long piece on ructions at an eighties New York art magazine, a subject on which I would struggle to give less of a toss. And yet, when it's all p ...more
Pamela
May 10, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this book over at The Millions (clickable link)
Genevieve
Some say the best-written reviews and critiques reveal something about the critic as much as the subject being reviewed. With that criteria, you would think Forty-one False Starts by Janet Malcolm would be brilliant, the writing being so self-absorbed.

To be fair, the title essay was fascinating and engaging, a critique of the larger-than-life artist David Salle told in 41 short sections that give us different facets and points of view on Salle; its unique form is a commentary on the writing/cre
Jaclyn
Oct 11, 2014 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection includes essays from 1986-2011. Malcolm’s profiles are layered and interesting. She finds the extraordinariness in the person and the situation surrounding the person and strings together each fascinating element, as if knitting a garment that when completed is presented as a gift that no one wants to return.

I am not an insider in the art world and I had to look up all of the artists she profiled. But I never felt like an outsider while reading the essays. My googling was a resu
Catherine
Aug 13, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fantastic collection of essays - covering David Salle, Edith Wharton, Julia Margaret Cameron, Virginia and Vanessa Bell, among others - is quite unlike any other I've read. Janet Malcolm takes the idea of "review" and "critique" to a different level. She truly is an original thinker and an incisive critic. I disagreed with almost everything she wrote in this collection, but, boy did she make me think. I was outraged, humbled, and enervated. I really want to have lunch with her.
Blaine Harper
As if The Journalist and the Murderer and Two Lives weren't enough for me to go by! But I read those for class, so the interesting part of observing Malcolm's writing tics is over and done with. The title essay was so pretentious that I, even as member of the expected audience, felt alienated and bored. And I'm morally opposed to the writing of seven-page essays with two full pages' worth devoted to block quotes (see The Woman Who Hated Women).
Blair
Feb 10, 2014 Blair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My interest waned in this a little towards the end and Malcolm's writing wasn't enough to get me absorbed in subjects I didn't have a pre-existing interest in. I enjoyed the essays on Bloomsbury and Salinger the most.
Vonetta
Nov 25, 2013 Vonetta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm no longer a student, so I am not forced to read pretentious academic material that is in no way pleasurable. That said, I put the book down after the title essay and the one about Edith Wharton. Life's too short to read books I don't like. Also, the fact that the author has her own adjective, "Malcolmian," is exhausting.
Kallie
Apr 03, 2014 Kallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book of essays; these pieces are reportage and should be read as such. Malcolm's work in this book seems to me more about connecting with her subjects and her subjects' subjects (i.e. painting), which are also of great personal interest to her, and persuading them to reveal themselves and their unique relationships to their subjects -- an interest that differentiates her work from that of biographers who primarily seek gory childhood and marriage details. Not that M would refuse su ...more
Hank Stuever
Jan 22, 2014 Hank Stuever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the memorable title piece, which was fantastic when it first ran in the New Yorker and is still 98 percent as fantastic now (but caution to all writers who are thinking of aping it: the structure worked exactly once), most of the rest of these Malcolm articles should be labeled "for serious fans only."

These are deep -- and deeply intellectual -- essays on well-known and also arcane subjects of art, literature, photography. My favorite piece, after "Forty-One False Starts," is "Capitalist
Aseem Kaul
Jan 12, 2014 Aseem Kaul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How amusing that a book called Forty-one False Starts should start off strong and gradually peter out towards the end!

The best pieces in Janet Malcolm's book are the ones in the beginning: the profile of David Salle that gives the book its title is one of the most creative and insightful pieces I've read in a long while, the piece on the Bloomsbury legend is fascinating, and her take on Salinger's Franny and Zooey left me itching to re-read that book.

The essays that follow are nowhere near as
Brendan
I received a promotional copy of this book through the First Reads program.

Rating: Somewhere in the 3 to 3 1/2 range.

I really like the title piece. "Capitalist Pastorale" is a waste of time. The others fall somewhere in between, with "Edward Weston's Nudes" being one of the better pieces and the Bloomsbury piece falling flat.

There are whiffs of elitism and NYC-centrism scattered throughout the book. She likes to quote other writers, and does so a bit too much for my taste. Sometimes it seems a
Tiffany
I have always respected the ability of the pen. But I have never seen the sharpness and strength of the pen until I had read a Janet Malcolm piece. Malcolm's writing has always either opened my eyes to the art world, or forced me to appreciate how everything either stems from this world or attributes to it; everything contributes to everything, and has meaning. This collection of her essays has only served to deepen my respect for her and the pen as her instrument of wonder. I will honest that t ...more
JQAdams
Dec 06, 2014 JQAdams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Malcolm, largely by dint of subject matter, is usually about my least-preferred of the New Yorker staff writers, and this anthology of her work (about "artists and writers") didn't change my mind. If you're looking for a 75-page account of the squabbles among the editorial board of a prominent art-criticism journal during the mid-1980s, though, I have just the thing for you. Most of the pieces aren't that protracted, thankfully, but this just wasn't on my wavelength.
Malcolm makes good sentences. While enjoyable to read, some ideas in this volume are stuck in the past, which is a shame any time an intelligent writer lingers in the past (salman rushde comes to mind). Specifically, when she differs with Chesterton, claiming there is no more pure white virtue since Hitler, only grey "decency." Hitler did not introduce large-scale evil into the world, and Chesterton was aware of atrocities we prefer not to imagine.
Harriet
Feb 20, 2015 Harriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of literary or art criticism--too much talking about art by people who can't make it, usually. But this book goes far beyond the usual artspeak to say real and important things about the artists and writers represented here and about their work. The title essay is a smart and evocative meditation not just on its subject, the painter David Salle, but on the absurdly difficult process of trying to capture the essence of a person in words. Together the 41 "false starts" make a complet ...more
Kristina Pasko
I don't think I could call Malcolm one of my favorite writers (this is the first book of hers that I've read), and I don't really like her style (humorless, matter-of-fact, a bit bland) but it was a good exercise to see good literary (and art) criticism meant for popular consumption. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about Vanessa Bell (Virginia Woolf's sister).
GONZA
May 13, 2015 GONZA rated it liked it
It was an interesting and well written book, but many of the people whom the author writes about were to me totally unknown, pity, but now I have a long list of book to read and pictures to look at.

È stato un libro interessante e ben scritto, peccato che non conoscessi parecchie delle persone descritte dall'autrice, comunque ora ho una nuova lunga lista di libri da leggere e quadri e foto da vedere.
Melita
Aug 21, 2016 Melita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet Malcolm is such an excellent writer. I read this book while in New York and it really helped me understand, and deal with the lunacy, of the New York art scene.
Rj
Feb 16, 2014 Rj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Malcolm's short essays on art, artists, literature and film. A talented journalist and writer, her work is a pleasure to read.
Yaaresse
Jul 29, 2016 Yaaresse marked it as abandoned-dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF.
I guess I only need one false start to decide this wasn't for me. I got through about 25 pages and was just plain bored.
Miranda
Malcolm is a brilliant writer, and these essays were fascinating--until I got to the last quarter of the book, when things started to feel repetitive and I lost interest. Might be best not to read this book all the way through but instead to dip in.
Caroline
Dec 30, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Malcolm, who can't stop writing about how much she loves Anna Karenina's dreams.
BW Diederich
Feb 01, 2015 BW Diederich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was so much to love here. I think she skewers both directions so well.
Sung-Hee Pak
Feb 10, 2016 Sung-Hee Pak rated it it was ok
It's on Gwen Ifill's Summer Reading List for 2013.
Faith McLellan
Aug 08, 2013 Faith McLellan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writers, nonfiction, art
Janet Malcolm is a genius. Her gifts are on full, and often chilling, display here. Full of erudition, razor-sharp judgments, icy observations. Learned and scary and admirable. Would not want to be on her bad side. Agree with other readers that the last two "chapters" are disastrous additions--are there any editors left? The chapter on Bloomsbury perhaps the best. I have read this collection over a day or so and feel as if run over by a truck--in a good way.
Paul Wilner
Jun 16, 2013 Paul Wilner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Salinger piece is wonderful, and feisty, with several well-chosen ripostes in the direction of his detractors )Malcolm's specialty, in her gentlewoman's way) and the Virginia Woolf and Ingrid Sischy pieces are also delightful. (banal word, just read them and you will see, the Woolf thing in particular is just amazing, particularly acute in the way she dissects the relationship between Virginia and Vanessa).
Trina
Mar 14, 2014 Trina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet Malcolm is just SO SMART. And her essays, most of which have been published before in the New Yorker, but maybe not all of them, are quite diverse in both subject and writing style. These range from David Salle to Hilaire Belocq and everywhere in between. I read it in fits and starts, an essay here, another one a week later. Absolutely fascinating.
  • Susan Sontag: Essays of the 1960s & 70s
  • My Poets
  • The Faraway Nearby
  • Distant Reading
  • Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists
  • I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts: Drive-by Essays on American Dread, American Dreams
  • Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece
  • A Reader on Reading
  • How to Read a Novelist
  • The Kraus Project: Essays by Karl Kraus
  • The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning
  • Higher Gossip: Essays and Criticism
Janet Malcolm is a journalist, biographer, collagist, and staff writer at The New Yorker. She is the author of In the Freud Archives and The Crime of Sheila McGough , as well as biographies of Gertrude Stein, Sylvia Plath, and Anton Chekhov.

The Modern Library chose her controversial book The Journalist and the Murderer — with its infamous first line — as one of the 100 best non-fiction
More about Janet Malcolm...

“In the common perception, there is something unseemly about young people getting rich. Getting rich is supposed to be the reward for hard work, preferably arriving when you are too old to enjoy it. And the spectacle of young millionaires who made their bundle not from business or crime but from avant-garde art is particularly offensive. The avant-garde is supposed to be the conscience of the culture, not its id.” 2 likes
“Every amateur harbors the fantasy that his work is only waiting to be discovered; a second fantasy-that the established contemporary artists must also be frauds- is a necessary corollary” 2 likes