Start by marking “Operation Red Wings: The Rescue Story Behind Lone Survivor” as Want to Read:
Operation Red Wings: The Rescue Story Behind Lone Survivor

Operation Red Wings: The Rescue Story Behind Lone Survivor

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  393 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Marcus Luttrell's blockbuster bestseller, Lone Survivor—soon to be a major motion picturetells the story of Operation Red Wings, in which four U.S. Navy SEALs were inserted into the mountains of eastern Afghanistan with the task of collecting intelligence and finding—or killing—a top al Qaeda commander. The SEALs were ambushed by over one hundred Taliban fighters and a ho ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Operation Red Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Red Wings

Mark
Mar 14, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
This short read (60 pages) details the 'other' side of the story told by Marcus Luttrell in Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.

While Marcus tells the story of events on the mountain, Peter Nealen describes the search, rescue, and recovery operations that occurred in parallel with the Lone Survivor narrative.

If you started to read Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10, or you saw
William Van der Ven
Concise and to the Point

Concise and to the Point

A definitive background review of the ill fated rescue operation that took place in Afghanistan, when a SEAL Team was compromised, three of it's four members killed, and the fourth granted hospitality and protection by the village leader and his sons. Although the operation and it's failure was poignantly described in the book Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell, the subsequent rescue mission was only briefly mentioned. Operation Redwing fills that g
Ben Cooper
Quick read, but unanswered questions remain

I purchased this book after reading the reviews. It was a quick read, and I, too, was left with more unanswered questions. There was some terminology that I was not familiar with as I was not in the military. I wish there was a map of the area to help explain some of the recovery based of the locations talked about in the book. I am happy that I read more about the recovery efforts not mentioned in Luttrell's book, but I am disappointed there was not mo
Jon
Jan 12, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
Short book, a recap of the rescue and recovery efforts, to bring home the remains of the three Navy SEALS killed, and the one survivor, of Operation Red Wings. Takes up where 'Lone Survivor' left off. Tremendous story of total effort by members of the Navy, the Army and the US Air Force. "Leave no one behind".

As a local side note, the PJ, Air Force member Joshua E. Appel, who directly helped get SEAL Marcus Lutrell off the mountain in Afghanistan, is now a civilian, and the Medical Director, Adu
Jason
Feb 24, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Fast Read

After reading Lone Survivor I bought this book. It wasn't until after watching the movie did I remember that I never read this account of the story. SOFREP and Brandon Webb always put out good behind the scene stories. I really liked this book because it gives me a look at what happened behind the scenes with the rescue attempt. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed reading Lone Survivor and watching the movie.
Richard Eldridge
Aug 07, 2014 Richard Eldridge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! a bunch of technical data, intelligible to only those who get their jollies from reading repair manuals. If you are not a Seal, you will probably find this booooring, as I did. The author thinks he is presenting proof of another first person narrative. After about twelve pages of this, I no longer gave a damn about the Lone Survivor story. Afghanistan was a huge waste of time and money.
Wendy Hart
Jul 16, 2014 Wendy Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

Informative

I found that this book to fit well in conclusion to both the book and movie by Marcus, it provided a broader view of behind-the-scenes and what happened in regards to the retrieval of the bodies of remaining seals and other military personnel.
Roger D. Earl
May 10, 2015 Roger D. Earl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story of a wartime recovery

This is a much more descriptive report of a mission to recover Navy Seals right from under the Taliban enemy fighters. If you like to study military maneuvers, you will like this book.

Michael Paro
Oct 07, 2014 Michael Paro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CLOSURE

this gave me a more in-depth viewing of what took place after the action stopped.

I salute those who took part in operation red wing
Scott Seggerman
Red Wings

Very good read. Put a timeline of events together before I started to read about it. I loved that this was put out.
Alexandre Zulato
Dec 19, 2013 Alexandre Zulato rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-memoir-usa
Though there is no great amount of new data for those who have read Lone Survivor and Victory Point, and watched the documentary The Taliban Gambit - Helicopter Missions, it does bring in a few bits and pieces that help us put the puzzle together, either by contrast to or by confirmation of other accounts. It is a slim package, a short but very interesting narrative. I'd definetely recommend it as both a refreshment/fine tunning to the afficionado and as a nice, brief companion to those who want ...more
Nissa Atkinson
Jul 01, 2014 Nissa Atkinson rated it really liked it
A quick read that was informative. It is a sad story but I need to read it as a follow up to Lone Survivor.
Mar 08, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Great companion to Lone Survivor. Incredible story about REAL heroes.
llemmon
Really great and an awesome book to go with Lone Survivor

Although a pretty short book, if you have read Lone Survivor, you must read this also! Great book to SOFREP!
Kent
Jan 14, 2014 Kent rated it it was amazing
I read this after seeing the movie. This details the rescue/recovery.
Ever Espinooza
Ever Espinooza marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Laurence Sr.
Laurence Sr. rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
loranzy mccubbins
loranzy mccubbins rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Steve Wood
Steve Wood rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
James Hanson
James Hanson is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Randy Dickens II
Randy Dickens II marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
karl f hehl jr
karl f hehl jr rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Marshall Malinowski
Marshall Malinowski rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
merle
merle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Rachel Hurst
Rachel Hurst marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
United States Mil...: Operation Red Wings 5 12 Jan 18, 2014 01:37PM
  • Benghazi: The Definitive Report
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • No Room for Error: The Covert Operations of America's Special Tactics Units from Iran To Afghanistan
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare
  • Service - Free Preview: A Navy SEAL at War
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty
  • Fire Base Illingworth: An Epic True Story of Remarkable Courage Against Staggering Odds
  • Navy SEAL Sniper: An Intimate Look at the Sniper of the 21st Century
  • The Village
  • Task Force Black
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units
  • Chasing Ghosts: Failures and Facades in Iraq: A Soldier's Perspective
  • Drone Warfare: Killing By Remote Control
Peter Nealen is a former Recon Marine, a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, and something of an aspiring renaissance man (emphasis on aspiring). He has long been a reader of history, philosophy, folklore, science fiction, and fantasy, and is the author of the American Praetorians series of paramilitary thrillers as well as the Jed Horn series of supernatural thrillers.
More about Peter Nealen...