Start by marking “Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus, #3)

Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus #3)

Paris, 1933. A refugee with no papers, no legal status, and few resources, Willi Kraus lives in fear of deportation back to Nazi Germany. His reputation as a top sleuth however precedes him, and he's soon enlisted to work as a private eye—if under shady circumstances. Despite his apparent good fortune he finds himself a stranger in a very strange land. France is gripped by ...more
Published February 18th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood of Fear

Andrea
Mar 01, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did not seem as focused as the two earlier ones in the series. The setting in Paris and the nature of the crimes were not as interesting as the Berlin books and the author did not seem as interested in the subject. The plot was a little strained. Still - Grossman is a good writer and the book is worth reading.
Hoping the next book will return to form.
Richard
Aug 01, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in pre-WWII Paris, Detective Willi Kraus has had to flee his beloved Berlin, leaving everything behind. In Paris, he re-joins his late wife's parents and sister, and his own two sons, to try to make a new life. But without the needed documentation or legal status, how can he find the work needed to support himself, and to have his boys live with him again? Without these papers, Willi lives in constant fear of deportation back to Nazi Germany.

His reputation is known even in Paris, and soon h
Judie
Mar 12, 2014 Judie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about the Brotherhood of Fear was the setting in France, mainly Paris and the many twists and turns that took place throughout the book. The ending is logical and not contrived and the story kept me interested throughout. Mr. Grossman obviously did a lot of research concerning France in the 1930's.

What I didn't like and really take exception to is the French used - it isn't French - it's just French words thrown together that have no meaning. Using a foreign language doesn't mean th
Kay
Jun 29, 2014 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one to pounce on typos and errors, but the publisher should be ashamed of himself. There were so many mistakes that I had to force myself to finish.

They run the gamut from spelling errors ("Now he was faced with something almost as dreadul" on p. 95) to sentences that make no sense ("A framed license was on one wall, until a battered filing cabinet and old wooden desk, a small pile of papers and a framed photo of his wife on it, her features surprisingly fine.")
Then there's the "car with
CartoonistAndre
The first two books were engrossing and well paced throughout. However, although this novel started out with a suspenseful premise it hit a lull midway that continued for too long and turned into more of a daytime drama than the mystery and suspense I'd enjoyed in the previous stories. It seemed more like the Ya-ya sisterhood than the Brotherhood of Fear. The ending accelerated somewhat but left me unsatisfied. I will give his fourth novel a read but I'm not as enthused as I was after reading Th ...more
Gram
Jul 07, 2016 Gram rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed the 1st two Willi Kraus novels and was looking forward to this one, but somehow it didn't hold my attention and I found myself skipping pages. The historical background is as good as ever and Paul Grossman has obviously done his research of Paris in the 1930's well. But the story was convoluted and too many characters seem to appear briefly and vanish (or die!) soon afterwards. Perhaps because the main story involved high finance, the action didn't seem as compelling.
G Hodges
Jul 18, 2014 G Hodges rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It is not the best way to start a series, but I came into this one with this, the third book. It is a pretty good noir, if occasionally overwrought.
Joshua France
Mar 17, 2015 Joshua France rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
This just didn't have the same feeling as the others. The story telling was jumpy which was hard to follow at times because the reader is never sure if the conversation is over or not.
Jackie R
I thought this interesting but it lacked a bibliography or acknowledgement so I could decide if I wanted to read any of his historical sources and determine how accurate his facts were.
Anna Rathkopf
Anna Rathkopf rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Kathleen Gallagher
Kathleen Gallagher rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2014
Julian Day
Julian Day rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Carol Kurtz
Carol Kurtz rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Heather Shaw
Heather Shaw rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Alibrarian
Alibrarian rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Sallyanne Chier
Sallyanne Chier rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Mariana
Mariana rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Rebecca Henderson Palmer
Rebecca Henderson Palmer rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Tim Martin
excellent-just as good as the first two books-one of my favorite authors
Matthew Schultz
Matthew Schultz rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2016
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Grossman is the critically acclaimed author of two novels, with a third on the way. The Sleepwalkers, was published in 2010. His second, Children of Wrath released in February, 2012. He is also a long-time teacher of writing and literature at the City University of New York. His works have been translated into German, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew and Portuguese.
More about Paul Grossman...

Willi Kraus (3 books)
  • The Sleepwalkers (Willi Kraus, #1)
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)