The Storyteller and his Three Daughters

The Storyteller and his Three Daughters

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From the internationally bestselling author of the TALES OF THE OTORI, comes a tale of families, love, intrigue and betrayal.

TOKYO 1884

Sei has devoted his life to storytelling, captivating audiences with his tales. But now he is starting to wonder if the new world has left him behind.

Just when he thinks he will never write again, his own life and the lives of the people ar...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Hachette Australia

Kate Forsyth
Lian Hearn is the author of the gorgeous bestselling ‘Tales of the Otori’ fantasy series for adults, set in an alternative feudal Japan, as well as a number of children’s books published under her true name, Gillian Rubenstein. The first book in the Otori series, ‘Across the Nightingale Floor’ is one of my favourite novels, the medieval Japanese setting being utterly fresh and fascinating.

‘The Storyteller and His Three Daughters’ is a departure from her other Lian Hearn books in many ways. The s...more
Rhiannon
Overall, I liked this book. I always like Hearn's writing style but this book deviated from her usual voice. I read this book in one sitting, it was engaging and sparked my imagination.
I loved the narrator's perspective, it was really interesting to see everything through the eyes of a storyteller. The plot was a bit jumpy but could be overlooked because of the creative characterisation.
Karly
Set in Japan in late 1800, this novel follows the life of Sei and his struggles to compete artistically against the increasingly pervasive Western influences on the traditional stories that Sei knows and loves to perform. Presented as a story within a story, the unique voice of the novel combines history with entertainment, and comments on the nature of storytelling, creativity and life.
This is the first novel I have read by Lian Hearn and I must say, I really enjoyed it. It was so different to...more
Eleni
This is one of those stories you could devour in a day, however I wanted to savour this story so read it over a few. The story follows Sei, a down on his luck, uninspired story teller master, who recounts his familial disputes and documents his life during a period of unrest in a rapidly Westernising Japan.

The writing in this felt very natural to me, and I was easily able to settle in to the role of Sei, and be able to view his family and live his life very easily. The title of this book threw...more
Jenny
Oct 16, 2013 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: asian
absolutely loved it, wished it could have gone on for much longer, Lian Hearn is one of my favourite authors and never ceases to amaze me with her abilities
Thoraiya
I loved this book. Your ability to enjoy may depend on your tolerance for writers writing about writing!
Jonathan
Interesting read with great characters and better handled historical context (than Blossoms and Shadows). A story from an outsiders perspective however, reduces emotional involvement, which is what made the Tales of the Otori series so special.
Nikki
This not typically a book that I would have bought myself but I am so incredibly glad that Sarah Forster bought it for me. Wow what a fantastic book. I loved the translated feel of the language and the complex story line that was written in a deceptively simply way. It is an excellent book and I loved reading it.
Leah
I liked it. Interesting style and setting, if slightly contrived plot. Made me want to read more of her books.
Trish
bit slow a bit confusing with all the names started to warm up when there was talk about the conflict between Japan and Korea and that part of the story would have made a much better story development. There are some cultural things that the story does talk about that renders further investigation and could do some research on the relationship between Japan and Korea in the late 1800 particularly in relation to Japan's involvement leading up to the second world war. The writing style and express...more
Moffatleone
Wonderful prose, fabulous story - loved every minute of it.
Anna
What a wonderful book!
Kim
Okay, easy to read but got lost with all the names. Not a book I was dying to get back to, but nice stories. ?!?
Peree Watson
I love literature based in Japan! Great read
Jennifer Rolfe
Not the nail-biting saga of the Otori sequence but very quirky in Hearn's style. I loved the play of stories across cultures.
Kelly Callaghan
I enjoyed this book. Written quite simply it covered a wide range of issues.
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Stephanie Bone
Stephanie Bone marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Amy Gordon
Amy Gordon marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Jul 23, 2014
Kate Tunstill
Kate Tunstill marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jaomi
Jaomi marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Cikee Ness
Cikee Ness marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Atticcreationz
Atticcreationz marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4) Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0)