Start by marking “Stormy's Hat: Just Right for a Railroad Man” as Want to Read:
Stormy's Hat: Just Right for a Railroad Man

Stormy's Hat: Just Right for a Railroad Man

Stormy Kromer is an engineer who loves driving trains. But he has one problem: he can’t find the right hat for a railroad man. He tries a derby, a cowboy hat, and a fireman’s hat. Nothing works. Stormy tells his wife, Ida, not to worry, he’ll figure out something. But Ida isn’t worrying—she’s thinking. If only Stormy would listen . . .

Brought to life by Andrea U’Ren’s colo
Published April 29th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Stormy's Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormy's Hat

Ina
Dec 12, 2013 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This wonderful book is based on the true story of George "Stormy" Kromer and his wife Ida who created the original railroad engineer's cap in 1903 - the same cap worn today, over one hundred years later, by railroad workers everywhere. My story time audience loved all of Stormy's attempts to find a hat that was just right for a railroad man…fedora, pressman's hat, cowboy hat, firefighter's helmet…nothing worked. With each failed hat, Ida tries to make a suggestion, to which Stormy replies, "don' ...more
Eva Leger
Nov 11, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
I think there has to be a large group of people out there that would look at the subject of the book and think it's not for them. Or for their child. For instance, besides a passing interest in trains my daughter couldn't care any less about engineers, railroads tracks and the like. But, for some reason, I didn't let the 'Just Right for a Railroad Man' stop me from getting this.
I'm happy I didn't because both of us enjoyed this story. The parts we liked were different yes, but we both liked it.
Cassandra
Sep 10, 2008 Cassandra rated it really liked it
The story and illustrations of this book are both great. It is about a man who was a train engineer. He could never seem to find a hat that would work for him, so throughout the book, he tried different hats suggested to him by his friend. He would complain to his wife about his hats, but would never listen to her idea for the perfect hat. Finally, she gets him to describe the perfect hat which she drew and then made for him. All of his friends on the railroad wanted a hat just like his. At the ...more
Miranda
Apr 22, 2010 Miranda rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's a well-written, funny account based on the true story of the creation of the classic engineer's cap. The engineer, Stormy, keeps dismissing his wife Ida's offer to help him with his hat problem. I love it that Ida doesn't just quietly turn out to know best, but actually tells Stormy off for not taking her seriously! It was great to read with my almost-5-year-old son and talk a little about how girls can have just as good ideas as boys can; I think it would be equally good ...more
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it
We read this way back when my son was a bitty thing, and he mostly was interested in trains. We read it again when he was six, and I wish I had a photo of the look on his face when railroad man Stormy started dismissing his wife Ida's attempts to help him find the perfect hat. My kiddo shook his head when it happened a second time, and said "No!" out loud, like he was trying to give poor Stormy some advice. He was delighted when Ida finally put her foot down and equally delighted when Stormy apo ...more
Lois V.
Jan 14, 2013 Lois V. rated it really liked it
Master storyteller Eric Kimmel tells the true story about the hat used by railroad workers today. It was created in 1903 by the wife of Stormy Kromer, a locomotive engineer. Ignoring Ida, Stormy tested his friends various hats. None worked. Ida sketched and made her hat. It was such a success, the couple opened a railroad workers hat factory. Wonderful illustrations, fun language, plenty of action, and a simple Author's Note, make for a good story for children.
Becca
Nov 15, 2011 Becca rated it liked it
While reshelving books at the public library, I ran across this book and was drawn to it by the picture on the cover. When I glanced through it I saw that it was about a railroading man. Since my grandfather was a railroad engineer, during my break I curled up in the big overstuffed chair in the children's corner and read this tale of how the traditional striped cloth hats railroaders wear were created. I still have one that my beloved grandpa wore.
Amy Brown
Jun 15, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
This is a picture book based on an original story about Stormy Kromer, a railroad engineer, who really needed a good hat but everything he tried didn't work until his wife came up with something really special.
Paula
The real story on how the railmans blue cap came in existence. Stormy is an engineer who rides a locomotive he tries different hats but none of them work. Until Ida his wife comes up with a great design.
The Library Lady
May 21, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
It's a nice telling of a true story. The little "Thomas" maniacs may or may not like it--not enough "choo-choo" action in it. But older kids will enjoy it.
David
Apr 07, 2013 David rated it liked it
Good history, even is Stormy is annoyingly frustrating. Some of the words are a little big for kids, but they're good for teaching new vocabulary.
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
May 08, 2008
Jayanne
Jayanne rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Madeleine Stubbs
Madeleine Stubbs rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Darcie Cooper
Darcie Cooper rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Dylan McHenry
Dylan McHenry rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Kelsey Rippe
Kelsey Rippe rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Lupine
Lupine rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Sarah Ashburn
Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Rozeru
Rozeru rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2017
Leia-Catherine
Leia-Catherine rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Nicki
Nicki rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Taylor Garr
Taylor Garr rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
May 07, 2008
Will Liu
Will Liu rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...