Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)

Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,081 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Grace Valley is overflowing with gossip--in particular, they are whispering over who might be the father of pregnant town doctor June Hudson's child. But despite their meddlesome nature, the whole community pulls together and shows what they are made of when danger threatens.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Down by the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down by the River

Brenda (b)
A wonderful ending to the Grace Valley Trilogy. I loved this book - and the whole series. I can't seem to gush too much about these books, can I? Jim finally becomes a permanent resident of Grace Valley. Many old friends put in appearances, we learn more about everyone and a new face or two arrive too. The last 30 or so pages had me in tears as the town comes together and offers each other so much optimism and support. I would love to be a part of a community like this one. I was sad to see the...more
Isis FG
Another solid story from Carr. This book is very similar to the other Grace Valley books, and if you liked them, then you'll most likely like this one.

Series Note:
Third and final book in the Grace Valley trilogy...which should really be read in order. This trilogy is loosely connected to the Virgin River series.

Summary:
For local town doctor June Hudson, things in her life are coming together with the return of her secret lover, now retired undercover agent Jim Post. After learning June was expec...more
Michele bookloverforever
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did Ms.Carr's Virgin River series. The characters are well drawn. and sympathetic. As usual she assembles quite a cast of characters and several interesting plot points but it feels like this was her apprenticeship and she was still polishing her skills. It was ok but not great. Enjoyable, but not as satisfying as her Virgin River stories..
Mom
It was okay, but I was just glad it was finished. I wanted to know what happened, but, was not excited about getting through it.

June Hudson is the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks -- and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley.

Expecting the unexpected is a way of life...more
Pam
Down By the River is book 3 in the Grace Valley trilogy by Robin Carr. I didn’t think a third book would keep my attention as well as the first two. I was pleasantly surprised; but the third book is as good as the first.
It is difficult in Grace Valley for anyone to have a secret for long. However, June Hudson has managed to keep her lover, Jim Post, a secret for a while. Now it is going to come out; but how will the town react to June’s being pregnant with no husband? When Jim does return to Gr...more
JoAnne
This is the last in the Grace Valley Trilogy. June and Jim are finally together. The town knows. They all want to know how and why. Jim wants to get married but June wants to make very sure that he is the one. Myrna has had a secret love too. She has been writing letters to Edward for 20 years. He is coming on Thanksgiving to see her. the town has a new pastor but he also has a secret. Chris and Nancy are having financial problems - among the many they have - since both of the boys are healing f...more
Sue
Fantastic ending Jim and June's book really and all I can say is it was worth the wait. Got teary eyed several times that should be telling. Truly a village made this trilogy work.
Deb
This the final book in the Grace Valley trilogy. Dr. June Hudson's pregnant, and the big question is whether or not she'll get married. Myrna Claypool is about to meet the man with whom she's been corresponding for twenty years. Another down-on-their-luck family moves into Grace Valley, and the Presbyterian church has a new pastor with a secret. All of the storylines are satisfactorily wrapped up in this installment, and we finally get the answer to what happened to Morton Claypool. It's been a...more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
This installment is the end of the Green Valley trilogy where Jim finally comes to live with Doctor June and his appearance shocks the town and gives them plenty of fodder for the small town gossip mill. Caring, capable and presumed spinster June Hudson can no longer keep her relationship with retired DEA agent Jim Post secret - her pregnancy is showing and he's more than ready to be a husband and father.
All of my issues with this read really boils down to one issue, the town is much too perfec...more
Suzanne Barrett
Down By the River is the third book in Robyn Carr’s Grace Valley trilogy and is primarily a continuation of the events featuring the characters in books one and two.

June’s lover, Jim Post, has retired from his DEA job and returns to Grace Valley to live with June and their forthcoming child and learns that pregnant women are subject to mood swings.

June, used to working all hours, doing everything, learns she must delegate, and she finds this hard to do.

Aunt Myrna has been corresponding with anot...more
Angela Lynn Holland
Why I Read This Book: I read this book for two reasons, first I am a Robyn Carr fan and have read this entire series and second I read this with some of the Novel Ladies.

What I liked: I liked reading about the small town and all the residents. I also enjoyed how the people in the book felt real, this could be a town you live in or have traveled thru.

What I didn't Liked: The ending of the book because I felt like I was moving away from my friends and would never see them again. I wanted this boo...more
Missmarple
This book completes the Grace Valley Series and has Dr. June adjusting to being pregnant, living with her ex-DEA agent boyfriend Jim Post, and deciding on when and whether to marry him. She also develops a friendship with her high school boyfriend's wife and helps her aunt with a visit from her writer pen-pal. There is excitement from a pending flood. This book was a good ending to the trilogy!
Rochelle
aw, I wanted to love this book, and I wanted to love the Grace Valley series. It just wasn't quite there.
Jim is magnificent! He is always there for June, for the town, and he gives and gives and, for the most part, gets little back. And he doesn't complain! And he cooks, and cleans. And there's no way he's real. I like do it all guys, Jack, from Virgin River is amazing, but has a few faults, and is a little more real.
Maybe I'm just too negative, but I don't see how the town would completely look...more
Emily Higgins
Dr. June Hudson is expecting a baby. Fortunately, the baby's father, former DEA agent Jim Post, has retired from his job and moved to Grace Valley. Jim has his hands full convincing June that they should get married. In no time at all, Jim is busy becoming acquainted with and involved with the people of Grave Valley. Delightful story.
penelopewanders
Unfortunately this seems to be the last in this trilogy... I do have a different series (Thunder Point?) by Carr to begin, so all is not lost. Fun stories, a sort of almost too good to be true kind of community despite all the many foibles of the characters. Read this on holiday and getting ready to send to a bookcrossing/ERTG/Goodreads group friend.
Linda
A wonderful ending to the Grace Valley Trilogy. June faced the town with her pregnancy and introduced them to Jim. It was important to June that she and Jim get to know each other before they marry but the town and especially her Father disagreed. Robyn Carr is such a great storyteller that you will enjoy every page of this book
Michele
I like Robyn Carr a lot. Her books are very easy to read and her characters are very colorful. This book is about June Hudson, a small-town doctor in the northwest, who finally decides to marry Jim Post, a retired DEA agent. Good thing, since she's already 4 months pregnant.
Phyllis
I liked this third and final book in the Grace Valley Trilogy. It is a continuation into the lives of the previous characters in book 1 and book 2. Therefore the books should be read in order. By the time I got done with this book I felt like I had known the characters for a long time. I was able to picture them all in my head. It was so nice to see how they interacted with each other in a small town. I did not grow up in a small town where you know everyone so I was asking myself in the end if...more
Krissie
Love this series! Grace Valley is overflowing with gossip--in particular, they are whispering over who might be the father of pregnant town doctor June Hudson's child.
evelyn hamblin
Great read

Great read

keep my attention thru the entire book I would recommend this book to all I can not wait to read the next
Anneka
Awww, what a sappy ending! So much happened in this book; so many new characters but so loved and now a part of the town. Despite the hardships and many difficulties, it had a happy ending. Sad it was only a trilogy and that the series is over.
Mary K. Combs
A very good book.

I fell in love with Elmer, I was so happy for June and Jim. Thanks Robyn for another good story.
Diane Walters
The author was consistent throughout all three books in the trilogy. I enjoyed them all. Fun and easy to listen to (audio.)
Mary
The final book in the Grace Valley trilogy. I enjoyed all three books. Therese Plummer did a great job with the narration.
Lita Bouquard
Grace Valley has it all. Drama, romance, mysteries, and vices. I won't tell which characters are involved but this was so enjoyable. I am upset that Robyn Carr started Virgin River and abandoned The Grace Valley crew. I read these after Virgin River so I don't know if Ricky has a story, what happens to Leah, Clarence, Jessie and the others. I will now have to reread the Virgin River books again for mention of the characters I have come to care for. What about Sam? Is he meant to be a good samari...more
Joy
June is remarkably crabby for a woman who has been joined by the love of her life. But pregnancy will do that to you. Jim is helping not only June but other members of the community, a neighborly pebble whose rings spread out into the whole community. They also have a new pastor -- a beloved man with secrets. Eventually everyone is pitching in to help everyone else, and it makes a heartwarming read. Oh, and we finally solve the problem of Aunt Myra's husband, to my pleasure. Sadly, this is the l...more
Jeanie Harper
This was a great finale to this series. I laughed a lot - thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lea
Last in the trilogy. I enjoyed the back to back to back series, where one picked up without any time passing. It is really like one large novel, in three sections. This was filled with the same great characters and a more in depth look into some of their lives. Domestic abuse is a reoccurring theme in the series. The reluctance by June to want to marry Jim was a little off putting and how it ended was a little like summing it up because you ran out of pages. Good series and I will be passing it...more
Kathrynn
Book #3 in the Grace Valley trilogy. This series must be read in order as each book further develops the lives of the main and supporting characters.

I thought this one was abit dull and was tired of June and Jim trying to decide on marriage or not. Just didn't seem to fit that she started off lonely, wanting a life other than her career, gets one, then is undecided. Seemed like a lot of useless energy placed on trying to figure out "what to do" when...the cake was already baking in the oven. If...more
Orla
loved the end to this trilogy.
  • That Holiday Feeling (Includes: Virgin River, #8 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2)
  • A Fool's Gold Christmas (Fool's Gold, #9.5)
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)

“Do you agree with that About saying 'forever' and being sure? I do. Will you tell me when you think you're there? Sure. Good. June? Yes? I'm there. You go ahead and take your time.” 9 likes