Start by marking “The Cemetery Boys” as Want to Read:
The Cemetery Boys

The Cemetery Boys

3.27  ·  Rating Details ·  1,320 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
When Stephen is forced to move back to the nowhere town where his father grew up, he’s already sure he’s not going to like it. Spencer, Michigan, is like a town straight out of a Hitchcock movie, with old-fashioned people who see things only in black-and-white. But things start looking up when Stephen meets the mysterious twins Cara and Devon. They’re total punks–hardly th ...more
Published March 30th 2015 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Cemetery Boys, please sign up.

Dreamingintherain I believe so, I haven't heard anything about a sequel and there's definitely a conclusion of the story at the end.

Lindsay Cummings
Feb 15, 2015 Lindsay Cummings rated it it was amazing
finished in 1 day! deliciously twisted!
Taylor Knight
Jan 21, 2015 Taylor Knight rated it liked it
Super weird but I liked it. It was kind of slow most of the time but the writing style was really great.
I wish there was a little more detail and excitement but I had no idea of what to expect for
this book so I'm not really disappointed.
I read it in one setting and I'm glad that I did because I think I would have been a little bored if I had read this over a few days.
I did really like the concept and writing so I'll probably check out the author's other books soon.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
When I began reading "The Cemetery Boys" it had a "Lost Boys" / "Mothman Prophecies" vibe. I was intrigued.

Stephen is a teen who has been uprooted from his home,due to his Mother's mounting hospital bills. Stephen and his Father arrive in Spencer,to live with his grandmother.
I am going to speed this up a bit....town is odd...New boy meets goth girl= instalove...New boy meets goth girl's creepy brother and his graveyard dwelling gang...joins ghoulish sociopaths...townies start going all "Wickerma
Melissa Chung
Mar 01, 2015 Melissa Chung rated it it was ok
There are just some books that leave me so pissed off I can't speak.

This book is about a boy named Stephen who has to move to a small town called Spencer. In this town the people are superstitious and wary of new comers. Stephen's father is from Spencer, but as soon as he could he got out.

Stephen is a selfish brat in my opinion. His mother is in a mental institution and he resents her because she got "crazy" and ruined his life. He resents his father for moving him from his hometown of Denver, C
Cait (Paper Fury)
Whyyyy is it that the most fabulous-looking books always make me cry softly with despair?! Basically: I cried softly with despair. SO MANY EXPECTATIONS. It sounded like an awesome rehash of The Graveyard Book with some horror, plus (I was hoping foolishly) maybe some The Raven Boys because of OBVIOUS title relations. Yeah....no. It's basically a contemporary about a moody teenager with about 30% actually being about the scary things lurking in the cemetery. It did have ONE plot twist that surpri ...more
Mitch
Apr 01, 2015 Mitch rated it it was ok

“I’ll have a Mountain D—”
“Everyone! You’re gonna burn. You’re all gonna burn!”

That about summarizes my experience with this. The chapters are short and kind of underdeveloped and mostly involve either [1] hanging out around town or [2] people yelling "YOU'RE GONNA BURN" (in capital letters no less) in the most random places (to make sure the reader hasn't fallen into a coma from reading [1]?).

It's only 19 chapters in total too, so there really wasn't enough room to flesh out the main players
Lisa Mandina
Aug 20, 2014 Lisa Mandina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Thanks to Goodreads First Reads I now own an ARC of this book! And thanks to HarperTeen and Edelweiss for allowing me to read an e-galley of this title. I have to say that I am one of the biggest fans of Heather Brewer, and consider myself to belong to her minion horde. I've met her several times, and plan to meet her again any time she is in my town or at some event where I'm at. She's such a great voice for young people, and her stories are all very good! Okay, I'm not very good at gushing I g ...more
Stacee
Oh this was fantastic. A very interesting premise with creepy atmosphere that only Heather could conjure up.

I'm always amused at how authentic her male MCs sound. It was a lot of fun being Stephen's head, especially when he was interacting with Cara. The dynamic between Devon and the other boys is interesting and there were some amazing twists that I didn't see coming.

As always, Auntie Heather gave us a fun, spooky read.

**Huge thanks to The Bookcase for sending me the arc**
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to HarperCollins & Edelweiss

------------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Single (Stephen)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: Spencer, Michigan
Genre: Young Adult | Thriller/Horror
------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual Rating: 3.5

I still have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I know that I loved the horror and the weird cult stuff in this book, while on the other, it felt a little off somehow. T
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Sep 14, 2015 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it liked it
That was...weird. But enjoyable. I stayed up late reading this one because I couldn't put it down. The ending really surprised me, which is always fun. I wanted a Halloween story and that's exactly what this book delivers. It wasn't perfect, and I had some issues with a few things, but for a quick spooky tale I would definitely recommend this one!
Leah
Dec 10, 2014 Leah rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

The story sounded like it had the potential to be a phenomenal read to me, but it wasn’t. I guessed the twist pretty early on, and I wasn’t ever truly invested in Stephen or any of the other characters. Maybe it was because the book is under 300 pages, and there wasn’t enough time to build up a connection with the characters, or maybe the writing didn’t allow for a connection to be made.

Or maybe I wasn’t in the mood to read a book like this. I thought I was, until I started reading it,
Alicia O'Carrick
Apr 13, 2015 Alicia O'Carrick marked it as lost-interest
I'm not going to rate this one, because I barely started it. I'm starting to think that Zac Brewer's writing and I don't correlate very well. Eighth Grade Bites was cute, but when I tried Ninth Grade Slays I discovered I didn't take the series as serious as I thought that I did. This is the second book of his that I've DNFed this week, so I'm guessing it's time to move on.

It has a very strong opening, but it quickly fizzles out, and to be honest I'd rather spend my time reading something I will
Rikke
Oct 19, 2016 Rikke rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars.

I recently watched The Lost Boys again. This story holds a similar vibe. It's what makes it so compelling; the eery small town weirdness. The paranormal beliefs and the superstition. It's really quite great. I definitely enjoyed it a lot. It's not exactly fast paced, though, and you may need some kind of connection to make it stand out. At least, I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much, if it hadn't reminded me one of my favorite childhood movies.
Jon
Check out Bookish Antics for reviews, giveaways and interviews!
Ever since I read Heather Brewer’s The Chronicles Of Vladimir Tod series, I’ve been a hardcore minion and so, I was eager to read The Cemetery Boys. Brewer really knows how to recreate the feel of a small town with a spooky atmosphere and write an awesome YA horror novel. Though I’m not a fan of the romance in this novel and predicted the ending early on, I really enjoyed it.

When Stephen’s dad loses his job, he is forced to take him
Ricky
Auntie Heather's first all-new story in three years was one I was dying to read for a very long time. Seeing it at last, I was far from disappointed - although I was pretty devastated. Between the sad circumstances of Stephen's move to Spencer, and the shocking ending that I totally did not see coming (well, not totally, only 'cause the first major villain is given away in the prologue, but the second, not so much), it's safe to say that this is Auntie Heather's darkest tale yet.

Highlights inclu
Christina Marie
Mar 06, 2015 Christina Marie rated it liked it
I don't think I really enjoyed this one. But... I didn't HATE it. It was really... unbelievable for me. Another read that I'm just not compatible with.

This YA horror follows a young boy named Stephen and his new life with his father in small town Spencer, Michigan. In this town, he meets twins Cara and Devon. Through his newfound relationship with these twins, Stephen learns of a not-so-normal tradition that has permeated the founding history of Spencer. Somehow he gets wrapped up in it. He also
BookLoversLife
I had such high hopes for this but unfortunately I ended up only liking it. I think for this review, I'll list my likes and dislikes. Let's get the dislikes out of the way.

My main problem was that I didn't like any of the characters, not a single one. Stephen is the MC and he was so hard to like. He was so sullen and came across as selfish and mean. I know he is a teen and supposed to be sullen but I just found him to be a trouble maker. I wanted him to have his own mind, but unfortunately he fo
Celine
The Cemetery Boys is my first experience with the writings of Heather Brewer, author of the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series. Although the story didn't hold any surprises for me, I'm interested enough to pick up her other books.

When Stephen's dad loses his job, they are forced to move back to his dad's home town, some weird small town called Spencer. Here he meets Cara, a cute girl, and her brother Devon. Devon and his friends love to hang out at the cemetery. After a while Stephen discovers t
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
I was so intrigued with the concept of The Cemetery Boys, the idea of a town that has it's own folklore, an urban legend that Stephen who has moved to the town of Spencer with his Father gets involves in when he befriends twins Devon and Cara and their friends.

The legend is to be rid of the bad times in the small town a human sacrifice is to be made to the Winged Ones, and the good times shall prevail, the residents of Spencer take this lore seriously, Stephen takes the stories with a grain of s
Me, My Shelf and I
Oct 03, 2014 Me, My Shelf and I rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
The Lost Boys with out vampires. This is how I explained the book to my husband when he asked what I was reading. I thoroughly enjoyed every one of the 288 pages, my only complaint was that this was Heather Brewer's first stand alone, which means that there will be no more tales around the bonfire at the Playground at night. What is there not to like – a small town with secrets, a pair of creepy and polar opposite twins, and a band of misfit boys who seem to live outside the law.

If you love twis
Bookworm007
Sep 18, 2013 Bookworm007 marked it as aint-anywhere-or-out
Glad she's writing a standalone, (by the looks of it), but all I want her to focus on right now is writing more Legacy of Tril!!!!! Only read the 1st book so far and absolutely can NOT get enough of that thrilling universe!!!!!!!!!!

edit on Oct 12th, 2013

Just found out that Soulbroken and the entire Legacy of Tril series is cancelled for possibly forever :(
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 01, 2016 Dark Faerie Tales rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-zed
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: How far would you go for what you believed?

Opening Sentence: We’d left my old house as if we were stealing away in the night.

The Review:

The prologue ruined this story for me. It could have been sooo awesome if I hadn’t read that little snippet at the start of the book. It was like a spoiler that was not required – so infuriating! Otherwise, the Cemetery Boys was a thrilling read. It’s dark, morbid and the perfect story for Friday 13th.

Stephe
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Sep 27, 2014 Christina (Ensconced in Lit) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publisher-sent
I received a copy of this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I've been meaning to read a book by Heather Brewer for a long time now as she is a wonderful St. Louis author, a terrific person, and an important advocate against bullying. When I heard Heather speak about this particular book, a mix of small town small-mindedness plus a bit of horror and paranormal, I thought it was a perfect place to start.

The Cemetery Boys is a combination of Lord of the Flies meets small town horr
Katie
Aug 29, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
The Cemetery Boys was my first Heather Brewer book but if it’s any indication of her talents as a storyteller, it definitely won’t be my last. The Cemetery Boys is an intriguing mix of horror and paranormal and it hooked me from the very start.

I honestly can’t tell you what I expected from The Cemetery Boys. It’s unlike anything I’ve read and the synopsis really didn’t give me a clue what was going to happen. I think that’s the perfect way to go into this one. The prologue and first few chapters
Victoria
May 30, 2015 Victoria rated it it was ok
This is my first experience with Brewer’s writing and I must say that I have rather mixed feelings about this book. Stephen and his dad move in with the grandmother that Stephen has never met in a small Michigan town. It’s evident that the town, much like Stephen’s own family, are going through some bad times. And what’s more, the town seems to have a rather gruesome history with its own mythology of powerful Winged Ones who can bring prosperity but only at a blood price.

While the premise of a
Justin
Jan 29, 2017 Justin rated it it was ok
This was about a 3 star read most of the way through it, then towards the end I realized it was a "bad guy explains everything in the end" book. I personally believe that any novel that the author has to have a character explain everything rather than being able to write it in a way that you slowly piece it together yourself to be poorly written. To make it worse, the explanations where rediculous and eye rolling, and a few felt like cop outs to a part of the mystery that the author didn't know ...more
Vicki Willis
Jan 12, 2016 Vicki Willis rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, z-2016
This was a very young adult story, more like a story for teenagers. And basing it on that, it was good. It took place in small town and followed some teenagers over a summer. There was some teen angst and typical relationship stuff, but it added to the mystery. It wrapped up at the end with one little surprise. A quick, fun read.
Nicole (( lost in the book's world ))
VERY TWIST PLOT! And...I LOVE IT! SO much!

At the beginning, I was like, DUH I know who knock Stephen out. Oblivious, Devon!

BUT...I thought Devon did killed someone and planning to kill Stephen.

I was wrong.

Now I know who. I won't said the name because it will be super spoil. SO...yeah!

It is so TWIST and SICK! But I still love it! Bahaha
Abbie
Gehd. I had my reservations about this book but I didn't expect it to be sooo awesome!
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Nice twist, still doesn't make me like you.
Crazy for Young A...: The Cemetery Boys, by Heather Brewer → Start Date: October 2, 2016 13 13 Oct 09, 2016 08:16PM
Yayyyy 4 36 Jul 18, 2014 10:50AM
  • The Memory Key
  • No Parking at the End Times
  • Twisted Fate
  • Omega City (Omega City, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • How to Win at High School
  • The Cost of All Things
  • After the Red Rain
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Encore to an Empty Room (Exile, #2)
  • Of Monsters and Madness (Of Monsters and Madness, #1)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Finding Paris
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • Amity
  • What Waits in the Woods
Heather Brewer is the pseudonym of Zac Brewer…but you can call him Z.

Zac is the NYT bestselling author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series, as well as The Slayer Chronicles series, Soulbound, The Cemetery Boys, The Blood Between Us, and more short stories than he can recall.

He grew up on a diet of Twilight Zone and books by Stephen King. He chased them down with every drop of horror he could
More about Heather Brewer...

“I swallowed hard. It was my life. And it was my choice how I decided to live it.” 4 likes
“We were the new people here. We weren’t part of their group. We had to prove ourselves.” 1 likes