Start by marking “Absence of Light (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10.5)” as Want to Read:
Absence of Light (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10.5)

Absence of Light (Charlie Fox #10.5)

a Charlie Fox novella

A major earthquake sees ex-Special Forces soldier-turned-bodyguard Charlotte ‘Charlie’ Fox on a transport plane headed for the scene of devastation.

The way things are coming apart at home with Sean Meyer, she welcomes the chance to get away.
Tasked as security advisor to the specialist team at the centre of relief efforts, Charlie knows it won’t be easy
Published September 9th 2013 by Murderati Ink [ZACE Ltd]

To ask other readers questions about Absence of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absence of Light

Diane
Dec 22, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
Nice "taste" of Charlie Fox. This novella was a pretty good read, different subject matter - even for Charlie!

Charlie is sent to investigate the death of a security/body guard during an earthquake and finds herself on everyone's hit list. Good research on Zoe Sharp's part - from rescuing and searching both live and dead and the role of a very smart canine and handler through the rubble of a very devastating quake.

A good mix of characters in this novella - touching on various nationalities and ge
Lesa
Jul 15, 2016 Lesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I look back at my blog, it appears that it's been eight years since I read one of Zoe Sharp's Charlie Fox books. That can't be right because it lists Third Strike. And, I know I read Fifth Victim.

Once you've met Charlie Fox in a book, you'll never forget her. Now, Sharp brings Charlie back in Absence of Light. It reminded me of all the drama, and the determined woman with grit. But, Absence of Light isn't quite as violent as previous books in the series.

Charlie Fox works for Parker Armstro
K, Nz
Sep 12, 2013 K, Nz rated it it was amazing
The author provided me with a copy of the book, in exchange for an honest review. Reading on kindle-for-pc, and Android phone.

50% of the way through 'Absence of Light' have laughed, sat stunned and loved the subtle misdirections and use of language. It's vintage Charlie, and while I haven't been in a massive earthquake myself, I feel there's a genuine homage to those who have. A little like what the author did with 'Die Easy' illustrating some aspects of the effects of Hurricane Katrina - I valu
Gentleman Farmer
Jul 14, 2015 Gentleman Farmer rated it really liked it
Absence of Light is a novella by Zoe Sharp, featuring her protagonist Charlie Fox. In Absence of Light Charlie is providing protection services to a humanitarian search and rescue group, while also investigating possible criminal activity by the organization.

I enjoyed this novella. I really liked the early Charlie Fox novels, but the last few I haven't enjoyed as much... perhaps due to the plot circumstances with Sean Meyer, but I think also some of the things I liked about the first novels hav
Tess Makovesky
May 25, 2014 Tess Makovesky rated it really liked it
I’ve just finished reading a memento of the Crime & Publishment weekend – a collection of Charlie Fox stories by Zoe Sharp. Titled ‘Absence of Light and other Charlie Fox stories’, this is a bundle of one novella, ‘Absence of Light’, one stand-alone short story, ‘Across the Broken Line’, and five other collected short stories.

I enjoyed the book a lot more than I thought I was going to. This is by no means a criticism of Ms Sharp or her writing, simply that the book’s genre is more thriller t
Dolly
Feb 09, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad to read this Charlie Fox novella while waiting for the next book!!

What I liked: I want to be Charlie Fox, most of the time. This is not one of those times. She's taking a job in an earthquake devastated area to find out if the relief team supported by their client is being ripped off. Things start off with a bang as Charlie feels the team is already trying to get rid of her.

There is a lot of mystery in Absence of Light along with some unresolved issues involving Charlie and Sean. I will
Apr 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I loved the setting for this novella and enjoyed seeing a bit of the search and rescue world. The mystery kept me intrigued until the end. I felt that it ended too abruptly and wrapped up too quickly without sufficiently answering some of the questions that a reader was likely to catalogue along the way. I have to confess however, that I mistakenly read this one ahead of the few preceding novels so I might have been more in tune if I read them in the correct order. Regardless, Charlie has become ...more
Gary Van Cott
Feb 26, 2015 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Billed as a novella, this book has the same pacing as the other Charlie Fox stories until it abruptly ends with most but not all of the loose ends tied up in an epilog. Unlike the other books in the series this is set in a mythical city which has suffered a major earthquake. It is not in the US. The one person in the book who is a local speaks English and has an US/English name. It is warm and is an unrefueled C-130 flight from NY.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 08, 2014 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I came across this book in the Thrilling Thirteen box set and read all 13 in order. Thus finding this book as one of my favorite's from the box set and to then go on and easily add this author as to be on my watch list is quite an issue for me.

The story is that good. The characters that engaging, the action packs that much punch and I would love to read more by this author. I most certainly recommend this book to all lovers of the genre.

WaAr
The Cats Mother
Oct 30, 2013 The Cats Mother rated it really liked it
I started this and had to stop immediately as it was too soon after our quakes near Wellington in July & August, so came back to it while away on holiday. It was great to get back to Charlie's story and have her back working on her own. I was a bit frustrated by never being told what country they were in, assuming this would be some big twist reveal, and was unsure about the ending, but otherwise really enjoyed it as usual, can't wait for the next book.
Jackie Baker
Apr 05, 2014 Jackie Baker rated it it was amazing
absence of Light is one of the finest pieces of writing I have ever read. Just enough suspense, just enough drama and compassion. I would love to see Zoe return to these characters once again. I truly enjoy Zoe's command of the language. Wordsmith is an apt description. My only complaint is there is not enough of her work.
Neil Plakcy
Sep 27, 2013 Neil Plakcy rated it it was amazing
ABSENCE OF LIGHT by Zoe Sharp was an excellent thriller -- a series of short set-pieces, each with a compelling structure, that all added up to a page-turning read. Charlie Fox has gone to Colombia after an earthquake to provide security for a search and rescue team, and the adventure doesn't let up from the first page.
*Avonna
Nov 11, 2013 *Avonna rated it it was amazing
Charlie Fox is the most fascinating female character! I am always sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next adventure and Zoe Sharp never fails to deliver an amazing one. The plot is always tight and believable. I am pulled directly into the story and ready to follow Charlie wherever she may lead.
Paul Penney
Feb 14, 2014 Paul Penney rated it it was ok
This was a decent book with a well-told story, but it cannot compare to the others in the series. The other 10 books are much more suspenseful and action-packed. I would not recommend this to someone trying this series or author for the first time, but fans of Miss Foxcroft will want to read it, even if just for continuity of the series.
Jacki
Jun 03, 2015 Jacki rated it it was amazing
Loved the story.....Zoe Sharp always has her material researched well in her stories. This was intense. Can't wait for next full book. :)
Carmel McCartin
Carmel McCartin rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
John Hancock
John Hancock rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Guillaume
Guillaume rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Craig Grimes
Craig Grimes rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Gwenn
Gwenn rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
Trude
Trude rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
JT
JT rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Dwayne Klein
Dwayne Klein rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
peter christensen
peter christensen rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
K
K rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Martyn
Martyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • Powder Burn  (Burn with Sam Blackett, #1)
  • Bad Deeds (Dylan Hunter, #2)
  • MAC WALKER'S BENGHAZI:  The Complete Collection
  • Section 8 (Jim Vaughn, #1)
  • Agent Hill: Off The Grid- Book 0
  • Rogue Operator (Dylan Kane #1)
  • The Buried (Jonathan Quinn #9)
  • End of Enemies (Briggs Tanner, #1)
  • Salvation Row (John Milton #6)
  • When Danger Calls (Five Star Expressions)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • SEAL Team Six: The Novel
  • Lethal Misconduct (Corps Justice, #6)
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Memory
  • Black Harvest (The Project, #4)
  • Finding Gaia
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...

Charlie Fox (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox Thriller #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)