Start by marking “The Blood Crows (Eagle, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Crows (Eagle, #12)

The Blood Crows (Eagle #12)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  51 reviews
For nearly ten years, the Roman Empire has fought ceaselessly to strengthen its hold over Britannia. But opposition from native tribes led by the ruthless warrior Caratacus threatens to destroy everything. Prefect Cato and Centurion Macro are summoned by Governor Ostorius to Londinium. Tasked with leading a newly formed cavalry cohort into the heartland of Wales, they must ...more
Published October 24th 2013 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Crows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Crows

Seduction by M.J. RoseThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie BenjaminThe Firebird by Susanna KearsleyThe Midwife's Tale by Sam   ThomasThe White Princess by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction 2013
309th out of 584 books — 2,366 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Best Military Science Fiction Books
234th out of 397 books — 496 voters

More lists with this book...

Mr. Matt
A year or two ago I read the first twelve books of the Eagle series in a rush one right after another. I loved them. They were loads of fun with a well meaning young man in bad circumstances, a wise cracking older, wise side kick, and lots of twists and turns - oh, and plenty of good old fashioned Roman on Barbarian (Briton, German, Dacian, Palestinian, Syrian, etc) battles. When this book came out I was glad to get back to Macro and Cato!

Alas, I was disappointed. Maybe it's like visiting the s
Paul
I'm a little torn with this book.
On the one hand it's YET ANOTHER book by Scarrow where our plucky heroes are sent to some godforsaken remote outpost in the middle of nowhere and besieged by a rag tag bunch of native rabble determined to expel the Romans once and for all. It's the exact same concept as at four or five of the other books in the series only with a few minor specifics changed, otherwise this could just as easily be any other storyline lifted and repressed.

On the other hand, for all
Nathan Trachta
I love this series. While there's ups and downs (true for all series) I can honestly say I've enjoyed all the books in this series. Blood Crows is the return of two of my favorite heroes and seeing how they handle situations. As always, things are never simple with Macro and Cato, even as they move upward in rank. After taking a break in Rome, Blood Crows brings us back to England that's a little more civilized or is that Romanized. Now Cato and Macro have been thrown to the outer reaches of Bri ...more
Luka Novak
Cato and Macro return to their old haunts of Britannia, where they meet some old friends and "friends". So this is more of a fighting part of series, as opposed to being knee deep in political intrigue.

Having said that, the book simply didn't struck a chord witm me. It's not a bad book by itself, but I think that by now the series is a bit played out. The constant encounters with Baudica obviously sets the ground for her later revolt, which will not go down well with Macro.

But if nothing else Sc
David
Book number 12 in Simon Scarrow's (what was originally called) Eagle series (before the 'Eagle' moniker was dropped with the publication of Centurion), with this one seeing the return of Roman soldiers Macro and Cato back to the scene of the first novels: back to the still-untamed Britain.

The newly promoted Prefect Cato (who has thus overtaken his old mentor and friend Macro - now a Centurion - in rank), as well as Centurion Macro, are given the task of taking command of a military outpost on th
Jan
A good read by Simon Scarrow in his Eagle Series, with Cato and Macro returning to regular soldiering duties in Britannia, after their adventures working for Narcissus in previous books.

Cato, freshly promoted to Prefect, and Marco arrive in Britain (with Marco's mother in tow), to take command of their new commands in a far outpost - currently run by Quertus, who has shown a rather single-minded focus on raiding the surrounding tribes, with no quarter given.

Scarrow sets up a fascinating story, w
Ian
Lucinda
A bloodthirsty thriller capturing the essence of warfare as Rome’s conquest over Britannia beckons

No 1 Bestselling author of historical fiction, Simon Scarrow triumphs again with another thrilling adventure of Marco and Cato (Eagle #12). These battle-hardened soldiers of the Roman Army now fight for the Empire in Britannia, as they face deadly adversary Caratacus. Death and destruction sweeps across the province and into the heartland of Wales, with growing resistance from ruthless native tribes
Milo (Bane of Kings)
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/11/....

“An excellent and welcoming return to the adventures of Macro and Cato, Simon Scarrow once more proves why he’s one of the best historical fiction writers out there. Fans of the series will love this latest addition - The Blood Crows is not to be missed!” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

James Collett
I dealt with Simon Scarrow's books on a regular basis while working at a public library, though the number of books he had written even at that time meant that I never knew the best place to start reading them. As numerous as they were, Scarrow's place on the shelves was never completely full. To say that his books experienced a good turn-around with the library's readers would be an understatement, and I now understand the reasons for it.

With eleven books preceding it in the series - covering e
John Salter
Having read all of the previous titles in Simon Scarrow's tales about Macro and Cato, I couldn't resist jumping at the chance to get a Special Collector's Edition which was released early. The book arrived last weekend and whenever I've had the chance, I've been reading it ever since and finished it today. My hope upon hope was that it lived up to all the other stories involving his intrepid duo as they not only fight the enemy but also those who wish them harm within the Empire.

I don't want to
Elliott Hill
First of all I really like the Macro and Cato series. I've read and enjoyed all the previous books, I still enjoyed The Blood Crows but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the previous books.

Macro and Cato have had their individual book specializations (Nautical, Policing, Spying, Slave Revolts etc), now they are back to good ol' fashioned Soldiering. Macro and Cato are sent back to Britannia in an attempt to leave the political enemies they have made behind. They are posted out to a far flung cor
Robin Carter
Macro and Cato are back in town, and bring with them their usual amount of mayhem, intrigue and collateral damage.
They just don't seem able to sit idle and enjoy some down time, or lady fortuna has a sick sense of humour. Once again they are back in the legions, and once again its not a nice comfortable billet. But I don't think either of these boys would want or expect one, honours are earned at end end of a sword, and these boys still have medals and higher rank in mind.
In this book we are bac
Mariano Pastor
Cato y Macro superan en cada libro pruebas más difíciles. Sigo enganchado porque el autor suele ser ameno, en este libro no tanto, y sus protagonistas recorren los límites del Imperio impartiendo leña y civilización. En sí la novela no vale gran cosa. Además, continuamente recordaba aquellas películas en las que los indios atacaban el fuerte. El final se cumple cuando el Séptimo de Caballería rescata a los supervivientes del acoso de los indígenas.
Alexander
I do enjoy the tales of Cato & Macro, so am delighted to find my two favourite Romans back for another adventure. This time around, they've been summoned by Governor Ostorius to Londinium and tasked with leading a newly formed cavalry cohort into the heartland of Wales. A journey which is scary enough now, never mind back then. We may be twelve books into the series, but the adventure, derring do, muck and glaur has never let up. Granted, if you're new to this world, you'd better off startin ...more
John
You can always rely upon Simon Scarrow to produce a cracking good book.

Back to the time when men were men and women were glad of it, he takes up the continuing adventures of the two Roman soldiers, Centurion Marco and Prefect Cato who are sent to the farest outpost of the Roman Empire, Britannia. A place where the locals are still up in arms over Romes intentions to placate the locals and impose order, Roman style.

One Roman commander leader of The Blood Crows legion takes it upon himself, to tak
Alex Dovey
This was a great step back into the best bits of the Simon Scarrow series. I love the big battles, scale and desperation rather than the cloak and dagger the series has more recently bent to.

The best way to describe this is Gritty, there are some fantastic fights and battle scenes but the sections between battles have great depth. The conversations, preparation and the final struggles to stay alive feel very real.

My only real gripes with book would be the beginning where there seemed to be a s
Pedro da Silva Mesquita
Mais um fantástico livro de Simon Scarrow... Apesar de ser um pouco "mais do mesmo" não deixa de ser um livro genial onde se retrata a vida das legiões e onde as descrições das batalhas são no mínimo imperdíveis. Já estou ansioso e à espera de um novo livro desta série maravilhosa.
Nigel
I certainly found no complacency like you sometimes find from authors who have written this many books. This being Cato and Macro's thirteenth tale together, I am still transfixed by the scrapes they find themselves in. Great fun.
Richard Davis
A return to form for Macro and Cato. I must confess to getting a little tired of the series since leaving Britain - there seemed to be no overall structure, just them getting posted all over the place. Now they are back where it all began, and I think the series will now be the better for it.
Miguel
Quem consegue, estar muito tempo sem o Cato e o Macro, o que os une é muito forte, tal como a história, nos prende do inicio ao fim, será que se vão safar desta vez? ;)
Anne Domingo
i love every second i spent reading it!though I am a bit busy right now, reading the adventures of cato and macro is the crowning glory of my day!thank you simon scarrow!
I don't normally like historical novels so this was a departure from my usual murder/mystery books. However it was full of intrigue and menace and was an excellent story, well told by an excellent writer. The descriptions of the characters were spot on, I felt like I knew them really well and cared about what happened to them. The historical bits to set the scene were not too long and definitely helped me to understand what was going on. Having read this I would definitley rad more by the same a ...more
Benjamin
Quickly becoming one of my favorite authors
Rachel Marshall
I have read all of the novels in this series. I was looking forward to reading the blood crows, but after reading I must say I am not completely satisfied with this latest one. I thought the fighting scenes with individual characters and the tribes against the roman troops very predicable and not at all impressive. I thought the ending was again predicable but also a major let down.
I personally didn't think this book was anywhere as good as the previous instalments in the series and hope the nex
Julio Muñoz
it is awesomee
Kevin
The latest instalment in the continuing tale of Cato and Macro, I felt that this was a little slow to get started, with a little too much time spent dwelling on things that were ultimately irrelevant. Having said that, once things got moving, the story continued with the usual blood-thirsty ferocity of a Simon Scarrow novel.
If you're a fan of Cato and Macro, you have to read this. If you've not read any of the series yet, then you are missing out. I would suggest though that you don't start with
Soteris
Another fantastic book by Simon Scarrow. Macro and Cato's story is superb. Best Roman legion type series I've read.
William
Terrific action, culture and organisation of the Roman Army circa 50AD.
Michael
I really enjoy this Cato and Macro series, with Centurion still remaining one of my favourite books of all time. This new one took a while to get going, at least 100 pages before anything exciting happened, which is unusual for these stories. Still, the description was strong enough and the characters of Macro and Cato as good as ever. Existing fans will be pleased but perhaps new ones will enjoy the other books in the series more.
  • The Wolf's Gold (Empire, #5)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Sword of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #4)
  • False God of Rome (Vespasian, #3)
  • Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal, #3)
  • Marius' Mules: The Belgae (Marius' Mules, #2)
  • Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen
More about Simon Scarrow...

Eagle (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1)
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1) The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2) When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3) Centurion (Eagle, #8) The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)