Start by marking “Florante at Laura” as Want to Read:
Florante at Laura

Florante at Laura

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,762 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Florante at Laura, please sign up.

Jr Bacdayan
Apr 11, 2013 Jr Bacdayan rated it it was ok
I am very conflicted as I write this review. I don't know if I am entitled to criticize a cultural and literary treasure. Maybe just a trolly won't hurt. Firstly, I acknowledge the importance of this work to the Philippine Culture. But, that's the only positive thing that I can see. That's not even a genuine enough reason. Partly, just my observation, because we have no other choices. Poetic yes, but not necessarily great. It is notable, though, that this work of a hopeless and lovesick 'cisco i ...more
Angélica
Feb 05, 2012 Angélica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angélica by: Required reading for second year Filipino
Shelves: fantasy, classics, romance
It was a challenge to read the verses when I was in high school. Maybe I'll re-read this in the future, after I finish with Rizal. I didn't get to appreciate the classics we read in high school because I was silly and my grasp of classical Tagalog was (and still is, unfortunately) shameful.
I actually kinda shipped Florante x Aladín and Laura x Flerida back then. Maybe I didn't see enough build-up (IMO) between the canon pairs.
Claire
May 23, 2012 Claire rated it did not like it
One of the worst novels I've ever laid my eyes on. Worse, I was forced to study this piece of crap to pass Filipino. Sure it's considered as a Philippine "classic", but anyone who reads this would have to agree that there is no bit of originality. It's a monstrous child born from an orgy of various foreign literature-absolutely dripping with plagiarism. A bitter result of a man turned mad by the loss of a lover. Ugh.
Carlo Estadilla
Sep 17, 2012 Carlo Estadilla rated it it was ok
Mahirap talaga magbigay ng mataas na review kung binasa mo lang yung libro dahil required. Ang hirap pa hindi pa gaano ka-mature yung reading skills ko nung second year high school. Di naman maikakaila yung galing ni Balagtas sa paggawa ng verses, pero hindi talaga compatible sa mga teenagers yung ganitong babasahin.
Ann Jenelle Rotol
Nov 26, 2012 Ann Jenelle Rotol rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, tatak-pinoy
Sa lahat ata ng dapat basahin sa subject na Filipino nung high school, ito ang pinakapaborito ko. Bakit? Hmm, bakit nga ba? Feeling ko lang, :)) Pag kinumpara mo kasi siya sa noli at el fili, di siya masyadong malalim. E hayskul pa ako nun. Sa panahong iyon, mas gusto ko ang light read kaysa sa mga mukhang boring na babasahin. Tapos parang ewan lang kasi yung Ibong Adarna. Kaya pinakapaborito ko ito. Tsaka gusto ko rin kaya si Balagtas! Ang galing niya e. :D
Darl chiu
Sep 11, 2007 Darl chiu rated it liked it
bakit ang ganda nung cover? haha.. =P
areej.
May 15, 2015 areej. rated it really liked it
We were required to read this in school and over-analyzing every line for academic purposes of course but what surprised me is I actually enjoyed the story immensely. Sure I had to translate some of the deep Filipino jargon but nonetheless I found myself just forgetting this was required reading and not pleasure reading.

But I still have a love-hate relationship with this so-called Filipino classic. I mean, yeah sure it was good but it's not like WOAH BLOWS YOUR MIND SO FRICKEN GOOD.

There were t
Ely
Dec 06, 2014 Ely rated it really liked it
Ang Florante at Laura ay nabasa ko noong ako ay nasa 2nd year hayskul. Maganda ang pagkasulat ni Francisco Balagtas sa librong ito ngunit dahil sa murang edad hindi ko pa ito lubusang naintindihan, dahil na rin sa ibang mga malalalim na salita na ginamit ni Francisco Balagtas. Ito rin siguro ang dahilan kung bakit hindi ito nagustuhan ng ibang kagaya ko na nabasa ito dahil kailangan sa agham na Pilipino.

Gayunpaman, nagustuhan ko ang librong Florante at Laura ni Francisco Balagtas dahil ito ay hi
Jovy
Jun 07, 2013 Jovy rated it really liked it
I gave this a four star not because of the plot but because of how it was originally written in the Tagalog language (definitely not the translated version)

Positives first: (a) this was written by the National Poet of the Philippines - Francisco Balagtas (b) it was written as "awit" or song with poetic form that has very strict rules, i.e. 4 lines per stanza and 12 syllables per line, which is really very hard to do (c) ignore the location of the story and focus on one thing - love!!! That's the
chrys
If someone asks me for an example for purple prose in my own native tongue, I'll be glad to chuck this book their way. Even with my smartest friends' assistance in trying to understand the stanzas, we had the utmost difficulty in doing so that many times we were eventually forced to look shit up in the internet, beg the teacher for help, and 'team up' with other students.

Call me unimaginative but some of the shit I read was just too ridiculous for my taste. Or maybe I was just too dismayed durin
Gabriel Sarangaya
Mar 03, 2014 Gabriel Sarangaya rated it liked it
Francisco Balagtas was a great writer. Magaling siya. I respect his works. For me, isa ito sa mga books na pwedeng ipagmalaki. this is part of our history.

BUT..As a Grade VIII student, because of the "deep" words it is hard to understand. Hindi ako against sa pag-aaral nito but I think it is not applicable to study by teenagers. Yes. Let us say na maganda nga itong basahin at pinag-aaralan nga talaga nila.
But the story and it's format.. maraming teenagers ang napipilitan lang talagang basahin. M
Sarah Neuda
Nov 18, 2013 Sarah Neuda rated it really liked it
The first time I read this was back in highschool. I didn't really understood it at that time. All I know even after reading it and passing the 2nd year Filipino subject is that it is a story of star crossed lovers Florante and Laura and how their lives intertwined with that of Alladin and Flerida.
After nearly 20 years, I've got a chance to re read this epic poem. After the awe inspiring feeling of reading a pure and unaldurated tagalog which hit me for the first 15 minutes, I realized that the
Gabriel John
May 17, 2013 Gabriel John rated it it was amazing
I think everyone in the Philippines have read this book, although in an objective, academic way; the reason being that this is a compulsory course to be taken during high school. I believe only a few have read this on their own or understood and appreciated its subtle blends of love and other emotions. For you to understand this book, read it outside class hours and outside the bondage of homework and academic need. Try to see how beautiful this book is. It will sound too "old" and "archaic" the ...more
Angela Pauline
Mar 31, 2012 Angela Pauline rated it it was amazing
This is actually the first book that we are required to read and study about at school that I loved the most so far. Although I feel like there's still something missing in the story of Aladin's backstory especially about his mother. So yeah.

I don't even know why i put this here. oh well. Its still a book, right?! XD
JoPaul
The first and only lyric poetry that I have read, but surprisingly good and well-crafted by one of the best Filipino authors of Philippine literature. The love story of Florante and Laura in a time where barbarianism is the culture, allows the readers to know and feel how it is difficult for lovers to end up on each other's arms.
Drew
Apr 15, 2011 Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I read this when I was in second year high school. Florante and Laura has some of the basic elements of any fictional romance (e.g: the dashing hero, the damsel in distress) but it has also some very good twists (e.g: the "flashback timeline").
G.Jade
Aug 31, 2011 G.Jade rated it really liked it
One of the classic filipino novel. Recquired when I was on my 2nd year high school. We memorize lot's of vocabularies (talasalitaan) that time -bring back memories- I won't forget this novel ever.
Niño Manaog
Feb 18, 2012 Niño Manaog rated it liked it
Labis na matutuwa ang mga banyaga sa akdang ito na sinaliksik at minodelo sa kanilang sariling istilo.
Shelley
I don't know what the five-days-without-electric-supply really did to me. But look at what I've accomplished.

I can say no more but READING 'FLORANTE AT LAURA' WAS NO JOKE.
Mary Abigail Sumiguin
Aug 14, 2014 Mary Abigail Sumiguin rated it it was ok
it was a high school requirement.
i also enjoyed the movie so i was kind of excited about it.

it wasn't a disappointment.
i can't really say i enjoyed it but at least i did not hate.

Jade
Apr 22, 2012 Jade rated it liked it
A school work and I've sort of enjoyed it except for the fact that some words are beyond my vocabulary.
Pam (The Girl Who Cried Books)
We read and studied this when we were in second year high school. And i can't really remember the story. HAHA Sorry.
kimyunalesca
Jun 26, 2011 kimyunalesca rated it liked it
I fell asleep reading this book hahaha! my advice..watch the play instead same content,more fun and action ^_^v
Annika
Feb 22, 2012 Annika rated it really liked it
Shelves: physically-owned
this one's great too. I didn't understand a thing, either. without my teacher's help, I wouldn't have understood anything.
Mowey
Mar 03, 2012 Mowey rated it liked it
highschool sophomores should not be pushed too hard with the literal poetry of this book. it is very dangerous to bore them. i was glad our Filipino II teacher eased us through. otherwise, boring.
Reynaldo Garcia
Reynaldo Garcia rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Chad Endaya
Chad Endaya rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Carly Collins
Carly Collins rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2013
Jared Vincent Lacaran
Jared Vincent Lacaran rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2011
Jheker
Jheker rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
  • El Filibusterismo
  • Ibong Adarna
  • Dekada '70 (Ang Orihinal at Kumpletong Edisyon)
  • Twisted
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • Mga Tagpong Mukhang Ewan at Kung Anu Ano Pang Kababalaghan! (Kikomachine Komix, #1)
  • Kapitan Sino
  • Smaller and Smaller Circles
  • Tikim: Essays on Philippine Food and Culture
  • The Best of Chico & Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
  • Princess Lea: The Life Story of Lea Salonga
  • Circle of Gold
  • Murder on Balete Drive (Trese, #1)
  • Sentimental, mga tula ng pag-ibig, lungkot at paglimot
  • The Best of Pupung (The Best of Pupung, #6)
  • Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag
Francisco Baltazar, known much more widely through his nom-de-plume Francisco Balagtas, was a prominent Filipino poet, and is widely considered as the Tagalog equivalent of William Shakespeare for his impact on Filipino literature. The famous epic, "Florante at Laura", is regarded as his defining work.
More about Francisco Balagtas...