Start by marking “Cry of the Needle” as Want to Read:
Cry of the Needle

Cry of the Needle

When medical malpractice leads to violent revenge, Irish-style...
Kieran Kelly's world turns upside down when his wife's health is devastated by an epidural in childbirth. Incensed by damning evidence of medical and pharmaceutical misconduct, the tormented former IRA hit man plots revenge against those he deems responsible, including a government that doesn't seem to care.

K
Published July 8th 2013 by Roger Radford (first published August 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cry of the Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry of the Needle

Christoph Fischer
"Cry of the Needle" by Roger Radford is a powerful medical thriller about an epidural-gone-wrong during a childbirth and the long wound consequences for the victims and the institutions trying to cover it up.
Knowing that the story was inspired by real events and actual malpractice (use of toxic dye in spinal cord procedures) gave the plot a powerful authenticity and made this a very compelling and emotional read.
I usually stay clear of medical thrillers or politically motivated stories but Radf
Leon Berger
Jul 12, 2013 Leon Berger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A medically-themed thriller with an unusual protagonist. He's a trained killer, an IRA assassin who turns his skills on the doctors whose ignorance and arrogance caused his wife to suffer horrendously. In fact, the author suffered from the same medical malpractice, a lifelong affliction which rarely gives a moment of peace from the pain. This is what inspired him to write this book and what gives it a very real feeling of authenticity. We are well able to understand the motivations behind the ...more
Ann
Aug 10, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CRY OF THE NEEDLE BY ROGER RADFORD

What a brilliant thriller this is! However, it is much more. It is an education on medical malpractice and consequent cover-ups by the pharmaceutical giants of which the author has first hand knowledge (see author’s note at end of book).

The scene is set in London when Teresa Kelly has an epidural which goes wrong during the birth of her fourth child. Already you are gripped with anger that matches that of her Irish husband Kieran Kelly as he watches his wife in
Denise
Sep 04, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Gripping, Intricately Woven Thriller!

The story immediately pulls you into the lives of Teresa and Kieran Kelly where what should be the one of the most joyous events in life, giving birth to their fourth child, goes terribly awry due to the tragic invasive spinal injection, "epidural" by her doctor, leaves Teresa in a state of perpetual and excruciating agony.

Kieran, a former IRA hit man, now leading a peaceful existence in London, is propelled forward by his own code of honor fueled by intern
Jean
Sep 29, 2013 Jean rated it liked it
When medical malpractice leads to violent revenge, Irish-style...
Kelly's quest brings him face-to-face with an alcoholic physician, an altruistic scientist and a corrupt government minister –
Susan
Dec 27, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Cry of the Needle is a "learning experience" novel of a medical procedure -- an epidural -- gone bad. Thankfully the 2 I had caused no problems.

I don't usually read novels with a setting in modern day Ireland or England. It was the 'medical' part that caught my attention. I am not in the medical field, but enjoy reading about that subject.

I enjoyed very little of this book -- setting was one reason. Another reason was the unbelievable long paragraphs.
Linda Look
Oct 07, 2015 Linda Look rated it really liked it
Kieran Kelly, former IRA member, seeks revenge for the medical profession that continues to cover up and protect pharmaceutical companies. This is a scary book since it could very well be true. The excruciating pain resulting from injections/dyes into the spine could be what is wrong with an acquaintance of mine right now. I hope I never have to have a mylegram! Good reading but depressing.
Jan
Sep 01, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done. Of course, since I'm not a fan of unnecessary epidurals, this was right up my alley -- but a complication of epidurals I had absolutely no knowledge of. Quote from Marsden Wagner near to the end of the book. The ending was very sad....but almost predictable.
Janet
Nov 27, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
very good
Lynn Mcclelland
Nov 06, 2015 Lynn Mcclelland rated it liked it
While this book started and ended well...I lost interest in the middle.
Joan Adamak
Jan 21, 2014 Joan Adamak rated it it was amazing
The Greed of Pharmaceutical Companies

This is a long and serious novel about a medical condition “adhesive arachnoiditis,” which would be like chemically induced spinal meningitis. At the end of the book, the author explains why he knows so much about the condition, using that knowledge to write this book. Although this novel is set in England, we have problems with our FDA approving drugs which doctors testify to that they don’t work, but the power of the pharmaceutical companies get them passed
Lori
Jul 10, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting and enlightening. A fictional thriller inspired by/based on true life events.

An entertaining and educational thriller revolving around medical procedures, malpractice, political maneuvers and the pharmaceutical companies involvement in cover-ups. The synopsis of the book tells you everything you need to know about the book.

Engaging characters especially Kieran and his wife Teresa. You can't help but feel all of his emotions (despair, love, anger, hate) right along with him.
Steve Caldwell
Jul 12, 2016 Steve Caldwell rated it really liked it
When a former IRA Fixer's (internal hit man) wife has an epidural go horribly wrong during their child's birth, He takes matters into his own hands to get revenge against the people who did this to his wife. These people include the Doctor who botched it, the Minister of Health for the UK, and the lead doctor of the company that produced the drug. Meanwhile, the other story arc in the story revolves around the corrupt CEO of that company, and his efforts to hide the truth, and expand his company ...more
Knives Boone
Jun 30, 2016 Knives Boone rated it it was ok
I am unsure how to review this book. When I read the description, I was intrigued to read it. And the first few chapters were pretty good, especially conveying the reality of chronic pain (which I deal with myself, though not arachnoiditis).

Once the plot got going, though it seemed to almost completely be about something different. The revenge plot gave way, for the most part, to the corrupt politician and the alcoholic doctor. In fact, the longer I listened, the more confused I was about why th
Judy
Feb 01, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
My Review: I really found this book absorbing and disturbing. Disturbing because it is about a real disease, from which the author himself suffers. The despair that Kelly felt which led him to hostage taking is brought home to the reader. Unfortunately many people have found themselves bewildered and hurt at the hands of the very doctors and drug companies and Gov. officials that are suppose to help us. Kudos to the author for bringing this to light. I know I will research a lot more before I ...more
Jeff
Jun 10, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very British. I was unfamiliar with some of the references, terms and idioms, but it didn't significantly diminish my enjoyment of the story. It kept me up way past my bedtime in order to finish it.

I was very impressed with Nigel Patterson's performance of this audiobook. His accents seemed accurate enough and added to my appreciation of the story. His character voicing was distinctive enough in most cases. The accents helped. I'm glad I got a chance to listen to this audiobook.

Jenna
Jul 20, 2015 Jenna rated it it was amazing
A thrilling novel concerning a medicine that gone awry. An Epidural supposed to anaesthetize pain of child birth, but somehow, it harm thousands of people. One of the victim after child birth killed herself, due to the incessant pain that eat her body slowly. Mrs. Kelly suffering a disease called "Arachnoiditis" a spine disease that produces the pain of a cancer, which the release of death is agreeable.

Apparently, Kieran Kelly has different purpose after his wife death. The former hit man of pro
Mary Mullane
Mar 31, 2014 Mary Mullane rated it it was amazing
This medical thriller is a definte good read on par with any books by Robin Cook and Michael Palmer.

I have worked in the medical field for 43 years but hadn't heard of adhesive arachnoiditis before I read this book.
The author suffers with this incurable excruciatingly painful disorder of the central nervous system. His story is at the end of this novel.
Before you or any of your loved ones agree to an epidural or any back or spinal procedures EDUCATE YOURSELVES to ALL RISKS.
Tabitha Chamberlain
Jan 07, 2014 Tabitha Chamberlain rated it liked it
I didn't finish reading it but for those that like medical political thrillers this book would be right up your alley. Major bonus is the quick character development in the beginning of the book to get you to connect with the major player of the book.
Stephen F. Johnson
Jul 05, 2014 Stephen F. Johnson rated it it was amazing
Roger does it again!

I really enjoyed this book, my second Radford. Another thriller, but with a personal twist. Roger points out an important problem. l wish he had a solution, but the one he uses isn't the best. Still, a thriller worth reading. I highly recommend it.
Reesie
Sep 30, 2015 Reesie rated it it was amazing
Great Story

This book gives you a little bit of everything. Corruption, scandal, revenge and a bit of a love story. What more could you ask for?
Lynnette Loud
Aug 23, 2015 Lynnette Loud rated it it was amazing
WOW

This is a book that once you start reading it is hard to stop. I felt so much a part of the novel and the characters pain.
June E. Collis
June E. Collis rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
CE Henderson
CE Henderson rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2014
L.
L. rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
kathleen sothern
kathleen sothern rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Kathi Defranc
Kathi Defranc rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Renee Desmidt
Renee Desmidt rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Dawn Pedersen
Dawn Pedersen rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • King City
  • Murder Is A Bad Day To Have A Baby
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Metro Star Murders
  • Blood Dahlia - A Thriller (Sarah King Mysteries Book 1)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Dream On (Mark Appleton Thrillers, #2)
  • Goodey's Last Stand (Joe Goodey Mysteries #1)
  • The Collectors (The Collectors, #1)
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • An American Outlaw
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Betrayed
  • Crime Czar (Tubby Dubonnet, #5)