Start by marking “It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)

It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Sometimes It Takes a Scandal...

Abigail Weston has everything: beauty, wit, and one of the largest dowries in England. Her parents hope she'll wed an earl. Abigail hopes for a man who wants her desperately and passionately. But the money seems to blind every man she meets—except one.

Sebastian Vane has nothing. He came home from war with a shattered leg to find his father ma
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published April 29th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Scandal

Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 16, 2016 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 84%

It’s defeated me. The book wins. I lose. I seriously, seriously lose. I lose so bad.

I do not care what happens to these characters. I do not care if they get together or they don’t. Frankly, someone could take a can of petrol and a match to the whole place and I would be entirely unmoved.

This book isn’t necessarily bad. The writing is sufficient. The scene setting is passable. But life is just too short for a story like this one.

I made a comment about Avon in the early days of readin
Caz
Jul 25, 2016 Caz rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so 4.5 stars

Caroline Linden follows up one of my favourite books of last year, Love and Other Scandals with another beautifully written, character-driven romance which, while loosely linked to the earlier book, is very different in tone. In it, we become reacquainted with Abigail and Penelope Weston, and, of course, privy to more of the sexual exploits of the scandalous and mysterious Lady Constance, purveyor of smut to well-bred and curious young ladies in her equ
Kathleen
Contents: One fairly explicit sex scene and two explicit foreplay scenes. Very little swearing or profanity (appreciate that). No murder, gore, or grue. A little suspense -- who stole the gold and whatever happened to poor mad Michael Vane? No children in the plot.

Audiobook, nicely narrated by Veida Dehmlow. I played it at a slightly faster clip, because she pauses too long between sentences, but that's my only quibble with her performance. I would happily listen to her again.

I have not read the
Lover of Romance
Sebastian Vane, has come back from the war injured with a shattered leg. His father is going insane, and when his father disappears, the townspeople believe that he is a murderer, and going mad just like his father did. But when a new neighbor move in, with a beautiful daughter, Abigail, his world changes. Abigail, with her parents and younger sister, have just moved to a country manor. When Abigail meets Sebastian in the woods, she sees a man that protects himself, but needs someone to believe ...more
nick
Feb 20, 2016 nick rated it really liked it

Aww! What a lovely historical romance book. I loved Abigail and Sebastian and I loved them even more as a couple. It was refreshing that there was hardly any drama between them and I especially appreciated the fact that they communicated with each other.
I also need to give a shout out to Penelope, Abigail's sister, who was funny, loyal and a sweetheart! I'm ready for her story although her hero has some serious work to do to impress me.
Cathy
Aug 23, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it

Rounding up because I didn't dislike it, I just wasn't as invested as I was with the first book. I didn't feel Abigail and Sebastian had the kind of spark Joan and Tristan had, and the basis for their romance was a little thin. Additionally, I thought Abigail behaved like a ninny (for lack of a better word) at times, and the triangle with Benedict went on a bit too long.

It was enjoyable, but nothing more. Despite certain reservations, I'm curious to see where the author will take book
T.L. Haddix
Good, easy, popcorn read. Weird dialogue tags. Not a meat and potatoes kind of historical romance, but more of a light, rainy-day and no-heavy-thinking read.
Amanda
I don’t think I’ll be reading Caroline Linden again after this. While the book itself was okay, her stilted writing style and questionable plot choices left something to be desired.

Abigail and Sebastian’s romance was sweet and pleasantly low-drama, that is until a poorly thought out love triangle of sorts was added into the mix which in effect really sucked a lot of the enjoyment I had been feeling. It was like this conflict was introduced just for conflict's sake and also as a lead-in to the ne
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 09, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
While the second in a series, this book actually works very well on its own with very little carry-over from the first (although the sisters, Abigail and Penelope, are prominent there, their personalities are only really hinted at and are much better established here). As well, the books are quite different in tone and plot so even predicting how you'd like the story is going to be hit-or-miss.

A big difference is that Abigail is a quiet heroine, given to walks in the woods and reading. Oh, not i
Andrea
It Takes a Scandal was sooooo good. So very good. Abigail Weston was such an endearing, lively friend to Joan (of Love and Other Scandals), so I was happy to get her HEA.

In this installment in the series, we get one of the loveliest and vulnerable heroes I've had the pleasure to read, Sebastian Vane. Sebastian, once a beloved member of society, is now an outcast. Severely injured in service to his country, Sebastian deals with great pain and often relies on a cane -one strike. While he was at w
Farrah
May 03, 2014 Farrah rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5/5

A very sweet, lovely, and enjoyable read, It Takes a Scandal was a wonderful historical romance. I really liked this book. From the sweet romance, to the surprising secrets, this book was delightful. Loved it!

Abigail was a lovely heroine. She was strong, clever, and willing to fight for what she wanted. I liked that she stood by Sebastian, refusing to listen to unfounded rumors and determined to defend him against those who did. I really liked her. She was a wonderful character.

S
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

It Takes a Scandal is the second book in Caroline Linden's Scandalous series which focuses on women who become fans of a scintillating pamphlet, 50 Ways to Sin. This book features Abigail Weston, one of two daughters of a wealthy gentleman who has recently bought a new estate in the country. While exploring the surrounding forest, Abigail meets the mysterious Sebastian Vane and they embark on a sweet romance that pushes both of them to think about what they really want in life.

Abigail and
Becca
Jan 20, 2015 Becca rated it liked it
While this book started off slow, once Abigail came to her senses, the book moved faster. It took me a week and a half to finish the first half and then only a day to read the second.

In my opinion, this book was not as strong as the first in the series, but it did present some new characters. The romance focused on Sebastian vane, an injured veteran with a mountain of debt and a shroud of gossip, and Abigail Weston, a beautiful daughter of a wealthy man of common birth. Sebastian has been betra
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Typical romance with all the requisites of that genre. The characters were pretty well-rounded with personalities that stood out. The emotional pull was definitely there, always a good thing with this genre.

I enjoyed the fact that Sebastian’s strapped-for-cash situation wasn't stopping him from pursuing his girl. In a similar plot setup, I could see where an author might strive for melodrama by making the guy angst over not being able to get his love and brooding over that fact. I also
Ilze
Oct 15, 2014 Ilze rated it did not like it
Shelves: caroline-linden
DNF, unfortunately, because I have enjoyed some of Caroline Linden's books immensely. The hero had great promise, but I could not continue once I hit the third strike below:

1) Using a series of erotic pamphlets called "Fifty Ways to Sin" as a theme for the book. No thanks.

2) Extremely annoying and puerile sister to the heroine - it got so that I just couldn't stand to read about her, especially her addiction to the "Fifty Ways to Sin" pamphlet.

3) The scene where the heroine meets the hero. The
Mey Buentipo
May 19, 2014 Mey Buentipo rated it really liked it
The 2nd book of the series. In spite, of my regrets on the 1st. This book maked up to it. I loved the plot. I loved the characters. It's fast paced and not frustrating. I loved the h/h. I was scared a little that the rival of the hero might be the real of hero of the story. What I liked about this book the plot is simple and it is the same on other HR books but what stand out us the h/h.

I am a sucker for brooding, destroyed, and mysterious hero and a logical and realist heroine. There is someth
Natalie
A fun read, I enjoyed that this took place in the country in a small town. I liked Vane and Abigail bonding over their love of books and searching for the lost grotto and their dogs. That was all very cute. I liked that Vane was a brooding hero for a good reason (because of his shattered leg and his missing mad father and the fortune his father squandered) but on the whole he was a pretty decent guy. Penelope, Abigail's younger sister was a fabulous supporting character, so I'm kinda pissed her ...more
Lissa
Nov 10, 2015 Lissa rated it it was amazing
Caroline Linden is a new-to-me author and I am in LOVE with her work!! Abigail- so strong and caring, Sebastian- so lost and alone. I really enjoyed their story; it was a very sweet romance and sometimes that is a welcome respite from all the angst and subterfuge that is out today.
I was just looking over some of the little comments that I wrote as I was reading- as I sit in a professional development- and just the level of my emotional outbursts makes me laugh because 1) I'm funny and 2) I love
Norav
May 20, 2015 Norav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 étoiles mais en réalité plutôt 3 et demi car j'ai préféré ce tome au précédent.
L'histoire est très bien mais je deviens plus difficile. Et le héros est un peu trop torturé à mon goût.
Angela
Mar 10, 2016 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
5 February 2016: $1.99 on Kindle
Tin
Mar 31, 2015 Tin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
After I finished reading Love and Other Scandals , Caroline Linden's characters lingered with me, and I was reluctant to let them go, so I picked up the next book in the series and read it. Abigail Weston and her sister, Penelope, are young, beautiful, and wealthy -- but they haven't gotten any serious offers during the season because their family is "new money" and no one knows the source of it. Rumours have ranged from shady deals to illegal activities. In her father's latest bid to "buy resp ...more
Alyssa

Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: April 29, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sometimes It Takes a Scandal...

Camille Flores
4 lovely stars! :)

The story in a nutshell…

Abigail first met Sebastian when he saved her mother’s dog in the woods. Their brief encounter left a big impression on both of them and in no time did they find themselves wanting to spend more and more time with each other and getting to know one another. They became neighbors, you see, when Abigail’s father bought Hart House right next to the property where Montrose Hill, Sebastian’s home is located. But will they growing affection for each other sta
Everalice
May 29, 2014 Everalice rated it really liked it
Si le résumé reprend fidèlement la trame générale de l'histoire, la couverture en revanche me laisse perplexe. Les couleurs criardes et le couple lascif peuvent donner une fausse idée de l'atmosphère de ce roman.
Car cette histoire, très bien écrite, avec beaucoup de finesse et de sensualité, n'est en rien tape-à-l’œil. Ce qui n'a rien d'étonnant, car le talent de Caroline Linden, et c'est bien pour ça que je l'apprécie toujours autant, est beaucoup plus n
Thenia
Dec 09, 2016 Thenia rated it really liked it
A sweet story of a couple that deserves their happily ever after.

Sebastian Vane returned from the war injured to find his father mad and his estate sold off for a pittance, only to have things become worse when his father disappears and he is suspected of killing him. With no way to recover his losses or his good reputation, he becomes a recluse, trying in vain to repay his father's debts.

Abigail Weston's family is untitled but very rich and they have recently moved to Sebastian's neighboring es
Dottie
May 03, 2014 Dottie rated it really liked it
A delightfully poignant historical romance that is packed with scandal, mystery and love! Rated at 4.5! Taken from my review at RomanceJunkies.com:

Sebastian Vane returns home from the war with a badly shattered leg only to discover that his father, who is failing mentally, has practically given away his inheritance. With his father’s mental state, Sebastian is forced to lock him in his room each night. But one night, his father disappears and that same evening, money is stolen from Lord Strathmo
Lisa Creane
Jan 14, 2015 Lisa Creane rated it liked it
Ending a 10-day Caroline Linden on a low note. What gives? I am moderately forgiving of plotless romance books (see Grace Burrowes Lost Lords series, and some of Mary Balogh's) if the characters are interesting and the setting/pace/writing all shine but this one was even too much for me.

Mostly because the setting was staid (we did not leave the heroine's estate nearly enough, going into her woods a dozen times or more), the pace was slow and the character of Abigail made me ache with horror.

Whi
Jane
Dec 27, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Where I got the book: review copy provided by publisher. My feature article on this and two similar romances appears on the Historical Novel Society website.

For once, this historical romance came with a date attached. Two dates, in fact. The first is 1816, when Sebastian Vane has returned from the Battle of Waterloo with a shattered leg to find that his father has gone insane and sold off most of their Richmond estate for a pittance. He is forced to lock up his father for the latter’s own safety
Marilyn Rondeau
May 04, 2014 Marilyn Rondeau rated it really liked it
4-1/2*
Miss Abigail Weston has beauty, wit and a very large dowery. Her father is not nobility building his wealth rather than inheriting yet hopes his wealth attracts the best possible match for his daughters. Unfortunately, for Abby all that money seems to blind every man she meets - except one!

Sebastian Vane came home from the war with a shattered knee, to find his father suffering from madness and pretty near penniless after his father had gone ahead and practically given away all of his est
Pam
May 09, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Sebastian is a recluse. He was injured in the war and came home to find his father had went mad. He had run through all their money and sold off most of their property. Then one night his father disappeared and everyone blames him. No one will hardly deal with him. He has gotten used to being alone but when he saves a dog one night that all changes. Abigail is rich, beautiful and has a vast appetite for reading. She is attracted to Sebastian despite what everyone says. They begin to explore the ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 02, 2015 10:42AM
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Elusive Lord Everhart (The Rakes of Fallow Hall, #1)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven, #2)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • The Baron's Betrothal (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
Caroline Linden was born a reader, not a writer. She earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard University and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Her books have won the NEC-RWA Readers' Choice Award, the JNRW Golden Leaf, the Daphne du Maurier Award, and RWA's RITA Award, and have been translated into ...more
More about Caroline Linden...

Scandalous (4 books)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)