Start by marking “Anti-Bias Curriculum: Tools for Empowering Young Children” as Want to Read:
Anti-Bias Curriculum: Tools for Empowering Young Children

Anti-Bias Curriculum: Tools for Empowering Young Children

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This is a book aimed at teachers of young children to help them create an empowering atmosphere of equality and diversity.
Published January 1st 1989 by National Association for the Education of Young Children(NAEYC)

To ask other readers questions about Anti-Bias Curriculum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anti-Bias Curriculum

The work of Derman-Sparks and the ABC Task Force is still HIGHLY relevant 20 years after publication. That the book is now out of print is a tragedy. At the time of their original publication, they were groundbreaking, and even today their work is considered progressive and thus often controversial, especially to the many who don't see or understand the need for change in how social inequalities are reascribed and supported in education.

I have only two qualms with the text:
First, all the resea
My favorite takeaway was the practice of sharing narratives with persona dolls, reinforcing with empirical examples the power of story in creating empathy and connection. Definitely worth a reread! I'd be curious to know how to best address cisgender/transgender for this age as well.
Lin Kudla
Required textbook reading. Maybe I didn't have the tolerance for it because I just finished up an entire semester's worth of anti-bias in my Psych of Prejudice class. Either way, I couldn't get through three pages at a time without falling asleep, no matter how awake and alert I was. Some suggestions and activities are totally worth checking into, but overall I found the book to be redundant.
Mar 15, 2008 Callie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool and elementary teachers
Another textbook. Great for learning how to plan lessons for children that isn't biased. Explains how to teach children to accept everyone for who they are, and to learn more about other cultures than what they are usually exposed to.
I found out there is a new version of this, so I'm setting it aside for the new, trans-inclusive edition.
This is a great book-- but I am actually reading the much improved second edition.
a must read for those who work with young children.
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Anna Timu
Anna Timu marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Julie Winnette
Julie Winnette marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Toni marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Arlette marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Maggie Schwanke
Maggie Schwanke marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Michelle Flynn
Michelle Flynn marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Catherine Rains
Catherine Rains marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Michelle Chappell
Michelle Chappell is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Clarinda marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014