Start by marking “Things as They Really Are” as Want to Read:
Things as They Really Are

Things as They Really Are

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This book is an intense treatment of a vital subject. Unlike portions of the author's previous books that focused on various dimensions of the gospel with discussions of the many insights it provides to us that are essential for coping with reality, this book attempts to probe reality itself-the very center of the gospel plan-the things that matter most, on which everythin ...more
Published December 1st 1978 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Things as They Really Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things as They Really Are

Matthew
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Neal A Maxwell takes as his subject "things as they really are, and... things as they really will be." (Jacob 4:13) Throughout the book Elder Maxwell attempts to provide perspective to help us discern reality from what the world wants us to believe.

My favorite passage in the whole book:

"This planet earth is a mere microdot, we are told, at the edge of a galaxy that is but one of thousands of galaxies. Some urge us to succeed on this particular planet, at all costs
Pedro
I loved this book and the clarity with which Elder Maxwell speaks/writes. As a demonstration of how much I liked it, I have 45 little tabs sticking out of the book, marking quotes and points I particularly liked. Elder Maxwell best summarizes what this book is about in the opening paragraphs:
Kristopher Swinson
Breathtakingly, as always, Elder Maxwell tackles the nature of reality itself, for "in the end, we will have either chosen to act in accord with things as they really are--or we will have opted for the fleeting things of this world" (18). We must not repose too much confidence in fleeting "truths," even the imposing ones (2, 9), with which this world is stacked high (4), placing us in the unenviable position, as C.S. Lewis also noted, of being in "enemy territory" (109). "To be too quick to adju ...more
Rena
Classic Elder Maxwell. Powerful subject. Meaning packed in every word and between the lines of every sentence. I am Loving it. And it is sinking into my soul. And. I'm finding it's absolute truths very empowering as I learn to testify of these truths to those who have not yet learned to believe...
Upon finishing it I am rocked to the core. It ends by speaking of "things as they really will be". And has me longing to be again in the presence of The Lord and has my hoping with all my soul to hear
Carolyn
“Oddly enough, disciples are often seen by others as being narrow; they are occasionally taunted for failing to live realistically in the world—and this by those who are themselves intellectually isolate from the deep, eternal perspectives.”
This is one of the many insightful quotes from this book. His messages about the future as well as our premortal past are incredible. I found it so neat how he described our current times so well (ex. new social morals and politics) when the book was publish
Bonnie
Nov 22, 2009 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neal A Maxwell fans
Recommended to Bonnie by: Me!
This is an obscure book of Neil A. Maxwell's that I picked up at D.I. for a song. It's a gem. This book instead of being focused on different aspects of the gospel focuses on reality itself--things as they were, things as they are, and things that are yet to be. He makes a point that we should not believe in things because they are attractive but believe in them because they are true and for no other reason.

Oh, that I could write in one very miniscule way as this man of God does.
Scott
This book was seriously amazing. This explains why people (disciples and apostles) are who they are, and why they do what they do. If we all knew the real truths in life, we would not be so easily tossed around by all the wordly debates. I highly recommend this book to anyone!!!!!!
Jackee
Maxwell has a lovely way of explaining things and such a great mind! He has a far-reaching grasp of the eternities. (In fact, my Kindle wouldn't let me highlight anymore because I had marked the book too much!)
Andrew Hansen
I love Elder Maxwell. He just has such an elegance of writting. I would say he has been one of the last great poets in the Quorum of the Tweleve Apostles. This is a great book among with other short other ones.
Mary
Great book. I highlighted so many parts that made me go "Wow, I never thought of that!" Neal A. Maxwell has such a wonderful, precise way of writing. I definitely want to read more of his books.
Danny
I have read several books by Elder Maxwell, but this is my favorite. I believe it is out of print. It is anamazing glimpse into how to get past all the subterfuge we invent in this life.
Clayton Chase
Trials and tribulations tend to squeeze the artificiality out of us, leaving the essence of what we really are and clarifying what we really yearn for.
Anya
one of the great writers of our day. he has a way with the english language that is so full of life and rich metaphors. loved it.
Rae
A living God. His gospel. The prophets. The scriptures. The things that matter the most! I love me some Elder Maxwell!
Mara
One of my favorite Maxwell books. He's a master.
Katie
One of my top 3 favorite "church books."
Marvelle Morgan
Elder Maxwell is a master teacher.
Andrew Lovell
Andrew Lovell marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Holly Hollinger
Holly Hollinger marked it as to-read
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Thomas Lang
Thomas Lang marked it as to-read
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Sadie Cluff
Sadie Cluff marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Washington
Washington marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • Answers to Gospel Questions: The Classic Collection in One Volume
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith
  • Gethsemane
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
193147
Neal A. Maxwell was well known as an Apostle, author, administrator, and educator. A graduate of the University of Utah, he was the Commissioner of Education for the Church Educational System for six years. He also held a variety of administrative and teaching positions at the University of Utah, including that of executive vice-president.

In 1974 Elder Maxwell was called as an Assistant to the Cou
More about Neal A. Maxwell...
All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience Not My Will, but Thine The Enoch Letters The Promise of Discipleship The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book