Start by marking “Veils” as Want to Read:
Veils

Veils

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The ten stories in Veils take place in present-day Iran or in the United States where Iranian immigrants face alien ways. Teheran’s ancient Ghanat Abad Avenue, with its labyrinth of narrow streets and alleys, loosely links the stories into a single narrative: some residents leave as soon as they can, others can live nowhere else. The men and women in these spare and sensuo ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published May 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Veils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veils

Sharon
"Veils" is a series of short stories about Persian women, all connected by a Tehran street called Ghanat Abad. Some of the women still live there; others have moved to other parts of the world.

Author Nahid Rachlin touches not only on life as a Muslim woman in these tales, but also the challenges of cross-cultural relationships. She examines relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children ... and deals effectively with the immigrant experience through all of the stories.

I might not
Kimberly
I chose this book to read today because I needed something that I could take to the laundry mat and not have to worry about losing my place.

I read about 2/3 of the book while doing my laundry and finished it at home. I liked the book because it paralleled her memoir Persian Girls in some of the stories. I recognized the stories, but they had a fictional flair and a twist. I enjoyed how she used her personal experiences to create some great stories of life in Iran.
Seren Depitty
Seren Depitty marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Gee A
Gee A marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Amel El idrissi
Amel El idrissi marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
ياسمين الشام
ياسمين الشام marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Linda Ciano
Linda Ciano marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Inderjit Sanghera
Inderjit Sanghera marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Mona Temchin
Mona Temchin marked it as to-read
Chinook
Chinook marked it as to-read
Sara Tamjidi
Sara Tamjidi marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Suiden Nour
Suiden Nour marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Er
Er marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Rhianna
Rhianna marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Zanna
Zanna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Ira
Ira marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Manuel
Manuel added it
Jun 21, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Brianna Creacy
Brianna Creacy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Roya Mokhtari
Roya Mokhtari marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
500 Great Books B...: Veils - Nahid Rachlin 1 6 Jul 13, 2014 08:43PM
Nahid Rachlin is the award-winning author of four critically acclaimed novels, including Foreigner, a short story collection, and, most recently, a memoir, Persian Girls, which was selected by Christopher Merrill as one of the four best books of 2006, now available in Penguin paperback. As a student she attended Columbia University MFA program on a Doubleday-Columbia Fellowship, then she went to S ...more
More about Nahid Rachlin...
Persian Girls Foreigner: A Novel Jumping Over Fire Married to a Stranger The Heart's Desire