Start by marking “Neither Present Time” as Want to Read:
Neither Present Time

Neither Present Time

Can a house save the lives of the people who live in it? Can an inscription written in a book over sixty years ago change the fates of people not even born when it was written? Beryl Gray is solid and dependable – her partner, Claire, thinks so, her family thinks so, her colleagues think so. She has a long-term relationship and a job she likes as a university librarian. ...more
Published August 30th 2013 by Corgyn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Neither Present Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neither Present Time

Penny
Aug 24, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it
I think I was 14 when I first read A Portuguese Farewell, one of the most famous poems by Alexandre O'Neill. I remember reading the last three verses: and like an adolescent / I trip in tenderness / for you. And I remember thinking this is bullshit, I'm an adolescent and adolescents do not have tenderness. We have pimples. And hormones.
I did not understand the message at that time. I did not understand that by saying tenderness, O'Neill wanted to simply evoke the capacity of every human being to
Terry Baker
Oct 06, 2013 Terry Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
University librarian, Beryl Gray, is in a job in which she is seriously over qualified for, but enjoys doing. She also has a very low opinion of herself, thanks to outside interference. She’s the person everyone relies on. Work colleagues, friends, family and her partner Claire. Claire is a control freak. Unfortunately, others see this, but Beryl doesn’t. She thinks she’s happy in their eight year relationship. Until one day, Beryl finds out the truth about Claire.

Aggie Bishop hasn’t been datin
P. Industry
Such a beautiful, tender book.

Beryl has always been there for her family, for her controlling girlfriend Claire, for her job. She forms one thread of the narrative. The other is the passionate love shared by Corinne Bishop and her lover Helen. They are brought together by the serendipitous discovery of an old book, but they are truly united by themes of obligation and responsibility. At its heart the book asks the reader - at what point is it enough, and for these duties to end? What does it mea
Bib
Aug 29, 2014 Bib rated it really liked it
The author is great at depicting trapped characters; Margaret Braithwaite in She Sings of Old, Unhappy, Far-off Things, Leisa Yeats in Year of the Monsoon and Beryl Gray of Neither Present Time. They are so realistically portrayed that I get pulled in every time. After reading Werlinger's books, I always feel wistful that the stories have ended. Looking forward to the next great read by the author. Thumbs up!
Ameliah Faith
Jul 19, 2016 Ameliah Faith rated it it was amazing
Aggie has a 93 yr old aunt that everyone else in the family wants to have her sent to a home so they can sell the family estate. As it is the aunt has had to sell most of her belongings to cover the taxes. Unknown to Corinne, some of her books have been auctioned off as well as a book that meant the world to her. Aggie moves in with Corinne to help with expenses and to look after her. Beryl lives in DC. She helps a book store owner catalogue and research the old books he has. One day she finds a ...more
Eva
Jul 06, 2016 Eva rated it liked it
This is the kind of book I would normally adore. The main love story is a true love kind of story. You know which ones I'm talking about, those never ending love stories that last for a lifetime.
Furthermore, in this book you get 2 love stories for the price of one and, on top of that, you also get an interesting set in time (WW2).
There are also some interesting primary and secondary characters, however, there are some crucial characters in this story that you never get to know in depth (Mainly
YC
Oct 21, 2015 YC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
The moment I started reading this book, I couldn't stop. The love, especially between Corinne and Helen is so realistically mesmerizing. There are no big dating scenes or extravagant romances; it's just two people who fell in love and try to stay in love despite all the sour things that life has thrown them both into. It's sweet and filled with so much affection that it leaves you running with bittersweet emotions from the beginning until the end. This book left me crying in the middle of night, ...more
Heidi
Jul 08, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
I like the story of finding an old book and trying to find its original owner. The story of Corrine and Helen was beautiful and heart breaking at the same time.
Sunny
Sep 13, 2016 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. Books that go back and forth in time can be annoying, but that writing style really worked well in this case. The two stories were so intertwined that it was a perfect way to tell them both.

I still have a lump in my throat...
Kennedy
Jul 29, 2015 Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Aggie, Corinne, Helen and Beryl, I enjoyed each of them and the friends. What a wonderful story (past and present)about books, love, houses and friendship. I have enjoyed each of Werlinger's books. They appear so real and reach into the depths of the reader's soul. How each character is described has the reader engrossed in their lives cheering or booing loudly.
Puck
Oct 01, 2016 Puck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
This is the single sweetest gay romance book I have EVER read in all my life. People with histories of trauma coming together against all odds + a historical romance in the background + book-lovers. Auggggh. Just read this. It's too cute.
Meg
Sep 07, 2016 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-lesbian
I really enjoyed this. A nice story about the power of love and relationships, and the difficulties of families.
Donna Bresnak
Jun 30, 2016 Donna Bresnak rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free for a review.

I have to say I loved this book. the characters were interesting, though simplistic. a lot of moving back and forth though their stories to finally mix all together to meet in the ending. the only thing I will say is that the old woman in the story had more energy and fewer health problems than anyone I know at half her age, but what the heck. she was an enjoyable character too.

I would recommend this story without reservation
Jeanne Brandon
Jun 26, 2016 Jeanne Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional Tale!

This book is a wonderful tale with believable characters that the reader falls in love with! Both the back story and main story are intertwined in such a way that is seamless and keeps the reader riveted to the pages, wishing the book would never end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Diane
Jun 21, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bittersweet

This book makes you laugh, cry and think. The main characters are so engaging and I felt like they were people that I knew. I hated when the book ended. It is a book of lost and then of love found.
Marilena Cavazos
Jul 09, 2016 Marilena Cavazos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved how the book told the story in different pieces

I enjoyed reading this book. The way the author went back and forth with the multiple stories and how it all tied together for a tear jerker
Ruth Santiago
Jun 28, 2016 Ruth Santiago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comfort

I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. But the story drew me in. I felt like I was watching it while I read. I have to admit that it draws on the heartstrings. Forbidden love, love lost, cheating lovers,mending hearts. And then tears at the end. Worth the read.
jackie hansen
Jackie

Other reviews are positive so I thought I would give it a try. Found it to be slow . Not very interesting.
Deb
Jul 04, 2016 Deb rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, but was a bit annoyed by the overuse of "thought but didn't say" moments in the book.
Elizabeth Tanner
Great new book! I loved the characters and how the separate stories all intertwined. It was hard to put down. I look forward to other books by this author. Thank you!
Celeste
Jun 17, 2016 Celeste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars

Sweet, interesting story of two couples. It is well written and well plotted with interesting characters well worth knowing. Enjoy.
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Lady Avalon
Lady Avalon rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Cindy Hodgkiss
Cindy Hodgkiss rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Katarina Blair
Katarina Blair rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Claudia J Adams
Claudia J Adams rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Sonia Cassell
Sonia Cassell rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Laura Bernal
Laura Bernal rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Jade Owl (Jade Owl Legacy, #1)
  • Lost Along the Way (Tales of the Curious Cookbook)
  • Now and Then
  • Hidden Away
  • The Shattered Door
  • The Art of Peeling an Orange
  • Screwups
  • Silent Light (Michaela & Trisha, #1)
  • Enigma (Russ Morgan Mystery #1)
  • Dulce et Decorum Est
  • Mechanical Magic (The Laitha Chronicles #1)
  • The Tin Box
  • Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders
  • Jude in Chains
  • French Kissing: Episode One
  • Time and Tide
  • Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son: A Memoir
  • Memories and Marco
From the author's website: I was raised in Ohio, the oldest of four children. Much of my childhood was spent reading everything I could get my hands on, and writing my own variations on many of those stories where I could play the hero, rescuing the girl and winning her love. Then I grew up and went to college where I completed a degree in foreign languages and later another in physical therapy wh ...more
More about Caren J. Werlinger...