Start by marking “Grant Moves South” as Want to Read:
Grant Moves South

Grant Moves South (Grant #2)

Part one of the classic Civil War study of General Ulysses S. Grant, written by Pulitzer Prize-winner Bruce Catton, introduces General Grant as he undertakes his first Civil War command, and follows him as he leads his troops through a series of battles, including Belmont, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Chickasaw Bayou, Edwards Station, and Vicksburg.
Published January 1st 1960 by Little, Brown & Company (Boston)

To ask other readers questions about Grant Moves South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grant Moves South

Randy
Sep 12, 2009 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very readable, Mr. Catton brings Grant to life. What I especially like about this book is that the author shows how Grant evolved into a great commander. Yes, he made mistakes. Yes, he sometimes got lucky, but at his core Grant was a humble man of great courage and resolve, who was able to see the road to victory while others, too afraid to fail, could not.
Jeff
Dec 24, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I have run out of new ways to express my deep appreciation for Bruce Catton's work, but I'll give it a try…

Many readers believe that Grant Moves South is the first of a two-part series by Bruce Catton when, in fact, it is actually the second of a three-part trilogy started by Lloyd Lewis (the first being Captain Sam Grant). Mr. Lewis died and the trilogy was picked up here by Mr. Catton. I've heard it said that Mr. Lewis' work was far superior to Mr. Catton's. I find that hard to imagine
Gerry Germond
May 22, 2013 Gerry Germond rated it liked it
Shelves: civil-war
Grant Moves South is the second of a trilogy, starting with Lloyd Lewis' Captain Sam Grant, covering the life of U.S. Grant through the Civil War. This volume picks up on him in June 1861 as a colonel and commander of the 21st Illinois, and covers his career through the fall of Vicksburg in 1863. The author is giving us a relatively plain, straightforward type of guy, who saw, as did few of his contemporaries, the way to victory was through the total destruction of the enemy's armies which he ac ...more
Karen Fyke
Apr 03, 2008 Karen Fyke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to understand the Civil War and its place in American history.
Shelves: history
Ulysses S. Grant is one of the most mis-understood men in American history. Bruce Catton gives us a balanced and thorough picture of the man, his methods, and his character. In this book, the first of a two-part series, Catton gives an in-depth look at Grant from 1861 when he first enlisted to 1863 and the fall of Vicksburg. I've read bits and pieces of the "campaign in the West" as the war in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri and Arkansas was called, but this is the first time that I ...more
John
Dec 26, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical writing. I've read Grant's autobiographical Personal Memoirs, and, though it had many good parts in his own words (like why Texas' joining the secession was so wrong), Grant is too humble to talk about what made him such a great man. Some interesting history I had never heard of before, such as Grant's policies to help liberated slaves. Always underestimated and understated, frequently wronged by his superiors and critics, his patience and forbearance are well depicted in this bo ...more
Tom Johnson
May 06, 2012 Tom Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
top notch writing - the trouble with Civil War history is that there exists authors who write in order to refight the war - Southern Sympathizers lurk (as in Hollywood, under your bed, etc. ... ) -the "victor" moves on- the "loser" maintains a grudge and scrawls on the s.h. walls - I've read Grant's memoirs but Catton's book makes the events so much clearer (perhaps it's the repetition?). love a book that pulls the reader along - little effort required unless it is to put the book down.
Patrick
Oct 17, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Fascinating look at the rise of U.S Grant. from a nobody to commander of western theater during the Civil War through the siege at Vicksburg and the battle at Chatanooga.
Grant was this quiet unimpressive fellow, but his coolness under pressure ("Ol' Ulyss don't scare worth a damn!" one soldier is reputed to have declared) had this stablizing influence on those around him, most especially the high-strung W.T. Sherman.
Lincoln was his biggest defender, and when critics wanted Grant replaced after t
Spencer
Grant Moves South, though written 56 years ago still reads as if it's refreshingly new. It traces the development and personal growth of a man that became one of America's most outstanding military leaders. Though often vilified as being coarse and a drunkard, Catton presents a strong case that he was anything but. He did have some detractors, but for the most part they were other officers that were rivals of Grants, and they were often subordinates that he may have had to discipline. Catton por ...more
Timothy Mcdonough
Feb 25, 2017 Timothy Mcdonough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catton is always a good read for Civil War history. Much detail, may be tedious if one has less than a voracious appetite for the nitty-gritty.
Peter Hoff
Nov 24, 2016 Peter Hoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know the American Civil War
This is not my first rodeo with Grant. I have followed him by reading Shelby Foote's three-volume narrative of the Civil War, and with several books by Jeff Shaara. There is no denying Bruce Catton's preeminence as a Civil War historian, even though reading him now did not add significantly to my overall understanding of Grant's campaign from Fort Donelson through Shiloh and Vicksburg. The occasional anecdotes are different, but the story is--no surprise--much the same. Catton, though, focuses h ...more
Jim Galford
Feb 12, 2017 Jim Galford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catton is one of my favorite Civil war authors. This book deals with the beginning of Grant's campaign as he moves south through the Mississippi Valley.
Ben
Nov 18, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book on Grant's Civil War career that covers his career from the start of the war in 1861 to the fall of Vicksburg in July 1863. The book covers a lot of ground as the reader follows Grant from being Colonel of an uppity Illinois regiment to being the hero of the Union known as "Unconditional Surrender" Grant. Catton, as always, is an excellent writer who makes history come to life in his writing. The use of primary sources is for me the books greatest strength but also someti ...more
Ken
Jun 16, 2016 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A tad tedious just to chronicle the movement of Grant from St Louis to Vicksburg. The author provides a depth of detail that would be missing in other Civil War descriptions or biographies that tend to gloss over the details in deference to length and time. As with most Civil War era books it's fascinating to learn about the attitude to blacks. (At the time, no one used the term blacks. They were Negro's, slaves, mulattos, darkies and niggers)
Gmaharriet
May 23, 2016 Gmaharriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. It's the 2nd volume of a 3-part set on U.S. Grant and the first one taken over by Bruce Catton, and it has Catton's stamp of readability and a story-like quality. I found myself rooting for Grant as I would a fictional hero, even though I knew Grant would succeed. I usually find descriptions of battles to be boring, but Catton makes them exciting. Highly recommended!
Al
Mar 01, 2011 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wbts
Any book by Catton is worth reading and this was a fascinating look at the rise to prominance of U.S. Grant. This was a pleasure to read because of the style as well as the content. Catton describes the major actions which caused people to initially notice Grant. Not a hagiography, Catton explores Grant's weaknesses, as well.
Kathleen
Jun 16, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Bruce Canton, the author of "Grant Moves South," is a noted civil war historian. His writing style gives history life. Although I have read many biographies of Grant, Canton added much to my understanding and appreciation of the General. Reading Canton is pure pleasure.
Bill V
Sep 22, 2016 Bill V rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book. The author writes in an engaging style that's pleasant to read yet gives details. There are several detailed maps which allows the reader to follow what is going on.
Clayton
Nov 11, 2009 Clayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a long time, both on the Civil War as well as leadership. Diving right into Grant Takes Command (the "sequel')
Erik Graff
Jan 12, 2011 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
Reviewed under the rubric "Grant Series" of which this is the first of two volumes.
Ron
Feb 10, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography, war
If you want to see how U.S. Grant advanced from a minor role in Missouri to one of the great generals of the Union, start right here. As with every other Catton book the reader is never let down.
Fredrick Danysh
Part of Catton's epic story of the American Civil War. During the first half of the war, U.S. Grant served in the West in the Ohio and Mississippi valleys.
Kathy Inozarks
Jul 01, 2016 Kathy Inozarks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book-learned so much more about the civil war and also about Grant. I just purchased the first and third books in this series
Craig Dunstan
Jul 03, 2011 Craig Dunstan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I have already jumped into the final book in the series of three: Grant Takes Command.
Dick
Aug 09, 2008 Dick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Civil War history
Shelves: non-fiction
If you want to know about the Civil War, Catton is the guy.
Avis Black
Feb 27, 2008 Avis Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catton's classic 2-part study of Grant's generalship.

Sam Honeycutt
Sam Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
David Chapin
David Chapin rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Rangercab
Rangercab rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Clayton Brannon
Clayton Brannon rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Bruce Helmboldt
Bruce Helmboldt rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
  • George B. McClellan: The Young Napoleon
  • No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River
  • Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War
  • Lee's Lieutenants: A Study In Command, Volume III:  Gettysburg to Appomattox
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • The Passing of Armies: An Account of the Final Campaign of the Army of the Potomac
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • Nothing but Victory: The Army of the Tennessee, 1861-1865
  • That Devil Forrest
  • The Life of Billy Yank: The Common Soldier of the Union
  • High Tide at Gettysburg
  • The Road to Disunion: Volume I: Secessionists at Bay, 1776-1854
  • The Class of 1846: From West Point to Appomattox: Stonewall Jackson, George McClellan, and Their Brothers
  • The Destructive War: William Tecumseh Sherman, Stonewall Jackson, and the Americans
  • Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea
  • Gettysburg--The First Day
  • The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command
Catton was known as a narrative historian who specialized in popular histories that emphasized the colorful characters and vignettes of history, in addition to the simple dates, facts, and analysis. His works, although well-researched, were generally not presented in a rigorous academic style, supported by footnotes. In the long line of Civil War historians, Catton is arguably the most prolific an ...more
More about Bruce Catton...

Grant (3 books)