Start by marking “Lie or Die (Shelby Nichols #3)” as Want to Read:
Lie or Die (Shelby Nichols #3)

Lie or Die (Shelby Nichols #3)

Shelby has her hands full managing her new agency where she hopes to put her mind-reading skills to good use. Her first case to track down money stolen from a bank leads her into the lingerie business where nothing is as it appears. She also finds plenty to keep her busy with the police department and Detective Harris. But all that pales in comparison to what she must do ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 192 pages
Published September 4th 2013 (first published July 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lie or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lie or Die

Melissa
Aug 21, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
This book was fantastic! I think it's my favorite of the series. Shelby is learning how use her 'super power' with more finesse, and she's definitely getting smarter about how she reacts to the thoughts of others! I love how she handles the situations where people are thinking some nasty stuff about her, (even though they don't even know her!) and instead of getting mad she talks to the person and changes their opinion of her.

Shelby's man is in trouble, and it's time for her to take matters in t
Marsha
Nov 29, 2015 Marsha rated it it was amazing
"Lie or Die" is another great installment in the Shelby Nichols Adventure Series. This time Shelby takes on her first consulting job. It seems that a bank wants to recover the missing money from a bank robbery. Unfortunately, the private detective they hired, Robert Felt, feels Shelby is involved in illegal activities and refuses to leave her alone because his reputation is in the line and he wants the finder's fee.

Meanwhile, our favorite crime boss, Uncle Joey, the knife wants Shelby's help to
Tracy Trixy
Sep 16, 2014 Tracy Trixy rated it it was amazing
Am definitely hooked! As soon as if finished reading this I downloaded the rest of the series
Seriously loving the situations Shelby finds herself in and the others who are helping her!
We're starting to learn more about uncle Joeys organisation and his men, but he seems quite taken with our Shelby.. Not in a romantic way but family wise....
Liking the character 'Dimples' and I love that that's what Shelby calls him, glad he's still here in the story and hopefully he'll continue to be :)
Time
Alice
Sep 11, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 And still going strong

Absolutely great mystery series. And it is so nice to see the heroine and her husband in a loving relationship. One also grows fonder of Uncle Joey the mob boss and of course Ramos his bodyguard. The characters are quirky, lovable, and oh so human. The idea of a formerly normal housewife developing mind reading capacity and then getting shoehorned into helping a mob boss is brilliant. I am looking forward to reading the entire series.
Kimberly
Mar 04, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I requested to receive this book in exchange for a review through Audiobook Jukebox after having read and listened to the first two books in this, the Shelby Nichols Adventures, series by Colleen Helme. This series revolves around a housewife and mother of two who has acquired the "super power" to read minds. This ability, known by a very few, allows her to willingly help the police solve crimes and not-so-willingly help a local mob boss know who is loyal and who isn't. Someday soon, I suspect ...more
Erin Pascoe
Aug 21, 2012 Erin Pascoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Lie or Die” is a MUST READ!!!
I absolutely loved reading “Lie or Die” by Colleen Helme!!! I was impressed with the intricacies of the book, and was amazed by how everything turned out! There were so many twists and turns and I was kept guessing until the end. Shelby is such a great character! I’m happy she’s come into her own and can really use her mind reading ability to help others, and once again, get herself out of some sticky situations.
All of the characters are well-developed and consiste
Ginny  Gallagher
Jun 12, 2014 Ginny Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Lie or Die: A Shelby Nichols Adventure Book 3 is another fantastic adventure with Shelby, Chris, Uncle Joey (not really her uncle), Ramos, and detective Dimples (not his real name).

I adore the characters in this series. They are full of personality and spunk. Each character is continuing to develop and even when they get themselves into unbelievable situations they make it seem plausible. I would have a hard time picking a favorite character because I enjoy them all.

Shelby is finally embracing h
Nikki Wilde
Jan 10, 2013 Nikki Wilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It can't be easy knowing what everyone is thinking around you. Shelby Nichols knows the consequences all too well. The third book in her series has her rushing around trying to help everyone. What a busy stay at home mom between helping a bank manager find stolen money, helping "Uncle" Joey with his business, trying to keep her husband from being threatened at his job, helping the police, and still having time to pick up her children and plan a vacation is super impressive.

I think she's dealing
Kalleen
Aug 09, 2012 Kalleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better! This book begins with Shelby starting her new agency and looking to find the stolen money for which the bank has hired her. We get to see her in action, which is fun, humorous, and exciting. We also run into Uncle Joey, Dimples, and my favorite, Ramos. This book kept me guessing to the very end as to how Shelby was going to manage everything on her plate, and keep from getting killed. I loved how her relationship evolved with her husband Chris, mostly ...more
Laurie Franco
Sep 12, 2013 Laurie Franco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Vaguely reminiscent of the Stephanie Plum series, but Shelby is definitely a unique character in her own right! This was such a lighthearted book, and a quick and easy read. The only thing that probably could be better is the cover. Anyone (and I admit, at times I am guilty of this) who judges a book by its cover may make the mistake of passing this awesome book up, which would be a shame since its sooo great! If the cover were a bit more intriguing to look at, this would be a ...more
Elisa Hordon
Apr 28, 2016 Elisa Hordon rated it it was amazing
Lots more awesome adventure for Shelby and I love how she is coming more into her one with regards to her mind reading abilities and helping people also speaking her mind with uncle joey she really is coming out of her house wife shell and rocking it. Chris also surprised me more in this book he is coming around to lovingly accept Shelbys gift more and being more supportive even when she worries him sick...lol
Bob Woodyard
Jan 17, 2016 Bob Woodyard rated it really liked it
Just finished this morning. I enjoy this series of books. I'm a fan of books that add a small edge to normal life and make things different. The plot continued to build on hanging threads from previous books and the characters are still enjoyable overall.
Sue-Anne Silkes
Aug 26, 2012 Sue-Anne Silkes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series just keeps getting better. I love that Shelby is like every(wo)man. She's relatable, and believable. Colleen Helme is a superb author and I look forward to reading her other works!
Nancy
Oct 19, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
This was a free series of books. I enjoyed all of them. The main character hits her head, and when she comes to, she can read minds., and this gets her into a lot of trouble. She gets into working with one of the towns crime bosses, she also works for the police, the FBI, her husband's law firm, and for a local bank. In this book she has to work to save her husband's life, as he is working on a case that is in court, and people want the lawyer to lose the case. The crime boss has a soft spot for ...more
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
I received this book for free from Audiobook Jukebox in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

My Initial Reaction...
I continue to enjoy Shelby's adventures! Lie or Die was a bit more active detective work on Shelby's part than the others and I loved seeing her solve her cases!

The Narration...
Wendy Tremont King IS Shelby for me at this point. Her voice just matches the personality perfectly. Otherwise, she's an okay narrator. I'm
Amanda Hicks
Nov 17, 2016 Amanda Hicks rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
I think I am over Shelby Nichols. All of the books seem to follow the same basic outline and I really just do not care about her any longer.
Gaele
Aug 25, 2016 Gaele rated it really liked it
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration: 5 Story: 4

The third installment of Helme's series that features Shelby Nichols, Lie or Die, has Shelby in the middle of yet another kerfuffle...to our delight.

I’ve enjoyed this series mostly for the humor and the utterly honest and likable character of Shelby: if she were withholding or dishonest, or not truly invested in making things “right”, this story would not work as well. And, you have to appreciate her dedication to her husband Chris, and th
Rhonda
Jan 11, 2014 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I am still enjoying reading this series. Of the 4 so far I have read Trapped by revenge has more humor. This has a lot of the same elements that the other books have. Danger, mystery, humor, romance, good guys and bad guys (You have to like a few of the bad guys)a touch of paranormal, violence and a clean read.

Shelby in Carrots was shot in head and ever since she can read minds. It gets her into a lot of trouble when bad guys want to use her talents. Shelby was being forced to work with l
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
Shelby has her first big job as a consultant when the make who was robbed found out that she helps the police. She now has to try and find out who stole the money and the private investigator who was on the job before is not happy. He follows her everywhere trying to get in on the score as he wants his cut for finding the money.

Meanwhile, Chris is being threatened and the guy he is defending works for Uncle Joey some how and so Shelby is once again working with Uncle Joey. For once though she i
Jeanie Jackson
Nov 18, 2013 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it
The third book in the Shelby Nichols Adventures is even more exiting than the last. She has officially set up her consulting business, but she doesn't suspect that one of her first customers will be her husband. Something isn't right in Uncle Joey's world and she knows she will be pulled in to help with that, but when there is an overlap between his problems and the threat against her husband, she steps us with no hesitation even in the face of personal danger.

Humor makes the suspense bearable
Tere J
Apr 19, 2016 Tere J rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the series, and it had been a while since I read the 2nd one, and I really appreciated the way the author 'reminded' you of past characters. She did a fantastic job actually, because I've read a few series, and they all 're-tell' the story. She didn't. It was peppered along the way, and that was great! I am anxious to read #4 now, knowing it won't re-tell the stories I've read.

I was hesitant to read this one, thinking it would be the same as #2, because, well, our main pr
Denise
Apr 30, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
This book, 'Lie or Die' took me on quite a journey. So much is happening throughout the story that in turn, makes this a great read. I loved the storyline. Shelby is quite the lead. She has a great personality. I often thought that reading minds would be a great gift. Yet after reading this, I'm pretty sure it would become a curse for me. I had not read the book or books prior in this series, but I wasn't lost on the story as a whole. The array of characters throughout we're great. They all ...more
Melinda
Mar 14, 2015 Melinda rated it liked it
I like this series. I enjoy the light mystery, the humour and the characters. My only gripe with this book was the amount of times Shelby (our heroine) apologies to her husband for her "superpower". He seems to get angry or upset about her ability to hear thoughts, alot. And she seems to always be the one who apologies, makes up..etc. I understand it would be a "difficult situation" for both parties - but seriously by the end of the book, I was hoping Chris (husband) would be knocked on the head ...more
Betty
May 01, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lie or Die Another Visit With Shelby and friends. She is recovering from the robbery and has accepted a job from the bank to find the money. Meanwhile Chris is preparing for a major trial and the lead lawyer is attack and Chris must take his place. Shelby receives a call from Uncle Joey and she has to work for him again. The events are wove together skillfully for an exciting adventure.
Mary Schildman
Jun 06, 2014 Mary Schildman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrots #3

Third book (I think) in the Shelby Nichols series and just as great as the two before it and already have the next book in the series. Love all the characters, adventures and humorous to boot. I only had a fourth of the "mysteries" solved by the end, it had great twists.
Betty
May 01, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Sue
Sep 26, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Another great read with Shelby and her adventures...avoiding death and mahem the best she can. I can't help notice some likenesses here to another series I've read...and hope this character does not follow the same path.
Joyce Sanderson
Jul 29, 2015 Joyce Sanderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This was a clean suspenseful book. I have enjoyed the last 3 Shelby Nichols books and am looking forward to reading more in the series. It has everything you would want: suspense adventure romance and a whole lot more Read these books!!!!
Julie
Apr 22, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enough that I want to go immediately into the next book. I like how all the separate cases come together at the end and sometimes they are intertwined but not in a way that is too hard to believe.
Chris Yorgason
Aug 17, 2016 Chris Yorgason rated it liked it
Pretty good book. Clean, suspense story. The mind-reading angle is certainly a different take from other suspense novels, but I think the author handled it well. I thought it might have been a little better book with a little more detail, but the story keeps moving.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Lie or Die 1 2 Mar 06, 2013 03:19PM
  • Kissed
  • Birthright (Ivy Granger, #4)
  • In The Flesh (Soul, #2)
  • Next Move, You're Dead (Next Move, You're Dead, #1)
  • Charmed Again (Halloween LaVeau, #2)
  • The Fisherman's Daughter
  • Love You to Death
  • The Battle of the Frogs and the Mice: A Homeric Fable
  • The Education of Miss Patterson
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic #2)
  • Brave: The Junior Novelization
  • The Last Vampire (A Short Story)
  • Four Play (Cue Ball Mysteries,#4)
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Lost Souls (Caitlyn O’Connell, #2)
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • Graven with diamonds: the many lives of Thomas Wyatt : courtier, poet, assassin, spy
  • The Ambassador's Wife (Inspector Samuel Tay #1)
As the author of the Shelby Nichols Adventure Series, Colleen is often asked if Shelby Nichols is her alter-ego. “Definitely,” she says. “Shelby is the epitome of everything I wish I dared to be.” Known for her laugh since she was a kid, Colleen has always tried to find the humor in every situation and continues to enjoy writing about Shelby’s adventures. “I love getting Shelby into trouble…I just ...more
More about Colleen Helme...

Shelby Nichols (9 books)
  • Carrots (Shelby Nichols, #1)
  • Fast Money (Shelby Nichols #2)
  • Secrets That Kill (Shelby Nichols #4)
  • Trapped By Revenge (Shelby Nichols, #5)
  • Deep In Death (Shelby Nichols #6)
  • Crossing Danger (Shelby Nichols #7)
  • Devious Minds (Shelby Nichols #8)
  • Hidden Deception (Shelby Nichols #9)

“Of course, the way Ramos had acted probably made it seem like I was his girlfriend, but did they have to think I wasn’t his type? At all?” 2 likes