Start by marking “The Truth About Unicorns” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Unicorns

The Truth About Unicorns

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Today, most people consider them to be creatures of fantasy. But for centuries, the majestic one-horned beast called the unicorn was regarded with awe and respect throughout the world.
Published April 4th 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Unicorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Unicorns

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
192nd out of 252 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Loren
May 10, 2009 Loren rated it really liked it
My 5-year-old checked this out from the library because she fervently believes unicorns are real. I think she was hoping for some facts to back up her arguments. There's little of that here, but much information about Greek bestiaries, unicorn horn drinking cups, tapestries (although it ignores the tapestries at the Cluny Museum), and narwhals, rhinoceroses, and Ringling Brothers Circus. A very fun book.
Amy
Aug 10, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I borrowed from the library. I wanted solid proof that unicorns either do exist or did. I got a lot of information on unicorns in legends around the world, tapestries, paintings, narwhales, unicorn horn cups, thrones and the like.
The ten year old me freaking loved this book.
Julia Brumfield
May 04, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: cryptids, book
This was one of those beautiful books that I came across and fell in love with. There is history, there is fable and fantasy all combined in a book that is light enough to read while educational to an extent.

"The Truth About Unicorns" first takes you into a world where the history of this fabulous beast started then enters into what may have inspired it and the inspiration that it provided to many others. From there you get to see what led man to stick with it and then to slowly in the end whe
Kyla
Dec 25, 2013 Kyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Ah! I loved this book! I LOVE unicorns SOOO MUCH!!!! Makes sense, cause I love horses and magic... so it was inevitable!
It is a nonfiction book on unicorns... Now, I know you are dubious about that statement, but really. It charts where the idea of unicorns came from, what people thought of unicorns all over the world... unicorns in medicine, in hunting, etc. My favorite part was the chapter on the unicorn tapestries! :-) It is fun to see what a huge impact unicorns had on the world. :-)
Tasia
Published in 1991, this book's information is a bit outdated. For example, the text speculates that narwhals are in danger of extinction, but they are not. They're in danger of being endangered. Other than bits of misinformation, the history of the unicorn throughout the world's countries and cultures is fun reading.
Bethlynn Dolle
Nov 10, 2013 Bethlynn Dolle rated it really liked it
I used The Truth About Unicorns as one of my main resources for a research paper and presentation. This book includes the history of the unicorn, tales of the unicorn in different cultures, and ends with an explanation of a number of animals responsible for looking like a unicorn.
Nichole Davis
Oct 23, 2010 Nichole Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was enjoyable and an excellent reference for people studying the famous mythical beast. It explores all the variations of Unicorn and the culture that they belong to.
Sally
Jul 11, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
what a strange topic for a children's nonfiction book. he also wrote about thomas jefferson and benjamin franklin.
"aww look at the wittle puppie! She's SOOO CUTE!!"
Oct 28, 2008 "aww look at the wittle puppie! She's SOOO CUTE!!" rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like myths and ledgands!
I loved all the facts and pictures that they have!!!
Kathleen
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Tim Beers
Tim Beers rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Valleri
Valleri marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Tori  De
Tori De rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Ash Trotter
Ash Trotter marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Rhana Williams
Rhana Williams rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
Aug 11, 2015
Vonze (Yvonne)
Vonze (Yvonne) rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
M.l.d.
M.l.d. rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Katie V
Katie V rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
A Diaz
A Diaz rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born on July 8th, James Cross Giblin was, in his own words, "shy, bookish, and a little spoiled." He loved comic books and drew his own comic strips. Giblin worked on his school newspapers and wrote a play while he was at Western Reserve University. That play, My Bus Was Always Late, was published in 1954. He worked hard at writing plays, but disappointment followed.

After receiving his MFA in crea
More about James Cross Giblin...