Start by marking “The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)” as Want to Read:
The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)

The One You Feed (Shadow Tales)

Like most kids who grew up in the small town of Silver Falls, Toby Hoffman heard all the scary stories about monsters living in the neighboring woods of the Umatilla Indian Reservation. Now a teenager, he knows the tales are made up to keep the town’s children from wandering where they aren’t wanted.

Then his best friend, Nate, wakes up covered in blood in the reservation w
Published October 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The One You Feed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One You Feed

Nina Ivanova
Aug 25, 2015 Nina Ivanova rated it it was amazing

Full review/цялото ревю - click click

After-read thoughts:
Acording to the old tale, there are two wolves battling in everyone's soul - one made of hatred and fear, and the other of bravery and hope. And the one that wins is the one you feed. But when real monsters lurk around, mosnters fed on years long of hatred; the presonal choice of "which one you feed" may decide wether you'll become food or not.
In a way, I was right to compare this novel with a Goosebumps for it had a similar eeri
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Aug 13, 2015 Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
The premise of the story was rather creepy and mind-boggling. Something was out there, a monster or a beast, that was killing people and animals. And then there’s Toby, a teenage son who seemed to be battling depression after the accident that cost her mom’s life. As a kid, he had heard so many urban legends about the monster sightings and killings. And now that he’s grown up a bit, it made him wonder if any of those stories were true.

Then there was Nate and Rachel. Two mystifying figures, one w
Crystal
Feb 02, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
My Rant: The One You Feed was such an interesting story. From the beginning something weird is going on in this little town and the killing spree begins. But whats horrifying is that no body knows what , or who is doing it. What they do know is that this thing or person takes no prisoners and the gruesome scenes are more than what the towns people can endure. The main character Toby stole my heart in an innocent way. Toby was broken, he did not have any interest in existing. As a reader when you ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In The One You Feed, Toby has had a tough time ever since his Mom passed away in a car accident – while he was driving. He and his Dad try to get to terms with what happened, but it’s tough on both of them. Then a new girl arrives in town, Rachel, a Native American girl who originally lived in the nearby Umatilla Indian Reservation. Toby immediately feels attracted to Rachel. She’s anything like he imagined – she’s wi
Jessica
A small town. Stories about the monsters that lurk in the woods. Best friends, who become enemies. Does this perhaps sound familiar to you? If you're thinking that it sounds rather similar to a good old fashioned horror movie, you'd be right! The One You Feed made me feel like I was watching an 80's horror movie, and I'm not going to deny that I ate it up. Be prepared for some blood and gore.

Toby was my favorite character, hands down. We meet him at an extremely low point in his life, and are al
Melissa Burcham
Dec 11, 2015 Melissa Burcham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

Wow. What a great book! I had read book 2 in this series first. I loved it so much that I had to go back and pick up book 1. I am so glad I did. It was a great book. It also made book 2 make so much more sense because you know more about the characters and what they have been through up to the point book 2 starts. This is not a review on book 2 th
Lissette
Jan 17, 2014 Lissette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toby Hoffman has spent most of his life hearing the stories surrounding the 'monsters' living in the woods near Silver Falls. Though such stories are urban legends, recent unexpected killings make him question that very fact. Though he and the rest of the town aren't exactly sure as to what to make of the situation itself, he knows there has to be a plausible explanation for what's going on.

Immersing himself in his every day life, Toby starts to wonder as to what is going on. Who's causing the k
Ashley Tomlinson
Jan 01, 2016 Ashley Tomlinson rated it liked it
The beginning of this really hooked me and made me want to read more. I kind of figured out what the monster was before the book told me but that's because I read a lot of paranormal books so I tend to put things together quickly. Who doesn't like to read about things that go bump in the night? Or things that howl and rip you to shreds, that's cool too.

Toby and Nate are best friends. They're not the coolest of kids, in fact Nate has to do the jocks homework or face getting beat up. When Rachel
For the Love of Books
The character of teenage characters of the “The One You Feed”, in particular, Toby came across in a pretty realistic manner and the author, James Drummond, did a very good job of showing the internal struggles the misfits of the high school dealt with on a regular basis. Then the supernatural aspect of the story comes into play with brutal murders that appear to be the work of a mysterious beast that are part legend and part ghost story originating from the neighboring Umatilla Indian ...more
Jessica Bronder
Aug 20, 2015 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
Toby Hoffman has lived his life in Silver Falls and has grown up on the stories of monsters in the woods. Now he is a teenager and is suffering from the loss of someone close. But there are strange murders happening in town. Although Toby doesn’t want to, he decides that with the help of his friends Nate and Rachel he is going to put a stop to them.

Nate has his own things going on. He wakes up covered in blood with no memory. He seems to have obtained supernatural powers and he is quick to embra
Kiran Channa
Feb 05, 2016 Kiran Channa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read leaving you wanting more A great book, which I really enjoyed reading. It kept me on the edge of my seat in quite a few chapters. There were parts where I did not want things to happen the way they happened, giving the book a kind of reality to it. I felt that it had a strong lesson about power and the changes that occur in people in reality upon the acquisition of power and sometimes the kind of ending you get from the continued need to attain more.

I also like the title of the bo
E.M. MacCallum
A fun novel that was reminiscent of an 80's horror film. This is a gory book rife with horrific, if somewhat cheesy, scenes. James Drummond has a very quick and to-the-point way of writing a fight scene, which keeps it running.

I did enjoy Toby and Nate’s characters though Rachel as one of the main characters fell flat for me. The rest of the characters were mostly background noise so it was sometimes hard to care about them when something happened.

The plot sometimes wasn't very engaging and I w
M
Oct 02, 2013 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still in the middle of the book, but so far it's lots of fun. Alright, even with the bloodthirsty killings going on. It's a book about teenagers facing up to the monsters outside, while acknowledging that inside, they're not perfect people. In fact, they want their revenge for all the slights and getting picked on that they are suffering from the high school bullies. It's also about how these kids face up to their own faults. Their are some grown ups thrown into the mix, who also have to ...more
Kiran Channa
Feb 05, 2016 Kiran Channa rated it really liked it

Overall I enjoyed the book and look forward to reading the next one.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Sep 03, 2015 Fee (Ebook Addicts) rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this YA book. It was one of those scary supernatural books that had me hooked from the start.
Toby is still struggling with his mothers death, a new girl from the reservation comes to his school and something is happening to his best freind Nate.

With a wild beast killing people and Toby isthinking that Nate is somehow involved. This was scary to an extent and the author was great at describing the suspense and feeling of the characters.

This is a 4 stars for me, and I look forward
Dalene
First, I would like to thank the author James Drummond for giving me this book for an honest review. I enjoyed reading this story, I give it a three and a half. The main character Toby was well defined, some of the other characters could have been better developed. The world building was interesting. I look forward to seeing if we can get to know some of the other characters better in the series as it develops.
Kat Rocha
Fast paced and full of visceral action. “The One You Feed” is a unique take on the avenging Native American story for YA audiences. Fans of geek culture will enjoy some of the references Drummond sneaks in. This story is no salute to Team Jacob. A little rough in places when it came to establishing the main characters, but overall a very enjoyable read.
Amber Rose (Rose Reviews)
Feb 11, 2016 Amber Rose (Rose Reviews) rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
A supernatural tale that everyone questions. I loved that the characters didn't jump right onto the werewolf bandwagon, and instead there was a bunch of questioning and denial of the existence of supernatural beings. As frustrating as it was, it made the story more enjoyable. Some grammatical errors and confusion when it would switch between points of view, but other than that a very good read.
Penny Mccullough
Aug 12, 2014 Penny Mccullough rated it really liked it
Be careful who you're feeding..........

This book has a nice steady pace....

You never know who's going to be in trouble next!

I think this is a big hit for young adults!!!
I'm ready for ' Something Wiccan'!!!!

Lisa Norvell
Nov 01, 2014 Lisa Norvell rated it really liked it
Will read the next one

Enjoyed the book. It would probably make a good movie. The characters are vividly written and the plot kept my interest.
Jeanette Bland
Jeanette Bland rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Adrian Lupsa
Adrian Lupsa rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Erin Berlie
Erin Berlie rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Daniel Lawson
Daniel Lawson rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Claire Mabry
Claire Mabry rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Bill Davis
Bill Davis rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Lou
Jan 20, 2014 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review and rating to follow.
Cayt Landis
Cayt Landis rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Yash-er
Yash-er rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Billie Jo
Billie Jo rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Kindle Unlimited ...: Discover the Shadow Tales Series 1 4 Feb 04, 2016 08:01PM
  • The Darkness of Shadows
  • Lake Thirteen
  • Where the Dead Talk
  • Vigilance (Regina Shen #2)
  • Darlings of Decay
  • GAMELAND: Failsafe (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND, #2)
  • Cameo
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Cold Faith and Zombies
  • Ghost Island
  • Degeneration (Degeneration #1)
  • The Plague Within (Brier Hospital, #5)
  • Rocket Ship
  • The Strings of the Violin (The Hadariah Chronicles #1)
  • Apocalypstick
  • A Timely Curse
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • Rock-A-Bye Baby
James Drummond was born in Arlington Heights, IL and graduated from DePauw University with a bachelor's degree in English writing. A lifelong horror fan, he's attempting to put a new spin on familiar folklore with his Shadow Tales series. Today James lives in Chicago with his wife Angela and two cats named Tim and Suzette. During the day he is a Senior Instructional Designer for an e-learning ...more
More about James Drummond...

Shadow Tales (3 books)
  • Something Wiccan (Shadow Tales #2)
  • The Agreement (Shadow Tales #3)