Start by marking “Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings, #1)
Preview

Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  17 reviews
THE THRONE OF ENGLAND IS AT STAKE!

Anne of Stamford has long been the keeper of her mistress's secrets, but when Lady Joan marries the king's son, court life becomes ever more perilous. Sir Nicholas Lovayne has arrived to uncover the truth about Lady Joan's past, and Anne must do something—anything—to throw him off….

Longing to escape the intrigues at court, Nicholas hasn'
Published February 18th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets At Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets At Court

Elusive Hope by MaryLu TyndallShields of Pride by Elizabeth ChadwickA Race to Splendor by Ciji WareGirl on the Golden Coin by Marci JeffersonCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Little Drops of Sunrise
255th out of 261 books — 49 voters
Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenIn a Treacherous Court by Michelle DienerThe Dressmaker by Kate AlcottKeeper of the King's Secrets by Michelle DienerGilding the Lily by Rita Bradshaw
Why we don't dress like that? (Part 8)
79th out of 102 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Ruth
This was such a wonderful story that I didn't want it to end, and when it did, I was left with that horrible what-on-earth-can-I-read-now? feeling you get when you read a book which completely absorbs you. I had to set aside all the books I'd had lined up to read next, and choose something else, because nothing I'd selected was going to come anywhere near close to being a satisfying read after this one, which was provided by the publisher through netgalley.

This is a story set in the court of Edw
Ellen Parker
Is it possible for a prince to marry for love rather than political or financial gain?
Anne of Stamford, crippled since birth, is fortunate to be a lady-in-waiting to Lady Joan. For fifteen years she has lived with the court and held a secret capable of destroying the approaching royal marriage.
Nicholas Lovayne is valued for his skills in both war and peace. Now he has returned from presenting a petition to the Pope. Diplomats, clergy, and coin will enable the Prince to marry Lady Joan, regard
Harlequin Books
"Gifford peeks behind the scenes of royal weddings in the first of a duet and creates a solid, worthy read. Royals plus secrets plus impending exposure always equals drama of the highest order, and Gifford delivers with quiet flair when she pairs the countess' closet companion with the prince's enigmatic warrior. Gifford also succeeds in addressing the many challenges Anne faces with realism and respect." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Miniseries: Royal Weddings
eyes.2c
Explosive secrets and hesitant love!

1361. A tale of princes, love and discarded husbands. Secrets skulk in high places, surrounding annulled marriages and ecclesiastical decisions. The story of Joan of Kent, and her irregular marriages is witnessed through the eyes of her constant companion Anne, the lame daughter of Joan's former lady-in-waiting.
Anne of Stamford is the focus through which the fascinating woman who would become Prince Edward's wife is revealed. There is a deep mystery surroundi
Melanie Rigney
I happen to also be reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, which is in part told about the marriage of Isabella, sister of the king's son whose marriage to Lady Joan is a subplot in this book. Blythe's story helped the period come much more alive for me as a result. Heroines always have a flaw of some sort; they have to, because if they were perfect, they'd be boring. I liked what Blythe did with giving Anne a physical disability, an outer flaw, and having her be less than conventionally be ...more
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
3 1/2 Stars

Through a series of unfortunate incidents, the imperfect Anne of Stamford comes into the service of the ambitious and deceptive, Lady Joan, who is determined to wed Edward of Woodstock, the eldest son of the King of England. Anne knows she must do all Lady Joan bids for her well-being and for those around her even if she doesn't agree with what is going on around her. Loyalty always comes with a price.

Sir Nicholas Lovayne has spent most of his life in service with his sword and now he
Marie
I didn't have high hopes for this one. I mean, I found it on the clearance shelf, it's apart of a harlequin series and it's not particularly long. So I grabbed it as one of my generic romance novels I keep around for in between really long series, or when I'm needing something a little simpler to enjoy. And really, it was the pretty cover that drew me in.
I was pleasantly surprised. I actually, genuinely, liked both of the main characters. At no point did I want to slap them.
I'm definitely keepin
Farrah
A sweet romance filled with court drama, Secrets at Court was a lovely historical romance read. I really liked this book, from the romance, to the intrigue. It was a wonderful read.

I really liked Anne. She was very strong, in her own quiet way. I mean, she manages to live at court as a future queen's handmaiden, and she does it all with a crippled foot. She was very loyal and determined to be happy despite her disability. I thought she was great.

Nicholas was sweet. He was clever and determined a
Lizzie
It was ok, I have read better historical romances. But it was refreshing to read about a heroine with a disability. If you want to read more about Joan and the Black prince Edward I recommend The King's Concubine A Novel of Alice Perrers by Anne O'Brien. It is a bigger book but portrays Joan in a far more negative light. But it is a detailed interesting concept of Edward 3rd and Phillipa on Hainault ...more
Amy
Loved this medieval romance and enjoyed every moment of it. Really, really lovely.

Exciting with twists and turns right up until the very end. Leaves you wondering what really happened with Lady Joan and whether the marriage with Thomas was legit or not. And Nicholas Lovayne was a wonderful hero. Beautiful descriptions of the cathedral too and really brought to life the era of the Middle Ages.
L.D.
Mar 12, 2015 L.D. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical, Medieval Romance, 1361 era
A Blythe Gifford first for me!!! I'm glad I did!!! Meet Ann of Stamford and Sir Nicholas Lovayne. A wonderful change of pace!!
SuperWendy
I don't read a lot of medievals, but when I do I WANT a medieval. I felt the author did a nice job with her world-building and there was no mistaking this story as anything other than a medieval. Nice to see the importance of the Vatican addressed in this story, and I loved that the author gave us a disabled heroine without pitying her.
Beth Streeter
Quick read. Good story line. Ah the romance….swoon. ;)
Mary Jo Burke
Intrigue and romance are afoot in this excellent story!
Cynthia Fry
I appreciate the use of actual history with modern interpretation. The romance, with the exception of an abrupt about face, was realistic and did not feel forced. I wish the red hair bias was better explained though. as a historical fan I understand where it comes from, but it was completely lacking why the character felt she was unfashionable at best. I may look for other historically based novels from this author as I appreciated the research that went into the writing.
Sandy McCarthy
I won this novel in a contest! Full of historical fiction, gentle romance. LOVED it!!
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Royal Weddings
Paddy
Paddy marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Crystal S
Crystal S marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Heather Heal
Heather Heal marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After many years in public relations, advertising, and marketing, Blythe Gifford started writing seriously after a corporate layoff. Ten years and one layoff later, she became an overnight success when she sold her Romance Writers of America Golden Heart finalist manuscript to Harlequin.
She has since written medieval romances featuring characters born on the wrong side of the royal blanket. Now,
More about Blythe Gifford...

Royal Weddings (2 books)
  • Whispers at Court (Royal Weddings, #2)
In the Master's Bed The Harlot's Daughter His Border Bride Return of the Border Warrior Captive of the Border Lord