Start by marking “The Burden of Desire” as Want to Read:
The Burden of Desire

The Burden of Desire

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Former lovers become partners in Natalie Charles's new novel of the perfect crime…

On the eve of trial, prosecutor Sally Dawson has all the evidence she needs to convict a man of killing his wife—until the "victim" reappears. Now, alone and pregnant, to save her career she must trust the very man who broke her heart—her sworn enemy, Ben McNamara.

The case confounds Ben, a
Published March 4th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Burden of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burden of Desire

Kathy B. (Tx)
Mar 02, 2014 Kathy B. (Tx) rated it really liked it
Having worked in a law firm for many years, I was hooked into the book right away. Our heroine, Sally Dawson, is a prosecutor on the eve of the start of a murder trial. Things take a major wrong turn when the victim shows up very much alive. Things go from bad to worse when her former law school lover turns out to be the new hire in the office and has been assigned to review Sally’s entire file on this botched case.

Even though the “victim” is alive, someone was murdered, so Sally and Ben are fo
Susan
Overall a good book. Sally is about to begin one of the biggest trials of her career. She has been putting a lot of hours into her work on it. A few days before the trial is due to start, she is assigned a "helper" by her boss. Sally is a loner and doesn't want anyone's interference in her case, especially that of Ben, the new guy in the office. She and Ben knew each other in law school, where they had a brief relationship before he walked away breaking her heart.

Ben had had a good job as a cor
Pam
Mar 09, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Sally Dawson has it all- money, looks, a great job, and now a baby. What else does she need? Then things at work begin to tumble down from her mountain. The case she is working on for court is taking her many house so her boss decides she needs some help. Enter Ben McNamera with whom she had gone to law school, had an affair with, and who had broken her heart. She is suppose to work with him? Just as she is trying to come to grips with this turn of events, the murder victim in her case shows up ...more
Gina
Mar 06, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
Paula Legate
This book was about a murder trial. Sally had been working really long hours to prepare for the trial itself. Her boss sent a message to Sally stating he wanted to met with her. Sally enjoyed working alone. To her surprise, and shock there was another person in the office along with her boss for the meeting. It was Ben. She and Ben had dated a few times in law school. He broke her heart, and she never wanted to see him again. Ben always liked Sally, and felt bad with the way he treated her. He w ...more
Maria Elliott
Feb 25, 2014 Maria Elliott rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for a fair review. I absolutely loved the book. Ms. Charles' experience in the legal profession helped to make this book real, the story line kept you turning pages. I would recommend this book to all of you who enjoy a romance novel with the added mystery/suspense added. I look forward to reading her next book as well. Very refreshing to be able to read a romantic novel without it being x-rated. I would highly recommend this book.
Michelle
Mar 19, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading a book from Natalie Charles and I really enjoyed it. Because titles from Harlequin’s Romantic Suspense line aren’t my normal read, it was enjoyable to break out and read something a little different. Sally is a prosecutor on the verge of a murder trial but when her murder victim comes home alive, Sally’s case, and her world, fall apart. Ben is new to the DA’s office. Starting a new job can be pretty hard but his past with Sally affecting his work, he’s having a hard ...more
Dana Andrews
Aug 31, 2015 Dana Andrews rated it liked it
I have not read a Harlequin romance since I was in high school, a million years ago, and boy have they changed. The story was good with just the right amount of suspense. I was looking for something that was entertaining and an easy read. I got it. Went in with low expectations and boy was I surprised. This author writes other types of novels besides Harlequins and I will definitely check them out; plus, I will keep reading her Harlequin romances as well.
Dísir
I really wanted to like this book after reading the engaging blurb but it felt as though the depth of Ben's and Sally's relationship was compromised in favour of the action - which hovered on the side of ridiculous towards the end. I wasn't convinced of Ben's reformed behaviour and Sally's change of heart towards him wasn't entirely believable as well, which is unfortunate considering the great potential of these characters.
Marissa
Mar 21, 2014 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Autograph Copy

A husband sits in jail for the murder of his wife despite the lack of her dead body. As the court trial is about to proceed, the wife suddenly appears claiming that she had amnesia.

The prosecuting attorney is suspicious of the situation when she is paired up with an ex college flame they continue to investigate the situation despite the death threats. Will they survive their chemistry that they still have as they seek justice.

Is everything as it appears or what is it a l
Carrie Johnson
May 14, 2014 Carrie Johnson rated it it was amazing
Love reading her books. They are a great love story with suspense.
Ash
Oct 11, 2014 Ash rated it liked it
It was good but not very high on romance and suspense.
Scott Springer
Apr 10, 2014 Scott Springer rated it really liked it
I liked it
Rebecca H
Feb 19, 2014 Rebecca H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Great book. Loved reading it. Lots of suspense!!! Really recommend this book.
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 19, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Nidhi
Nidhi added it
Jun 22, 2015
Dena
Dena rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Keba
Keba marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Laura added it
Apr 11, 2015
Darlene Hodge
Darlene Hodge marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 20, 2015
Sigga Maja
Sigga Maja rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Amber Evans
Amber Evans rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Cathy Beckett
Cathy Beckett marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
  • Lethal Lies
  • Seduction Under Fire (Harlequin Romantic Suspense)
  • Her Secret, His Duty (The Adair Legacy, #1)
  • Millionaire's Last Stand (Small Town Scandals #1)
  • King's Ransom (Man on a Mission #2)
  • Soldier's Last Stand (H.O.T. Watch #6)
  • Executive Protection (The Adair Legacy, #2)
  • Risky Christmas: Holiday Secrets\Kidnapped at Christmas
  • Protecting His Princess
  • Carrying His Secret (The Adair Affairs #1)
  • Fearless
  • Nanny 911 (The Precinct: SWAT #4) (The Precinct #16)
  • Cowboy Behind the Badge (Sweetwater Ranch, #2)
Natalie Charles writes books for readers to escape in, alternating between thrilling romantic suspense and light contemporary romance. She has worked as an attorney, a playground supervisor, and a makeup sales clerk, but not in that order. The happy sufferer of a lifelong addiction to mystery novels, Natalie has, sadly, never out-sleuthed a detective. She is a RT Reviewers' Choice Award recipient ...more
More about Natalie Charles...