The Guardian's Promise

The Guardian's Promise

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Kingdom in Jeopardy

An evil queen and her royal guards will stop at nothing to find and kill the rightful heir to the throne of Judah. When their pursuit leads them to Mira's village, only her father's bond servant, Ari, a man shrouded in secrets, can keep Mira safe.

Abandoning his life as a temple guard and becoming an indentured servant was the only way Ari could protect...more
Published March 4th 2014 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian's Promise

John Hanscom
Maybe more, even as much as 4 1/2.

Very good for this genre, and pretty accurate. There were a couple items I will have to research. It is set in 835 B.C. Judah. The author has the woman protagonist wear a loincloth and chest bindings under her clothes. I had always been told underwear for both men and women, except for priests during rituals (and then, for modesty's sake) came MUCH, MUCH later. The story takes place at the end of the six years when Athaliah was Queen Regnant. The rebels, in hid...more
Lisa Belcastro
Compelling and rich story line. I found myself drawn into Mira's story right from the start. Christina Rich did a wonderful job of weaving in a fictional account of King Joash's early life, and the dangers believers faced under the brutal rule of Queen Athaliah. When Mira and Ari are on the run with young Joash, I couldn't put the book down. My heart was pounding as they raced through caves with traitors and Philistines determined to kill them all. Rich's writing is lyrical. I am so glad I disco...more
J.C.
I won this book in a giveaway and began reading it almost immediately. I had never before heard of this author, and was anxious to see how I'd like her work.
The story centers around a disfigured woman, Mira, and her father's bond-servant, Ari. As a girl Mira had been injured in a wild-dog attack and left scarred excessively from her hand all the way to her shoulder by the incident. Growing up with the disfigurement, Mira experiences rejection and disgust from others, whether it be potential sui...more
Lis K
This was only the second time I read a Biblical fiction book but it was a good one! Compared to a previous biblical fiction book I read, this author did an excellent job in establishing the era of the time. I thought her descriptions of the environment, the clothing, the food, and even the language made the story very realistic. This story is based on the Biblical account of young Joash, future king of Judah. It differs from the Bible in that Joash is raised in a village instead of the temple (t...more
Natalie
Rich in historical and sensory detail, this novel will transport you into the Old Testament times and leave you with a deep appreciation for the author’s research.

The volatile setting of Queen Athaliah’s reign is a thrilling backdrop for forbidden romance between Ari, an undercover Jewish temple guard disguised as a servant, and Mira, his master’s daughter.

Mira longs for Ari to rescue her from an arranged betrothal. Charged to protect the young King Joash, Ari is bound to a cause much bigger t...more
Jennifer Hallmark
The Guardian's Promise by Christina Rich is a well-written work of biblical/fiction romance. The descriptions were rich and helped you to get a picture in your mind of the places and people. One of my favorite lines is spoken by the boy, Joash.

"Besides," Joash continued, "if you fear our enemies, you place more trust in their abilities than God."

Awesome read. Don't miss this one...
Janis Kay
So, this is set in 835 BC. There are no Christians, yet, lol. I thought this was an interesting change of pace and -even though the history is very very stretched as the author remarks- I found the culture intriguing. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing another detailing Ari's brother Jesse and his own personal search:)
Katy Lee
Beautifully written. I've never read a Biblical Fiction book before and I'm so glad Christina Rich's book was my first. Not a flaw and very impressive writing, plus a sweet romantic story. I also gained a better appreciation for the Old Covenant and people who were chosen by God.
Walt
One of the most difficult things to do in historical fiction is to integrate real characters into a fictional story and make it believable. Ms. Rich does a wonderful job with this, and produces a wonderful story.
Heather Barnhart
Good read...loved how the author just dove right into the storyline w/out dragging you along first. Made for a quick read but engaging one. Loved the characters & setting (as always).
Rhonda Gibson
If you enjoy Biblical fiction you will love this book.
Kelly_Instalove
This was goood. Only one major plot point that bumped it from an A- to a B+ (smart heroine makes a not-so-smart decision that was telegraphed to the reader), but I *loved* the setting, characters and how the faith message was integral to the story.
Hafiza
Ugh
Simplistic, tedious
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Melody Phillips
Melody Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Kaylen Puckett
Kaylen Puckett marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Emily Bramblett
Emily Bramblett marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Warrior's Vow Love Inspired Historical March 2014 Bundle: Winning Over the Wrangler\Wolf Creek Homecoming\A Bride for the Baron\The Guardian's Promise Love Inspired Historical July 2014 Bundle: A Hero in the Making\Groom by Design\Second Chance Cinderella\The Warrior's Vow Love Inspired Historical July 2014 Bundle: A Hero in the Making\Groom by Design\Second Chance Cinderella\The Warrior's Vow