Start by marking “The Truth About Us (Mills Lake, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Us (Mills Lake, #1)

The Truth About Us (Mills Lake #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Twenty-one-year-old Sophia Ross has lived under the pressure of her parents expectations since the tragic accident that shattered their once perfect family. Determined to start over where no one knows her, she answers a housing ad on Craigslist and takes a job at a little bar in a town she has never heard of. All Sophia's looking for is a place to escape, somewhere she can ...more
Published November 12th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Us

Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~
DNF AT 31%

quit photo 8SMTo_zps2795bc3e.gif

Sophia is fed up and wants to start over. She is so sick of her life and her parents who want her to become a lawyer.

photo tumblr_mvoglp3L3O1ri325ao3_500_zps060161a8.gif

She moves away and answers a Craiglist ad and moves in with Tosh and Tobie who is a pregnant hippie (Tobie is, not Tosh, he's Tobie's Xbox playing boyfriend). She gets a job working at a bar and meets the hot Corbin....Corbin's drank POS dad owns the bar but Corbin runs it. Corbin is a ladies man and currently screwing Kayla who also works at the bar. Everything is ok
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*
This book wasn't for me, I didn't connect to any characters. The plot was very unoriginal.

The story was so flat that it took me almost 4days to finish.

I should've quit but I hate doing that...
Good luck to everyone else reading this!
Vanessa
**FULL REVIEW**

“…the thing about lying is that it always catches up. There is always that moment where I have to commit to it. Go all in or change my life.”

Tired of living the life that her parents have chosen for her, Sophia Ross decides that it’s time to make some life changing decisions. Moving to a small, crap-town, in the middle of nowhere; starting a job at a bar instead of finishing school and living with two of the most odd and adorable people, she could ever hope to meet…until she meet
Ena May - Swoon Worthy Books
“Those women, they have more power than any man I ever knew, I tell ya. Once you set eyes on the right one, you might as well be dead because your heart no longer beats for you, your world no longer spins on its’ own, your soul is wrapped up in that single gaze and handed over freely. Everything you do from that day forward, whether ya like it or not, will be for her; and her only. That’s what I call true power.”

I am going to try and do this book justice but WOW what a wonderful debut novel by
Tessa Teevan
4.5 Stars

The Truth About Us was a fantastic debut novel by TJ Hannah. I had no idea what to expect, but I was hooked from the very beginning. Told in dual POV (my absolute favorite!), we're able to get into the minds of both Sophia and Corbin, and it made for truly authentic storytelling that I just couldn't get enough of.

Something happened to turn Sophia's life upside down, causing her to run away and leave behind all she's known- the overbearing parents who seemed disappointed in her every mo
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
4.5/5 hearts!

Another break through debut novel from an amazingly talented writer! TJ Hannah has done an awesome job delivering us a book that will draw you in from page 1. So many wonderful characters, a storyline that will have you laughing hysterically and then turning around and crying like a baby. Every single one of them are intricate to the story and nothing written can be categorized as unnecessary.

Lead characters, Sophia Ross and Corbin Kasey, are so much more than just a boy and girl
Shannon (BookCrushin)
I don't know why but I did not connect with this book at all. I found myself skimming most of it and was sadly bored for the entire thing.
Sophia as a protagonist was written in a way that I as the reader was underwhelmed.
Huge parts of the story made no sense or were left under-explained. I still don't even understand (spoiler) how they hell her healthy teenage brother drowned. Was he drinking, I mean who walks into a lake and drowns? And how did Sophia get out there and then the cop had to cho
Daphnie's Bennett

The Truth About Us was intensity beautiful story of self discovery and unexpected love.

Sophia Ross is a 21 year student who has decide that she can no longer take the scrutiny of her parents. Sophia is hiding out in a small town as a bartender. She is trying to become a new Sophia, plaster on a smile and hide the pain that's inside, hide the lies she holds. The last thing on her mind is a relationship, until she meets Corbin.

Corbin has lived in the same place his entire life. A drunk for a fath
Brit
2.5 stars. I could not get into this book as much as try. I did not like the plot. their wasn't much building up to the story. the characters were lacking. and the author didnt go into much detail about the characters. I would not but the next book.
Gretchen Purgason

WOW! Such an amazing debut novel! The Truth About Us is on the surface about Secret
Amanda  "Xscape From Reality With A Book"
This is a story about 2 broken people finding one another and trying to make it work and letting the other inside.

Quick read, although it took me a little longer than other fast paced books. It is very detailed and thorough. I was confused at first about what exactly was going on with Sophia, but eventually we learned some of what she went through. I still have questions regarding what happened to her, like how did it happen exactly?

Sophia is running from her problems and runs away to a small po
Sheyla-
ARC received by author in exchange for an honest review.

Sophia is running away from her family and her old life. She has a secret that follows her, even in her dreams.
She moves into a tiny town to start over and she is ready to reinvent herself.

First, Sophia decides to answer a Craiglist add and ends up getting two roommates, Tobie and Tosh. They are a couple and they're expecting their first baby.
Then, she takes the position as a bartender in a little bar. Soon she meets Corbin Kasey and feels
preppea
Add one broken girl plus one guy with a hero complex and you either get one perfect couple or a recipe for disaster.

Sophia runs from her overbearing family after a terrible accident leaves her family pushing all their hopes and dreams onto her. Rejecting her parents’ overbearing aspirations for her future, she finds a small town where she can work as a bartender and try to figure out who the post-accident Sophia is.

Corbin has spent the last 6 years watching after his alcoholic father and hiding
Everything Marie
I enjoyed this book and it was an easy read. Finished it in about 2 days. I enjoyed all of the characters, especially Corbin, and I appreciated the character development along the way. The book grabbed me from the very beginning and at first, I thought this was a suspense novel, since Sophia was running away out of fear. Don't get me wrong, there was a little suspense, but it's mostly about young love. Sophia has some great dialogue in this story. She is intelligent, generous, enchanting, but al ...more
Crystal
Imagine a grief so life shattering that you can't cope, this is the life of Sophia. She feels pressured to live up to expectations that aren't what she wants in life. So when the going gets tough, Sophia just gets going. She's had enough of her parents, great expectations, and never feeling good enough. She'll make a life for herself elsewhere and open up to the great wide world.

Corbin was left behind. The sting of that and guilt of secrets he's kept has made him stay to keep an eye on his fathe
Melanie
A beautiful Debut Novel by TJ Hannah, looking into the history behind two people with troubled past that only know how to run or either protect those close to them from harm with secrets. This love story brings us a journey through an emotional rollercoaster of guilt, trauma, doubt and love.

What I loved about the story was it grabbed and captured me from chapter to chapter. After each chapter it always left me asking questions and wanting more to find out what the secrets that are being kept fr
Bridger Bitches
♥ ARC was provided in exchange for honest review ♥

Um, WOW!!! This book surprised the hell out of me. In all honesty, I never read the synopsis, loved the cover and it was recommended by someone who I trust. I did not expect to stay up late into the night in order to finish this book in one sitting. I just could not put it down. There was something about the characters that I just fell in love with. They felt like family or life long friends. I was totally and utterly vested in this story that I
Tbird London
How do you start over in life when guilt is your go to emotion? When running is the first solution you have when life becomes to much? That is what part of this story is about. It also dives into how you can lose yourself when you focus on others expectations for you and forget you had your own dreams. Two young adults, strapped in guilt and responsibilities that aren't even theirs to own, try to find out their new normal together.

Sophia finally finds the courage to leave her parents house and
Nicola
** Review for http://www.barenakedwords.co.uk/ **

‘ Truth About Us’ is the debut novel by up and coming Author TJ Hannah, and let me just say if this book is something to go by, then I really can’t wait to find out what other novels she’s got hiding up her sleeve.

“Do you ever feel like life has already passed you by? Like you’re dead in a sea of lies with nothing or no one around to talk to. No one who understands what it feels like to not be in control of a single facet of your life?”

Sofia, “s
Release Date: November 12th 2013
Print Length: 236 pages
Overall Rating: 4.5 STARS

Review:
The Truth About Us is about two broken people, Sophia and Corbin. Sophia struggles with the one day that changed the rest of her life. She suffers from night terrors and sever panic attacks because of what happened and what she saw.

Sophia is also tired of trying to please her parents by doing everything they
Derna ~ BiblioBelles

**** I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

The Truth About Us was a moving and touching love story. As I didn’t reread the synopsis before I started this book I did not know what to expect, and after the first two chapters I was hooked.

Sophia Ross and Corbin Kasey were such interesting and likable characters I was intrigued around the mystery that surrounding them both, and from the very beginning I wanted to know their story it was one of the reason I
Feisty Girls
~Meli's Review~

Sophia has run away from her life. All she wants to do is forget what happened but her parents and her dreams will never let her forget. So she decides she is ready to live a lie and move on, trying to be a “different” Sophia. She moves to a small town lives in a room she found on craigslist and decides to work at a bar.

While working there she meets Corbin, the bar owners son. To her there is something about Corbin that makes her want to stop living the lie and start telling the t
Obsession Is A Book - Terrie
(ARC received from author in exchange for an honest review)

The Truth About Us is a book of 2 people who have come together even though they are broken inside. It’s a story of self-discovery and unexpected love in the face of difficult times.

This is an easy read and I read it in one sitting.

Sophia is running away from her problems while Corbin is hiding from his by submerging himself in them. Although Sophia is running away from her problems she still shows a great deal of strength by standing up
Jaime Fiction Fangirls Book Reviews
This book hooked me from the very first pages and only continued to get better. I read this in one sitting and was sad to see it end. Then I found out that this was the authors debut novel and I was blown away.
Sophia is broken and tired. She just wants to forget her past and create a new life as a new person.
Corbin is full of secrets that he keeps locked deep inside that not even his sister or best friend know about. He's super protective of his sister Gaby and refuses to walk away from his abus
LivesandBreathesBookBlog
Let me start by saying that I found this book nearly unputdownable. I loved the flow, the characters, and though the storyline was slightly predictable, there were still a few twists I didn’t see coming.

Sophia is such a sad young lady, can barely go a minute without letting her past plague her thoughts. I hate it for her, but of course, there has to be a secret for the readers to want to get to the bottom of, right? She runs away from home, to start a new life in the middle of nowhere, resolving
Bound By Books Book Review
I loved book, I couldn't put it down. I just had to find out everyone's Truths. I loved the Characters in this book, everyone played an important role in the in the book. I did feel the was some unanswered question and unfinished business at the end of the book. I need more from TJ Hannah. This was a beautiful written story.

Read Daphnie's Full Review At Bound By Books Book Review

Evette
4.5 Stars
This book was amazing. The story was intense and beautiful. the sensitive material was written with honesty and heart. The main characters- Corbin and Sophia- oh they just broke my heart. Both having to deal with so much yet still reaching out to the one that calls to their heart and soul. Their passion and tender forays into this all consuming love are wonderful to read. Their fear and honesty were portrayed in such a way that I felt it and was rooting for them.
The entire Mills Lake co
Mayas
ARC review by Reading by the Book

I truly could not put this book down because I wanted to just know MORE.... Sophia and Corbin were two halves to a whole and I felt empathy from the beginning to the end of this story. What one was lacking from their life the other wished to have. It was an emotional rollercoaster but included the true meaning of "The Circle of Life". Everyone is connected in some shape or form while being worlds apart.

TJ Hannah touched on some key issues of life in this book an
Skjean67
Sophia running from her past life desperate to start a new one. starting her personality and a new town. She gets a job at the local bartender where she meets Courban. The town player an co ower of the bar. Courban an sophia has an almost instant connection that neither of them can explain. But the two are more connected then they realize.

The truth about us was a beautiful story about two lost souls that help each other find their way out of a dark path and into the light. I admit i was turned o
Naye
Truth about us

in all honesty I'm hoping that cobie and Sophia story continues I've their tragedy romance .... they help poo ed each other thru the pain and 'll get each other smiling with a little hiccup from the jealous chick is was messing with .. i wish we had more detail about the tragedy with Sophia and her brother but I had a pretty good imagination ..hopefully Gaby forgives cobie soon I'm sure she will understand it's hard to keep things from family and not expect the truth to come out th
  • Lie To Me (Sexual Misconduct Volume III)
  • Second Chance at Love (MacKenna Born & Bred, #1)
  • Destructive Release (Destructive, #3)
  • Forgiving Gia (Rocker Series, #2)
  • Never Let Go (Take My Hand, #4)
  • His (Hers, #5)
  • Stroke of Fear
  • Wrapped in Shadows
  • Take A Chance (Running Into Love, #1)
  • Shooting Star (Beautiful Chaos, #1)
  • Ripple: A Novel
  • Patience (Choices, #2.5)
  • Finding Forever (Living Again, #4)
  • A Long Goodbye (Southern Comfort, #1)
  • Breaking Shaun (Breaking Free, #2)
  • Flirting with Chaos (Crazy in Love, #1)
  • The Other Side of Someday (Carolina Days, #1)