Start by marking “Lovers for a Day: New and Collected Stories on Love” as Want to Read:
Lovers for a Day: New and Collected Stories on Love

Lovers for a Day: New and Collected Stories on Love

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Ivan Klima has been called a "Czech genius" by the Los Angeles Times Book Review. In these stories spanning his long career from the 1960s to the present, he gives us a gallery of people searching, in love, for escape: factory girls on their day off and assembly-line workers lost in Walter-Mittyesque fantasies; a young woman on a honeymoon with the man she did not marry; a ...more
Published October 9th 2000 by Grove Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lovers for a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovers for a Day

These twelve short stories are assembled in the chronological order in which they were written, from 1964 to 1994. Neither the style nor the themes changed much through the years. I liked the newer ones much better though: leaner and better for it. The stories are about couples, sharing something commonplace and not quite whole. The conversations (including two stories that are just dialogue) are so awkwardly shallow that they almost made me look away in embarassment. But I didn't, of course.

Haunting post-communist and modern stories, varied and unusual takes on love. This book seems well translated from the original Czech. Klíma is a master at retelling conversations between his lovers in that so little is said but the depth behind the words is the story itself. One feels overwhelmingly the despair even in love left in Eastern Europe. These are not Oprah's love stories for the faint of heart.
At the risk of sounding like the flighty girl in class who says, OMG IF YOU LIKE MAYA ANGELOU YOU'LL LOOOOVE TONI MORRISON, I say, if you found something to adore in Kundera---- Klima ought to be your next step. Here are tales that are beautiful, blunt and a bit heart-breaking. You'll read this one quickly.

The Ignorant & Simple Management
Apr 01, 2008 Sabrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
In general, I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but I picked this one up anyway. The first two were excruciating! I almost gave up, but after that they got much better, and I promptly finished. Although, I loathe the way he writes women, I would consider reading another one of his books.
Tara Rose
I read this for the first time in Prague. It's a bittersweet, almost melancholy little book of short stories on love and life, but each one has something poignant and familiar. Something you can't put down and can't forget.

That's probably why I'm reading it again!
I enjoyed the writing. I found it made me feel weary, which is perhaps how it felt to be in that particular area of the world. Made me feel helpless, like we are all just floating along in this world. Some of the stories will stick w/ me.
Nice collection for not so love stories. Excellent writing and a good read before bed. Perfect cozy down length of stories.
Hannah marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Calen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Sofiia added it
May 09, 2015
Sabah Awad
Sabah Awad marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Megan Moore
Megan Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
apoxie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Flowers marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Maha marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Gautam Patel
Gautam Patel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Calley is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Sana sivri
Sana sivri marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ivan Klíma (born 14 September 1931, Prague, born as Ivan Kauders) is a Czech novelist and playwright. He has received the Magnesia Litera Award and the Franz Kafka Prize, among other honors.

Klíma's early childhood in Prague was happy and uneventful, but this all changed with the German invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1938, after the Munich Agreement. He had been unaware that both his parents had Jew
More about Ivan Klíma...