If Animals Kissed Good Night

If Animals Kissed Good Night

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  35 reviews
If animals kissed
like we kiss good night,
Giraffe and his calf
would stretch their necks high
and kiss just beneath
the top of the sky.

In a cozy bedtime chat with her mom, a young girl wonders how animal families might say good night. Would Wolf and his pup “kiss and then HOWL”? Would Bear and her cub “kiss and then GROWL”? But what about Sloth and her baby? They move soooo sl...more
Board Book, 34 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published April 1st 2008)

Kathryn
Very cute illustrations, fun rhymes, and a variety of animals make this a winning bedtime read, one especially suited for Valentine's Day. I like the imagination behind the different settings, sounds, etc. the parent/baby animals would make with their goodnight kisses, and the ending illustration is especially adorable and ties in adorably with the author's note where she mentions she was inspired to write the book based on a little bedtime game she used to play with her own child.
Michael
This is an adorable book, with wonderfully simple drawings, vivid colors, fun rhyming, and a great bedtime theme. The fact that they mixed up all the genders - mommies, daddies, daughters, sons - perfected the experience for me. There is an hilarious recurring theme with the sloths because they take so long for their kiss. My kids and I love to say "sooooo slooooow" as low and as long as we can while describing how the sloths kiss good night. Fun and sleep-inducing!!
Meagan
One of my daughter's favorites!! It's so cute.
Shel
Paul, A.W. (2008). If Animals Kissed Goodnight. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

If Animals Kissed Goodnight shares the way a number of animals kiss goodnight. While some strict adults may frown upon all the anthropomorphized animals, there is still a lot of fun vocabulary words that toddlers and other youngins can learn from this text. Most of the text is structured into rhyming couplets, which works well.

As the story progresses, the sun sets, brining nighttime to the animals in the illustra...more
Valerie
Adorable! This is going to be my new go-to baby shower gift book. The illustrations are darling and the prose are beautiful, flowing, and poetic. I don't have kids and I kind of want a copy anyway :)
Joanna
Absolutely delightful from beginning to end. This book could easily become part of a good night ritual with my son---the mother softly describes different ways in which animals would kiss (sloth and her cub: sooooo slooowwwww...) as she tucks her small daughter into bed with an assortment of the very same animals. The illustrations are sweet lovely watercolors, the verse always rhymes without poetic license, the meter scans exactly as it should. Could not be better!
Alice
I was afraid this might be a lame, sappy goodnight book, but this was actually very CUTE! The pictures are lovely, and sloths...well the sloths are everywhere!! The rhythms and rhymes and onomatopoeia are excellent This is a very nice bed time story. I would rate it more a 3 1/2 but I am comfortable with a 4 stars as I did really like it and I don't hand out 5 very often.
Jo
Is it possible for a book to be too cute? This was so adorably sweet. A little girl and her mom wonder how animals would kiss good night if they kissed like us. The sloth and her cub, since they kiss so slow, end up kissing good night for the entire length of the book. Too funny. The illustrations are soft and bright and so cute.
Margaret
I love the illustrations, as I love David Walker from Bears on Chairs, but I'm not crazy about the words within. Not awful, but not fabulous either, just ok.
J-Lynn
A bedtime story for young readers that describes how animals would kiss their children good night. There are all sorts of animals in soft pastels. The cartoon depictions make the animals extra cute which young readers will love. A good way to teach animals too.
Sheri
Read this to study the poetry and the style of her text. Short text and lots of pictures. Lots of verbs to use and the pictures were big and round and childlike. Liked the story, too. Study her style as you read her Write Picture Books book.
Molly
This is one of those sappy books that people love to buy for other people. It is all about animals kissing and I wish I did not enjoy it but count me among the sappy. Animals should do this.... I now believe animals do do this. Ages Birth+
Jessie
This book has a pretty good rhyme to it. It shows lots of different animals and tells how they would kiss good night. It is a little long for my allmost 2 year old, but he does enjoy seeing the different animals.
Katie Casey
The funniest part about this book is that every time we got to a page with the sloths Micah wanted me to turn the book upside down because he thought they were not supposed to be upside down! ;-)
Denise
This could be used for family, bedtime and really anytime, themes are unneccesary for this one. I would use this for storytime and I think it's a great book to use one-on-one too.
Marisa
What if animals said goodnight -- would momma and baby sloth kiss soooo slooooow? Would giraffes stretch up high?
Super cute illustrations with lots of movement.
Polly
A cute addition to a zoo animals storytime for 2-year-olds--not about a zoo, but definitely these are mostly animals we only see in the zoo in North America.
Samantha
It is a cut book. The vocabulary is a little dense for a toddler, but I think they would understand the context of love and the different ways of kissing.
Kayla
This is a cute book to read a child before bed. It shows how different animals might kiss one another.
Sarah Anderson
Great book! A very sweet bedtime book or anytime for that matter. Great rhymes throughout the book.
Nicole
Super cute book to read before bed. My daughter loves reading this one every night!
Susan
Another cute book about kissing, but it features sloths with slow kisses!
Chrystal
Sweet book! Cute rhyme. A fun good-night book for little ones.
Jeremy
One of my daughter's favorite books to read before going to bed.
Mylisa
I liked it ok. Tim thought the repeating sloth joke was a crackup.
Gillian
Super sweet and I'm a sucker for a sloth joke, so there you have it.
Molly
A good choice for both baby programs and one-on-one parent reading.
Jennifer Barczak
It was okay for PJ storytime, not great.
Cindy
My granddaughter's favorite bedtime story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Manana, Iguana Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication Tortuga in Trouble Fiesta Fiasco Word Builder