Start by marking “Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation” as Want to Read:
Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation

Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson #3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Despite all attempts to avoid reading and extra work, Charlie Joe Jackson finds himself in a terrible dream he can’t wake up from: Camp Rituhbukkee (pronounced “read-a-bookie”)—a place filled with grammar workshops, Read-a-Ramas, and kids who actually like reading. But Charlie Joe is determined to convince the entire camp to hate reading and writing—one genius at a time.

To
Published May 6th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation

Ms. Yingling
Charlie has agreed to go to Camp Rituhbukkee (pronounced “read-a-bookie”) to make his parents happy. Camp is three weeks long and involves writing home, no electronics, and a ton of workshops on reading and writing. Luckily, one of his best friends from home, Katie, is at the camp, as is Naheem, who also goes to his school. The rest of the campers are relentlessly nerdy, and Charlie Joe immediately sets himself apart, annoying the camp director, Dr. Mal. Since he knows that getting kicked out of ...more
Barbara
When I first saw the words "Camp Rituhbukkee," the name of the summer camp for readers that Charlie Joe Jackson reluctantly attends, I laughed since it is pronounced "Read-A-Bookie." The story picks up right where the earlier one left off. While most of his friends are off relaxing, Charlie Joe and his own bookish friends Nareem and Katie are busy with grammar workshops and reading. Charlie Joe, of course, claims to have never read an entire book, and he and the camp director immediately butt he ...more
Raunak Amanna
The book Charlie Joe Jackson Guide to Summer Vacation is book that shows Charlie Joe Jackson- a kid hates reading, writing and anything that relates to school work- is forced to go to a nerdy camp to make his parents happy. He has to waste his whole summer at a Camp Rituhbukkee (pronounced “read-a-bookie”) were a bunch of nerds gather up and read and write and learn how become even smarter. Charlie thinks he is defiantly the coolest person there and wants to everyone more like him and teach them ...more
Hari
"Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation" by Timmy Greenwald is a book about Charlie Joe Jackson who decides to spend three weeks of his summer at Camp Rituhbukee to make his parents happy. When he arrives he is overwhelmed by all the book-loving nerds he is surround by. He decides his mission to be to help make all the kids there more like him, to hate books. His plan is going well but then Dr. Mal, the owner of the camp, decides to add an extra workshop to the schedule. Charlie Joe does ...more
Nickie
Thoroughly enjoying this series. Charlie Joe has done whatever it takes to avoid reading. But he now has to spend his summer vacation going to camp Read-A-Book-E ...The book starts off how you would expect, but it is done exceptionally well and remains interesting. CJJ has a gradual transformation, but unlike other books where the author just sells out his character for the greater good; The way Greenwald presented the story like seems like a totally acceptable and believable response to the sit ...more
Susie
Had a great time with this book. As with the first two, I listened to it on CD; it's the same narrator, and he does a great job. In some ways, I felt this was the best of the three. It has its convoluted parts (the closing ceremony at camp-- doubt that would really happen with parents there), but really not as many of Charlie's schemes as in books 1 & 2. You can fully appreciate this one without reading the first two.

Some of my favorite parts included the basketball game and Charlie Joe givi
Megan
This is the third book in author Tommy Greenwald's Charlie Joe Jackson series, and Charlie Joe is fast becoming a firm favourite, with me, and with my students. Despite Charlie Joe Jackson's best intentions, he is growing up into a fine young man! Previously, Charlie Joe has given us the Guide to Not Reading and the Guide to Extra Credits, both very entertaining and completely engaging. However, I think that Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation might be the best yet.

In a 'moment of we
Elizabeth Walls
I had another of the Charlie Joe Jackson books on a list and wanted to preview them for my 7 year old. I listened to this on audio book. Overall, it was a fun story and I liked the transformation of the character. I think it's probably more of an early junior high book. A little too much boyfriend/girlfriend stuff for the 7 year old! But we'll keep it in mind for the future, especially since he's of the anti-reading persuasion.
Connor Goodson
it was fair and it kept me interested. But I feel like it could be better. At the end it got really exciting but the beginning was definitely not as good as the end. I sure did like the topic on the book and the perspective of a boy who hates reading and writing is going to a camp full of brainiacs. I think the writing of the book was just sort of boring and doesn't catch my attention untill the end.
Jamie
This third book in the Charlie Joe Jackson series (Charlie Joe Jackson’s Guide to Not Reading, 2011, and Charlie Joe Jackson’s Guide to Extra Credit, 2012) is a winner. Entertaining, substantive, and endearing, Charlie Joe, in a moment of weakness, agrees to be sent to Camp Rituhbukkee (pronounced “Read-a-Bookie”). Once there, he will do anything to get the nerdy campers to be less nerdy, and more like him. Charlie Joe becomes an unlikely leader and it turns out he has more integrity than he tho ...more
jprang8
Charlie Joe Jackson is a normal troublemaker. Charlie Joe went to a Read and writing camp but he wants to change all those nerds into so called normal people like him. So he try's to change them but ends up changing himself. Read it for Yourself.

In my opinion this books theme is Find real self.
Jaime Leroy
After each book in this series, I find that I like Charlie a little more. His character is developing in a very natural way for a middle school boy. In this installment of the series, Charlie is sent to summer camp. Doesn’t sound too bad—but it isn’t a normal summer camp. It is a summer camp for learning, in other words, a camp for nerds. Sarcastic as always, Charlie tells his story in a humorous and relatable fashion. Charlie has developed into a boy beginning to find interest in girls and grow ...more
Mykaela
Charlie Joe Jackson, a boy in middle school, goes to Camp Rituhbukke (Read-A-Bookie) which is an educational summer camp! Charlie Joe Jackson is not a reader or a boy that enjoys anything about school! But now, he has to go to a educational summer camp for 3 WEEKS! Will he survive???
Karen
From the minute I saw the title of the first book in this series, Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading, I knew it would be a hit with kids and I was right. This series is spreading like wildfire in both of my classes. So when I had the opportunity to get the 3rd book, Guide to Summer Vacation, as a review copy at NCTE, I grabbed it!
What I like is that Greenwald continues to have Charlie Joe be a schemer and always getting in trouble, but as the books have progressed, so has Charlie Joe's s
Sharon
5th&up
Charlie Joe Jackson, eternal slacker and class clown, has somehow managed to get himself signed up for summer camp. Not just any summer camp, mind you...NERD CAMP! When dropped off at Camp Rituhbukkee ("read-a-bookie") Charlie is determined that instead of toeing the line- which would include lots of reading, writing and learning (shudder!), he's going to show his over achieving camp mates how to really live! Let the summer de-educating begin!
Greenwald's latest has an appealingly wry a
Jnase1
About the same as all the other CCJ books. Would like to see some permanent growth by the end of the story. This one showed more promise than the first two books at least. So there is hope.
Joanne
Listened in the car, and the reading actor is brilliant. Lots of great voices.

Story itself is fairly predictable -- cool kid goes to nerdy camp and learns about himself and others.

Anne
A good read-alike for Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans.
In this 3rd book of the series, Charlie Joe Jackson is off to summer camp. It should be fun - except that he is going to a reading camp, much to his chagrin. Luckily his friends Katie and Nareem are there, too, which helps him settle in. However, he decides that all the "nerds" should loosen up and become a bit more like him during the 3 weeks of camp.
Lots of humor and illustrations, but also pretty strong messages about reading and friendship.
Gail
My oldest gave this 4.5 stars. I like the premise of the Charlie Joe Jackson series ... kids reading through CJJ's dislike of reading is a fun way to poke fun while showing its advantages. Summer Reading? A Reading Camp, where they write letters and attend workshops? What's not to love?
Terrie
Charlie Joe Jackson is spending the next three weeks against his will at Camp Rituhbukkee (read-a-bookie), also known as Nerd Camp. Charlie's mission is to convince the entire camp to hate reading and writing so they can be cool kids like him.

This was a fun book about making the best of a bad situation, first love, standing up for what you believe in and camp life! When Charlie gets inspired by reading about Lech Walesa's rise to power in Poland, he discovers that reading can be beneficial as w
Lisa
Charlie Joe Jackson has agreed to go to Camp Rituhbukkee, a summer camp for kids who like to read and learn. Charlie decides on his first day at camp that he needs to teach these kids to be non-readers like him. Charlie Joe joins the newspaper staff, reads a book about Lech Walesa, and discovers he has more in common with these smart kids than he thought. This 3rd installment of the Charlie Joe series is just as fun as the others. Recommend this book to your Captain Underpants and Wimpy Kid love ...more
Kevin Smith
Ha Ha Ha Charlie joe Jackson is so funny.
Angela
Charlie Joe Jackson, self-proclaimed academic slacker, finds himself at a summer camp aimed at reading and writing! His original mission is to transform all the camp nerds into fun-loving anti-intellectuals like him. His plans go awry with humorous, unexpected, and beneficial results. His fellow campers are, of course, not the only ones that camp works changes on. I recommend this for reluctant readers, upper elementary and middle school readers, boys, and those who like (non-slapstick) humor.
Trent
its was a good book ^_^
Brenda Kahn
Charlie Joe Jackson is back in a third installment, this time he's fulfilling a promise to his parents and heading to nerd camp for three weeks. In author Greenwald's capable hands, Charlie Joe is fresher and funnier than ever. I can't think of a better way to spend a lovely spring morning than chuckling over this story: neither Charlie Joe nor Camp Rituhbukkee (read-a-bookie) will ever be the same.
Pia
Charlie joe is determined to go to a reading and writing camp. But, he hates to read and write with correct grammar and spelling. So, then charlie joe tries to make the nerds become like him a jerk. Then, at the end he actually finished reading a book and know how to write a well written letter.Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation is about fun, ignorance, and exciting.
Monique
This one didn't shine as brightly as the other ones did, although the premise was fantastic. I guess it was the writing. Before, I had no problem reading although for a younger crowd, but this time, it showed who this was targeted at. I cringed a little reading some of cheesy lines, but I love the relationship dynamics, and really root for a 4th one!
Samantha
I think I actually enjoyed this book more than the original. I think Charlie Joe really grows in this book, and I really enjoyed learning about Lech Walesa, someone I knew nothing about prior to reading this book. Recommended for readers and nonreaders alike!
Shannon
An obvious for those that read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
However fans of the Candy Apple Series, yes girls, will love this book too since CJJ is very interested in girls and gets the boys at camp interested in girls as much as reading. Will recommend to both!
Yvonne
This is the third book in the series and of the three I liked this one the best. A great book for reluctant readers, proud-to-be readers and I-don't-want-to-admit-I-like-to-read readers.

The publisher approved my request for a digital ARC of this title.
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • The Red Pencil
  • My Life as a Cartoonist
  • Randolph Caldecott: The Man Who Could Not Stop Drawing
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Kelsey Green, Reading Queen
  • The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • Tillie Pierce: Teen Eyewitness to the Battle of Gettysburg
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • Kinda Like Brothers
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night
  • Tom Thumb: The Remarkable True Story of a Man in Miniature
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  • Never Say Genius
  • Stick Dog
4194377
TOMMY GREENWALD has enjoyed reading all his life, which is why he's appalled that his kids Charlie, Joe and Jack, would prefer getting a dental check-up to checking out a book. After years of pleading, threatening, and bribing, Tommy finally decided the only way to get his kids to read was to write a book about how to get out of reading. This is the result. And they read it! (So they say.) The Exe ...more
More about Tommy Greenwald...

Charlie Joe Jackson (4 books)
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading (Charlie Joe Jackson, #1)
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit (Charlie Joe Jackson, #2)
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Making Money
Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading (Charlie Joe Jackson, #1) Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit (Charlie Joe Jackson, #2) Jack Strong Takes a Stand Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Making Money Katie Friedman Gives Up Texting! (And Lives to Tell About It.)