High as the Horses' Bridles: A Novel

High as the Horses' Bridles: A Novel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An urgent, electric debut novel about inheritance, belief, and a father and son divided by a dangerous prophecy

It’s 1980 at a crowded amphitheater in Queens, New York and a nervous Josiah Laudermilk, age 12, is about to step to the stage while thousands of believers wait to hear him, the boy preaching prodigy, pour forth. Suddenly, as if a switch had been flipped, Josiah’s...more
Published July 8th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co.

Ron Charles
If you were raised, as I was, in a small church with intense ideals at odds with mainstream culture, you can remember that awkward pressure to stand apart from the world and, as the Bible commands, be “separate.” There’s a price to be paid for that separateness, especially during those adolescent years of desperate belonging, but there are compensatory rewards, too. Some smug atheist might imagine that the devout live in a state of bovine credence, but for me — and for many people I know — faith...more
Chris Horne
I plan to re-read Scott Cheshire's debut novel, "High As the Horses' Bridles," and re-review it too. But I was so moved by it and so engrossed in it, I decided to write something now.

Full disclosure: Scott Cheshire's agent, Carrie Howland, of Donadio & Olsen, is a friend of mine, and she's been a guest at the Crossroads Writers Conference, which I co-founded in Macon, Georgia.

She sent me the book. But when she first asked if I'd be interested, I held my breath. I was scared to death it was...more
Shannon
At the age of twelve, Josiah Laudermilk testifies in front of his massive congregation in Queens, New York with the untempered belief that the apocalypse will come in the year 2000. Years later, with the apocalypse prediction behind him, recently divorced Josiah leaves his home in California to care for his father who has started to unravel after his mother’s death.

High as the Horses’ Bridles circles around faith, both its presence and absence, particularly in the face of illness and death. Desp...more
Monika
Originally posted on my blog, A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall:

High as the Horses' Bridles follows the Laudermilks, a family obsessed with the end of days. At the age of twelve and already known as a talented boy preacher, their only son, Josiah, stands before his church and shares an apocalyptic vision in which he declares that the end of days will occur in the year 2000. Not long after, Josie begins to doubt the validity of his own prophecy.

This novel is an interesting look into the high hopes a...more
Lisa
I received this Advance Reader Copy from the Early Reviewers program at LibraryThing. I have no idea (well, okay, I have some) about why I was so captivated by this book. The writer intersperses some pretty philosophical statements into the fictional story, something that can sometimes annoy me. But every time, they so closely resembled my own philosophies that it all rang true. This book is about a boy raised in a fundamentalist cult-like church, he himself being a prophesier from a young age....more
Becky
A friend gave me this advanced reader copy based on the title and cover. She thought it would be similar to The Son by Phillip Meyer, which I loved. I can see why she suspected it of being "western," but it isn't, not one bit. I liked the story of a father/son relationship colored by the father's religious devotion to a sect that has been predicting Armageddon for 200 years, but I found parts of it problematic. There seemed to be several major continuity errors, and sometimes the story, which is...more
Tobias
Structurally, I'm reminded of UNDERWORLD, albeit dealing with fundamentalist Christianity, visions, and what a belief in the certainty of the apocalypse will do to one's head.
Eddie
Totally engrossing. An un-sappy father/son/holy spirit relationship story that kicks off with a 12-year-old preacher predicting the end of days in a perfectly detailed Queens of 1980 (complete with milk carton kids). As interesting as that was, the story really picks up steam when the world doesn't end and the adult version of the child preacher has to come to terms with his loss of faith and complicated relationships with his father and ex-wife.

For the first time in my life I wanted a flight to...more
Debbie Maskus
The story begins with a bang and then quickly fizzles. A young boy preaches to a huge audience about the coming of the end of the world, and then the story cuts to the present and the disillusion of the now grown man. Josiah Laudermilk enters the story as a boy wonder, but returns home to care for his father as both men grapple with loss of faith. I lost my way in the story and never found the correct door to enjoy the book. I had difficulty with reading this novel, as many sentences made no sen...more
Hilary
Copy received through Goodreads’ First Reads program.

Some years ago, I was sitting in a class suffering through a particularly opaque European art film when the professor leaned over to my friend and said, “I already know I’m a dumb audience member. I don’t need this movie to tell me that.” I’ve thought of that moment often when I’ve encountered difficult movies or novels like this one, and although I really enjoyed a great deal of this novel - particularly its vivid, powerful, untethered writi...more
Olivia Hi
This book struck so many chords with me, it's hard to list them all. (But I will try.)

1. The language was gorgeous. Poetic, vivid, memorable and emotional. And it just carried me along through the story and inside Josiah's life.
2. There was so much to think about in terms of family culture and what things we inherit from our parents (and their parents and on and on). How our relationships with our parents change when we realize they aren't infallible.
3. The romantic relationships were so honest...more
Jordan
This is one of those books that after you finish it make you really wonder what you just read.

And for most books that's probably a negative but oddly enough it was this book's brilliance as a novel that made question this.

Looking back I'm not sure what I expected this book to be about but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this.

In all honesty it blew those expectations away.

This is a story that moves through time pretty freely. It's not linear in the perfect sense of the word. You glimpse time out of or...more
Fredrick Danysh
The story of a man's journey from a fundamentalist religious sect to reconciliation with his dying father. Bounces though time to chronicle events of his life. I had a little problem following the story line.
Gabrielle
I received a copy of this book free from the Good-Reads First-Reads program. A young boy named Josiah prepares for a speech which will change his life forever. Flash forward years later he comes back to that very same small town to take care of his dying father. The memories of that day come rushing back. The special bond he and his father shared about religion and prophecy. Such a captivating tale. Keeps you reading until the end.
Jean Benedict
I was on the fence whether I liked this book .The father son relationship was really interesting. there was a lot of jumping from past to present.I won this book from first reads.I can say that this book was quite different from what I usually read. It did keep me reading and I really did start to enjoy it towards the end.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Charity
Charity marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Angela Smith
Angela Smith marked it as to-read
Stephanie Anderson
Stephanie Anderson marked it as to-read
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀ marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Rahul Agarwal
Rahul Agarwal is currently reading it
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Kevin Valliere
Kevin Valliere is currently reading it
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Lauri
Lauri marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Scott Cheshire earned his MFA from Hunter College. He is the Interview Editor at the Tottenville Review, and teaches writing at the Sackett Street Writers' Workshop. His work has been published in Slice, AGNI, Guernica and the Picador anthology The Book of Men. His first novel High as the Horses' Bridles is forthcoming from Henry Holt. He lives in New York City.
More about Scott Cheshire...