Start by marking “Second Star” as Want to Read:
Second Star

Second Star

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,298 ratings  ·  398 reviews
A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly dra ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

The One by Kiera CassIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiCress by Marissa MeyerA Shard of Ice by Alivia AndersCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Beautiful Book Covers of 2014
42nd out of 239 books — 477 voters
The Art of Lainey by Paula StokesCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassWe Were Liars by E. LockhartAfter the End by Amy Plum
YA Books - Publishing May 2014
24th out of 79 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Obviously read for obvious reasons. :D

Second Star had a lovely beginning which set up the moody sunshiny vibe of California surf culture very well. This was followed by a rather dodgy middle bit, however, during which I was seething with all kinds of WENDY DARLING WOULD NOT DO THIS feelings. But but but. The last part won me over again, with a turn that wasn't entirely unexpected, but interesting all the same.

A bit more of a review to come at some point.
Blythe
Second Star could easily go by the title Bad Decisions: the novel. (The movie adaptation would inevitably feature Justin Bieber.) Because really, that's all the characters in this novel make--really, really bad decisions. A retelling of Peter Pan in which Wendy is caught up in a love triangle between Peter and Hook (or Pete and Jas, respectively) should be innovative and fresh, and it was honestly a huge reason why I was looking forward to reading Second Star so much. Unfortunately, the romance ...more
Giselle
May 09, 2014 Giselle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc, own
Peter Pan was my favourite cartoon as a child, I must have watched my video cassette (ha!) of it at least 40 times, so it's no surprise that I was giddy about this book. While I had some qualms with it, insta-love for instance - with not one but two boy (ick) - the magical aspect of it had me delighted. It's not the kind of read that captivates from the start, but rather a book that takes you by surprise as it grows into something completely magnetic.

Grieving from the loss of her brothers, Wend
Ash Wednesday
2 STARS
”Some of us have only ever found home when we’re on water. Some of us are always waiting for the next wave.”

My face was in a perpetual state of a frown while reading this book that I feel like sending the Botox bill to the publishers.

Seventeen year-old Wendy Darling has a bright future ahead of her who can’t seem to let go of a tragic past. Her brothers Michael and John went to surf one morning and never came home. Her parents and the police seem to have given up on the search but not
Summer the bummer
You'd think a novel set so very locally to me would instantly make it appealing. You'd think.

You'd think a novel with such a compelling blurb would call to me. It did. And boy, was I displeased.

I think I shall dissect that synopsis sentence by false sentence just for the fun of it.

"A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers."

Was the
Rose
Initial reaction: I can't type all my reaction to this via tablet, but I wish this had been better. It had good ideas, even had moments of compelling writing. But the cliches and ending ruined this for me.

Full review:

Alyssa B. Sheinmel's "Second Star" is one of those books that have the "great premise, lacking execution" tag fitting it to a tee. I actually thought this book had some great ideas and a very different, but a relevant imaging of Peter Pan. Making Peter into a surfer kid, Wendy into
Howdy YAL
To see full review click on one of the following links:

My blog with gifs

Just text-booklikes

Disclaimer: As far as I know there are no drugs on Neverland. Wonderland I can’t guarantee and Oz–well, we won’t even go on with what happens in Kansas. I’ll also say that I received Second Star from Netgalley and it obviously did not effect my opinion of this book.

Let’s face in, childhood classics can be bat shit crazy. As wholesome as Disney tries to make its movies there’s still some rather grotesque im
Nemo
This is where I thought this book would take me:

Instead it I guess it took me to the first star

It wasn't that this book was bad, it had some amazing descriptions and the plot was steady, but the ending was just so awful!

Wendy's twin brothers, John and Michael, disappear and she refuses to believe that they're really dead, since they never found the bodies. When she graduates she realizes she's losing her chance to find them and she goes on a trip to do just that when she meets a mysterious tal
Meg
Hey Wendy, we need to talk.

I’m a little bewildered here. How did you fuck this book up so bad? (Okay, okay, to be fair, it wasn’t entirely your fault, but, on second thought, the story is told through your eyes so actually it kind of is).

I don’t think you understand how significant it is that I disliked this book so much. Let me explain to you a thing, I was so. so. excited when I heard about Second Star. Peter Pan meets surfers, I love Peter Pan and I love surfers, loving this book is an easy j
Cait Grace
I doooon't know how to rate this. I'm literally torn. LITERALLY. Because on one hand, Peter Pan is my favourite story of all time. And then, while I loved reading Second Star because PETER PAN, I was a bit underwhelmed at the ending and the characters.

I mean, hello Peter?! Adorable, charming, conniving, childish and mischievous?
description
HE WAS NONE OF THOSE. The story is narrated by Wendy, who's looking for her twin brothers (John and Michael) who are missing. She meets Peter, who lives alone at the be
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

So I don't usually read contemporary Young Adult, but when I saw the description for Second Star I was instantly intrigued. My tastes typically run towards speculative fiction, but I figured a reimagining of Peter Pan, one of my favorite fairy tales, is still close enough to be in my comfort zone. Then I heard there was also going to be a Peter, Wendy and Hook love triangle in it and ... well, okay, my curiosity just got t
The Holy Terror
A modern-day reimagining of Wendy's story with a Peter Pan and Hook love triangle?

...

Um, how about ZOMG YES?!
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Second Star was a unique and imaginative contemporary retelling of Peter Pan told from the perspective of Wendy Darling. She has just graduated high school and her twin brothers John and Michael have been missing, presumed dead from a surfing accident six months ago.

California dreaming
As the story takes place on the California coast and not too far from where I live, I really felt drawn to this story even though I don't normally read contemporary books. Am I a surf girl, beach bunny? Oh heck no!
AH
Initial Thoughts: About 2.5 stars or thereabouts, still thinking about this. This is a modern day retelling of Peter Pan. In this one, Pete is a surfer dude and so are his gang of lost boys. They live to find the next big wave. Wendy is looking for her missing (and presumed dead) brothers, who were also surfer dudes. I found this a little slow however some of the references to the Peter Pan story were clever.

The Review: 2.0 stars
Peter Pan as a surfer dude?

Second Star is a modern day retelling o
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was received in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I love a good fairy-tale retelling as much as the next girl, but still I go into each one with some amount of trepidation. What if the author butchers one of my favorite characters from my childhood? What if the story is too close to the original to stand on its own? What if the story is so vastly different from the original story that it doesn't feel like a retellin
Alexis Blythe Sky
This is so hard for me because there was so much about the book I absolutely loved. I love the story of Peter Pan and this modern retelling had so much potential. I gave it three stars because of that. But the author failed in so many ways.
Wendy Darling's brothers are assumed dead by her family but not by Wendy. She goes in search of them only to find drifter surfers Petey and Belle and Jas (the drug dealer). She learns to surf and becomes acclimated with the world her brothers chose of her. She
Heather
Wow. Where to even begin with this book?!! I sat down to read it, and never got up. Read straight past my bed time, into the night, until turning the very last page. For me, the writing was absolutely enchanting and dreamlike--a fairy tale shimmering to life in a modern day retelling by the beach. By far, the most magical book I've read in a very long time.

Wendy Darling's world is shattered when her twin brothers go missing after going surfing and then never come back. Her parents are shells of
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
The synopsis for SECOND STAR promises “A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic,” but all I received was a contemporary book set by the ocean that does indeed include lies. The story itself is pretty much based on the lies the characters tell each other.

So here’s my summary of what the book is really about:

So let’s start with the love triangle (love square?) that doesn’t really add anything to the plot except more angs
Valerie Cole
First, you can never go wrong with a Peter Pan retelling in my book. I adored Jodi Lynn Anderson's TIGER LILY, so when I saw that SECOND STAR was Peter Pan set on the coast of California with surfer kids, I all but knocked down Fierce Reads door (Okay, no. I just requested on NetGalley, but whatever).

Alyssa B. Sheinmel did a fantastic job capturing the magic and adventure of surf culture, and drew some pretty awesome comparisons between those who don't follow a traditional academic path to colle
Tiffany
I absolutely loved this story!
The story is really dreamy, just like a fairy tale. I liked the fact that it was the "retailing" of Peter Pan but in a modern way.
This story is not just about romance, it's also about the love between siblings, friendship, confusion and betrayal.

Wendy: I really like her character. When she was searching for her missing brothers, with each hint she found, I could feel the hope right with her.

Pete: Brave and responsible. He is always taking care of everyone. Even th
Mariela
I am still trying to function what just happened. I am the one going crazy or the main character Wendy. Im still trying to understand what just happened. From the first few chapters I kind of figured there was going to be a twist at the end but I did not expect that to happen. To bad this is only a stand alone. But I still got questions that were not answered.
Danielle Campbell
Kristen Noel
Honestly, I had a hard time on picking which star bird rating to give this one. I settled on four, and I hope I can explain myself properly. I've noticed a lot of people have strong feelings about this book. Let me preface this review by staying that I have never read or watched anything about Peter Pan. I did skim over the Wikipedia page after reading this book, though.

This book was a crazy read for me. From the very first chapter, I was drawn in. It immediately had my attention. I think Alys
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
I'm not entirely sure where I stand with this book. I somewhat enjoyed reading it, yet it was incredibly problematic. I know that it kind of sounds silly for me to say this about a Peter Pan retelling of all things but I couldn't believe any of the event at all. It was so unrealistic, and not even in an intentional way. It was just a poorly constructed story.

Second Star runs on cliches and tropes. Wendy is the straight laced, straight A, good girl who probably hasn't even thought about doing any
Jaylia3
Peter Pan! It was by far my favorite childhood story, so when I discovered Second Star featuring a modern day Wendy I could not resist. In this update Peter Pan is just Pete, a former foster child and now a surfer who spends his days happily flying across the waves at a lovely secluded beach. He, his lost boys, and tiny but spirited Belle live by themselves in a dilapidated, long abandoned luxury home perched high atop the crumbling cliff that looms over the hidden cove where they surf.

Wendy is
Jennie Machines
I just loved this book to pieces. I picked it up last night and just happened to wake up early for work and finished it before then.

This book is a modern retelling of the Peter Pan story in which Pete, his lost boys, Belle and Jas (Captain Hook) are surfers. Wendy goes to stay in Kenzie with Pete as she searches for her missing brothers John and Michael. She sets aside her straight A student, college bound path to squat in an abandoned house to follow any lead to her brothers. The time away chan
Jenn
Peter Pan is one of my favorite Disney movies. I mean, I have a Peter Pan tattoo, so I'm not lying when I say I love it. A YA book that's a Peter Pan retelling? Sign me up!
description
Sheinmel has an interesting way of presenting these characters. Wendy is a girl looking for her missing brothers, John and Michael. Peter is a surfer boy she meets on her search. He lives with a bunch of runaway “lost” boys including one girl named Belle. Hook in this scenario is a drug dealer named Jas who pedals “star dust”.
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡
I feel like such a brat, but I couldn't finish this book either. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I thought it was a retelling of Peter Pan not a book about a group of homeless kids who steal from people in order to finance their surfing habit.

Plus, when the main character took a drug that she knew for a fact ruined people's lives, I knew I had to get out of there. This is not the book for me, and it wouldn't make sense for me to finish it.
Kimberly
I received this title for free from NetGalley for a fair and honest review.

Please see my full review of "Second Star" on my blog: http://thebusybookbelle.wordpress.com...
Susan (susayq ~)

I know I've seen Peter Pan, the movie. At least I'm fairly sure I have. I know I own the original book, honestly, I haven't read it though. However, I don't really remember the details of the story. Thankfully, this was a retelling and I could gloss over the fact that I don't remember the original :)

This just didn't do it for me. I don't care for love triangles and I also am not a fan of stories written in first person. I have to say though, my 14 year old daughter LOVED the book ;)

• Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • The Prince of Venice Beach
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Summer of Yesterday
  • Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend (Broken Hearts & Revenge, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Wild
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . . #2)
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • In Deep
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • Searching for Sky
  • Only Everything (True Love, #1)
  • The Lonesome Young
  • Underneath
  • Feather Bound
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
I was born in Stanford, California, and even though I moved across the country to New York when I was six years old, I still think of myself as a California girl.

Like so many writers, I grew up loving books. I loved stories so much that when there was nothing to read, I wrote my own stories just to give myself something to read. And when there was no pen and paper to be had, I made up stories and
More about Alyssa B. Sheinmel...
The Beautiful Between The Stone Girl The Lucky Kind Faceless The Haunting of Sunshine Girl