Start by marking “Sedition” as Want to Read:
Sedition

Sedition

A deliciously twisted and seductive historical tale of piano playing, passions, and female power

The setting of Sedition by Katharine Grant: London, 1794.

The problem: Four nouveau riche fathers with five marriageable daughters.

The plan: The young women will learn to play the piano, give a concert for young Englishmen who have titles but no fortunes, and will marry very well
Published April 1st 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sedition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sedition

Sparrow
Apr 09, 2014 Sparrow rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like historical fiction, Georgian Era Novels, and Music
** This Advanced Reader Copy was provided to me, free, by the publisher. It has in no way impacted the content of this review.**

- - -

I had so much hope for this book- it had been compared to the work of Sarah Waters, with the temperate of Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal. The Scotsman called it " Jane Austen on crack or Dickens sating himself at an orgy", and the words drummed up for it's editorials were "rowdy, wicked, lust, violence, lasciviousness"- these are strong descriptions, and if true,
Roman Clodia
Apr 04, 2017 Roman Clodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully sly and mischievous book which takes the bare bones of a nineteenth-century novel and gives them an audacious makeover. A group of mercantile families in 1794 London are keen to marry off their five daughters and so decide to have them give a musical concert to put them on public display and catch husbands. But with various plots afoot, the plan goes outrageously wrong...

Grant writes wonderfully but this is a darker, in places, read than some of the reviews indicate. At the
Althea Ann
Jan 15, 2014 Althea Ann rated it liked it
Well, this is a ... weird... book.
I can't really think of anything else I've read that I would compare it to. It's internally consistent, but the tone is a strange mix of humor, tragedy, and prurience.

Five young women - all the daughters of social climbers. Their parents concoct a scheme to have the girls present a musical concert, playing the newfangled pianoforte, in order to lure titled husbands.

To this end, a piano is acquired and a music master hired. However, due to the piano-seller's off
Kristen McDermott
Cleverly written but darkish satire on English social manners, in which a French music master is bribed into attempting to seduce five young pupils before the concert at which they are to be presented to their future husbands. Wicked humor alternates with pathos and a gothic intensity of emotion. Very hard to categorize, but intriguing and original.
Becky
A rather silly, but enjoyable enough bit of historic erotica here... this book is trying to channel all the bawdy goodness of great classics like Fanny Hill, Dangerous Liasions and Vanity Fair with a dash of The Crimson Petal thrown in for good measure. I don't think it manages the brilliance of any of these works, but it does create a story that is worth a few hours reading.
The story follows a group of girls out to catch themselves titled husbands; money is not an issue, but breeding will be s
Barb
Feb 27, 2014 Barb rated it did not like it
The promotional blurbs make this sound like a fabulous book, one of them compares Sedition to Sarah Water's Fingersmith. When I hear a book being compared to Fingersmith I think that means the writing is excellent and the story is amazing and I get all happy and excited thinking about the potential greatness of what I'm about to read. It's always after I read the book that was compared to Fingersmith that I remember what they really mean when they compare something to Fingersmith (the story has ...more
Katy Noyes
May 05, 2014 Katy Noyes rated it it was amazing
Delightfully amoral, a wicked tale of seduction that channels both Les Liaisons Dangereuses and The Piano.

Several 'new money' families decide to showcase their daughters in the marriage market by purchasing a top-notch pianoforte and training up their girls to perform for nobility. Instrument-maker Cantabile is affronted by the idea of untrained and clumsy girls touching his handmade piece of art. He sends Monsiuer Belladroit to the families, ostensibly as their instructor. But really to seduce
Snoakes
Apr 24, 2014 Snoakes rated it liked it
I would never have read Sedition if it weren't on the Desmond Elliott longlist - it just didn't sound my kind of thing. And now I've read it, I'm not sure what sort of a thing it is. It's not a satire, or a farce as it's just not funny and it's definitely not sexy. I'm the last person who would say that a novel should be instantly classifiable, and I usually enjoy something a bit different, but this is just decidedly odd. There are too many similar characters - with five sets of businessmen, wiv ...more
Sarah u
In London in 1794, four fathers buy a pianoforte for their five daughters, who are to give a concert to attract titled husbands. Let the mayhem begin....

This book was not what I was expecting when I read the blurb in the bookshop. It is dark, deceptive, and quite creepy, yet at the same time it is beautifully written, humorous in places, and exciting. It might not suit everyone, but this week it suited me perfectly.

Trigger / content warnings:
(view spoiler)
Apr 25, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This has got to be one of the strangest and most unsettling books I've ever read. In the edgy, offbeat historical fiction genre that I so love, I would compare it most to Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, but this one is far more disquieting and not near as satisfying. This is hard to rate; I loved aspects of it, and the writing is sharp and wonderful, but at the same time it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I think with a less jarring final section I would have really loved this.
Renita D'Silva
Feb 07, 2015 Renita D'Silva rated it it was amazing
Loved this wonderful, funny yet poignant and above all very entertaining book. A delightful read.
Lawrence Hogue
Oct 17, 2014 Lawrence Hogue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, right up until the end, when I didn't (which means I wish I could give it 4.5 stars). The plot involving four bourgeois families in late 18th-century London out to marry their five daughters into the nobility is a brilliant skewering of economic marriage and the type of romance novel that celebrates it. "Jane Austen on crack," as one reviewer put it, is a good description, although LSD might have been a better drug of choice.

Grant's writing is crisp, the narrative economical,
Stephen Goldenberg
Nov 02, 2014 Stephen Goldenberg rated it liked it
My main reservation about a lot of historical novels is that the writers have often done so much research that the novel becomes so stuffed with period detail that the story gets swamped and I feel I'd be better off reading a non-fiction account. That's not the case with this novel. There's just enough background to give you a sense of London in 1794 -and, in particular, the effects of French Revolution hovering over everything. The beginnings of the industrial revolution and the shift of power ...more
Alice O'neill
Feb 03, 2014 Alice O'neill rated it really liked it
This book is not about sex, though there's plenty of it, often hilarious, occasionally not. Sex is the pepper and salt atop the meat pie. This book is about power. It's uses and abuses and the many shades inbetween; keeping it, loosing it, aspiring to it, wielding it. Brought down and sent up by it (the denouement, a poke in the ribs at'Big Brother' type celebrity), a masterpiece and one of the funniest descriptions I've ever read, I'm still laughing. The power of love and the power of tyranny. ...more
Harriet
"This man was French. She felt quite flustered. He must be a catholic, and probably part of the nonsense going on over the sea ... Mrs Frogmorton stood straight. She understood at once that she was being charmed. This is what foreigners did. She resented it."

It would have been hard not to read this book about London and the anticipation during the French Revolution and not draw parallels to today's political happenings.

The fear of the foreigner and the unspoken truths about sex are what push
Helen
Sep 09, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was a weird one! I really don't know how to rate it or what to say. The author, in her notes, says she gave it to her 92 year old father to read and he promptly developed shingles and retired to his bed. I can't imagine giving this to my father to read, and that must be a first as I take books to him on a weekly basis and never apply any prudence to my choices.

So, five girls and one French music teacher. Chuck in a girl with a facial deformity, some particularly horrible parents and a
Debbie Ballard
Dec 11, 2013 Debbie Ballard rated it it was amazing
I received a wonderfully written story with engrossing characters ARC goodreads giveaway Sedition: A Novel by Katherine Grant.
Four fathers get together and come up with the perfect plan to marry off their daughters, a piano concert performance. Mr. Drigg's purchases a pianoforte from Mr. Cantabile who recommends Monsieur Belldroit. The instructor, Monsieur Belldroit, doesn't only want to help the young ladies with their pianoforte lessons.
Read the captivating, entertaining, humorous, engaging c
Krista
Feb 26, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing
London, 1791, In order to marry off their daughters to titled gentry, four nouveau riche fathers organise for their daughters to learn the piano and to give a recital. The fathers might want one thing, but their daughters have their own agency which subverts the plan and drives the story. Grant fascinatingly takes measure of her characters by their appreciation and execution of “Herr Bach’s" music. In her wickedly alluring romp through late Georgian London’s love and marriage market, Grant tips ...more
Cat
May 05, 2014 Cat rated it it was amazing
What a riot! This novel takes place in the late 1700's, and I never heard a version of the young teenage girl of that era depicted like this before. The novelist has been writing children's and young adult stories for years and is well respected. It was a lot of fun and I read it pretty darn fast!
Karen
Nov 05, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It didn't work for me. Compared on the back cover to Sarah Waters - in my mind the comparison is an unfavourable one.
Denise
Dec 05, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Seduction, music and calculation in 1794 London: a slow-paced but entertaining historical novel full of lasciviousness and delightfully devoid of moral hang-ups.
Lauren James
Dec 16, 2014 Lauren James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was brilliantly, ridiculously mad. This book is the exact definition of a wild ride from start to finish.
Aimee
Sep 13, 2015 Aimee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tina
Mar 26, 2014 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Sedition by Katharine Grant is taking place in London in 1794. Five young women, Marianne, Evarina, Georgiana, Harriet and Alathea are to give a concert with the sole purpose of attracting suitors so that their parents can see them well married, even the daughters that are not exactly blessed with neither looks nor personality. Mr. Driggs, the father of Marianne and Evarina, buys a pianoforte for this purpose from the pianoforte makers daughter, Annie. The pianoforte maker didn't want to sell th ...more
Jaz
Lady♥Belleza★✰
This book was sent to me for review.

The setting is 1794 London. Four fathers with five daughters between them. The men are rich but have no titles, therefore they want their daughters to marry young Englishmen with titles and no money. They then come up with the idea of having a concert to display their daughters charms, this requires the purchase of a pianoforte and hiring of a teacher and that is where the father’s plans start to go awry.

One of the father’s goes to purchase a pianoforte, from
Cassandra
Jul 30, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was ok
I was so excited to get this book from the Early Reviewer program over on LibraryThing, and then it took me this long to read it (whoops), so I can hardly call this review Early any more, but let me tell you why:

I just. Didn't. Like it.

I can't tell if it's that there's far too much going on in the story (which there was) or if it was just a lack of a cohesive idea underpinning it all but it was tiresome to get through. It's taken me since April to get through the book because I kept picking it u
BookPage
Seduction and schemes from the pianoforte seat
BookPage® Review by Amy Scribner

To marry their daughters off, four social-climbing men in 1790s London hatch a plot: Buy a pianoforte (the au courant instrument of the late 18th century) and have them give a concert that will have noblemen lined up for their hands in marriage.

The ladies are as varied as their fathers are ambitious: emaciated Georgiana; Everina with her unfortunate false teeth; mysterious Alathea; and the Brass sisters, practical Harr
Wendy Armstrong
Aug 28, 2015 Wendy Armstrong rated it liked it
This is very strange. None of the characters is particularly sympathetic or memorable and it's not a book I'll be thinking about much after reading, but I read it quickly and there was something propulsive about it.. Best taken in the spirit of a bawdy Georgian romp, I think - the events are too unlikely and slapstick otherwise. People have mentioned Sarah Waters but this one isn't aiming for the realism of SW, although it has lots of good historical detail on social mores/costume/setting etc. I ...more
Bibliothekerin
how to catch a husband, London, 1794 1 4 Jan 10, 2015 12:09AM
  • Grace Hammer : a Novel of the Victorian Underworld
  • The Shadow Catcher (Daughters of Eden Trilogy #1)
  • The Boleyn Reckoning (The Boleyn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Hog's Back Mystery
  • The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History
  • Odysseus Abroad
  • The Widow and Her Hero
  • Beirut Noir
  • A Divided Inheritance
  • The Middle Ages
  • The Infidel Stain (The Blake and Avery Mystery Series #2)
  • The Eyes of Venice
  • Meet Me Halfway: Milwaukee Stories
  • The Streets
  • The First of July
  • The Flower Boy
  • Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy
  • Father of Lies
Katharine Grant was born into a family described by Lord Burghley, Treasurer to Elizabeth 1st, as of ‘more than usual perversity’ for clinging to their Catholic faith, an act, during the Reformation, of blatant sedition. In 1746 her five times great uncle, Francis Towneley, supported Bonnie Prince Charlie, and, as a result, was the last person in the UK to be hanged, drawn and quartered. His head ...more
More about Katharine Grant...