Start by marking “This One Summer” as Want to Read:
This One Summer

This One Summer

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  30,652 Ratings  ·  3,404 Reviews
Every summer, Rose goes with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different. Rose's mom and dad won't stop fighting, and when Rose and Windy seek a distraction from the drama, they find themselves with a whole new set of problems. ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about This One Summer, please sign up.

Sheri Levasseur I think middle graders will decide for themselves whether they are ready for this book of not. There is definitely adult content in it..but through…moreI think middle graders will decide for themselves whether they are ready for this book of not. There is definitely adult content in it..but through the eyes of a young teen, with some innocence.

I think many young teens will identify with and welcome a sense of how other teens see the adult world.

I have seen teens put down books like this, because they weren't ready for this kind of content. I have seen others eat it up because they so badly crave even literal contact with other teen perspectives similar to their own developing understanding of their adult world. This is an important book for that reason and belongs on the shelf of YA collections. Lots of opportunities for discussion with this book. There is no real plot...no real ending..just a summer memoir..that's it. It's enough.(less)

Leigh Bardugo
Feb 20, 2015 Leigh Bardugo rated it it was amazing
I rarely write GR reviews, but I almost didn't pick this up because of some of the reviews I've seen, so I wanted to add my five stars.

This is a quiet book. Much of the action is observed rather than experienced by the protagonists, but the impact it has on them is deeply felt. If you're looking for grand resolutions or "boy did I learn my lesson" closure, you won't find it here. And that's exactly as it should be.

This One Summer beautifully and poignantly captures a particular moment in girlh
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 30, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
A very low-key, beautiful story with amazing artwork. Also very Canadian.
Lola  Reviewer
There is almost nothing that I would have found enjoyable about this story, if it weren't for the beautiful graphics that brought it to life.

description

Which is weird, because drawings are something I find quite agreeable to look at and, in graphic novels, it’s usually the only thing that I really demand, along with a passable to good plot.

But there was no plot in this.

Rose and her parents, as every summer since a young age, are spending the season at Awago, where there are beaches, fresh air and where she
Hannah Messler
Jul 18, 2014 Hannah Messler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The huge bummer of the graphic novel is that someone labors for ages over their creation and then you sit down with your pint of Chubby Hubby and make mincemeat of the both of them within the hour. I always feel a little awful about it, and this is probably the kind of thing the French have a word for--the sorrow of beauty’s brevity.
Anyway it’s hard to imagine a [French-word-for-the-sorrow-of-beauty’s-brevity] more hollowing than the end of summer. Those last days of August nearly slaughtered me
Natalie
Mar 26, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
description

This story follows Rose's yearly summer trip with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different.

This One Summer felt like a great summer read. And even though the plot wasn’t the most exciting, it still kept me flipping page after page. Plus, the friendship and banter between the two main characters added some needed humor to the story.

(Windy’s dance
Steph Sinclair
This One Summer is worth a read for the breathtaking artwork alone. Check it out:

photo IMG_0820_zps4af8707c.jpg

Unfortunately, the story didn’t do much for me. I really liked the idea of a summer of firsts and lessons, but when it was all said and done, I don’t really think the main character learned anything. There’s some slut-shamming done and she never understood why it wasn’t okay to say certain things. Though her friend did correct her a few times, she seemed to just write it off. The book also never felt like it actuall
First Second Books
Jun 12, 2014 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
Possibly my favorite thing about this book is that it is blue.

I mean, I love the plot and the characters and how the problems of growing up are presented and then not easily resolved like tying a bow; I love that there are parents who have their own problems; I love that the dialogue is spare and meaningful and that the art is gorgeous.

This One Summer is a wonderful book.

But I love that Mariko and Jillian made the creative leap to think of this book in another color -- this book was not drawn in
Ariel
Jun 05, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it
This was a tiny bit of a disappointment :(

The thing about graphic novels is that you have TWO giant elements: the writing AND the art.

The art in this book was phenomenal. Absolutely wonderful. I have not a single complaint. There was a giant combination of different types of panels - squares, rectangles, splash pages.. and all of them were gorgeous. And it was all purple! I loved that it was all purple. Very moody and lovely.

The writing/story, however.. meh :( It felt a little boring, and not fo
Elyse
Oct 16, 2015 Elyse rated it it was amazing
The marriage between the story & the graphics are a beautiful relationship!!!
You couldn't have the graphics without the story, and you couldn't have this story without the graphics.

The story is bittersweet, powerful, charming, and sad.....a coming of age young adult gorgeous graphic......dealing with real issues. Two young girls are dealing with their own set of problems while adults in their lives are also struggling.
Lots of details hidden in the graphics..... truthful expressions built i
Etnik
Jul 26, 2015 Etnik rated it did not like it
Me the whole time:

Full review to come!
Blue
Jul 05, 2014 Blue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has said it. I concur, the art is superb.

What I don't understand is how people thought nothing happened in the book... Hmmm, I suppose things didn't blow up, and there were no car chases, and true there were no explicit sex scenes. So nothing like that happened, I agree. But a lot of things that may seem insignificant to adults or to anyone other than the few children, teenagers, adults involved in the story happened. A lot happened in their lives. Perhaps people have forgotten how impo
David Schaafsma
6/23/17 Reread update, after reading it with my YA Comics/Graphic Novels class this summer. The way all great novels can be, better each time you read it, and it is always a privilege to experience reading with others who also like/love it, especially (for me) people who have never read anything like it before. Most of them have never read graphic novels. So many small details, the mundane, become important. Was choked up speaking with the class of the resolution, Alice, the mother, in the water ...more
Whitney Atkinson
May 27, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I wish there was a clearer evolution of charcter development but this is the first graphic novel ever where i've been able to relate to a character and I adored the art and plot!
Sesana
Dec 02, 2014 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This book is so incredibly, wonderfully beautiful that it almost hurts me to give it two stars. The art is all but perfect, with exactly the right level of detail. The individual characters are drawn as exactly that, individuals, and I never doubted who I was looking at. The expressions are also very clear. Best of all, the art is reproduced in the same lovely, smokey shade of blue as on the cover. If this had been a wordless book, I think I would have been perfectly happy.

But it's not. The bigg
Stacey (prettybooks)
This One Summer was the third book I picked up for my (unofficial) summer reads challenge. I spontaneously bought it a few months ago while paying a visit to Foyles, Charing Cross Road. I love the large graphic novel section in the shop and I bought This One Summer along with Through the Woods – and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed both!

I was expecting a cute and fluffy, picture perfect story about two girls and their summer friendship together in a beautiful beach cottage, enjoying the
Eilonwy

Three and a half stars, rounded up.

This is a very quiet, subtle story that other reviewers seem to either embrace or find very annoying because "nothing happens."

The Weird: This book is awkwardly unclassifiable. So far as I can tell, it's being promoted as a YA story, but main character Rose is too young for YA, as she seems to be around 12, and her friend Windy is a year and a half younger, so she's about 10. Then, much of the story is actually about adult problems.

I think kids from 11 or so
Liviania
May 08, 2014 Liviania rated it really liked it
Cousins Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki brilliantly capture the liminal time between being a teenager and being a child in their new graphic novel, THIS ONE SUMMER. Rose and Windy are friends who hang out every summer when their families visit Awago Beach. They like swimming and buying candy and renting R-rated videos, which they can get away with since the teenage clerk doesn't really care.

They're at the age where they're starting to clue into things like sex jokes, but don't really understand
Carlos De Eguiluz
May 09, 2017 Carlos De Eguiluz rated it liked it
3.5

Bastante rápida de leer. Trescientas veinte páginas y un arte bastante bonito.
La lección de que la interpretación de las cosas varía según el espectador.
Un verano real, sin locas fantasías y amores fugaces.
Estoy satisfecho.
Recomendable.

"—It feels good. Floating. It feels like flying."

"—We couldn't figure out what to bring you so we brought cupcakes and wine. And Balloons."

"—I'm a zombie. I have these crazy toughts. Like, I wish. I wish I was a little kid. So I could just scream and be mad.
Wendy Darling
Great artwork, lovely mood...but I think I just wanted more from this story.
Matt
Garbage.

Half a star for tricking someone into publishing this, and one star for the fantastic five-star artwork. Tragedy to have such great art with this dung heap narrative. Almost no plot, no conflicts, just a sour, artsy-liberal meditation with admittedly well-executed tone and very soft themes you have to really dig to find. Almost, ALMOST nothing really happens.

And the last lines, you ask? "maybe I will have massive boobs. Boobs would be cool." that's the nugget of truth we are left with in
Ferdy
Spoilers

I would have liked this more if the main character (Rose) hadn't been an absolute cow who did nothing but slut-shame girls she didn't even know. And when she wasn't doing that she was being bitchy and judgemental about her depressed mum. Unsurprisingly, when it came to the guys around her, she was all about worshipping them and excusing all their douchey behaviour. I was expecting a summery sort of read about two teenage girls growing up and whatnot. Instead I got a female hating, selfis
Melina de Souza
Jan 23, 2017 Melina de Souza rated it it was amazing
Tô encantada com esse livro.
Eu, que não gosto do Verão, fiquei com vontade de passar uns dias dentro dessas artes.

Adorei a amizade entre as protagonistas, as conversas delas e também a forma com que as autoras trouxeram, entre os temas banais e característicos dessa época da vida, conflitos familiares e mais adultos.

Já quero ler mais graphic novels dessas mulheres talentosas :)
Chris
Feb 19, 2017 Chris rated it really liked it
I'd had this book sitting on my shelf for ages and finally decided to pick it up and read it. A contemporary tale of a summer at the beach with family, This One Summer follows a girl seeking peace at home as well as finding herself at a time when we all begin to grow as people. She spends her days reading books, enjoying the beach air, and being with her hyperactive friend Windy. I wasn't expecting much here, but I did really enjoy this. It's a fun coming-of-age story with a level of maturity an ...more
Vitor Martins
Esse quadrinho tem uma sutileza incrível. A história caminha entre temas "adultos" e conflitos banais que surgem naquela idade onde a gente não é mais criança mas ainda não é adolescente. E os criadores dessa graphic novel fizeram essa transição de assuntos de uma maneira única!
A história tem um clima de verão, casa de praia e férias. É uma história muito gostosa de ler. A amizade entre as protagonistas é muito divertida e eu poderia ler páginas e páginas delas duas jogando conversa fora.

A arte
Nelson Zagalo
Jun 18, 2017 Nelson Zagalo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, literature
A história é boa mas está longe de ser brilhante, em compensação a ilustração é extasiante, o que faz do livro uma imensa e agradável experiência de leitura, mais ainda se lido no Verão.

Adorei também as onomatopeias assentes em verbos, como que a tentar criar uma forma de expressão distinta, mais direta mas mantendo a expressividade visual.

Ou seja, nota máxima para o trabalho de Mariko Tamaki (a ilustradora), nota menos boa para a prima Jillian Tamaki (a escritora).
Kelly
Gorgeous art. I dug the story but I think it's one that adult readers will like and "get" more than teens. Not that teens won't get it. . . but this is much more nostalgic about the illusion-shattering that comes when you grow up than it is about the events happening in-the-moment. It's overly conscious of what it's doing, rather than allowing the girls in the story to do the doing.

Longer review to come.
ALPHAreader
Dec 05, 2013 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing
Rose and her family are going for their yearly trek to the holiday cottage in Awago Beach. They’ve been coming here since Rose was five, and every inch of the sleepy little town is filled with happy memories. But this year it’s different – Rose’s parents are fighting more than ever after they decided to stop trying for a second baby. Rose’s mum would rather lock herself in her room, and even though her dad tells her not to worry about “adult junk”, their fights are getting louder and louder.

Perh
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This One Summer is about Rose. Every summer, her and her parents drive up to Awago Beach. She has an Awago beach friend, Windy, and her summers are her getaway. But this year things are different. Her parents are fighting. Her and Windy don't always get along, and get caught up in summer drama in Awago.

This book is an incredible look at a girl who is growing up. The art is captivating and beautiful, and the story is totally immersive. I'm so, so glad I read the book over the summer. It creates
Raina
Dec 17, 2013 Raina rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphicnovel, feminist
Mariko Tamaki is so good at writing people. The characters in this comic are so real and complex.
I read this a week or two ago and when I flip through the pages my heart swells when I see images of Windy, Alice, Jenny... even the minor characters pack a punch.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how spongy kids are - how much they pick up on, how closely they watch the older people in their lives - and this comic really digs into that phenomenon. You THINK your kid is just playing on the beach
Jenna
This graphic novel has staked out a little nighttime beach bonfire around my heart.

Really wonderful, understated, quiet, subtle "sketchy watercolor" drawings and storytelling that perfectly capture, as I recall, the dreamy and uncertain feelings of being a young adolescent girl on the cusp of young womanhood, in a summer-beach-cottage-hiatus setting that serves as a perfect metaphor for that paradise/purgatory of adolescence and emerging adulthood.

Rose is often consumed and confused as she's obs
  • Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir
  • The Shadow Hero
  • Jane, the Fox, and Me
  • SuperMutant Magic Academy
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • The Property
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan
  • Same Difference
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more
More about Mariko Tamaki...