Start by marking “The Devil in Her Way: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Devil in Her Way: A Novel

The Devil in Her Way: A Novel

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Maureen Coughlin’s life has changed in more ways than one. She is starting over in New Orleans as a newly minted member of the police force, but her transition from cocktail waitress to cop hasn’t gone as smoothly as she’d hoped. To her commanding officer’s amusement, Maureen kicks off her final week of field training by taking a punch to the face as a panicked suspect fle ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Picador (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil in Her Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil in Her Way

Matt Peters
Really liked watching Maureen develop as a character and learning to become a cop in this book. Even though he's now writing about a police officer, Loehfelm stuck with his regular-working-class-person-in-over-their-head element I love in his other books. She's not the know-it-all, super-slick super-cop. She's a trainee screwing up just about everything she touches! Very real and relate-able.

The plot of this story develops well and is intricate. It doesn't feel forced or contrived. The crimes a
Mike Cuthbert
This novel is interesting in its own right but also as an example of how form in a novel can take on another function. Loehfelm constructs his novel through his protagonist, a rookie cop in New Orleans, Maureen Coughlin. The time frame is post-Katrina so there is the opportunity to tell the story of the reclamation of parts of the city while giving ample chance for depictions of the problems still remaining. Using a rookie female cop allows ample treatment of a rookie’s problems with adjusting t ...more
Sandra
Face au Mal est un roman policier qui met en scène Maureen, qui a aperçu Sebastian, un homme politique connu, dans une position gênante. Dès lors, Sebastian fera tout pour impressionner Maureen et il la traque inlassablement pour la réduire au silence, laissant derrière lui morts et menaces.

Maureen de son côté n’avait déjà pas une vie facile avant cet incident. Serveuse de nuit dans un bar, elle peine à finir les fins de mois et travaille d’arrache-pied pour s’offrir une vie meilleure. Mais elle
Andy Weston
It seems like this would be just another police procedural, but it most certainly isn't.

Loehfelm has created a young police woman whose character combines with post-Katherine New Orleans to make this novel special. His writing is compulsive and may be called 'noir' by some, but it deals with the underside of the Big Easy and has uniqueness in that respect also.

I have read this out of sync, as it is book two in the series. It doesn't matter at all, and simply makes me keener to pick up the firs
Amy
Reviewed for Library Journal.

Maureen Coughlin, gutsy heroine of The Devil She Knows, has changed her career and locale hoping to start anew. No longer a cocktail waitress on Staten Island, NY, she has moved to New Orleans and recently graduated from the police academy. Paired with the irascible Preacher Boyd as her training officer, she is determined to prove herself. Responding to her first domestic dispute, Maureen ends up putting a suspect in the hospital and garnering the attention of three
Gloria Feit
Maureen Coughlin made her initial fictional appearance in “The Devil She Knows.” Now, at the age of 30, after being a waitress for nine years, living through a series of unrewarding relationships, and residing with her mother on Staten Island, she decides to become a cop. When the test for the NYPD is postponed, she applies and is accepted for the police academy in New Orleans. And that’s where this novel begins, with Maureen serving her probationary trial period under the tutelage of Preacher B ...more
George Lichman
Maureen Coughlin returns as the heroine of the newest Bill Loehfelm novel, The Devil in Her Way. Maureen made her first appearance in Mr. Loehfelm’s last novel, The Devil She Knows, as a late twenties bartender on Staten Island. She was tired, older than her age, with no plans to move forward. When she saw something she shouldn't have, she became embroiled in a power struggle amongst powerful people. She learned the hard way that she could only count on herself.

At the end of The Devil She Kno
Kdorman
Having not read any Bill Loehfelm before "The Devil in Her Way" I asked a friend that reads a lot of suspense if she had heard of him, she hadn't. When I began to describe the main female character (In fact that is how I got - female protagonist - she rolled her eyes and went on to say how bored she got reading suspense where a 98 pound 5"2 woman takes down 30 men without a bruise and solves the mystery in no time. I said "It's not like that at all".

Maureen Coughlin was first introduced in "The
Cate
Bill Loehfelm The Devil In Her Way Review

Bill Loehfelm's "The Devil In Her Way," a page-turning thriller following impulsive NOPD rookie Maureen Coughlin, is a perfect love letter to New Orleans.

New Orleans author Bill Loehfelm has lived in this city longer than me, but he is also a transplant. People who move to New Orleans from elsewhere often romanticize the city, and writers especially like to spend their first few years in town writing love letters to the city, to the smell of sweet olive and jasmine, to the beautiful brokenness
Lisa Schaad
This is the first book I've read from this author. It's the second book in the series for the main character, Maureen. The book is believable and a quick read. My biggest complaint/comment is the language. Typically the language in a book does not offend me, however, this book was slightly offensive as far as the language.

It's a dramatic read. Not laughs or chuckles while I was reading it.

Monica
This book is more about the training of rookie NOPD officer Maureen Coughlin than it is a crime novel, but that's not a bad thing. The relationship between eager, ambitious, bright, motivated Maureen and Preacher, her training officer, is really well written. Preacher is a street wise veteran, laid back and low key, but he knows how to get things done and he knows how to read and guide Maureen.

There is some crime, what starts as a call out on a domestic violence case leads to two murders and the
Holly
I really enjoyed this fast paced novel. It's a crime/mystery story with a great setting and an interesting main character. I hadn't read the previous one, which I need to do immediately(!), but you don't have to in order to fully enjoy this book. Set in New Orleans, you really get to feel the relief and angst that Maureen has when she moves to the city. it's a new beginning for her filled with both anticipation and trepidation. Newly minted from the police academy she had to learn the streets in ...more
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
Love the Maureen Coughlin character and look forward to the next installment. Strong, quick read. Well done.
Cathy Elliott
My first by this author. I liked it very well and have The Devil She Knows next to me to read soon.
Peter Fiske
Maureen is excellent. This is a very worthy sequel. I definitely want to read more.
Heather
Bill Loehfelm has created a cast of memorable characters that I can't wait to read more about. New Orleans police trainee Maureen Coughlin and her veteran officer trainer Preacher riff off of one another like the city's own jazz. Loehfelm paints a city on these pages full of history and heartbreak as it still grapples with identity from Katrina. A great read and a great start for Officer Coughlin, and I will eagerly be following her progress.

Received from Net galley.
The Advocate
"The book is a sequel to the 2011 'The Devil She Knows,' but prior reading is not required to understand this novel. Those seeking a fast-paced thriller may be disappointed, but Loehfelm delivers vivid descriptions, a thoughtful look at New Orleans’ lingering recovery from Hurricane Katrina, and an emotionally and physically realistic female protagonist."
Diana
Now I HAVE to go back and read The Devil in Her Way!! I must get the back history on Maureen....very interesting character, and I enjoyed being with her as she began to learn the culture of New Orleans. Hope to get to know her better in the New York setting, and looking forward to another New Orleans story - Bill, did you tell me you have another NOLA story to publish about Maureen when you signed my copy of "The Devil in Her Way" at Jazz Fest??
Alison Wallace Projansky
I enjoyed this book until the end, when it failed to resolve so many issues. A complete set up for the next one in the series. It is set in New Orleans when the heroine Maureen Coughlin (from The Devil She Knows) is a rookie cop. Too bad Loehfelm didn't tie this one up like the first book, but I will probably read the sequel...just be prepared for loose ends.
Juliet
Excellent introduction to Maureen's new life in New Orleans. Loved her mentor, Preacher, and wee cameos for her Mum and her new beau, the cop who heed Maureen out in New York. Slightly less pace than Devil She Knows, but setting up new scenarios always requires some time spent scene setting. A map of Nola in the end or forward papers would be awesome!
Mathew
Just finished reading Bill Loehfelm's novel "The Devil In Her Way"..an excellent read with an unforgettable heroine & me jonesing for a frozen cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde. Named one of the ten best crime novels of 2011 this adventure will not disappoint. I think my heart will always have a place there.

-----Mati
Dorothy
Loved this book. It's set in my home town of Staten Island but you don't have to be a New Yorker to love it. Fast paced read. Couldn't wait to find out what happened! I've read all three of Bill's novels. Liked them all but this was my favorite. Can't wait for Maureen's next adventure.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Disclaimer: This ARC was given to me for free in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

This was a great book. Entertaining and gritty.
Larry
A very tough young woman cop from New York makes her way in one of the toughest of criminal venues: New Orleans.
Liz
a nice followup to the first in the series
LaNita
LaNita added it
Dec 17, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Slom
Slom is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bitch
  • Throat of the Night (The Angelaeon Circle, #3)
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • Murder Simply Brewed (Amish Village Mystery #1)
  • The Lazarus Curse
  • Supercell
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • The Marijuana Chronicles
  • The Speed Chronicles
  • A Different Kingdom
  • Sexy Feminism: A Girl's Guide to Love, Success, and Style
  • The Fatal Crown
  • The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
  • Friends at My Table: Recipes for a Year of Eating, Drinking, and Making Merry
  • The Ways of Evil Men
  • The Good Cop: A Mystery (Carter Ross, #4)
  • My Irish Table: Recipes from the Homeland and Restaurant Eve
"THE DEVIL IN HER WAY is not only Bill Loehfelm's best book yet, but it may just the best mystery novel since James Lee Burke's THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN to have come out of post-Katrina New Orleans. I can offer no higher praise than to say that I finished it, and wanted to read more. A gem."
- John Connolly, best-selling author of WRATH OF ANGELS and BURNING SOUL

Look for Bill's first New Orleans-set
More about Bill Loehfelm...
The Devil She Knows Fresh Kills Bloodroot Doing the Devil's Work: A Novel Heroes & Villains - Osama bin Laden (Heroes & Villains)